NTFS for both Linux and Windows

I admit defeat Jow Forums. My autism won. I am going to dualboot Windows just for the games. There are a few titles that have been sitting in my library for quite a while and I would like to try them out. Sadly the Proton/Wine performance is subpar and passthrough seems like a pain in the ass. I am going to give my SSD to linux and have the Windows 7 use a 60-100GB partition on my storage drive. The rest is gonna be a NTFS storage partiton. Question is: How well do Linux and Win handle accessing the same NTFS. Is there something that could go wrong?

Attached: 0a3b9ba2e5357ec165cbd9797ee46d3e.jpg (1280x720, 64K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/maharmstone/btrfs
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Disk_Format
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You can't really put the main Linux OS on NTFS but it can basically safely use it in general.

Windows usually also safely uses NTFS

I dual boot with Mint and I found no problems accessing all drives interchangeably.

My setup is as follows:
>UEFI boot partition (100 MB)
>Windows 10 system partition (372 GB)
>NTFS partition for my files (300 GB)
>Ext4 Linux Mint partition (100 GB)
>Ext4 Home partition (150 GB)
>Legacy system recovery partitions (remainder)
>No swap (9 GB RAM, handles just fine)

Yeah should have been more specific with my drives. I have an SSD where I will put EFI partition, / partition and swap. Then I have a different HDD where I plan to put Win with it's own EFI partition and a partition that both systems will share for storage.

It depends, if you are booting into windows a lot, there shouldnt be an issue, but if you don't your drive will start to fragment because ntfs is shit
t. had a shared hdd between a linux/windows dualboot and didnt boot into windows for months, when I booted into windows, my drive was like 40% fragmented

>Windows 10 system partition (372 GB)
Whyn in the fuck would you burn almost 400GB for nothing?
My windows partition is about 65GB and it still has 25GB free space

NTFS will run slower, usually it's FUSE mounted on most linux systems unless you have it compiled into your kernel.

Dodge it if you can; EXT4's allocation strategy almost NEVER fragments unless you have 98% usage of disk and it intentionally short strokes all written content.

Windows has a BTRFS driver here too:
github.com/maharmstone/btrfs

No guarantee of absolute stability but it could make for a good filesystem to exchange with.

To be honest I am not really happy about installing Windows. I haven't used it in years and getting it just for games just feels retarded. I could just wait for Wine to get to the point where it runs fine but I finally got some more free time now.

FUSE isn't particularly bad in terms of performance though, and it should be much better tested than the btrfs driver for Windows.

literally shrink it down and allocate the space to the shared partition.

Video games were mentioned, that's probably why.

Gaymes. I will shrink it though once I'm done installing everything I want to play.

Can I just use the NTFS partition for games instead of the system one? Some games run fine in wine and I would like them to be in one place.

>games in the system partition
Why the fuck, again?
Leave the system partition for the system, put your stuff somewhere else

That's what I would like to do. But I am not sure if wine is fine with NTFS.

I used to run my games on the NTFS data partition but now I find it pointless. I don't really play games on Linux, and with Windows, it's meaningless because when you reinstall all the registries get fucked either way.

If you are planning to play on Wine it's a good choice though.

By the way, mine is something like
>500mb shitty windows recovery
>100mb UEFI
>64GB NTFS windows 10
>696GB NTFS data
>40GB EXT4 root
>128GB home

this is better than the other guy, just share the data partition across both for the bulk of your stuff like multimedia and games ezpz

questionable home size, but a home partition is nice if you distro hop or reinstall

Off-topic question but which one would you guys choose. Windows 7 or Windows 10 LTSC.

>inb4bsdfags

My setup () is with LTSC and it's comfy as fuck.

It's
>Completely debloated
>I disabled telemetry, both from config, regedit and also by blocking all MS telemetry IP addresses with firewall settings. A side consequence of this is that both Cortana and the App store got permanently disable but I'm OK with this.
>Installed Chocolatey and I use it to install, manage and update every single package except the games
>Run almost everything from keybindings and the console when possible
>Due to it being LTSC, I only get security updates
>Cygwin
>Honeyview for image previews, IceCat for browsing, Notepad++, GIMP for editing, qBittorrent, Wireshark for monitoring traffic, Clementine for music, MPV for videos, and MBAR for security
>I'm a walking Jow Forums meme, it basically runs like a weird Linux distro, slightly more bloated than Mint in ram usage but not by much

Well that sounds nice, will definitely borrow some of those ideas. I really hope I can still find my "WM" that I wrote for myself in AHK.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Disk_Format

be prepared to lose all your files. ntfs is shit.

win 10 does some weird shit with ntfs and i lost a lot of data, when you setup win 10 make sure you disable the fast startup thing, it basically doesn't shut your drive down properly and it wont work in linux

you can't run unix-like operating systems on ntfs as you can't have the read/write uid/gid permission stuff on it. by default, you can read ntfs as kernel supplies it but you need to install ntfs-3g to have write perms.

do keep in mind that if you move something with specific permissions to ntfs and move/copy it back to let's say extfs, it'll revert back to 777.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

sex, have it.

dilate

Warning: if you "shut down" windows 10, it's actually hibernation, and ntfs-3g might refuse to mount the drive rw until you do an actual shutdown (reboot is always a clean shutdown)

from experience, ntfs drivers for linux are finnicky and rather slow, avoid large file transfers and make sure you dont close/pause terminal while doing copies or you end up corrupting ur shit.

You can share a storage partition/drive just fine. NTFS will be pretty slow on Linux though but it shouldn't matter unless you put your Linux games there too.

True autism is rejecting all games except for Emacs tetris and Freeciv.

if it's a DirectX 9 game, install gallium nine. it's easiest to install winetricks first, and then run winetricks galliumnine.
enable it via wine32 ninewinecfg, and wine64 ninewinecfg.

for DirectX 12, install libvkd3d.

also winetricks dxvk

Why does Microsoft insist on using such an objectively awful filesystem?