RedHat is openly admitting they want to kill x.org now

First System D, now Weyland, next? Get rid of those stinky GNU tools and dual license everything in the future. With Microsoft providing the UI.

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=X.Org-Maintenance-Mode-Quickly&ref=hvper.com

Attached: Screenshot_20190629_123113.png (771x706, 145K)

Other urls found in this thread:

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Systemd-1.2-Million
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenocara
drewdevault.com/2019/02/10/Wayland-misconceptions-debunked.html
github.com/swaywm/wlroots
github.com/swaywm/wlroots/wiki/Projects-which-use-wlroots
drewdevault.com/2019/05/01/Announcing-wio.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Linux is dead, "open source" is dead, BSD is all we have left now.

Attached: 8813325489_a3796c4a69_b.jpg (1024x683, 177K)

>BSD is all we ha--

Attached: Eric Allman & Marshall Kirk McKusick - HARD GHEYS.jpg (640x480, 65K)

Red hat is the Linux example of the good old "Embrace, Extend, Extinguish"
First they did that with init by replacing it with systemd, then with consolekit by replacing it with logind, eventually DNS and now they're killing Xorg. Fuck RedHat and fuck everything about them. I hope another entity continues Xorg's development.

Go shill somewhere else faggot

Based and redpilled.

Xorg is a massive pile of shit though, and it's been shat on for this reason for all eternity. If it would die, nothing of value would be lost.

Sysvinit and X were both garbage, and systemd and wayland are leagues better. Jow Forums just hates anything new, good, or popular.

You have zero arguments as to why Wayland is better. Wayland is slower, less secure and heavy on resource usage.

No they're not better, System D and Weyland are both massively bloated.

This, nobody has ever convinced me that Weyland is better, they just repeat the claim that "soon it will be what you use."

That's not how it works. I don't need some giant mega-corp conglomerate telling me how to use my computer.

Attached: Screenshot_20190621_191124.png (1063x420, 68K)

>Wayland is slower, less secure and heavy on resource usage.
None of those things are true

yes they r

>systemd is better
It (supposedly a fucking init system) literally has more than 1.2 million lines of code, that's more than an entirely functional kernel.
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Systemd-1.2-Million

Xorg was massively more bloated than Wayland though.

Red Hat have been the evil guys for a long time. Sadly all the other big distros such as Debian and Arch just follow along and adopt a lot of their cancer. I really wish that Devuan project would get enough people to rival Debian.

I for one can't wait till Xorg is killed completely. Follow the way, use Wayland. Be modern, be speedy, be next Gen.

They are all true. You can run X on a computer with 4 megabytes of memory.

That's not true at all unless you're counting the finished legacy drivers for pretty much every display adapter ever made. The core system is much much MUCH smaller than Weyland.

Wayland is bloated and slower. No, we're not going to just accede to Google / Red Hat / IBM corporate shilling.

what they're not telling you is that NO gayland compositor (ie wm) works
gnome has sluggish frame drops
if it wasn't for sway gayland would have been COMPLETELY useless and unusable

What does systemd do and why is it no being replaced when its so big and inefficient?

I'm just switching everything to OpenBSD and saying fuck Linux completely. The cancer has metastatized, see pic:

oh no linux is evolving for once.
theres still slackware and gentoo and bsd if you want to be autistic.

>typical shill portraying things in a backwards fashion
You don't understand (or you do, but you're Jewish and a liar), system d is the bloated replacement. It replaces init + daemontools, which was much lighter and actually POSIX compliant.

>evolving
devolving you mean

>What does systemd do
It was supposed to be an init system (i.e. the thing that loads your services when the computer starts, monitors them and whatnot) now it's trying to take over everything. From bootloaders, to DNS, to logins, etc.
Not only is this, but the company behind it (RedHat) has other projects with a similar behaviour like Wayland. Redhat is literally trying to control everything related to a Linux desktop.
>and why is it no being replaced when its so big and inefficient?
Because of the corporate influence that RedHat has.

Getting rid of deprecated trash is the way forward. Holding on to legacy software would make GNU/Linux more like Windows.

>shit that's worked for close to 30 years being replaced with shit that hasn't worked and that no one wanted
you sound like an Apple shill.

The goal is obviously to close everything and dual-license. You can be "stuck on" Linux with sysvinit and X, but soon new versions of the Soros and Google browsers won't work on your "legacy" systems.

The time to resist this nonsense is now, this is nothing short of a corporate power grab for the last vestiges of computing freedom.

>all this redhat shilling
hahaha

Holding on to software that tries to do everything is the thing that makes GNU/Linux more like Windows.

X and sysvinit aren't deprecated, they work much better and more reliably than the modern bloated semi-proprietary replacements like Wayland and systemd.

You are forgetting KDE and dbus

It's too late to resist, I just switched to *BSD and everything just werks without non-sense.

It's interesting to see the tack the shills take, all this new bloated garbage is "the way forward" and anything that actually works and has wide adoption is "legacy" and "deprecated."

Red Hat aka IBM must employ a legion of street shitter shills.

Prove that you switched and besides: You can't win anything if you don't even fight. Shit mentality. You have a retard mentality.

Not him but I switched to OpenBSD.

Attached: Screenshot_20190616_194956.png (723x471, 9K)

all this pro x.org supporters fail to give me examples of wayland beeing semi-propietary

>Prove that you switched
Sure:
$uname -rs
OpenBSD 6.5

>and besides: You can't win anything if you don't even fight. Shit mentality. You have a retard mentality.
I already fought, I switched to Gentoo and an other non-redhat-isms distros, I always faced a constant stream of problems and inconveniences, eventually I said fuck it, grabbed an OpenBSD flash drive and everything worked fine.

>the code is the spec
same trick jewgle uses, it's proof and example all in one

why would you want to write your own implementation of wayland?

How else would you understand the code? And how would you port Wayland to other operating systems?

>the code is the spec
>oops we just dual licensed the code to a closed source license, good luck maintaining the out of date legacy deprecated wayland which you can access
For Wayland to be widely adopted there needs to be an actual formal specification.

*btw this is the plan for systemd and webm and webp and vp8 and vp9...

but why would you take that developer strategy

its just the gui

just use qt or gfx-hal (rust)

Interesting point to mention: Redhat also seems to be distancing itself from Poettering lately.
They're replacing PulseAudio (a poettering project) with Pipewire, and the official site for Flatpak actually bothers to make a clarification that it does not depend on Systemd. They're obviously not going to be getting rid of Systemd any time soon, but it seems they're trying to remove Poettering's shit everywhere else and make sure much of their other developments don't require it.

What are you talking about?

No, we'll just use Xenocara into the future. Nobody even wants Wayland, we're just being informed that it will simply be rammed up our asses for no reasons which need explaining, and why explain to us plebs anyway?

Open source / Free software only works when there's mindshare. And currently mindshare is fleeing from Linux toward BSD.

Based.

i disagree, sysvinit is still valid and i personally enjoy writing my init scripts. it's comfy, supported and small, does what it needs to do. is it a bit primitive? sure, absofuckinglutely, especially when compared to what systemd offers but doesn't mean that it still does the job while being smaller.

Attached: stallman.jpg (1536x1536, 352K)

Nice.

doesn't mean that it can't do the job while being smaller*

I have no fucking idea what Redhat tries to do. Now I've read that Pulseaudio is going to be replaced by another Redhat shit named Pipewire, which is some kind of gstreamer wrapper and is integrated with flatpak or something. They went full turbo-retard.

RedHat is trying to control everything in the Linux eco-system, from init to the fucking sound. They need to be stopped.

> Packages 91
Wuahaha.

Attached: 15607628061930.jpg (846x900, 441K)

But it hasn't really worked. Its a big goddamn dumpster fire that you fuckheads bitch about with a dedicated thread at least once daily. Linux needs to consolidate and standardize to be viable.

Attached: 1560911007445.png (629x1173, 131K)

>Wayland is bloated
based retard

>gun toting pro free speech pro Unix men who just happen to be gay but it’s no big deal
VS
>Redhat slash IBM transfag who thing it should be illegal to stop them from molesting your children and having anal sex during parades

X and sysvinit work great and there is no bitching about them.

Anyway please define what you mean by “viable,” viable for what?

It's extremely bloated. You can put X on a floppy.

An ecosystem vs a hobbyists plaything.

Ecosystem vs. redhats ego-system

But Linux became an "ecosystem" with sysvinit and x, why is it so critical that we ditch these proven technologies right away?

Oh yeah, they're all to become dual-licensed and closed as soon as it's judged that uptake has been broad enough.

Based and redpilled.

Do you think that was a joke?

Attached: 1560942570999.jpg (1080x1080, 188K)

Fragmentation does not equal adaptability. But yeah the licensing is fucking retarded.

Point to an example of Redhat doing this. Ever.

Also, "it started out this way so it should stay that way" is not a good argument. *nix computers started out without screens using fucking teletypes. Why is it so critical that we ditched that proven technology right away?

There is no fragmentation except that being pushed by RedHat. Before they decided that Linux = systemd/gnome/wayland shit worked great on any distro.

They already did it with their two distros.

Another wheel gets reinvented in Linux world. Too many things that aren't broke are replaced and held together with GNU duct tape. I switched to OpenBSD a while ago and won't be looking back.

>shit worked great on any distro.
False and also not any hardware.

True and all hardware.

Byuu, log in. You forgot to enter the ripcode once again.

OpenBSD developers maintain their own fork of X.Org, called Xenocara, also many *BSD maintain the Unix tradition of simplicity, while at the same time they leave you a modern OS on which you can install almost every modern program in one way or another.

>They already did it with their two distros.
>True and all hardware.
I don't even have a dog in this race, but what the fuck are you talking about?

systemd the init system has way less than a million lines of code, the other lines are for services provided by systemd which afaik nobody is forced to use but many distros already do by default (i think ubuntu was the last one)

There is very little actual work being done on Xenocara. The only real changes made were to the build system to get it to work on openbsd.

>Jow Forums now forced to defend xorg despite it being bloated as fuck and barely maintained

Attached: 1543796101812.png (399x322, 12K)

No. They included many patches to implement proper privilege separation:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenocara

the bsnes guy? does he post on Jow Forums

Aside from privilege separation, Xenocara includes many cool stuff, like Xenodm and CWM.

>>That's not how it works. I don't need some giant mega-corp conglomerate telling me how to use my computer.
is that why its so easy to find linux distros without systemd?
>inb4 rolls your own distro
yes everyone should do this, everyone has time to learn to do this.

That's the great thing about free software. If you don't like the way things are heading, just fork Xorg and make it better. If it really turns out to be, people will start using your version and """RedHat""" can suck you micropenis.

proof that Jow Forums is purely contrarian

wayland is fake AND gay

Anyone that equates systemd to wayland in any way (development style, adoption rate, quality, etc.) is a fucking retard that should commit suicide.

>but muh freedesktop
And they share virtually no developers with each other at al. The projects are nothing alike. Also if you seriously defend Xorg, you should also kill yourself.

>bloated as fuck
dumb frogposter, it would be fine if whalend was any less.

/thread

Im okay with wayland taking over, so long as they dont force me to use Systemd to do it like all of their other bullshit.

I'm , I use both Linux and OpenBSD, I'm not shilling Wayland over X.Org or vice versa.
Sure everything coming from RedHat and FreeDesktop.org "is cancer for the Linux ecosystem", and I can agree with that.
But there is a lot of misconceptions about Wayland, many appear to don't understand what/who/where is Wayland, and why is bad or good.
Wayland (the protocol) in the way that was implemented on wlroots, is pretty minimal (50K loc), almost complete, is what Sway uses and what Purism are using on their Librem phone. The developers refuse the bloat, and code complexity or adding to many freatures, don't take my words!, see their github repo. The original developer is a suckless/plan9 fan, and has a personal side-project now marking a Plan9's Rio like window manager based on wlroots. There are also a lot of Wayland projects that are switching to wlroots, they are a major player in Wayland ecosystem now, which is good for all.

drewdevault.com/2019/02/10/Wayland-misconceptions-debunked.html
github.com/swaywm/wlroots
github.com/swaywm/wlroots/wiki/Projects-which-use-wlroots
drewdevault.com/2019/05/01/Announcing-wio.html

Read or remain ignorant.

Attached: subway_girl.jpg (533x810, 86K)

>anything that actually works [...] is "legacy"
yes, that is the definition of "legacy". old stuff that works.
I have no idea why people are throwing the term around like it is something derogatory.

>ignorant
You should call people ignorant when you don't even understand the criticisms and the art of programming.
I know those websites and these arguments already.

Attached: 1546625674009.jpg (640x1136, 85K)

Should not*

sigh

Man I am so glad I am on Windows ™

>I use both Linux and OpenBSD
Careful, the Linux trannies are going to call you a traitor.

>That's the great thing about free software. If you don't like the way things are heading, just fork Xorg and make it better.
Ok good you going to perform the fork or wait until nobody does anything?

I hate so much people that praises one OS like religios fanatics.
They are the most deluded people.
You should be able to use and manage as many OSes as possible before say "I am good at computers".

> I know these websites ≠ I read ≠ I do

>as many OSes as possible
That's not what I meant, I was making fun of the cult of Linux because most of them can't handle seeing other operating systems without causing a stupid drama.

>redhat makes wayland
>redhat now wants to use it
Wow!

>redhat makes wayland
>redhat now wants to enforce it
Wow!