A CPU with only 1 core, but with 8 times the speed of the fastest core would be 128 times more valuable

A CPU with only 1 core, but with 8 times the speed of the fastest core would be 128 times more valuable.

fact.

Attached: 1.gif (1184x1184, 83K)

Other urls found in this thread:

physicsbuzz.physicscentral.com/2009/10/pc-speed-limit.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limits_of_computation
extremetech.com/extreme/185027-the-vacuum-tube-strikes-back-nasas-tiny-460ghz-vacuum-transistor-that-could-one-day-replace-silicon-fets
phys.org/news/2017-04-vacuum-channel-transistor-combines-semiconductors.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanoscale_vacuum-channel_transistor
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

it would also violate the laws of physics and not be real

Are you sure?
I know the silicon transistor is dying (at progress) but what if there is a paradigm jump.

Silicon on sapphire is the next new thing, it's existed forever but it will need to be pursued to make gains in the future.

Look up "limits of computation ". We are nowhere near making computers as fast as they can be by the laws of physics.

Which core are you calling the fastest core? 128 times more valuable than what?

The laws of physics and what we can effectively produce is not allowing much past 5Ghz speeds.
The solution was just "more cores"

While I agree, currently it isn't possible to create a 40Ghz processor.

Read physicsbuzz.physicscentral.com/2009/10/pc-speed-limit.html particularly James Redford's comment.

Whatever you say Intel.

>make 8 cores
>call them 1 core
>dude, it's VLIW
>profit

Not OP but man thanks. Reading about that briefly has been quite interesting.

>physicsbuzz.physicscentral.com/2009/10/pc-speed-limit.html
yeah this was a good link but apparently it has a problem with HTTPS. anyway en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limits_of_computation is a link with HTTPS. it also talks about the limit for speed of computation.

>2014
extremetech.com/extreme/185027-the-vacuum-tube-strikes-back-nasas-tiny-460ghz-vacuum-transistor-that-could-one-day-replace-silicon-fets

>2017
phys.org/news/2017-04-vacuum-channel-transistor-combines-semiconductors.html

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanoscale_vacuum-channel_transistor

I got an extremely fast drive and it's pretty clear (before I even reach its fastest speed) that the cpu is the clearest bottleneck in various stuff.
e.g. OS starts with 1 core maxing up.
I know RAM can be an issue too but that's only if it's too low or on specific applications.

Have you ever used a single core cpu? If a thread would hang (and they will every so often) it will hang the complete cpu as well. It could take 20 minutes to kill the task that was hanging the cpu. Sure regular consumers (which include gaymers) wouldn't have a use case for 32 core cpus but single core cpus would be even worse for them.

Those 32 core cpus are meant for professional workloads anyway. A server cpu would perform less in gaymes then a good consumer grade cpu even if the server grade cpu is better. Why? The consumer chip is meant for consumer workloads while the server one is meant for server workloads. You wouldn't buy a steamroller instead of a regular car because it is more expensive and high end and complain about it being slower and having a worse mileage then a regular car either.

PS. I got to mention though memory of cpu is often mixed up with the entire concept of "cpu" while it's not technically exactly that.

e.g. the exact same frequency i5 will be usually slower than the i7 just because it has less L3. (on one core.

> Have you ever used a single core cpu? If a thread would hang (and they will every so often) it will hang the complete cpu as well.
OSes switch context all the time so a hanged process has 0 slowdown.
I think you're trying to say if a spinloop happened it would 100% the cpu.
That is a legitimate concern though it's a special case.
The thread is mainly a conceptual idea.
Obviously, if a core tech were 8X it wouldn't be just 1, it would be probably at least 4.

How do we get to this mythical 40Ghz CPU? How do you propose cooling this in a laptop

This. I have only had this happen when I set a process to realtime priority and it went into an infinite loop.

I never said I know how to do it faggot.

If a cpu had one core, and that core was 8 times as fast as that one core, it would 128 times more valuable?

What the flying fuck are you even trying to say, and what are the burgers in this thread responding to?

Lrn 2 English, faggot.

> What the flying fuck are you even trying to say
I'm surprised you're the first to not know why.
Have you ever played an FPS game in your life?
Have you noticed they only use like 1 or 2 or max 3 cores?
Imagine the FPS when in effect, that 8X speed CPU would make them practically at least 4 times faster.

PS. Also even when booting an OS, even a modern OS. Even an extremely fast drive can only feed the CPU like 300MB/s before the CPU chokes because it's practically limited by the speed of 1 core or max 2 during booting.

>he doesn't overclock his CPU to 8GHZ and cool it with liquid nitrogen

Not gonna make it.

Attached: bee yourself.gif (914x1091, 30K)

>super fast and heat + radiation resistant
>except it wears out so customers have to keep buying new ones
Perfect!

Supermassive black hole computer when?

Just overclock an i9, it should get hot enough to start fusing hydrogen.