Thoughts on the Nvidia Shield? How does it compare to other set tops?

Thoughts on the Nvidia Shield? How does it compare to other set tops?

Attached: 5709686_sd.jpg (1451x937, 89K)

I've had mine for a few years. It's super reliable. It runs any emulator I've thrown at it. I don't play many of the exclusive games or the Nvidia streaming games. MGS runs well on it.

They’re outdated now despite being great emulation machines, though hopefully the new ones are cheap.

how much are they currently, if they cost more than a nintendo switch the switch would be a better buy, they have the same processor and theres a los build being released for the switch soon

It's the only top box with cpu powerful enough to play hi10p anime with complex subs and high bitrate.
I love mine, use it daily

Can even run up to GameCube stuff in dolphin

Iirc they're 199$ but also run at 1Ghz, the switch is downclocked to 700mhz docked to avoid catching fire

yeah only on stock fw though, you can overclock on linux with no issues so you should be able to on android aswell, 200 dollars is cheaper tho so the shield is probably a better purchase

Attached: 58617403_p14.jpg (800x800, 201K)

>>>v

I like mine, but the shitty YouTube casting issues it has are annoying at. I mostly use it as a glorified Chromecast (with Ethernet) and if I queue up 6 or whatever YouTube videos, it'll skip maybe half of them. It's a known problem that won't be fixed since Nvidia has already dropped support/updates for it as all their devs are working on the new chipset.

>They’re outdated now
How are they outdated? There aren't any alternative Android boxes that perform anywhere near as well in emulation.

New one isn't out yet.

This.

Well the chipset is 4 years old and Nvidia is no longer providing support for it.

>Well the chipset is 4 years old and Nvidia is no longer providing support for it.
Uh? I got Android 9 on mine and get monthly updates

Also yes the chip is 4 years old but it's a powerhouse and still wrecks those chink boxes

Only step up is a NUC which will cost 500$ easily

overpriced and useless

t. brainlet

>to avoid catching fire

Based Wahoo

I love mine but I don't use it as much as I should, honestly wish I got more when it was $40

can it display ass/ssa subtitles without transcoding?

It's the best Android TV experience on the market, period. Both as a streaming box and as an emulator machine.

Just security. No new updates for stability or features are being worked on anymore.

Also, the tetra x1 is about on par with a modern i3, so there's plenty of nucs in the $300 range that will be better, and all of them can get 16-32gb of ram. The shield is stuck at 3gb, and 16gb of storage.(I fucking wish they kept the microSD slot on it. I don't care if it's slow, just give me a place to store my profile info for Plex or kodi, so it doesn't eat up my primary storage.)

I heard good things and plan to get one when I buy a TV. I've used roku and it sucks. There seems to be limitations with smart tv apps as well. most important thing to me is youtube app, prime video and netflix.

Its important to know the youtube app on the shield, along with its ability to cast youtube videos to it from your phone is broken and WONT BE FIXED. user here pointed it out. Does the same shit to me, and when i emailed nvidia about it they basically told me tough shit since they have moved all development over to a new device.

What videoplayer do you use?