Software "Engineers" are not real Engineers

>Software "Engineers" are not real Engineers

Prove me wrong

Attached: real engineers.jpg (1000x667, 87K)

>Nice use of green text, OP

Attached: 9bd.jpg (415x203, 29K)

That which is asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

>evidence
>of rhetoric

in a competition this weekend, hosted by a bunch of city partners. all of them gave us sample data to find ”””insight”””. essentially a data science problem.
> team goes and try to create a web application for visualization.
>spent the last month switching frameworks.
>meet with ”””mentors”””, all of them buttblast our team.
correctly identify the problem the first day, gets ignored by “smarter” team mates. I WANT TO DIE. I wish I went into HVAC

Attached: images.jpg (200x200, 9K)

It's true. Engineers are members of professional organizations and can be held accountable for endangering the public. Software "engineers" can get called in front of Congress for screwing over billions of people and then they just continue doing it with no ramifications.

They are metaphorical "engineers".

what about software developers who create firmware for missiles, nuclear power plants, and medical equipment?

Imagine thinking that the people who write code for bank transactions etc. in COBOL wouldn't be held accountable if everything went apeshit.

sure got quiet here after these posts

>be software engineer
>write shitty web applications all day
>fucking hate modern web development, hate web developers, hate dealing with flavor of the week library, framework, toolchain
>hate that i need a fucking compiler for javascript
>hate plain text websites with 3MB of JS dependencies
>looking at my options for transitioning out of web development
>only options in my area are missile systems, medical equipment, and bank transaction mainframes
I feel like I'm good at what I do, but I've never been in a scenario where if I break something it could literally cost billions of dollars or kill someone.
Are these the last fields available that haven't gone to web apps?

prove yourself right

I've written software that runs on a large quantity of oil drilling rigs in the US. The software is real-time and communicates through custom hardware operating down-hole, sending data and commands back and forth via mud pulse telemetry. Things going wrong could cause lives lost, environmental disasters, and tens of thousands of dollars for hours of downtime on land rigs, way more for offshore.

I only majored in CS and I have "engineer" as part of my title- stay mad.

interesting. did you work with proprietary software?
and what languages did you work with?

the software sure had to pass a million tests before going live

>did you work with proprietary software?
Everything was developed in-house, for company use only. Primarily Microsoft Dev tools.

>and what languages did you work with?
C# / WPF on the front-end
SQL server for data
C++ / Fortran for data processing, some old applications used MFC.

True, since the NCEES just discontinued the PE exam for software engineering this year.

There's tons of embedded shit that isn't web apps and won't kill someone

how good are you at C++? did you use new features or it was C++98?

Software engineering is not software development.
Software engineering has the same definition and uses basically the same process as any other engineering.
You probably don't even know what software engineers do, faggot.

I'm decent. It was pre-C++11 unfortunately, I mostly got to work in C# which I enjoy way more. With value types, arrays, and avoiding some of the more performance-impacting features it was worth taking certain performance hits for easier maintainability and safety.

Mechanical engineer that took a software engineer job. You are now technically wrong, and I expect a check in the mail by Tuesday.

Attached: 1481698252505.gif (422x309, 447K)

why?
who the fuck cares what you think?

I'm not seeing them around here. I'm totally fine with moving if it means I don't have to deal with this shit anymore.
Modern web development was a mistake. I sincerely believe this.

t. Human Resources Engineer

This. The software engineer isn't required to write any code because that's not what his job is; yes, he can code, but that's just a secondary skill. Saying that a software engineer is just a software developer is like saying a mechanical engineer is just a mechanic.

Calling yourself Software Engineer is literally illegal here because we aren't some 7th world shithole like the US that gives out titles to code monkeys to make them feel special. So yes, you are completely right.

>here
what country?

Germany. And that applies to most other European countries too. The title of Engineer usually has a legally binding definition. Here depending on the federal states law you usually get high money penalties and your company will definitely fire and blacklist you for that bullshit.

Hey, as long as I get paid well

>OP is not a straight person

Prove me wrong

burgers code monkeys really believe they're "engineers"

Attached: ha.gif (300x296, 1.86M)

Wageslavery is about two things:
Solve your daily tasks in effective manner and spend the rest of day fapping on toilet or shitposting online so you can go home.

Building network of friendly coworkers and slowly climbing corporate ladder either by killing (professionally) anybody standing in your way or crawling into their assholes.

In neither scenario you will get praise for good work. Thats why you are paid: so nobody has to praise you.

u jelly? if the some of the world's largest corporations call me an engineer, who am I to argue?

Just wanted to say I worked in your country frequently over the past few years and I absolutely hate your country and people. Good beer though.

>if I can't put my dick inside it doesn't exist
Cool approach to concept of product.

Trust me I also hate the people here.

But mechanical engineerings are mechanics who know basic calculus (sometimes)

t. Aerospace engineer

Was trying to bait you because I hated my time there but now I feel bad. Chin up, German bro.

You're absolutely right dude. I took a software engineering course and these bitches wouldn't last 5 seconds in an actual engineering class.

Software engineers are not real engineers. They don't apply engineering principles. Their purpose isn't engineering in nature. They're glorified bureaucratic paper-pushers who produce documentation that serves no real purpose. They're a drain on resources in any engineering department. Codemonkeys do more work than these halfwits.

Yeah baiting me with my country doesn't really work. It's absolutely beautiful if you travel outside of the big cities but the people really ruin it for me. Once I am done with my Masters I am out of here.