Why is everyone so obsessed with obsolete tech?

Why is everyone so obsessed with obsolete tech?

Attached: Screenshot-2019-6-29 Home - Retro Games.png (1268x551, 454K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/gp/product/B06ZZ3MPR3
amazon.com/AAXA-Projector-Battery-Resolution-Business/dp/B07N1X545K
amazon.com/AAXA-Theater-Projector-Mercury-Resolution/dp/B07PQMQ7ZV
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

it's fun
it's a toy
god i wish i had a smol trap gf right now

It's nostalgia thing i guess, and it looked cool! Personally, i just like the simplicity of the hardware and amazed by how they write software with those hardware limitations.

I have that one. Mine got a black screen issue a few months ago. I dont think the video related ICs are broken since the tv detects that there are a valid signal, but only blackscreen. Any ideas guys?

Obsolete tech is really the only way you can get hands on experience with low level tech. I guess you can use emulators but where's the fun in that?
When I was in school I recreated UNIVAC 2 on a cyclone 2 for the CE department because they had the console and programs and wanted a demo of it (the school used to have one) and it was fucking sick, if completely useless.

You can finally run temple os on bare metal hardware.

Attached: yung_terry.jpg (600x900, 187K)

It became increasingly hard to convince others that your particular type of soda, candy bar, fabric softener, tampons and etc bring unbridled joy to our meaningless lives after everyone found themselves fat and poor. Remember the time you weren't fat and poor and things had meaning? This old shit or replicated old shit can bring those feelings back! It's marketing from the little guy selling blank floppy's at a flea market for 5 a pop to some company that got the license to a the name of an old machine and basically just upselling a raspberry pi in a retro shaped shell.

I hope you didn't use the orig psu. They fail high and kill c64.
Warning aside, there's plenty of troubleshoot guides out there. Do use one.

Attached: 1561236349185.png (1920x1080, 1.97M)

It harkens back to a simpler time; when your "Graphics Card" going out meant popping it open and replacing a single chip.
Code was written in low level languages that were more fun to learn because shit like BASIC and MS-DOS could be learned by a child.
Imagine a machine with virtually infinite possibilities because you can control every individual aspect of it.
Things like the NES and SNES still impress me; because of dumb shit like "If the console can't run it, install additional hardware on the cartridge to add to it!" blows my millenial ass away.
I grew up in a "poor" family. While everyone else had Nintendos and playstations, we had our moms Atari 800, a book of "BASIC games for kids" and mother fucking joust; which is the sickest game ever you can't convince me otherwise.
It was functional fun, and in this day in age I sit on a machine at least 400 times stronger than the six calculators that took dudes to the moon, and I post stupid shit on Jow Forums with it.

I think I need a bangs root beer, I'll be back.

No CIA niggers, no frameworks, just you, BASIC, and assy.

apply this logic to antique car collectors.
Why are they so obsessed with outdated vehicles user?

Attached: adasddsda.jpg (1920x1080, 287K)

Is Radio Shack making a comeback?

>Why are they so obsessed with outdated vehicles user?
Because they're retarded boomers with more money than sense.

Nostalgia.
Curiosity.
Entertainment.

It's easy to mod, hack and modify, easy to program for too, educational and fun.

Attached: IMG_0001amstrad (5).jpg (1000x750, 1.24M)

To normalfags it's a fun novelty.
To hobbyists it's a fun novelty and potential learning experience.
There's not much more to it than that.

I like old ham radios but I'm not a boomer and it's not even very expensive yet. But it will be soon because most tubes have been oop for decades. I have tubes which haven't been made in a century which I have just been hoarding, good ones, and I intend to make more with them than I could with any stock or bond or etf or forex.

That's a keyboard.

Fucking creepy. I was just thinking about trying to get my hands on a c64x to build a rpi4 retro emulator machine in.

>stupid replica with an emulator inside.
Retrocomputing for plebs.
Nothing to see here, move along.

>god i wish i had a smol trap gf right now

Attached: 1446877695275.png (489x423, 10K)

Attached: 1561580898890.jpg (1125x1328, 978K)

"retro Computers" are to millenials and gen Xers what "Antique cars" are to boomers.
I'm currently posting from a windows XP VM, I like windows XP because it looks better than windows 10's ugly UI and because there is a nostalgia factor in using it. Also, there are a number of games I grew up with that I love that won't run on windows 10 and I like revisiting them pic related.
also, did I mention windows 10 has an extremely ugly UI?

forgot the pic

Attached: adawdwd.jpg (1920x1080, 237K)

>antique cars
Not that many boomers collect cars from the 1910s

This, DIY and old games/programs plus porting/making new ones

You expect a random Jow Forums retard who'se posts smell off butthurt and idiocracy to know correct terminology?

a car only has to be 25 years old to get a historical license plate.

Attached: sadasdasdsda.jpg (1920x1080, 167K)

What game is this?

it's gonna be vulnerable to zombieload, just watch

Exactly, having something that slow makes you *have* to use an Assembly language. Anything interpreted or high level like BASIC would be agonizingly slow.

As a zoomer born in 1999 I've gotten pretty good with C++ but I don't even know where to start with any Assembly language, it's easy to understand some individual concepts but in the end holy shit, it feels like so much work to make even the most basic CLI application.

A lot of people around me tend to not give a shit about optimization. And I can see why, they've been spoiled. I have hope though that eventually they're put in some sort of situation that forces them to notice or rethink their habits.

Mine was when I was 12 and wondered why my Roblox game with 15 scripts running while wait(0.00001) do scripts was really slow.

Attached: i'm fat lets party snorlax.jpg (1017x786, 29K)

based

Looks like Nanako Descends to Hell

with the way "computer professionals" seem to shell out on useless silicon, probably never unfortunately

Because it was my first computer.

Because it has quirkiness and charm. The alternative is featureless black glass rectangle botnet

Most hobbyists that have real hardware use emulators like retropie as well. A poished emulator with a nice presentation is good to have for the sake of convienience and reliablity, especially if it has the proper keyboard.

I have several real commodore machines, but I'll be buying this as well when it comes out.

OLD GOOD
NEW BAD
boomers belong in mass graves

Not me. I love my bluetooth and USB-C goodies.

It's fun, it's simple, and you can learn a lot more by using it.
>picrel is you

Attached: no fun allowed.jpg (488x516, 91K)

>god i wish i had a smol trap gf right now
know that feel bro

C-64 mini was FPGA based.

THE C64 is emulator based.

WTF it's same manufacturer.

But that's the greatness of it. I wonder why there aren't any modern computers built inside keyboard cases, straight outta Neuromancer

Attached: ono_sendai.jpg (5312x2988, 2.01M)

Cyberdecks require VR or AR glasses. If you are already using a screen then a laptop is more convenient for anything but larping.

The mini was just an old version of vice running on a shitty arm sbc. I wonder if they fixed the 300ms latency yet.

The reason why this is popular is because there is no competition. It is for losers who have completely failed. So they become "experts" or "historians" on something old. There's nobody left that is actually qualified that will bother to tell them that all this old tech was bullshit. So they eat up someone else's nostalgia and tell themselves that it was the best era, and they are the best as well. They are completely alone, and they need it this way.

See

so, retroshit, what could you possibly "learn". over buying a $50 computer off craigslist and learning any modern language for example and go and get a job. and what "fun" could you have on this, when on the other computer you could emulate the whole system on top of it doing more. Can you just admit you are jerking off on the case and fell for the marketing.

Tell me the case or where to get the keyboard style?
Busy building a mobile rig as is
Have a projector that goes on my shoulder, gonna upgrade it to
amazon.com/gp/product/B06ZZ3MPR3

or

amazon.com/AAXA-Projector-Battery-Resolution-Business/dp/B07N1X545K

or

amazon.com/AAXA-Theater-Projector-Mercury-Resolution/dp/B07PQMQ7ZV

Basically, get a really good 1080p native projector 5x the lux of my current
or
a very light one twice as bright that should be able to be seen under flourescent easily
or
full hog 4k, dim the sun

Attached: 20190622_155627.jpg (3725x2794, 1.43M)

>new software is cancer
>new hardware is cancer
>new companies are cancer
>new online interactivity is cancer
Everything is radioactive, we either need to go back before it crushed our DNA or forward to well past it's first few half lives.

Attached: _86207602_89a24000-a5dd-4956-83ce-218ed76c7d1c.jpg (624x351, 31K)

>Amstrad
That feel when abusive father forked out for the new model upgrade to 128k ram, disk drive and colour screen.

Attached: amstardcpc6128.png (650x627, 510K)

>talented individuals of all backgrounds, contribute to something bigger than themselves
>,

Attached: 1547681324733.png (245x316, 84K)

and... well before thinkpads were cool.

Attached: Amstrad_CPC464.jpg (640x485, 53K)

can confirm nsa is very diverse
can also confirm that 99% of the employees are useless and coast off the accomplishments of 1%

Attached: jairou.png (817x467, 383K)

Why not get a MiSTer instead?
At least, once the configuration is loaded into the FPGA, you're dealing with hardware, not some shitty high-latency emulator.

Attached: 1549077210915.png (1920x1080, 1.35M)

You could learn how framebuffers and CPU registers work without having to load 50 libraries and navigate 40 years of technical debt.

>joust
Utterly based. Joust was my fav game.

Attached: 1546597737846.png (500x667, 194K)

What a bugman.

>>>/discord/

You expect Jow Forums zoomers to know about shit like MiST?

>but muh land of the free plates xD
Are you actually this retarded or just shitposting?

We GenX Jow Forums need to do our jobs, too!
Also careful MiST != MiSTer.

Attached: 1539668647016.png (1920x1080, 1.84M)

MiSTer is just a MiST "port"/upgrade. If you know one, you basically know the other and vice versa.