/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Do not dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: 1561844933106.jpg (425x450, 101K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/lwfinger/rtlwifi_new
packages.debian.org/stretch/all/firmware-realtek/download
howtogeek.com/117579/htg-explains-how-software-installation-package-managers-work-on-linux/
github.com/nickspaargaren/pihole-google/blob/master/README.md
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Is there some headless daemon i can run on my server that i can then run some headless apk on my android that allows me to copy/paste in both directions?

Is there some offline text to voice converter that will take sentences and prodices a wav/mp3 from them?

Install Jow Forumsuix

Attached: guix.png (500x849, 508K)

>Install various distros on laptop
>Brightness stays constant
>Install popOS
>Always boots at 40% brightness no matter what settings I change

Anyone else have this happen with this distro and manage to fix it?

>popOS
>fix it
the photons would topple you over s.o.yboy

Attached: 1560975699626.gif (413x243, 51K)

Great picture m8, and not even using GuixSd, yet.

How am I supposed to install these wireless drivers when I physically can't even connect to ethernet?

What's a minimalist program that will graph the sound spectrum of audio being played by any other program?

The same way you are posting this

I am posting from my desktop. Need to get wifi drivers working on this laptop. The device in question is this Realtek device b822

OK?
SO?
Download the drivers

Put the driver on a USB flash drive.

The drivers aren't just a single .exe i can easily install. It's in a git repo and I need to install a bunch of different programs to even install them
github.com/lwfinger/rtlwifi_new

OK
SO?
git clone and install them?

I don't have the required tools to compile and install
>OK
>SO?
I don't have the required dependencies to install the program
>OK
>SO?
I don't have the dependencies to install the dependencies
See where I'm going with this? Boy it sure is a pain in the ass installing drivers in Linux when they aren't included in the kernel.

use a wifi cable

Attached: 1561658677885.jpg (500x500, 73K)

OK?
SO?
Get all the fucking packages your retarded ass needs for your broken prop hardware drivers and throw it on the mother fucking installation medium and do all the bullshit you need to do?

YOU are the only one holding you back
> Boy it sure is a pain in the ass installing drivers in Linux when they aren't included in the kernel.
We just download them and fucking install them during config

This laptop (HP Stream 14 (i got for free)) doesn't have an ethernet port

>We just download them and fucking install them during config
Xubuntu doesn't even detect the wifi, shit head.

>Get all the fucking packages your retarded ass needs for your broken prop hardware drivers and throw it on the mother fucking installation medium and do all the bullshit you need to do?
Wew lmao, go fuck yourself you retard.

How do you guys manage connecting to bluetooth devices? I use a script that sends the commands to bluetoothctl but it kinda sucks because I have to disconnect and connect every time, and it's even worse for my keyboard because it only works if I do this process twice for some reason. Is there anything like "the moment you see this device is available, connect to it"?

>Xubuntu doesn't even detect the wifi, shit head.
Dont use ubuntu faggot

>Wew lmao, go fuck yourself you retard.
Yeah cause downloading some fucking drivers and installing them is so fucking difficult

apt-offline comes preinstalled

>Xubuntu
the repo you linked says this lol
>This code will build on any kernel 4.2 and newer as long as the distro has not modified any of the kernel APIs. IF YOU RUN UBUNTU, YOU CAN BE ASSURED THAT THE APIs HAVE CHANGED. NO, I WILL NOT MODIFY THE SOURCE FOR YOU. YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN!!!!!

>>This code will build on any kernel 4.2 and newer as long as the distro has not modified
I don't even have make installed by default, and I need wifi to install make, or I can go down the rabbit hole of dependency shit

>Yeah cause downloading some fucking drivers and installing them is so fucking difficult
It is when you don't have wifi in the first place
>hurrr transfer to a USB
Wow, what a bright idea you've had, thanks! Once again, fuck yourself.

>I don't even have make installed by default, and I need wifi to install make, or I can go down the rabbit hole of dependency shit
You're a fucking retard
The boot medium comes with a basic live distribution as well as the base-devel or equivilent for your distro on it
Meaning you HAVE BUILD TOOLS NIGGA

Then what system do you have in your mind that validifies your posts then?
Cause if you dont have wifi and you dont have a fucking cat6 to connect in to it, how the fuck else are you going to get your data on it nigga?
You really went full retard didnt you?

I DONT EVEN HAVE MAKE INSTALLED TO BUILD THE FUCKING THING WHICH IT REQUIRES YOU TO HAVE

YES YOU FUCKING DO
ITS ON YOUR FUCKING DISTRO IMG
BASE-DEVEL

Oh lol, whoops. I just had to disable 'Secure Boot' in the BIOS and the wifi works

My apologies.

Why don't you just download.the drivers?

how about a premade .deb package
packages.debian.org/stretch/all/firmware-realtek/download

Sorry for losing my temper, but it was very frustrating

>Oh lol, whoops.
So you were trolling the whole time?
kys

yes, janny/mod deleted my bread for image, weird that that one triggered them but not all the lewd loli ones, deepnudes today, bella dolphine or what was here name and all other lewd 3dps you see in Jow Forums OPs
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

draaamaaaa
I'll get the popcorn

you better got some material then because that's it

bummer

so I'm trying to install debian with no desktop environment and no frills to just have open media vault installed over it, trying to do this this way because omv installer and updates are kinda fucked the way they behave.
For some unknown reason debian installer consistently fucks up at the choose and install software step towards the end, only once so far did it manage the whole install but I don't know why it succeeded that time
how do I fix it? I'm pretty new to linux

I will after I get it working in a vm (I seem to be haveing trouble wrth that) and complete my i3 rice.
I'll need to make a package definition for Lutris though.

Attached: __ibuki_suika_touhou_drawn_by_kazaguruma__sample-f4f590c3fd65658a427b203df25c8d65.jpg (850x1293, 97K)

why do you keep installing if it worked once?

Is this that gnome RAM hogging that I hear so much about? Or is it supposed to be worse? I get annoyed and suspicious when my fan picks up for no discernable reason.

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-06-29 17-34-17.png (1360x232, 46K)

How does Linux install software?

For example, why does
Yum -y install application
Just install the application?

From my understanding, packages have to first be downloaded and then you enter a command to install them

Assuming that's correct, does this mean that the application is already preloaded but not installed?

So if it wasn't preloaded, I would have to create/download a repository file directing to the package I needed to download?

Currently using fedora

Attached: 4b82edd15e057d009f8cf946eda1988d.gif (326x217, 1.81M)

in most cases, it downloads required packages, then installs them, in one step

howtogeek.com/117579/htg-explains-how-software-installation-package-managers-work-on-linux/

rpm and deb files is what you download from the internet, inside them are the binaries in a directory structure mimicking your system

locked myself out of root access somehow and sudo su wasn't doing it

I have not heard it before, but I can believe those numbers.

>locked myself out of root
You can reboot into Single mode to unfuck it.

Why post this in every thread?

This is the Friendly Thread.

Do you have no honour?

well it's good to know for the future installs because I already wiped that one and tried reinstalling with proper settings and I'm still struggling with installer malfunctions

if I install a package from the aur directly with makepkg -si from the command line, will it auto updat when I run my -Syu?

not with pacman -Syu, you need an aur helper for that, such as yay

On Mint, I wanted I added my Google account and I now my Google Drive shows up under the networks section in the file manager.

Is there a way to mount that as drive so I can move or pull things from it using the CLI? It works fine if I copy and paste using GUI but it can definitely be a lot faster using CLI.

>impulsively download archlinux to switch from a Windows machine (already used Ubuntu in the past)
>spend an entire night setting it up over and over because it fucks up
>get it working
>spend an entire day and night setting my arch machine up like an autist

What did I start??

Also my ethernet interface goes down when I stop my machine and i need to make it go up everytime i boot and that's annoying, any way to fix it?

Attached: 1521315010586s.jpg (250x242, 7K)

gaming on linux is stills hit
sure many games "work" but most if not all lack vsync or aa and run 20fps lower than windows.

dont use arch

Ubuntu is dead guys, they lost Steam and now 32 bit is abandoned? Talking about shooting yourself in the foot.

It's a pain in the ass to set it up but once you got everything the way you want it, it's super comfy.

>because it fucks up
yea, haha, /it/ fucks up.
>Also my ethernet interface goes down when I stop my machine
probably because you're running "systemctl start dhcpcd" and not "systemctl enable dhcpcd"

they lost steam /because/ they've abandoned 32bit support

I'm not quite there yet and I need to toy with a few things but I'm getting there and I understand what I'm reading so yeah!

actually you're right, that fixed the problem. Thanks based user!

Attached: o-HOW-TO-BE-OPTIMISTIC-facebook.jpg (1536x1024, 276K)

just gotta find the right buttons
everything seems hard in the first 5 minutes
protip: don't blindly follow instructions, if you don't know what something does, RESEARCH IT UNTIL YOU DO, otherwise you WON'T LEARN DICK

I was about to say it makes sense but I still dont understand what the fuck they were thinking.

they should have done what arch did, drop 32bit isos/applications/most things, but keep relevant libraries and the few things which are only 32bit (like the 32bit version of wine, or pcsx2)
basically, keep the parts of 32bit people use on 64bit machines, but drop support for 32bit-only machines

You don't have the application on your machine at all. When you "install" it from your package manager it also downloads it first, then installs.
What the package manager gets is just a set of instructions so it knows where to get everything from and what to do with it.

Rate my panel

Attached: 1.png (610x132, 12K)

do you switch kernels around often enough to warrant permanently displaying it in your tray?

penguin

Attached: 2.png (148x116, 1K)

Attached: 2d6c70e46efbd01b76446c7a6020ee70.jpg (512x375, 42K)

i mean more "Linux 5.1.15", this won't change while running, and i don't see why it needs to be in an area where you want to keep common data which changes often

synthesis of functionality and aesthetics

>cos i want to
fair enough, otherwise yea, looks alright
unique colours, but nothing outright terrible

Let it go you fucking sperg

are there any advantage of using spacevim over spacemacs? the fags over /geg/ wont give me the answer

Go fuck yourself

Not that I know of but is better to use vanilla Emacs and build from there, you develop the understanding and make things smoother.

how is cinimon as a de on a laptops battery im running gnome atm. but on a cinimon live usb thing it says that i only have 2hrs left at 100% but under my gnome install it says 4hrish, is it just the live usb or what?

Hi Jow Forums. I resuscitated an old netbook and installed mint on it, now I'm looking for privacy tweaks to be made. I've already done all the about:config stuff on Firefox and used the terminal to disable ipv6, download macchanger and spoof my mac address every time I connect to a network. What additional things should I do and/or research? I'm not at all familiar with Linux, all I've done so far is stuff I'm accustomed to doing in windows as far as privacy is concerned

>old netbook
What model?

A Philco PHN10303. It somehow ran windows 10 before I wiped it and switched to mint

You seem to have covered most of your bases. It's not like Mint is sending telemetry data like win10, so there is less to worry about.

Speaking of Guix and the AUR, how do you do install git-cloned packages in GuixSD?
Is it supposed to be done through Emacs Guix somehow, or do the results of makepkg integrate with the package manager automatically?

I've been trying out syslinux on my gentoo install and I like it a lot more than grub. everything is much more straightforward and easy to configure unlike grub's massive config. should I fully switch to syslinux or stay with grub?

Youtube-dl and mpv. Tentative recommendation for mps-youtube.
Tor, torsocks, and phantomjs (the latter two work for using youtube-dl over tor.)
You might also want to look into Icecat, which has a learning curve of about a day.

amiunique.org
panopticlick.eff.org
Most of that data can be denied with Icecat's disable javascript option.

Not sure if you use macchanger manually or not, but you can set up a systemd service to do it automatically. The arch wiki explains how. (It's actually very informative about most linux-related subjects.)

JFYI: The keyserver used by Arch is currently spammed with malicous shit. Do not do a "pacman --refresh-keys" right now.

Linux doesn't install software. Linux is software installed in GNU/Linux.

fresh install, failing to compile plasma :(

Attached: IMG_20190630_202854.jpg (2269x1955, 1.46M)

If you ever wanted to completely block Google: github.com/nickspaargaren/pihole-google/blob/master/README.md

Look into line 1445?

I'll have a look, but why would I have to edit files/scripts in the build? sounds like a recipe for disaster

hey how resource heavy is cinnamon ? i like it i'm just concerned about my battery life under it

2 IQ retard

linux is in fact a package you can install and remove through

I'm trying to tune my gpu-passtrough vm a bit. Can anyone take a look if I did the cpu-pinning correctly? I followed the examples on redhat website and arch wiki, but it's not like they have any real explanations what's what. I had to take a few guesses here and there. Also, what does

do and why virsh edit gives me an error when I change host-model to host-passtrough?
CPU is Intel i7-4790k btw.

Attached: 1542432687466.png (875x1022, 182K)

why does everybody seem to hate conky nowadays?

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-06-10 02-30-26.png (1920x1080, 2.15M)

its just a bit gay. the kind of thing young teens use rainmeter for

Nothing wrong with gay.

that's what a modern teenager would say

Just use a proper DE you fucking special snowflake.

wandows killed widget coolness

Attached: gadgetsondesktopvistawindowsxp.jpg (504x422, 51K)