How do I get over my nostalgia for old technology and embrace the modern?

How do I get over my nostalgia for old technology and embrace the modern?

Attached: dims.jpg (960x686, 82K)

Actually try using old tech day-in and day-out.
The nostalgia will disappear very, very quickly.

Beats me. I still have a 486, P3, and a eirly PowerPC next to me hooked up to a CRT on a all on a KVM switch.
Its enjoyable to play games, etc, on old shit.
Sometimes I even work on them since it forces me to (mostly) single task.

>need to reboot windows after doing anything deeper than changing desktop background
>unstable drivers makes windows crash randomly

Where you even alive in 95, bruh?

that style of interface is still the most productive and intuitive and you can still find it in most DEs that arent shit

I do at work because of legacy software, it honestly just brought it back for me. and exacerbates it. using it day in and out makes me realize how aesthetic UIs were back then compared to the ugly UIs we get these days.

windows 98 SE was actually a realy good OS faggot.

Wangblows 10 still has these problems in 2019 though

This.

if you're on Linux there's always Chicago95

grow up, move on

>old good
>new thing bad

Stop being an NPC

basically this
old shit is fun, until you try to do anything useful on it
i have a cyrix mii based system (think amd k6-2 or pentium mmx) with 384mb of ram that can still run windows xp somewhat, though i mainly run 98SE on it. Its cool, but it takes like 5 minutes to start up and log in, opening file directories isnt instantaneous like it is on hardware even from a couple years later, without modern compatibility layers for games its a pain in the ass to install games on 98SE, trying to get MDK to function was such a pain in the dick, its the reason i later installed XP on the system, just to use the GOG version instead.
Its neat sometimes to power it up, start up winamp and play some music, but web browsing is limited to k-meleon with no javascript, mspaint seriously takes a solid 30 seconds to fully open, and even simple things like trying to change the drivers for my s3 trio 64 from the built in default ones turned into a 4 hour ordeal of trying to find the drivers to begin with, get them on to that machine, and manually install them because neither 98SE or XP wanted anything to do with them

not to mention hardware, there is no PWM or any kind of voltage control on my cpu cooler with its ball bearing fan that sounds like a tiny power drill, the gpu is so old i had to replace capacitors on it because i guess after 24 years they had basically turned into little dried up nubs, i have 2 usb ports and sometimes only one device will work at a time if there are two things plugged in, the only video output options for the integrated stuff, s3 trio 64 or even an MX 420 pci i tried do not involve 16:10 so im always in either a little square or slightly stretched
its the pc experience equivalent of dropping your pants, squatting down, and gently placing your ballsack on sun baked asphalt, at first its just a tingling warm sensation but it slowly turns into agony

at the time it wouldve been normal, but after 20+ years its annoying

Attached: +_175af4f834350899bdc73309465274e3.jpg (1000x750, 182K)

i picked the wrong screenshot and im retarded
that pic was still a 500mhz k6-2 i never got to clock correctly with the pny mx 420 pci
it currently runs a 233mhz Cyrix blacktop mii and the 2mb s3 trio 64 on a pcchips m599lmr with 384mb of pc100 ram
usually involves a turtle beach santa cruz because i like that sound card

Attached: D-GjL00XUAA-lHP.jpg (1200x900, 171K)

>time tested things are not good
you're the npc

Dude, your post is a comedy of errors. You're doing your classic PC entirely wrong.
>XP on less then 512MB
If you're under that threshold, you're better off with 98se+Kernel Ex.
>Cyrix with XP
You're asking for trouble with that. If you want to do XP you REALLY need a 700+ Mhz P3 or a P4. Its an awful experience on anything slower, and Cyrix's IPCs towards the late 90s was pure garbage, hence why you only saw them in the most bargin of bin PCs at the time. There are reasons why people didn't really hop ship to XP till around 2003 or so as well.
>but web browsing is limited to k-meleon with no javascript,
XP can use Firefox fucking 52. Windows 98se with Kernel EX can use Opera 12.52. FF52 can still do 99% of all webbrowsing, and Opera handles most HTML5 sites correctly and does TSL 1.2
>there is no PWM
False. You're using a trash board. My P3 has PWM.
> s3 trio 64 or even an MX 420 pci
You do know that you can buy NEW Geforce FX 5600s (both in PCI and AGP), 6600 GTs, and Radion 9600s off of Aliexpress right?
>16:10
Off resolutions always needed registry injection on 98 and XP unless you're using nvtools. This is not new and there are plenty of guides out there.

Get an old style UI for your modern computer

Having an outdated UI won't bring those good times back, nothing will.

Install Slackware.

lemme clarify then
>xp on less than 512mb
runs fine, my biggest limitation with the xp experience is that luna is a bit slower, not drastically, but it takes a small noticeable bit of extra time to do some stuff with the luna and xp specific menu and window styles
i cant remember what its called, that shit where the settings menu isnt just a list of stuff, opening that takes like a solid minute compared to the regular directory style which loads fine
this machine also does run 98SE, i installed xp for the sake of the turtle beach santa cruz software and some specific games that are a bit of a challenge to get working on 98SE
>cyrix in general i guess
i specifically bought the blacktop cyrix to use something "different", everyone has a socket 7 system with an mmx or k6-2, nobody uses cyrix, and yeah, its because late cyrix blew dicks, and it makes XP slow as all hell
98SE runs fine with it, xp doesnt really have any problems with it besides just being slow since its a 233mhz processor
>web browsing
the issue i found with a lot of web browsers is that many of them need SSE2, there is no socket 7 processor with that instruction set and the browsers that do not need it give me effectively the same end result
the only one i got to work correctly are a select few versions of Firefox 2
trust me when i say ive tried, ive done a lot of shit trying to get a dozen different browers to work, in the end ive got no javascript so kmeleon is at least the lightest of them all
>pwm
nigga this is socket 7, this is not a pentium III, the processor runs at a single speed all the time and always makes the same heat, no socket 7 system has pwm fan control that i know of, it wasnt a common technology for computers at the time
>gpus
none of those are remotely appropriate for a socket 7 pc, i only have pci so im limited to pci video cards
if i had a pci voodoo id use that but i dont

All you can functionally do is copy aesthetics and maybe mimic some legacy software

so while im thinking of hardware for this thing, what would anons here recommend for a late 90's pci gpu?
Ive got a diamond multimedia s3 trio 64, 2mb variant at the moment. Its from 1995/1996 and is not really suited for this kind of thing.
Im thinking a Matrox Mystique 220

The two can coexist for different purposes, embracing modern technology doesn't necessarily mean throwing out the old.

actually i think Luna was the peak of aesthetic of UIs, Aero theme is a close 2nd. windows 95/98/2000 is third.
10 and 8 are just trash itoddler tier UIs.
sadly Linux is following suit, the most recent version of ubuntu for instance while Ubuntu always looked like an iMac wannabe, it's most recent look however feels like a tablet UI, just like windows 10 and 8. Mint is trying more and more to look like windows 10 also.
everything is trending toward tablets, fuck tablets I will never get a touch screen for my computer. get smudges and grease all over the screen is just fucking retarded.

Newer technology is so depressing, though. Hardware becomes more powerful, and efficient, but the extent to which the end user is abused increases exponentially. Modern software, and even hardware, is engineered to spy on the user. I don't think nostalgia for old computers, and software, is unfounded.

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (636x455, 40K)

Though I think windows 10 has a butt ugly UI and I hate being spied on. I will admit that 32-bit windows 10 is actually extremely compatible with legacy software. I've gotten programs meant for window 3.1 to run on 32-bit windows 10. 32-bit windows 10 will go into 16 bit mode, but you can't get 64-bit windows 10 to go into 16 bit mode.

>I don't think nostalgia for old computers, and software, is unfounded.
I agree with you, bugmen can tell me it's a neckbeard thing as much as they want, but current technology (especially software) really is, in general, more actively harmful to the end user, barring (most) free software. It's a shame, because, while hardware is objectively better (and no one is denying it, only those who autistically rage over people with nostalgia believe they do) it doesn't tend to be used for good.
While I generally believe software bloat is an exaggerated phenomenon, nowadays there is more care for form over function.
>lmao neckbeard modern software offers more functionality
Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. Stuff such as window animations, transparency and other fancy gimmicks are exactly that kind of "form over function" tendency: they are objectively useless features, you gain nothing, in practice, from their presence, and this goes for other things as well.
Also, for example, and Jow Forums is gonna throw an autistic fit at the mere mention of it, videogames in particular are simply not as fun, and older tech is often associated with older, better games.

>more car for form
yet Windows 10 is still the ugliest UI ever.

I don't like it either, but 99% of people will say it looks prettier than, say, Windows 95.

The modern flat design is so much lacking an aesthetic details, i want to throw up. I fucking hate it.

You're conflating slow hardware with comfy UI. It would be nice to have the old UI on Win98 but on modern hardware with modern support.

I literally configured error messages for my archlinux machine to play the Win98 chord sound.

Nostalgia is a bitch man.

install lxqt

Not OP, but all this does is make it more fun for me. You learn a lot in trying to find practical purposes for old technology in modern use cases.
I mean, you're running kind of a fucked up application stack on a system that wasn't that great even when it was new, I don't know what you expected. My NT4 machines maybe don't feel as responsive as my primaries and are lacking in the web surfing department but they're otherwise fine and pretty fun to work with.

As far as noise goes, sure, but at the same time, who cares? Why are people so fragile and afraid of machines that sound like machines nowadays? It's not even that loud.

If you want to actually match with an MII probably a Matrox Millennium, RIVA 128, or a Rage.

you're full of shit