On June 21st America’s Commerce Department blacklisted another five Chinese supercomputing entities on the grounds...

economist.com/business/2019/06/29/an-american-ban-hits-chinas-supercomputer-industry

On June 21st America’s Commerce Department blacklisted another five Chinese supercomputing entities on the grounds that they too pose a threat to national security. The export ban prohibits American firms from selling them chips and “interconnects” that allow chips to talk to each other. An army-led institute that designed chips for the latest world-beating machine is on the list, as is Sugon, which has built a third of China’s 100 fastest ones.

So is Hygon, born of a joint venture in 2016 between Sugon and Advanced Micro Devices (AMDD), an American semiconductor firm. Intel chips dominate high-powered computing in desktops, servers and supercomputers. But AMD makes advanced ones compatible with Intel’s technology. The $293m arrangement gave Hygon the ability to make slightly slower near-replicas of AMD’s designs—and China a domestic manufacturer of crucial components.

The latest ban chokes off practically all of AMD’s dealings with Hygon. Transfer of intellectual property and technical support are proscribed. The manufacturer of the copycat chips, GlobalFoundries, is American, so it too is banned from working with Hygon.

Attached: image.png (1400x1400, 828K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Izea72ojj3s
androidauthority.com/breaking-huawei-allowed-to-do-business-with-us-companies-again-1004260/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The deal already concluded champ.
AMD stated that they sold of 14nm designs to the chinks not cutting edge stuff.
Oh and they already stated they wont be doing any more business with chinks with or without "ban".

The funny thing is that the Chinks still hold the monopoly over 5G

>The manufacturer of the copycat chips, GlobalFoundries, is American, so it too is banned from working with Hygon.

Does this mean the chips are fabbed in NYC? wth the world is so weird

The article looks more like a hit piece.
GlobalFoundries was AMD internal manifacturer to CPUs.
Few years back they invested a lot of money into it.
There is a great article about it on HardOCP.

After they failed to deliver the technology and manufacturing capabilities of 7nm CPUs AMD told everyone that GlobalFoundries from now on will produce nothing smaller than 12nm and that AMD is moving 7nm manufacturing operations to TSMC Taiwan.
So they wont just sit around with all this money spent and no work being done.
Of course they will produce for customers and it turns out that China fucking wants a lot of CPUs right now.

Based America, thanks for ending the Chicom menace.

youtube.com/watch?v=Izea72ojj3s

NY*

>AyyyMD sells out to the Chicoms

Yikes

Good thing I've never owned nor bought an AyyyMD product ever

wow another standard that will be obsoleted after a year and a half after deployment will have to be missed out on by a small sector
what a shame

Attached: intel-campus-fab-68-sign-traffic-china_hdmahfm8__F0010.png (1920x1080, 1.55M)

>wow another standard that will be obsoleted after a year and a half after deployment
Not if people can survive getting microwaved during a phone call

Why are people so obsessed over 5G? Literally no phones support it yet

Huawei phones do

which models

>GlobalFoundries, is American
top kek, not anymore. AMD sold it to the saudis IIRC.
of course the US govt isn't worried about the saudis, they are friends, even though they did 9/11: 28pages.org

I wouldn't know since the US banned them from being available in the Americas, along with 5G networking

ban was lifted today
google it

Burden of proof is on you for saying the ban was lifted.

androidauthority.com/breaking-huawei-allowed-to-do-business-with-us-companies-again-1004260/

>androidauthority.com
It's like saying you get all of your real news from Huffington Post

it wasn't, trump said US companies can sell stuff as long as what they sell doesn't affect national security, which is the same argument used to ban Huawei.

>muh source autism
literally no augment

See And stay butthurt for being retarded.

refer to this thread
also seek help from a professional.

>Too lazy to know what's fake news and what isn't
See Stop seething like a libtard

>Why are people so obsessed over 5G?
Hell if I know
mmWave 5G only benefits cell providers and telecos, both I could give less of a shit about
Yes consumers can get 1gbps over a cell network WOW, but only for urbanites and nothing has been said about being more generous on data caps so it's all moot in the end

>Data caps
It takes 10 minutes for someone in Finland to upload a 1 GB MP4 file from there phone to a remote server over 4G.

>Finland

It must suck to be American.

No they don't. Huawei was first to market with a base station, but that base station 100% runs on American microelectronics. Without American chips there are no Huawei base stations. Anyway other companies are now selling 5G base stations too so their temporary advantage is moot.

Why would you do that when you can get gigabit fiber in euroland?

femanon here.

I can confirm, i run a small camshow for real people on Gb/s fibre.

I have fun and make money doing it.