/spg/ - Smartphone General

Best $400 phone edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget, and size.

Good Resources:
>Reviews, Specs, Comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency Checker
kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker
frequencycheck.com
willmyphonework.net

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual Phone Size Comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Recommended Chinkphones
pastebin.com/sQbs83pY

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Previous thread

Attached: oneplus7.0.jpg (1200x800, 45K)

Other urls found in this thread:

redpocket.com/plans
mintmobile.com/plans/
usmobile.com/plans
tello.com/buy/custom_plans
freedompop.com
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Anyone had any issues bringing a pixel 3a over to at&t?

Two SPG up

based

best $200 phone that isnt redmi note 7

Zenfone Max Pro M1 4/64 for $125.

My friend wanted something under 6 inches. I recommended the Pixel 3a and the Mi 9 SE as mid-range options and the S10e, Google Pixel 3 and the Sony XZ3 as high end options.
Anything I overlooked?

Scratch the XZ3, I forgot that it's 6 inches.

XZ1

> Country
Philippines
> Carrier
Smart
> Wanted features
Preferably large storage(although not really important because of sd cards), good display, don't really care for camera quality I barely take pictures or videos.
> Budget
$140-160
> Size
6 inches
> Use
Reading, audio listening, that's it really. Need to replace my 5 year old Asus Zenfone 5.

S8 and S9. Huawei P30 is pushing it, but similar to Mi9 SE in footprint

Rn7

kek

Anything I should consider other than the pocophone f1? Budget 280$.

It won't work in burgerland.

Anything wrong with the Moto G7 Play? My dad needs a new phone and 215 kangaroo dollars is looking good. He only uses it for Netflix and light browsing.

No, go for it.

Realme 3 pro

thanx senpai

Attached: yotsubox HD.png (1551x1602, 354K)

The Poco's price went up on Ali wtf?!

Redmi K20/Mi 9T is a better Pocophone

Do you still need Root for adaway, or is there alternatives? It's the only reason I root.

fuck, ill buy it then
just a bit boring going from Redmi Note 3 Pro to another Xiaomi phone.

Is xiaomi.eu's K20 Pro ROM still fucked?
I'm guessing the 9T's ROM doesn't work on a K20 Pro.

On Android 8 and above, you can set your private DNS to dns.adguard.com. Otherwise you can install NetGuard from its GitHub

Ur dick

How expensive are phone plans in US?
I'm in UK atm and pay £5 for 500mb of data.
Can I get something similar in US? It's just for Ubers/emergency really, I don't watch/stream videos/music on data.

Hahahaha lolololololol

Redmi Note 7

pocophone ser on olx hehe

so now that it's been out for a while, anyone here who actually got the 9T and can tell me how it holds up in every day usage?

Ser ano po magandang cp? kek

You can get some cheap plans if you know where to look for and your usage is small:

Red Pocket
redpocket.com/plans
>500 Texts
>500 min calls
>500MB 4G data
$10/mo

Mint Mobile
mintmobile.com/plans/
>Unlimited texts
>Unlimited calls
>3GB 4G data per month (unlimited data at reduced speeds after using monthly data allowance)
$15/mo

US Mobile
usmobile.com/plans
>100 texts
>100 min calls
>300MB data
$10/mo (customizable plans offered, this is just one example what you can get)

Tello
tello.com/buy/custom_plans
>Unlimited texts
>500 min calls
>500MB 4G data (Unlimited 2G data)
$8/mo (customizable plans offered, this is just one example what you can get)

FreedomPop
freedompop.com
>500 texts
>200 min calls
>200/500 MB 4G data (depending on if your phone's GSM or CDMA)
$0/mo

have a galaxy s8 right now and thinking about upgrading. the s10e seems alright and about the same price for the s9+ for me, is there any reasons not to or just get an s9?

Aren't you helpful

Just get the S10e, everything's better except the pillshit notch. The S9 is garbage by comparison

help me out bros. I'm deciding if i should buy Ipad Pro or Tab 5. I used to have a Tab 2 but its so fucking shitty i got turned off with Samsung products as a whole. Ipad pro looks great but I really don't fancy any apps from apple while I have clover and other apps that i like on Android. help me bros

In the same position. Having tried the S10e for a few days, I'd say it's not enough of an upgrade. The form factor is deliciously perfect, but losing both the notification LED and the force feedback home button is dumb. I'd wait for S11e, but only if the cameras are Huawei flagship tier in low light. It's close, but not close enough

A Galaxy Tab 2? That old piece of trash has nothing to do with even Samsung tablets that came out 2-3 years ago. I switched from a Note 8.0 to a Tab S2 when it came out and while I was missing the stylus it was fucking night and day.

Are you high? The new night sight update makes it better than the Pixels in low light. That should be good enough

Yeah tab s2. The fucking charging port broke since it was still using the microusb port

Anyone else here use their redmi note 7 without a case? Is this heresy?

Yeah I prefer Samsung's over the Pixel's, but it' still behind Huawei's. More importantly for me is the indoor performance, which is still noticeably better on the P30. I need it to be significantly better than the S8 to upgrade, and not just the camera performance

Nice spyware onebap

Attached: K9GfGS3.jpg (1440x3120, 390K)

Huawei OS is dogshit though

What? What's this

They was spamming push messages on every oneplus devices.

Which part of "Huawei low light camera perf (or better) in a Samsung phone" that you don't understand?

Not gonna happen soon.

>During an internal test, our OxygenOS team accidentally sent out a global push notification to some OnePlus 7 Pro owners. We would like to apologize for any difficulties

wait, Xiaomi phones dont work on US bands?

>accidentally

>"哈哈哈" translates to "hahaha"

Attached: images (58).jpg (279x181, 4K)

Is it better to buy a current year midrange phone or a 2-3 year old flagship for about the same price?

currently debating between the sony xz and the mi a2 lite.

XZ is a pile of shit, I had one. I'm using a cheap phone now and it's way way smoother
just fucking get the Mi it's fantastically smooth and better. There's no gcam on sonyshit either

go for the flagship, usually they're still flagship quality

Flagship, but not Sony

Not so sure really. Flagships began excluding micro SD card slots, headphone jacks, but mid range phones didn't. Mi A2 Lite is nowhere near the best choice and someone explained why XZ isn't a good idea either. Try something like Redmi Note 7 for example.

When can we expect the Mi a3/a3lite to come out

not sure if it's true for all of them, but some are missing important US bands, yeah.

Any decent cases/screen protectors for the samsung a50? For cases I just need a decent grip, and for the screen protector, at least one that won't fuck with touchscreen responsiveness or its already less than decent fingerprint sensor

What are my options for a non-shit 4 inch phone these days? Just a dated iphone?
I really don't like that these things keep getting bigger.

>settling for this
top kek

Speaking of Redmi Note 7, is it good? Like, really good? The specs are nice for the price and from what I've seen, it has a healthy custom ROM support. How is the build quality?

Yes. The screen to body ratio has improved enough that the screen size is not always the most determining factor. They didn't bother with screens that small for a while because to be honest, you can't do much with them either.

>How is the build quality?
If you try to bend your phone in half, it won't survive. Other than that thing you shouldn't do - it's good.

>case
I ordered the Nillkin Super Frosted Shield Matte, it's not here yet but it was like $5 on ebay from China, seems fine
>screen protector
no idea, using the one it already had applied out of the box

Attached: 800-800x800.jpg (800x800, 93K)

the fuck do i get then, everyone recs the rn7

Bands are a meme, as long as you get just one band you're good

I want a OnePlus is it actually chink botnet shit?

no, it's the best smartphone brand

>400usd for OnePlus 7
How and where
Big if true

Attached: post.jpg (417x600, 80K)

>where
the land of shitting streets

is motorola literally the only US available company that makes midrange spec phones that aren't complete garbage? I looked around for just an average phone that still has a headphone jack and expandable storage (dont know why it's being normalized for these to not exist) and I ended up picking the G7. I'm not a gamer or a photographer, I just want to have a phone and a music player with lots of room for music.

Attached: moto_pae00002us_g7_64gb_smartphone_unlocked_1455102.jpg (2500x2500, 318K)

The newer A series from Samsung kinda get into that category as well.

Is there a way to spoof that you're using a different phones than what you're actually using when sites or apps detect what tyle of phone you're using?

Nice heads up, looks like this is a very new release for the US and they do look like exactly what I described. Will definitely have to keep am eye out for some reviews of em

Ah looked further and the A50 is only Verizon and Sprint available. Guess I wont cancel my G7 order just yet since I'm on t-mobile, shame since Samsung's track record is actually starting to get pretty good

Another day, another burger cucked by the network cartel. It's just ironic that you can't use any phone you want in the land of capitalism

Yeah it's fucked. I mean the G7 ain't so bad either.

Yeah it'll definitely do the job, I've had a good experience with motorola before. I just dont get why america is so fucking cucked in this market.

>notch/hole
>curved corners
>curved screen edges
>no front facing speakers
>some other notch/hole workaround like a mechanical flip/popout thing which is gonna break at some point
>under screen front facing camera so you have no privacy any more
>no headphone jack
>no removable battery
>glass sandwich meme instead of comfy durable plastic
>planned obsolesence OLED screen
>stupid under screen fingerprint scanner

There will never be another phone without any of these stupid shitty memes
That's it, I've fucking HAD IT M8

Attached: 1561855993224.jpg (682x515, 23K)

I'm buying a cheap phone
Which one do you think should I go? Nokia 6.1 plus or Nokia 8? I'll use it in some games for past time too if you're wondering

I always spell Huawei as Huwaii. Am I retarded?

what's your budget, which country are you in, and what's important in a phone for you?

currently using this (Galaxy A50 4/64GB). fucking great. Got the brand name and non-shit UI. Previously using xiaomi and it has a lot of adware. This has none.

Attached: Galaxy-A50-696x435.jpg (696x435, 34K)

Samsung's UI is shit tho, too, maybe a little better than Xiaomi's, but still.
I wish they just shipped all phones with Android One...

just get nova, easy fix

Samsung pisses me the fuck off, I have an s8 plus with this amazing display, the buttons are hidden which is nice then this shit fucking update comes out that shows either the swipe buttons or normal buttons at all times, what's the fucking point removing the physical buttons for screen space and not utilising that screen by having the digital buttons there anyway, absolute fucking idiots.

Zenfone Max Pro M1 64GB
Fuckhuge battery with SD card slot. But if you can, try saving more for a Pocophone.

t.RN5 user

>July 1st
>Still no announcement on US release of Zenfone 6

Why are they holding out on us Burgers? We want the fucking phone.

Attached: 1546899418343.gif (200x200, 470K)

redpill me on android one

Stock Android with no bloat, direct updates from Google, two years guaranteed software updates, three years security patches

I own a Mi Max 2 and grabbed this one, arriving soon. Adware wasn't my problem with it, it was mostly MIUI as a whole and the fact that custom ROMs with basic ass android wouldn't cut it either. If I had the choice in my case I'd probably go for a device with Android One but as I understand at the very least the few options that I wanted from a new phone are present on samsung's One UI and they just weren't on MIUI.

One question: How's the microphone quality? I know that most phones are shit at that but it'd be nice to have some sort of feedback on that one. Everyone's talking about recording video or pictures (good enough for me), the fingerprint scanner (which before I didn't even bother it took me a whole second to unlock on a different terminal, though I can understand people disliking that) but I'm more into the small things.

>I don't understand how front facing under screen cameras work

what are some nice sub $400 ungoogled chinkphones?

buy an iPhone

iPhone SE, Sony XZ1 Compact, that's pretty much it

How long do you guys expect your phones to last? I've had an S8 for 2 years and am hoping to get another 2 years out of it.

Attached: 1554077943486.jpg (1080x1080, 1.43M)

Thanks, I'll be probably buying one similar to those. That's sorta what I'm looking for.

For me, as long as I don't pay more than 300 bucks 3 years is good. Though I still have a Moto G that's working pretty well.