So what's the general consensus on Python, Jow Forums?

So what's the general consensus on Python, Jow Forums?

Attached: 915d+qI9NAL.jpg (1937x2560, 526K)

Its shit. Its shittier than js.

Worse language than Ruby but more popular.

racist language

It's complete shit like almost every programming language out there except for

Great DIY language for automation.
Great language for math.
If you do anything other than automation or math stuff with Python you're retarded.

>Math
Ahhh so this is why cslets hate it. They can't do math.

good for the tasks it's meant for
bad for literally everything else

It's a good dynamically typed language. Once you get past the basics, the language you use doesn't matter as much as the design decisions you make. Just remember, python is a very permissive language, read those PEPs like it's your religion, and stay up to date with best practises.

Also, the documentation is fucking great.

The documentation and libraries are amazing.
It's pretty comfy.

It's a piece of shit full of stupid design decisions.

I started to use python only because i hate bloated Matlab with 20GB of useless shit (for me).
It's great for machine learning also as i've heard.

But yeah these Jow Forums tards hate Python because it's slow.
But you can't do differential equations and bode plots on C right...
Current state of Jow Forums is autistic children reeeing to everything other than standard Jow Forums memes.

Care to give some examples?

I have had it with these motherfucking pythons on my motherfucking PC

Attached: 20190629_210538.jpg (344x344, 42K)

>But you can't do differential equations and bode plots on C right...
There are much faster and much saner languages for symbolic computation. If you only know C, Python, and Matlab, you'd benefit from broadening your perspective.

Go fuck youself faggot Python is stupid language C is better.

>he doesn't do machine learning

Yeah but it's sort of academic standard to use Matlab or Python.
You can't do shit alone if you're actually doing a research and most of the researchers know both or one of them.
I'm talking about EE/Control Systems shit, don't know about other shit.

The scoping rules, broken lambdas.
What are you doing?

he doesn't seem to do any sort of learning

it's pretty good

Bait better faggot.

Good for most people want programming something but no build complex software

Absolute trash for complex software, weird type system, GIL, slow, implementation is interpreter bitcode plus C files load, package manager trash.

Lambdas are intentionally limited, and mostly discouraged. There's nothing you can't do with plain named functions instead. Might be infuriating if you come from JS.

What's wrong with scopes?

>Yeah but it's sort of academic standard to use Matlab or Python.
>You can't do shit alone if you're actually doing a research and most of the researchers know both or one of them.
>I'm talking about EE/Control Systems shit, don't know about other shit.
It's different in other subjects. I was a mathematician; a colleague in my office (doing fluid dynamics) was using Fortan, one of the guys in the office next door (doing numerical analysis) was using Mathematica, and the people upstairs (statisticians) were using R. One of the people on the top floor was using some C-like language (probably C++; it was years ago) for certain computationally heavy visualisations. People pick the tool that is most suitable for the job, if they're allowed to.

I don't see why you think it's bad for complex software. Have good design, enforce guidelones, unit test, basically follow the rules any sane developer would, and you'll have a smooth ride. I've seen lot's of complex software in python, slopiness is what can fuck it up, not the language.

It's pretty comfy for scripting and creating ML models, but it's otherwise a shit language to use for large projects.

Attached: 1561814596709.png (512x512, 484K)

Global Interpreter Lock

>"Practical Programming"
>....Python

Attached: Stop.gif (640x266, 3.26M)

>shit language to use for large projects
Jow Forums shills this meme all the time. What large project did you try using it for, and why did it fail?

FOSS Visual Basic

Attached: 1384648822209.jpg (572x507, 178K)

>math
Is Python+numpy really better than R or GNU Octave?

It's useful if you're not a NEET.

Math is a broad field. For stats, no because R is a specialized tool. Same for the types of simulations you would do with octave.
Python is used because has good libraries for most things and is general purpose unlike most scientific languages. It’s also easy for amateurs to use, unlike Fortran or C++.

It's for simple scripts and automation.
Every once and a while someone forgets that and does something terrible.

what tasks is it made for?

Being glue

and what do you mean by glue?

Its good for gluing libraries together. Which is a lot of what modern software development is.

I don't understand why it's so popular, it's fucking shit.

By itself? Cool but not really that useful
As glue + third party libraries? Fucking amazing.
Unless you're going to reinvent the wheel in a really clever and unique way or do a pretty low level task, Python + libraries is great.

Kill it with fire

if it's not FORTRAN is shit.

But user, Scipy is FORTRAN without the FORTRAN bullshit + C/C++ features/advantages

comfy language

I have tonnes
f-strings can't even nest, literally something js templates can do quite easily.
a bunch of different ways to format/interpolate strings
standard library is full of garbage, most recent specific example I can think of is the sqlite3 lib and execute expecting the parameter argument to always be an iterable, for single param queries, datetime lib doesn't create proper iso8601 strings... etc
iterables and iterators
__some_meta__ everywhere for basically every insane syntax or builtin function you can think of.
what can and can't go in a lambda, or well syntatically how lambdas work at all.
strong hatred of side effect things like x++ but then shoe horns in a pep like :=
@decorator all the new features for some reason, including dataclasses because why not?
dead simple and also dead slow bytecode design.
the whole repr and string bullshit
2/3 schism that randomly nauseates someone.
the module system depends on configuring an ambient environ to find third party dependency code or just shitting everything out in a shared system-wide directory
2-3 competing packaging and dependency management tools. also different ways of managing all those venvs you'll have.

after seeing f-strings being weak pussy garbage. I decided to play around with them again and then see this cuck shit as well
>>> f'{"lol fstrings\n"}'
File "", line 1
SyntaxError: f-string expression part cannot include a backslash

what childish piece of shit lexer/parser is python fucking using? Is this a fucking joke? add shitty language grammars to my list.

You know the old idea that, if you give a million monkeys a million typewriters, they'll write the complete works of William Shakespeare - eventually? Python is kinda like that: Slow, but very powerful and featuring a large community contributing to an ever-growing catalog of third-party libraries.

Opinion, not an argument.

People here always say python is slow but when it comes to webscarping it's incredibly fast and that's the only thing i use it for

don't use homebrew to install it. it gives you an old version of tkinter. it's been this way for at least a year, idk why. to get a better version of tkinter (and some other core libs that actually improve performance noticeably) you just have to install it from the python website

It's ok tier for your pic related but garbage for everything else.
these

No, Python a bad dynamically typed language and here is why:
Dynamic type checking is a compromise that is acceptable in some rare, limited scenarios.
Mutable types is not ok. Runtime variable initialization check is not ok, and in particular not ok as a sacrifice to implement a REPL, a tool almost exclusively required by brainlets.

At the point where you don't use static typechecking for large projects it's all ogre. Python fails long before this point.

This, except in VB you can do
Option Strict On
Option Explicit On
Option Infer On
and you're good to go.

>it's shit on purpose
fuck off guido

It's a great language for non-autists

Is this book good?

I don't know why people don't understand that python is the gwbasic of the current year, and both are bad for programming in the long run, yes easy to use and learn but with no structure or enforcing of good practice.

The moment I saw that scope by indententation I couldn't take it seriously.

It's the language to write the most secure webs.
It's also great for data science

Wtf? repls are great at discovering and testing with libraries and language design and features. If your language doesn't have a repl, the only brainlet is the language designers.

lua is better

>js.
lua is bettr

>Visual Basic
ok now this ones p. good but lua is beter

>FORTRAN
lua better

>R or GNU Octave
idk wtf

>guido
its called guile and its not good try lua

Sharing a memory space with multiple workers is basically a problem in every single scripting language I know of. The GIL is literally a nonissue and threading in python is more of a hack for concurrent IO handling, but better served using a green thread monkey patch like gevents or the first class async/await system.

If you really need multiple workers in python, just use multiple interpreter instances and message passing via io.

GIL is literally a nonissue.

Being glue and automation

Attached: fe00e13954511ced4c87080c930972b1.png (270x321, 86K)

so much this

highly accessible, which makes you wonder whether it contributes to a good coding community (probably not)

python has ruined a generation of minds

Attached: 1413563012873.jpg (300x450, 42K)

It's literally free on automatetheboringstuff.com
Might as well learn sth

i love golang but can't find a suitable job because they always ask for python alongside it in the requirements

i know some basic python enough about Tkinter and some tensorflow tutorial shit,

what should i even do with python?

Why would you use python to automate when RPA is far superior.

Comfy

The package/module system in Python is a shitshow, this reason alone is why Python should only be used as a beginners language and not used for anything professional level

>uses shitty OS package-manger, dependencies not there
>accidentally forget to use --user when pip installing, break system
>still have to manually tweak environment to use virtualenv correctly or use tools like pipenv.
>setup.py bullshit for packaging and distribution.
>dependencies are recorded in something that is as stupid as setup.py and something as completely useless as requirements.txt

high order functions make any kind of FP-like programming impossible, the built-in underscore functions are a inconsistent mess

its just a shit language that only casual non-programmers like

Is Python 3 a different language?

I used to know Python 2 fairly well, should I learn 3 like it's a new language?

Attached: 1539781648381.png (986x1495, 1.14M)

let's not forget
>formatting as syntax is just fucking retarded
>capitalized booleans
>cumbersome error messages
>every library uses different code conventions
>not strongly typed extremely picky about data types
>multiple inheritance
>anything more than just a small script becomes unreadable and impossible to maintain

python is just a toy language for students and sysadmins

Its mostly the same. The big changes were xrange became range (old range is gone), print became a function instead of a statement, text and byte strings are explicitly different, and ints will implicitly convert from int32 to a bigint instead of overflow.

Cool story boomer

Attached: 1A9DF4A1-4703-45E1-AB52-6E50B5F0603E.jpg (1446x2048, 276K)

What about classes, concurrency, etc?

yes yes

There are lots of little changes, but I don’t remember which versions they came in and some of them were back ported.

I write Python scripts all the time, its a very productive language in that field and I'd argue the least crazy compared to Perl, JS or Ruby. The big standard library means that I almost never have to use external libs which is nice. I love how Python 3 handles ints (no overflows) as that is exactly what I want from a scripting language. Generator let me write almost functional code which is often nice.

the only working torrent client is pure python, if that tell you anything

I love watching Python (((programmers))) give their literal cuck level rationalizations for using their cuck language

>I write Python scripts all the time, its a very productive language in that field
a language only good at making single page scripts: very good in (((that field)))
>and I'd argue the least crazy compared to Perl, JS or Ruby.
having package and module systems that actually work is INSANE, like why would anyone do this??? good thing I can only write tiny scripts
>The big standard library means that I almost never have to use external libs which is nice.
a language that standardizes a bunch of user created libraries makes it so easy for me to forget Im too dumb to use modules
>I love how Python 3 handles ints (no overflows) as that is exactly what I want from a scripting language.
a feature that most any scripting language has makes my tiny brain feel good
>Generator let me write almost functional code which is often nice.
being this much of a cuck is like explaining to Dr Phil I much I love watching my (((wife))) suck other mens cocks and learn how to cope with it

Dude, you need to take a break from Jow Forums

It's okay for basic bitch scripting, demos, and glue, but horrible for literally everything else.

you need to take a break from being an incel and have sex

Has some bad habits here and there like not needing semicolons, but honestly I'd much prefer writing in Python than say J*va. Yes, I like >>>print("") much better than System.Out.Println

Hated by Jow Forums.
Loved by the actual industry.

I'll leave you to make your own interpretation.

Attached: smug344.jpg (198x255, 9K)

Good first language and then you can use it to learn other stuff before maybe switching to something better, ie you can learn web with python using flask or django before looking at job postings and switching to Node/ROR/GO

Syntax is great, but I detest the scope by indentation. What's so bad about curly brackets? Muh readability? If that's the case just run it through a beautifier.

pretty edgy my dude

Can't use smart tabs in source code, therefore shit.

>What is GNU Octave?

>Great for math
>Doesn't have a short way to increment a variable by 1 (no ++ operator)

i+=1??

It's perfectly fine and adequate for some tasks. The sheer amount of libraries and high-level data types makes it a very good choice to get tasks done quickly.
Performance is often irrelevant when I'm already done before you can even get started with your meme C implementation.
You can keep seething with rage as much as you want, know that you're deliberately crippling yourself by choosing to avoid it at all costs.

>So what's the general consensus on Python, Jow Forums?

Attached: SAK_1_6795_XLT__S2.jpg (560x490, 37K)

Worse than Perl for most basic tasks yet people prefer it because clean syntax so you know the logic escapes me.

Although it's a good language for pseudo-code and using it for teaching people getting into programming is a good idea, so I guess there's that.

Pearl is a deprecated boomer lang only needed for maintaining fossilware. It’s essentially Cobol tier.

This. From the little bit I have read on it its great for sending info and connecting stuff, but terrible at computing.

Julia beats it in literally every way.

delet!