>Molex to SATA

Attached: 4h9rmurm5nxx.jpg (4032x3024, 1M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fAyy_WOSdVc
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I don't understand why this happens. 6-12W is literally nothing

Shitty injection molded connectors. Heat from injection molding fuse wire sheathing together until one day direct short. This doesn't happen with snap in molex connectors.

Because those cheap shitty molded adapters are near impossible to QC properly.

youtube.com/watch?v=fAyy_WOSdVc

Why is molded worse?

Watch the video, and you'll never want to use one of those shits again.

Clearly something caused a short in the cable, or rather in the shitty connector, it's not about the power draw of the drive.

imagine being so poor that he has a powersupply with only spare molex

Molex is safer. Just see that the shit only happens on the sata connector side, never the molex.

>help friend build a new computer once
>years later he needs a new one
>decides to buy a prebuilt
>decides while he's not comfortable building one he can confidently upgrade the HDD himself
>shows up to my house with a computer that can't boot because the thing wont start and smells like it's burning
>he installed the hard drive backwards in the case and the connectors were sticking up out of the case
>he just forced the cover on when he felt resistance and broke them causing a short circuit as soon as he pressed power

Attached: 1550500370147.jpg (1920x1080, 589K)

Remember the rhime: molex to sata, lose all your data

>molex to sata, lose all your data
>DVD drive
You ain't fooling anyone famalam

molex is the problem. molex actually needs to die. We can figure out a better way of delivering power in a smaller package, surely?

>sata
>Oh yes, let's make the connectors SMALLER!!!

Fuck that shit. I have IDE cables from 30 years ago that still work perfectly after 100+ unplug/plug cycles, but if I unplug/plug a SATA cable more than 5-7 times I have to buy a new one because the fucker has degraded that much already.

Attached: 1558082624585.jpg (747x724, 28K)

Ironically it's the tiny ass led connectors that keep it alive.

This molded shit is just bad, you can find SATA connectors and Molex to SATA adapters which have connectors designed differently and should be perfectly safe. Pic related has a plastic shell with separators for each "pin", so it should be perfectly fine.

Attached: 4-pin-male-molex-to-2x-power-cable-female-sata-splitter-adapter-original-imaerpqgr8hyyhha.jpg (832x388, 26K)

>BRAND vs CONNECTION TYPE

What?

Attached: 1560691430638.jpg (640x775, 106K)

that retard has no idea what he's talking about. Fuck you for recommending that stupid video

Attached: burntsataplug.jpg (640x480, 111K)

agreed, I lost count of how many times I had to get new sata cables. Nowadays I just avoid disconnecting unless being absolute necessary

molex to non-crimped sata*
lose your data

This doesn't happen to crimped because it's not heat pressure fit into plastic.

I don't have a link but there's a video of the process where they line all of the pins up, add molten liquid silicone into a mold, and pressure plate comes down and condenses it.

The molten plastic sometimes melts the rubber on the wires and when the plate press comes down it tends to move the wires around which results in some coming in close contact.

Over time this creates a arc as electrons flow and it will eventually bridge and start a fire.

>I have to buy a new one because the fucker has degraded that much already.
At least you just had to buy a new cable...

Attached: Lwg98Cur.jpg (1456x1092, 169K)

remember, when the molex connector wont go in, it's not like usb, you don't need to flip it around, you just need to shove harder.

>I lost count of how many times I had to get new sata cables.
At least it was just the cables...

Attached: gUFhJF2r.jpg (1456x1092, 115K)

There's two metal prongs way out away from the plastic...

That short circuited outside of the shell dumbfuck.
Metal doesn't just spring out like that and it's not HDD pins.

in my country to finish high school we have to volunteer for 90 hours in two years.
i volunteered in a communal pc repair shop, i have seen this shit so many times.
>volunteer in a communal pc repair shop
>guy brings a computer that doesn't boot
>says his children played with it
>open it
>smells burnt
>molten plastic inside case
>his children connected molex adapters and splitters to themselves and shorted it

i fixed like 4 drives w/ that failure, one of em ran em for 8 years
just take the snapped off piece, shove it in a connector, carefully slide connector on the pins, secure it all w/ hotglue

pic related

Attached: photo_2019-06-30_19-05-36.jpg (1280x720, 87K)

6-12W

Its a 12V rail running on a few amps.

Need a better rhyming adage

plastic molded around wire, enjoy your fire

something like that