Buy new ram

>buy new ram
>super excited
>try to install it
>shit doesn't fit into motherboard

fuck my life bros. motherboard is an old as fuck P8H67M_PRO, got it back in 2010 or so.

Definitely due for an upgrade, so let's go shopping for a new motherboard. What is a cheap but good cost-performance ratio motherboard that supports my new DDR4 3000MHz Ram?

Attached: asus-h61m-k-original-imaeywygecxk6d6y.jpg (832x538, 67K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_1155
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

msi b450-i gaming ac

seems good, thanks based user!

You're aware that with a new motherboard you'll also need a new processor, right?

it is an itx formfactor but the atx versions should be around the same price

Just be careful with the form factor, I lost a few hundred bucks back in 2010 because I bought an ATX board for a btx case. You should try to make that b**** last as long as possible, get the best ram you can for it. It's way more badass to run old equipment.

>It's way more badass to run old equipment.
Yee! Btw not OP here, coincidence that we're running the same motherboard.

Attached: Untitled.png (407x400, 19K)

really? fuck. why is that? anyway around this?

itx vs atx is different sizes?

i did get some pretty sweet ram (32gb) which is why I was so excited to try it out. haven't upgraded anything except for graphics card since i built this pc about 9 years ago (poorfag).

yes. itx is much smaller, the board in your OP pic is an mATX formfactor, ITX is smaller by removing the two PCI-e x1 ports.

>this thread

Attached: 1411502080621.jpg (359x391, 71K)

delete yourself

>why is that?
Intel like to introduce a new socket (the pin layout between motherboard and processor) every two processor generations just to screw over customers for money. AMD try to make processor generations and motherboards intercompatible for as long as possible but even they eventually run into technical difficulties that force them to abandon old hardware.

>itx vs atx is different sizes?
ITX is smaller than M-ATX, which in turn is smaller than ATX, but they all use the same screw layout. Your current motherboard is M-ATX, so automatically your computer case will also fit any ITX motherboard. To know whether it'll also fit ATX motherboards you'd need to tell or show us what it is.

>i did get some pretty sweet ram (32gb) which is why I was so excited to try it out. haven't upgraded anything except for graphics card since i built this pc about 9 years ago (poorfag).
Sorry to tell ya, but for the benefit of your wallet unless you have money for a motherboard and processor as well you're gonna have to return the RAM. There's no way to make your new RAM work on your old board. DDR3 RAM and DDR4 RAM are made physically incompatible on purpose because they would be incompatible in software anyway.

basically, you need to make sure that the ram is compatible with the board, and that the board is compatible with your case. This would be like ddr2 DDR3 for the RAM and for the case it would be ATX btx ITX. the only other thing to consider is that your power supply is strong enough to support your equipment. I blew a motherboard once by plugging a graphics card in without checking to see if the power supply can handle it. You only learn that lesson once haha

>This would be like ddr2 DDR3 for the RAM
What the fuck are you talking about?

imagine not having a nice z68 board lmao

Attached: lmaoing at ur board.png (3148x1747, 496K)

thats just really not how that works
your board only supports sandy bridge and ivy bridge processors and DDR3 memory.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_1155

you cant put anything other than a sandy bridge or ivy bridge processor in there, intel i series 2000 and 3000 series, pentium G6xx/G8xx, celeron G4xx/5xx or pentium 2000 and celeron 1000 series

it will only take ddr3, any non ECC desktop ddr3 dimms will work

if you want to use DDR4 you need a motherboard/processor that take ddr4, the oldest consumer tier hardware being Skylake, Z170/H110/B150 chipsets with 6th gen i series processors

Underage b&

Are you retarded?

H67M is a great motherboard, stick to it until it dies. No CPU from those days supports DDR4, though.
I suggest you overclock your RAM with the base clock and change the timings. Look up Tech Yes City, greatest poorfag tips&tricks channel. You can also buy a really really nice $20-$30 Xeon off aliexpress, OC it and the RAM, and basically get a ryzen 1600 setup. Then 1-2 years later when the mobo poofs, then you can buy a new one with a new CPU.

The P67 was seen as an odd inbetweener at the time but it fit my requirements perfectly. USB 3.0 (only at the back though lol), overclocking unlocked, and I had no intentions to use unboard graphics like the Z68 supports. No reason to buy a Z68.

>P8H67M_PRO
>P8P67-M PRO
>Same motherboard

Nah I'm asking because what fucking board supports both DDR2 and DDR3? Why the hell would you mention both in direct succession?

Yeah I literally noticed that ten seconds ago lol

Because I was giving examples of types of ram, further on the post I go "atx btx ITX" too as examples

Yeah but an ATX case will fit an ITX motherboard, whereas a motherboard will fit one kind of RAM and NONE OTHER.

>What is a cheap but good cost-performance ratio motherboard that supports my new DDR4 3000MHz Ram?
Doesn't exist if you also want it to support your old CPU. Your CPU only supports DDR3, you cannot use it with DDR4.