First Time Gaming Laptop Purchasing Advice

Hello Jow Forums!

Over the last week or so I’ve been seriously considering purchasing my first gaming laptop. For the past 3 years i’ve been using an HP Notebook that has served me well when it came to doing homework and some gaming (simple, less intensive games like vanilla Minecraft or Minecraft with few mods), but now she’s on her last legs and I don’t have the knowledge or money to repair it. And since i’m starting college in a couple months, i’m gonna need something for leisure and school.

So here are my requirements:

- I have $650 in the bank right now that I can spend. I can go a little higher than that but probably no more than $700

- If i’m going to be using this for classes as well, It’s gonna need a long battery life (one course description states it needs to hold a sustainable charge)

- I like something cheap but powerful. I want something that can run GTA 5 and be able to hold it’s ground in Multiplayer games such as War of Rights

- High storage space is a must. I hear 1TB hard drive is the norm

I’ve been shopping around various websites and the Acer Nitro 5 has caught my eye. I’ll admit that I’m illiterate when it comes to hardware lingo ( terms like Processor, GPU, CPU, Graphics Cards) so I don’t know if it’s any good or not i’m trusting the reviews of critics

I have a couple months to decide so I can really explore my options before Orientation starts late August.

Thanks! And leave your suggestions below!

Attached: 836420BE-063A-4CB2-B81E-4F4E88C01CE5.jpg (1500x1018, 268K)

>long battery life
>game that requires dedicated GPU
truly shows the age of /v/ frens

It will overheat in 20 minutes.

Laptops and gaming are a lie. Get a desktop or console for games.

You should be studying at college and not playing video games. You don't need it.

this

also undervolt it for lower temps so it makes it to 30 minutes

kys, retarded /v/irgin kid.

Are you taking your laptop to class because it is required for the course, or are you just hoping to take typed notes? Studies show that writing your notes by hand and then typing them later is a better way to learn.

at that price you'll be equally happy with anything. you could go to newegg's gaming notebooks section and sort by best reviewed, make sure it has a separate gpu (look for nvidia/ amd, otherwise it will say integrated graphics which isn't too powerful for gaming) and isn't too old.

desu bringing a laptop to class almost never helped me, it was more of a chore than anything. I was in school for 7 years, and handwritten notes were consistently the way to go.

but a decent computer is required for entertainment in your off time.

be careful of sales like the upcoming amazon prime day. they will sell you out of date models and say you're getting an insane deal.

good luck at school

My brother won a Nitro 5 from a raffle last year. It was the older 2017 model and I'm pretty sure they got it in because it was being replaced. Overall it's decent for what it is: a budget gaming laptop. The screen is decent and has a good resolution, the processor and video card are more than powerful enough for large Excel spreadsheets and CAD, and it'll keep up in games. But that being said, while the exterior of the laptop doesn't heat up much, the inside gets HOT (around 90-95c, dangerously close to the shutdown temp), the keyboard is not great, and it's kind of bulky and inconvenient to carry around.

In my experience, gaming laptops are not worth it. I had a Lenovo Y510p when I was in college, after buying into the Jow Forums hype. It was a total piece of shit, and ended up dying in my fourth year of university. I imagine my brother's Nitro 5 is going to meet the same fate. Even before it died, I went back to using my old Thinkpad T60 for a lot of things, because it was easier to carry and the keyboard was leagues better.

Also this, particularly in your first year. I know a lot of people here are saying "oh muh leisure and downtime", but frankly, you're in post-secondary education to learn. You should be spending most of your downtime learning new things or working on side projects. It's alright to game for an hour a night or a few hours on weekends, but you shouldn't be getting distracted by it.

>reading my notes after writing them once
no thank you

>Long battery life
>Cheap but powerful
>Dedicated GPU
Just get a desktop.

>"""gaming""" laptops
>$650

this reads like a troll post and I hope it is

For that price range you should be looking at a GTX 1650 laptop.

Do not consider 1050 ti or RX 560X laptops, right now the 1650 is the sweet spot for that price range and a fair bit more powerful. Enough to run anything at 60 FPS medium or better, most games on high at 60 FPS.

How do you think you're going to study for exams? You'll have to read those notes again. May as well get them ingrained in your memory long before so that you actually remember them and not so you're just teaching yourself to pass tests.

Don't be a smartass about this.

Lelnovo y540 with gtx 1660.

stop playing video games, take school seriously and use your free time to better yourself.

Get a Dell Inspiron 15, they're relatively cheap.

>gaming laptop
You either don’t need a gaming laptop, or you need to change your life habits.

Dude seriously. Laptops overheat very quickly when playing games. Get something with more room for airflow inside, like a PC. Even a mini-itx chassis can be cooled better than a laptop.

Don't Dell laptops explode?

If you do *have* to get a laptop for gaming make it a large laptop 15" minimum so there's more room for air inside.

When Acer's die they just die without warning, happened to a couple of mine, totally won't switch on, burned out. I didn't learn the first time and learned the hard way twice. When Acer's last I suppose they are ok, roll of the dice. Mine are totally bricked beyond repair. Expensive waste. Go Asus, Lenovo or Alienware (Dell's gaming brand).

It might break your budget but try to save for a Lenovo Legion gaming laptop.