What does Jow Forums think of tablets running Windows?

What does Jow Forums think of tablets running Windows?

Attached: 87D3CC2F-04D0-4C00-A225-A720AF92AEF7.jpg (1060x595, 79K)

Other urls found in this thread:

telegraph.co.uk/technology/2017/12/19/apple-does-slow-older-iphones-not-reason-think/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

theyre all ass, to touch a screen is perverse

They're the only decent tablets

There is no reason for tablets to exist when laptops with touchscreens exist, tablets with keyboards are just retard laptops.

Planning on getting one as well to replace my laptop since its huge and the battery is pretty awful. I just want a Windows tablet to shitpost do office work.

based

The reason, along with dumb pajeets, that W10 and 8.1 UI is shit compared with 7.

which is ironic since w10 has built-on touch capabilities.

but that, too, is shit.

I had a Lenovo tablet running windows. It had a really nice display, was awful to charge, terrible battery life. No really useful apps and felt entirely like "hey look at this computer".
I sold it and got an android tablet and eventually an iPad pro later on.

They're a nice idea but they feel like they're there for specific use cases only.

2 in 1s are better since you have a proper keyboard rather than a floppy thing that requires a kickstand.

Attached: .jpg (775x500, 121K)

The only decent tablet to work and gayme on

fucking garbage

Only ones with swivel hinges are acceptable, and that seems to be nonexistent in recent years. The VAIO Z Flip gets a pass too

Attached: VaioZFlip.jpg (626x470, 31K)

Back in 2011 I had a 2nd gen iPad. It was fucking useless. It was impossible to do anything serious on it, and as a programmer it pissed me off that I couldn't even keep an SSH session alive while browsing the web. My tiny N900 was way more capable.

I fanboyed the fuck out when Windows 8 was announced. I was so excited that I'd be able to get a tablet with an OS designed for more than fingerpainting apps.

Turns out there's a reason why you can't run desktop OS on tablets. The flagship Surface had no battery life, was bulky and heavy, ran hot with fans, and couldn't idle to save its life. Meanwhile, Android and iOS kept improving and becoming more useful.

Now I think Windows tablets are just shittier laptops.

They're dumb unless they have a Wacom digitizer. OneNote alone makes it worth it. Also, this

You can give it the greatest hardware on earth but as a tablet they're pretty shit tier unless you're in it for movies or web browsing.
They have a very, very small niche as a mobile DAW.

>mobile DAW
kys retard

no u

This.

They're also the only serviceable tablets.

Attached: 1550913252877.jpg (697x932, 83K)

>back in 2011

you should have jailbroken it and installed openssh on it, loser.

>Apple admitted that it deliberately limits the performance of iPhones when a battery ages, to stop them shutting down without warning.
telegraph.co.uk/technology/2017/12/19/apple-does-slow-older-iphones-not-reason-think/

I bought a SurfaceGo, it got really shitty reviews which I don't get.
They whined about the performanced compared to an iPad but it can do so much more than an ipad and runs real software,

I use it onsite in customers factories and I love it with the pen input for one note.

I install gentoo on em

The reason why Surfaces get shitty reviews is that they're buggy as fuck.

>open type cover, tablet doesn't wake from sleep
>close type cover, tablet wakes up from sleep and drains battery in your bag
>hard to disable the flickery screen power save feature because there's no Intel Graphics Manager
>pen randomly disconnects and you have to take out and put the battery back in.
>keyboard randomly disconnects and you have to take it off and put it back on
>it freezes for 10-20 seconds if it runs out of RAM regardless what it's doing

I'm currently on an Acer Spin 1 and it has no issues at all, Microsoft has been making computer hardware for 6 years now, it's amazing how they couldn't even get lid handling right, when other brands got it right back in the 90s.

I like the recent ones that are more 2 in 1 convertibles.

tablets are for boomers

>No really useful apps
Just use regular programs dumbass.
>Runs Windows 10 for mobile apps
The fuck

Sloe af. Avoid at all cost

Most are not that good. Surface tablets... are not exactly the best thing but at the very least they have appropriate specs and a fairly responsive pen.

However when you think about it, unless you really need it it's still better to use something like android or iOS. Windows still remains slow at basic tasks that both of those can do almost instantaneously. If you need an office suit or such it's always better to just buy a laptop which is more comfortable to use. And if you need a tablet to draw on it, maybe spend a little more on something dedicated by Wacom.

My dad has always been a fan of using Windows on literally everything for just a set of snowflake unique applications that for some reason they haven't replaced yet. So he bought a few tablets like these. Most of them terrible up until the surface pros came out, honestly. Now he has a Surface Pro 3 that has a broken USB port (it kinda works but one of the pins got bent so it stops working if you move a cable a fucking milimeter) the charger works however and whenever it wants and it heats up like crazy. It's not too great.

He also grabbed a Surface Go and while some things were improved it's really weak for a tablet that's not exactly cheap. I think you can grab a Samsung tablet for the same price and take much less trying to open a web browser and do something or something else. For note taking it's excellent though. They're just overall slow devices and not cheap. They're also not really that touch friendly because shit's still Windows.

While I've never used or even seen a Surface device, I've had four or five WIndows tablets (including my laptop which is a convertible) and Windows 8+ is very touch-friendly, to the point that I've found it to be a better tablet OS than Android (I've never been dumb enough to buy an iPad)

I use my Surface all the time. However, even though I use the touchscreen on it all the time, I very rarely use a Metro app and almost always use regular Win32 software.

Windows 8.1 is more properly designed than 10 for touch stuff and has a fullscreen split mode (that unfortunately only works for their own applications). I don't know, it takes much less time for me to open up a website on his SP3 which can blow many android tablets out of the water in specs and it takes much more time to do so. File management, rearranging and resizing windows is also a bit of a pain without actually using a pen. If you don't care about screen estate sure, maybe turn up scaling to a point where your finger can easily deal with it, but I feel that's a bit of a waste.

>Windows 8.1 is more properly designed than 10 for touch stuff
That must be the issue. I refuse to touch 10. I've actually been in the market for a new Windows tablet but haven't bought one because you can't get a new device with 8.1 anymore. I guess I should look into used Teclast tablets or something

What's a good win10 tablet that I can use for drawing, reading mango, and emulators like xenia?

Remember tablets? Whatever happened to them, I thought they were supposed to be the future of everything.

10 remains a mess, I don't understand why MS is forcing people to update to 1903.

Intelligent mobile telephones, replaced them.

>close type cover, tablet wakes up from sleep and drains battery in your bag
Tbh, I hate this so much. I always make sure my tablet is in sleep mode before throwing it into bag.

>tablets running Windows
A fucking meme.
It's just a laptop without a keyboard.

Attached: 1561778647814.jpg (540x533, 72K)

Useless unless you wipe them and install GNU or Android.

I'll take Windows over Android any day

On a tablet? Fuck no.

Fuck yes.

Same.

Enjoy your useless telemetry brick.

This is the appeal.

>desktop OS
>more useless than a cellphone OS on a non-cellphone

I meant cellphone OS

Same as of any other tablets

yeah I like my visual studio

They were neat back in 2013-2015 when they first came out but if you need a mobile windows platform you're really better off with a convertible laptop or something like that. The Dell Venue Pros I had were more buggy than not although it was cool being able to run x86 on something that small.

Android can pretty much do most CLI stuff that you can do on linux.
And yes, I'd rather use android with no telemetry than a literal spyware OS. Using windows on a tablet is as retarded as buying those amazon/google wiretaps.

It can. That will, however, never take away Windows' ability to take away Windows 8's reign.

I had a inexpensive one with 8.1 I used for years, it was really nice. The battery died and is too expensive, it makes more sense to buy a newer tablet than spending half the price keeping a old one limited to ie11 going.

I think they're a useless gimmick, unless they have active stylus pen support

There's plenty of tablet PCs with swappable RAM out there. They usually have 1 module soldered and 1 SODIMM though, so you can end up with some weird combination like 4+8GB RAM

I got a Thinkpad Helix 2 with 8GB RAM (soldered) and a 1TB SSD I added in. It's fucking great for OneNote with the pen, media, and general usage on the go. It gets me about 7 hrs of battery life, the keyboard dock adds another 6.
In total, it was about $350.

The only issue is Windows 10 has really messed up sleep mode, which seems to be a very widespread problem with other tablets and laptops in general.

Win 10 is better for touch than 8.1. That screen snapping thing? It works with all apps in 10.