$ rm ./folder

>$ rm ./folder
>rm: cannot remove './folder': Is a directory
>$ rm ./folder -d
>rm: cannot remove './folder': Directory not empty
>rm: remove write-protected regular file './folder/bullshit.cocks'?
>y
>rm: remove write-protected regular file './folder/fuck you.cocks'?
>y
>fast forward 9000 cocks and yeses later
>$ |

Attached: 1316771294957.jpg (453x604, 56K)

whoops forgot
>$ rm ./folder -d -r
but you get the idea. Who created this monster? Why it is faster to remove something with a GUI than the fucking command line.

Attached: ft5d5nb3cg_00005.jpg (245x324, 18K)

rm -rf
Wow. That was hard.

rm -R folder/

Look on the bright side you can do less accidental damage like that.

rmdir
rm -rf

Its not. It just took you longer to figure out because you didn't know how. If you wanted to do it again it would be much faster because you know tge command.

>Why it is faster to remove something with a GUI than the fucking command line.
Only if you know the GUI / its hotkeys, but apparently do not know the basic use of the fucking command line.

It is not faster otherwise. It's just rm -r.

Command line is inherently safer than GUI. These precautions don't make practical sense 30 years later.

(cont'd)
Also, no, you don't need ./ or -d .

Just rm -r.

[user@anon ~] $ rm -rf . /unwanted_dir/
Oops. You just deleted everything in your home directory.

There's no recycle bin in bash??

rm will refuse to remove . and ..
rm -rf /home/user/ unwanted_dir/
would be more problematic.

Pic related.

Attached: 02.png (461x660, 62K)

You can have a CLI recycle bin, but of course it's not there by default.

If you only ever used Explorer you may not know this, but most software doesn't ask again about every change you directed it to do.

Holy fucking shit, I can't believe how retarded this is.
Also, these.

Attached: 5b6f3a283e706377f2c31053b9ede6c4aa702e050b8caaf8c5fb7934d4c2ec9a.jpg (516x507, 62K)

rm -r directory
rmdir directory
rm file

>rm -rf
>pressing 4 extra keys to do what rm should just do by itself

it's sane, so you don't fuck up shit by accident and you don't need it that often
you can alias it anyways if you insist

just type rm *.* -r, everything will be fine

I wish I could know the story behind that picture.

The -f part, yeah, that's understandable, but when I type a remove command, it should automatically be able to remove files and multi-layers of directories.

alias rm="rm -rf"
wow that was hard

>things I shouldn't have to do to make a simple remove command work as it should

alias rm="/bin/rm -rf"
dont be silly

This. Btw guns shouldn't have a safety either.

>I am an authority on how basic tools should behave

the -f part is mostly unnecessary because normaly you don't have write protected stuff. -r is the safety trigger, so you don't accidentry remove directories (where might be something important in it, you forgot about)

Requiring the -rf option is pointless. After a little bit of experience everyone essentially automatically types "rm -rf" with muscle memory every time they delete something and it's 4 characters extra for no reason and any notion of safety is gone anyway.

Now do this 1000 more times for all the other things that are stupid by default and then repeat it every time you do a fresh install.

If a user wants to delete his Documents folder, it should be obvious that he also wants to delete the things inside the documents folder as well. Making the user type extra stuff like -r or -rf or whatever is just making the user jump through hoops to do what he intended to do.

>After a little bit of experience everyone essentially automatically types "rm -rf"
That's where you are wrong though. If you do this then you should start paying more attention to what you type.

>Why it is faster to remove something with a GUI
Wrong, rm ./folder -d -r and rm -rf ./folder is not the same as removing something with the GUI,
mv ./folder ~/.local/share/Trash/files/ is more like it, the GUI equivalent of rm -rf ./folder is SHIFT+DEL on the GUI.

>Now do this 1000 more times for all the other things that are stupid by default
Name ten.
>and then repeat it every time you do a fresh install.
Why wouldn't you just copy your .bashrc?

You always assume that it only prevents users from deleting directories they explicitly list. If you accidentally put a space somewhere in the path to a single file, it would delete the path before the space.

Users can just CD to the location containing the folder/s and files they wish to delete if they're afraid of screwing up the path.

So typing -rf is too much work, but changing into a directory just to delete something safely isn't?
Also you usually don't fuck up, if you're afraid to do so. You fuck up, when you don't expect it.

the CD is optional, the -rf generally isn't.

Another reason to have the user specify -rf. Safety should be the default and not optional.
Again, if you want it as default solution then use a Bash alias and be glad that it doesn't force you to remove the directory's content separately like rmdir.

The safety comes from the effort it takes to type the commands. I wouldn't type RM if I didn't want to delete something.

Yes and you can delete normal files just fine.

And this is why I use Windows. Click on folder. Press delete. Wow, so difficult.

Linux is fucked. I tried to do something on it the other day, which led me to require use of the command line. Which led to me googling how to do something which led to me googling something else which didn't work so I had to google something else, which led to an error message... to this day I'm convinced I was going down the rabbit hole of an endless loop of error messages and googling the errors.

Windows > Linux

(You)

>Click on folder. Press delete. Wow, so difficult.
You make it sounds like you're unable to do this on Linux. Every file manager worth a damn can do it.
rm is useful in scripts and because of glob matching.

Windows is an NT kernel. You used explorer.exe.

>Linux
Linux is also a kernel. Try using Nautilus, Dolphin, Thunar, PCManfm, ranger, mc, nnn, fff or whatever

Attached: 1561188741390.jpg (212x200, 7K)

Wow, you sure showed that retard by swallowing all of his bait.

>bait
more like Jow Forums in $(current year)

Attached: 1559338217879.jpg (289x275, 52K)

>$(current year)
Jow Forums has always been shitty, yet it is no excuse to keep it that way, at least learn to sage if you're not going to lurk like a proper newfag.

>no safty on fire arms
Enjoy shooting your dick

>bullshit.cocks
made me unironically laugh

Attached: CopyQ.zkXvNt.png (884x551, 21K)

That theme looks nice. Which one is it?

Good.
Deleting directories SHOULD be hard, in fact I'm upset that it isn't harder.

Linux colors.

Attached: 1561933139276.jpg (600x315, 34K)

You don't have to confirm shit in the gui because the gui tells you what you're about to delete. You know what you've selected, you know if it's a directory or a file. And it's not really removed, just moved to bin. Commandline has no guarantee you know you're about to delete a directory so it has to ask you to confirm or you need to specify that you know what you're doing - 'f'

>t. never used powershell
Oh no, 5 chars and a space

>I wouldn't type RM if I didn't want to delete something.
Then just alias 'RM' to delete a random file or a dir in your system. I mean, if you: want to delete something, don't want to make sure you delete what you want, don't want to make sure everything else is not deleted; then doing that seems to be the best and quickest option.

>what is the internet?
sudo rm -r ./folder
Holy shit, you don't even have to read the man page.

This, people who don't have time to use 'rm -rf' use
>Remove-Item -Recurse -Force
Like Bill Microsoft Gates intended

There's no safety provided by the three characters. It's such a negligible increase in typing that it really doesn't matter.
A mistake is generally far from the -rf, where you're actually intending to delete one folder tree, and then hit up an entirely different one on accident.

More sensible systems provide recycle bin and un-delete functionality, so such errors can be corrected. A full delete requires two actions, a move to the bin (which at its simplest could just be a bare folder, but a more sensible implementation would manage where stuff came from to make undeletion easy and not clobber existing files in the bin if they have the same name), and then a true delete, after you've been able to inspect whether the files you've put in the bin are actually the ones you were supposed to delete.
Mistakes are still possible, but now there's an actual safeguard.

On that note, I'm still particularly annoyed that in this era of large disks, there's still no nicely integrated automatic file versioning system, for if something stupid happens to a file, whether it be negligence or simply wanting to revert against an older state. Operating systems from the fucking 70s have had this.
I know a few people who store shit on Dropbox or MEGA or whatever just because these services do provide file versioning. Some people do shit like check a bunch of assorted files into a git repo (either local or remote) every once in a while.
CopyFS exists to bolt the feature onto your existing file systems, but it hasn't been maintained since like 2006 according to the file modification dates in the tarball.

rm -rf you dink. Don't you ever see memes about rm -rf? It's like the best known Linux command.