How long until risc v is viable?

How long until risc v is viable?

Attached: 3ea0c69619fcf3f16db9f8c85514a89a4f2d9d00_boards_hifive1.jpg (1396x543, 177K)

Depends on the use you have in mind.

Consumer boards with wangblows or canoe/lincucks that bob can edit spreadsheets with and billy can play League of legends on.

Years and expect Pi 1 level usage and performance for the first few years.
RISC-V is pretty retarded when there are several RISC and open source projects far ahead of it.

It's another example of freetard segmentation, everyone wants to do their own thing so in the end there's a 100 things that are broken and useless.

>Consumer boards with wangblows
Fucking never, thankfully.
> play League of legends on
See above.

RISC-V will probably never venture beyond hobbyist SBCs, if even that. While the idea of an open-specification architecture is quite neat, in practical terms it has nothing to offer people who actually use their computers as tools rather than talking points.

>spreadsheets
You can do that today; My Amiga 500+ with [email protected] and 2mb chipram and turbocalc does this magnificiently.
There's these "sipeed" chips that cost single digit dollar from china that come with RV64GC and 8MB SRAM embedded. This is hardware aplenty. The software side isn't so good; no Linux, just freertos and a few other such systems. And no boards with video outputs and such.
SBC-friendly Linux-capable ASICs are expected soon.
>and billy can play League of legends on
For 3d, videos and other such stuff you'll have to wait for the bit manipulation and vector extensions to be there.
Bit manip is doing well, but the vector extension will be presented for approval one year from now. Even assuming it gets accepted as-is immediately, add no less than 6 months for ASICs using it to pop up.
My best guestimate is 2 years from now, thus mid 2021, for SoCs good enough to be used in smartphones, tablets and of course rpi4-like SBCs.

Attached: 1543219325063.png (1920x1080, 2.63M)

>My Amiga 500+ with [email protected] and 2mb chipram and turbocalc does this magnificiently.
Yeah, but the operating system and applications are actually built for that hardware. Low-end RISC-V chips are always going to get shit on unless you go for obscure lightweight toy software.

Used it as part of one of my uni courses. Doubt it'll be 'viable' in terms of consumer usage for a long time, if it doesn't just peter out and die first.

Why RISC-V when we have ARM?

assuming sifive is actually shipping, it already is viable if you're willing to dump time into it. hell some people even made risc-v software simulators already.

for arduino-level tasks? Already viable.

ARM has hardware level-vulnerabilities that are only fixable by ARM. RISC-V allows for free bootloaders and stuff which means patching for security is infinitely easier.

>RISC-V will probably never venture beyond hobbyist SBCs, if even that.

the chinks are all in on it, as China moves away from western tech they will use RISC-V as leverage to collaborate with countries like Russia and cut the US and EU out of the tech ecosystem because they own all the "rare earth metals" and means of production.

Do you have any proof of this or are you just another retard that thinks RISC-V is the first open processor architecture ever to exist and thus is going to Change Everything(TM) despite being quite practically mediocre?

RISC-V is actually the first to become relevant.

ARM isn't open.

>literally every major RISC ISA has a open intuitive with buttloads of use cases
>Aktually RISK Wee xD
Literally retarded.

Keep that shit in your poorfag Pi lmao

Pi’s all you need.

while i suspect it'll be longer before support actually comes together for modern-ish vidya support, i appreciate the technically detailed answer very much!

can you explain more? does RISC-V have a better ability to self-patch/update itself, or does it just hack hw-level vulns?