5 Biggest MYTHS of Software Development According To Andy Sterkowitz

5 Biggest MYTHS of Software Development According To Andy Sterkowitz

>1. Software developers can read code just by looking at it
yes we can. newbies like him who only have a couple of years worth of experience and no mental capabilities can't. (he's been a car salesman before he taught himself programming in one year)
>2. Software development is an exact science
it is an exact science but if you do front end development and have literally no background in computer science you'll simply claim it isn't because you unironically lack all the knowledge that distinguishes you from a code monkey.
>3. Skills is everything you need to become a software developer
skills is everything in every job. i've seen persons who worked half a decade in software dev and they had literally no skills at all. they are the ones who are responsible for failed projects and huge workloads. if you work in a highly skilled environment work gets done. unskilled faggots drag everybody down with them.
>4. All good software developers are highly intelligent
yes they are but unfortunately an unexplainable influx of "self-taught" idiots changed that.
>5. No one right now in 2019 will hire you as a junior developer without any school or any experience
thankfully companies finally realized that self-taught programmers are a meme.

youtube.com/watch?v=opiRbgDml24

Attached: 5-myths.jpg (457x669, 41K)

Other urls found in this thread:

sengifted.org/stress
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Sterkowitz
Knowing what to ignore is half the battle user

based

Shit thread as OP's life

>No one right now in 2019 will hire you as a junior developer without any school or any experience
>thankfully companies finally realized that self-taught programmers are a meme.

It isnt only that, but software companies now, to get valuable contracts, need insurance and most insurers will want a list of programmers and developers and they want to see proof of their qualifications before insuring them. Only tinpot companies go around hiring self taught programmers and they get menial jobs and small-time contracts that arent worth a polished turd

>Sterkowitz
>Sterko
"Sterco" means literal bullshit in italian

are you a self taught developer?

Why, yes. How could you tell?

Attached: 1546156786087.png (352x377, 167K)

. All good software developers are highly intelligent
>yes they are but unfortunately an unexplainable influx of "self-taught" idiots changed that.
I haven't seen the video, but the thumbnail shows "140 IQ". If that's his definition of "highly intelligent", then no, you don't need to be highly intelligent to be a good developer.

trying to justify your expensive education?

(ps I'm not 100% against school. I wasted 100k euros on uni and didn't even get a diploma.)

>I wasted 100k euros on uni and didn't even get a diploma
what are you doing for a living and how the fuck did you manage to burn 100k euros for uni (isn't education in europe free anyway)?

living with my parents at the moment.
higher education isn't free in the netherlands. it's a loan, but you used to get part of it back if you graduate within a certain time. now it's all just a loan. I took 900~1000 eu/month for ~7 years, and tried to do STEM, but couldn't even complete a bachelor. trying to do it also contributed to me becoming suicidal. (not that I think the education system from any other country would've been better for me...)

man... you're fucked.

Attached: chicken-hug.gif (350x349, 2.96M)

Oh, another college shilling thread. kys

A decade or 2 ago there where no programming schools faggot.

are you going to call me a wagie?

Attached: smug.jpg (1200x800, 84K)

There is something called HBO Jehein.
costs you a nickle.

think about what you just posted.

oho, so programming schools are for zoomers?

Still remembered back in the early 90s.
>Oy can you turn on a computer and you know what RAM is?
>Y-yes

>You are hired here is a book of c++ learn the basics by next week

Even my first boss learned how to program IBM computers back in late 70s by just going toying with it then by going to these IBM lectures they did in their HQ.

Attached: 1525388794348.png (380x349, 77K)

>Oy can you turn on a computer and you know what RAM is?
>Y-yes
>You are hired here is a book of c++ learn the basics by next week

stop larping, faggot. back then software development was even less accessible than today. you couldn't find a job without a degree in computer science or anything comparable.

god i wish that were me

HAHA no my son.
Especially on the .com boom era they threw mad money on frivolous things.
Like there was no stopping for growth.

Though now its horrid i agree, but it seems it started when HR became more "important" IMAO.

But just having a "degree" doesn't make you a good programmer.
You still need to show your work and understand code logic and implement it.

Than just remembering code.
Even goat fuckers in the afghan mountains know the Koran out of their head.

ok i'll bite:
so you claim you had no degree in the following fields and got hired by some company?
>electrical engineering
>computer science
>mathematics
>telecommunication
>information technology
>physics
>engineering

freelance

>7 years
>couldn't even complete a bachelor
holy fuck and i thought i'm a brainlet

He's literally correct you sperg. Reading other people's code is a nightmare.

it's the opposite problem actually. I'm gifted, and the educational system rewards putting in many hours of repetition and following rules rather than thinking critically. uni's make most gifted people just depressed. I performed very well in the few courses that did give me some freedom, but that's not enough of course.

most students who can't hack it but do put in a lot of time, will leave within the first year, and at most in the second year.

No only had electricity in high school.
But shit wasn't easy had to understand how to program the front buffer and back buffer in Windows api in c++, back in 96.
I wasn't experienced, but you manage by just trying.

Remembered that was hard.
And there was no such thing as a drag and drop UI like today.
And i only made software for like accounting its just basic math.
All the hard stuff just read a book nigga and implement it.

>le smart but lazy
yawn. you're just a dumbass. maybe when you get older you'll realize that part of being successful is doing shit you don't want to do. that's basically the entire reason employers want to see a degree in the first place.

these misconceptions make it so hard for gifted people to get any kind of support, which is part of the reason why depression and suicide is so common among them (even children).

Ever noticed its only children that have good memory skills that are good in college or high school?
But ask them to do something abstract and out of the box and they freeze.

I learned VB 4 in 96.
It's drag & drop.

Only encountered it in 98 - 99 but i'm from Belgium.

I'm from Asia.
I first saw VB 1.0 Windows in around 92 or 93.
Open a calculator sample and I didn't have any idea how it worked because I only knew programming in DOS GW-Basic and dBase 3+.
Later I learned VB 3 in uni but I installed VB 4 in my PC.
I was amazed how easy it was to code in Windows with VB.
Pic is book I used to learn VB 4.

Attached: vb4.jpg (260x328, 22K)

>it is an exact science
If you are following the waterfall model and end up delivering the exact specification (that by that point no one wants anymore) then sure

just like Mishook, just another nobody-jew who couldn't make anything of himself in the IT industry so he becomes a youtube (((expert)))

i don't trust youtubers who teach programming

>Local gifted user incapable of reading through a book once to get a C grade at worst

I was still using this late 90s what i could remember.
We hardcoded everything.
Getting the printers to work was a nightmare sometimes.

Think i only really used VB from 99 - 2001 and then .net from 2002.
Then they gave it up for Spring framework.

Attached: win32MultiThread.jpg (524x648, 36K)

"Italian" means the nigger of europe in english

>Insurance blah blah blah
No what they want is valid I9s , which many pajeets do not have. They don't care if John Jones got his certs from MacDonald's

VB & Delphi were pretty popular in late 90s and early 2000s.
Then MS ditched VB and created .Net, so we moved to VB.Net.
Later I adopted C#.
I'm mostly doing backend codes with C# and T-SQL.
It seems I have to embrace Javascript now even though I hate doing UI.

You're not gifted. You're suffering from Dunning Kruger. You will never improve unless you confront your faults.

Use SPA's bro.
Angular or VUE, React.

Making complex UI's has never been easier.
Almost acts like desktop UI's.
With a little learning.

||
||> !
||

>SPA
I heard it's PWA which is the hot stuff now.

stop being such a pussy. get on your feet and do something with your life. how old are you? 25?

>Angular
Angular 2 uses TypeScript and TS looks like C#.
Seems comfy.

You sound jelly of autodidacts

Attached: op-jelly.jpg (900x900, 81K)

Yeah, I used to think the same thing until I turned 30 and realized I was actually just a lazy cunt. Doesn't matter how smart you are if you don't work for what you want. It's not highschool anymore where mommy pats you on the back because you think factoring polynomials is easy.

hmm seems nothing much changed how you render your code though if you switch to PWA

Angular is kinda outdated imo.
Rather go for React or Vue.

Don't know.
I only know basic JS.
Not even jQuery level.

>1. Software developers can read code just by looking at it
Depends if it was written by a programmer or a coder, or a jewish monkey
>2. Software development is an exact science
There is always a perfect solution but time constraints mean that for nearly any project you will never solve the problem perfectly
>3. Skills is everything you need to become a software developer
Define skills. The only jobs I know of that don't require skills are jobs that can be had with a liberal arts degree.
>4. All good software developers are highly intelligent
Depends where you draw the line on someone being a software developer. I've worked with many asians that are fucking retarded but can write all the code you don't want to for like $2/hr
>5. No one right now in 2019 will hire you as a junior developer without any school or any experience
While I'll admit I haven't applied for or submitted my resume for a job in three+ years, I doubt things have changed so significantly that you can't get a job without a degree or certs or realworld experience.
I will also admit that this is yet another vague statement that really doesn't make clear what it is getting at. I have no degree, no certs. I did start programming at about the age of 12, but had no real-world experience when I got my first job (how would I?) They hired me because I seemed smart, and I had ideas to solve their problems before I was even hired. They didn't spend any time training me, they simply showed me the problems they had and I got to work. After that job, I never had to worry about lack of degree or certs because I had the fabled real-world experience. Again, I doubt things have changed much. As someone that now owns my own business, I'll say, that if it comes to an indian or chinese, yeah I'll want to see some serious proof they can work, when it comes to americans and europeans, I'll let them show me what they can do and go from there.

>Angular is kinda outdated imo
Really?
JS frameworks live short.

nah, I am. most people just have no clue what giftedness actually entails.

look, here's such a person: also, you didn't read my posts carefully.

Attached: ayy.png (349x758, 130K)

Its not really JS, but node.js like
React has it own react.js for example which is only a copy of node.js really.

Its not that hard.
Pure JS is a nightmare compared to React.js.

Give it a spin on React or Vue.
It acts more like Java or C# like its Components are like classes.

>yes they are but unfortunately an unexplainable influx of "self-taught" idiots changed that.
tfw you fall for the college meme

Well where one of the very first popular SPA.
Then came React and Vue with far better html rendering and components who are better manageable.

Oyea and it also uses ES6

The web dev team have already used Angular.
Soon our team (desktop) will migrate to web too and I consider using Angular so we don't have too many frameworks to maintain.
But I'll take a look at React and Vue too since i haven't decided what JS frameworks to use.

Yea i think hardcoded UI's even like in .net will be a thing of the past.

But made like these SPA/PWA.
Think you can already do it.
Though its performance is kinda bad.

did some wop fuck your mama?

I know what you are going through.
I was writing a 500 words reply but I'm going to tldr: work on the shit that interests you. Hopefully you start working on it right now, it's going to change you life.

Why the fuck are you arguing points made by a car salesman who taught himself programming in 1 year?

Are you really that desperate for attention?

>work on the shit that interests you
yeah, I think that's part of the solution, but putting it into practice can be impossibly hard. especially after/while experiencing an existential crisis and anhedonia (and the depression variant of anhedonia: a loss of interest).

because this nigger is driving more self taught idiots into programming

I read your posts carefully. You're not gifted. Do you know what gifted people do? They succeed no matter what. A gifted human raised under oppressive conditions will either turn them in their favor or escape them. They'll quickly put themselves far in front of others even if they started with a severe handicap. They reach these heights not because of some actual natural born knowledge, but because of interest and drive. They spend shitloads, and shitloads of time practicing their interest area, and through their dedication they generally grow an incredible ability to predict and think abstractly. The psychology of a gifted person makes them very difficult to truly keep down. They don't fold under light pressure like you.

You are not gifted. Gifted people are not lazy. Given your situation, a gifted person would put in thousands of hours of busy work if they knew it would get them what they want. They don't care, it's not wasted time, it's necessary to do what they really want to do. You're a scrub, at best, and a narcissist at worst. I know the type. You fuckers are really annoying. No goals, no drive, just whining.

literally who

A lotta really expensive cope in this thread

How old are you?

>software developers are highly intelligent
CSlets genuinely believe this

Attached: download-1.jpg (228x221, 11K)

yeah, no.
give some of these articles a read: sengifted.org/stress

become a developer in three month, it's super awesome!

as a consultant I am in anticipation of a lot of cleaning up task in the near future.

dude
you aren't a teenager anymore. you're most likely around 25 years old. stop your self-pity and go do something. nobody is going to hold your hand or help you now. even your parents are probably sick of you. depression sucks but you have to get anti depressants and pull yourself out of your misery.

30 year old boomer reporting.

Why delet this?

Seems like "gifted" is being used as a meme word here. They act like there are huge numbers of gifted kids being wasted, when maybe 0.1% of humans truly stand out from the rest. Normies love to think their kid is intellectually """gifted""" but normies also think their kid could truly be a sport or media superstar. The problems highlighted by that site are things which destroy normal kids who have a chance at being useful in society. Especially that "existential depression" thing. Literally everyone with a brain in their skull who has been given a glimpse of the real world will go through that. As for the substance abuse thing? Sure, the legitimately gifted often go through a period of learning where they use shit like adderall or modafinil to keep focused for more hours of the day, but eventually they'll realize it's not worth it in the long run, and they'll settled on just using caffeine if anything.

Those articles are talking about the 50% of humans who can be easily trained to do quite complex work. They're not ditch digging material, but they're also not going to be advancing our collective knowledge. They can learn quite a bit, and can carry out vital work. They're important, and it's a shame to have them be wasted through a lack of support, but it's not an enormous loss. That might be you. A potential code monkey, relegated to dwelling in a basement and bitching on Jow Forums. Humanity surely mourns the loss.

fpbp

that's a lot of words to just show you're arrogant and dumb.

he's talking like a true entrepreneur

but he isn't wrong

wtf meneer? how could you be so bad?

intelligent and gifted people usually don't spend time posting on imageboards.

really? kek
what do you know?

yeah, he is wrong. just not wrong enough to be dismissed without experience or knowledge of these things.

severe depression, my man. burn out and severe stress is becoming an issue for many students.

Wow, fantastic argument. You're clearly a hidden genius. If only you were coddled more maybe you could help people buy computers at a local store. Instead, you're just a living cliché of teenage culture.

25 is still young right? College is usually 4 years and lets say you're 18 when graduated high school, so how could 3 years gap seems so wide and my peers seems succesful already?

Because they played the college game then played the career game. Literally all you have to do is go through the motions and memorize the things so you can get money to be independent. It's delayed gratification: Put up with bullshit for a few years, then a lifetime of higher wages and more respect. Lots of people aren't capable of it, and companies don't want to hire anyone who doesn't have the patience for a few years of college.

First post in this thread.

I'm 25. I want to be naive enough to believe that I can make a serious difference, but I know it's unlikely; I'm just trying to make small improvements to people's lives. I'm going into teaching, and I tell people it's some sort of epiphany, but it's not; I just recognize I don't have the suitability to play office politics all day long. I have just about enough charisma to keep a room full of bored teenagers remotely interested in some work. Frankly, I haven't gotten here by hard work and dedication, I've gotten here on one thing alone: tenacity. The pure refusal to quit.

I wonder where that puts me on the scales of things. Either way, I feel like a lot of people create these weirdly polarized views of success - they must either do all with perfection, or feel as though they've done nothing. Man do we groom for that hard in society, and it's crippling to young people. Some people break down into existential terror, others begin to condition themselves into worthlessness like a self-fulfilling prophecy, and others double down on any issue where they might be wrong perhaps as a means to simply avoid admitting being wrong.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, you don't have to be extraordinary. You can be very ordinary and adequate, but still do something extraordinary not by your accomplishments but by simply trying to do that extraordinary thing. Who knows, maybe it'll rub off on someone who can do something truly extraordinary.

>Normies love to think their kid is intellectually """gifted"""
my school thought it too, turns out i was just a mild sperg so i was good at computers and shit but not a complete basket case socially

Attached: 1560732897219.jpg (600x338, 63K)

Pretty much. It's a long drawn out expensive way of saying "I can be given shitty tasks and follow the rules to produce results that meet a certain threshold "

Literally who?

I'm a goddamm intern and i'm self taught motherfucker.

I just have lots of tech friends around me who help me learn

Your definition of "Gifted" seems to be "is jesus. and doesn't ever need emotional suport."

I've met people who would literally succeed at anything that fit into their particular genius, like just having a knack for making critically acclaimed art pieces. And were in general successful in anything they took seriously.

But if they are too depressed to paint, they are not suddenly ungifted.

Think for two moments about the rammifications of your assertions, user.

You literally fit into that 50% figure I gave. Half of humanity has SOME promise, but it's going to be a very long walk uphill to make it. You're not special for having the capability, you're literally average. That's fine. I am too. Tenacity keeps us from being the sad failure OP is. I'm sure we've both had... difficulties, but we would keep going. Even we had to lick our wounds for a bit first.

People who are highly prone to depression cannot be fixed just by supporting them. Like it or not, their psychology will always get in the way of success. Their potential talent might be locked away, which makes them like anyone else. Worse, even.
How do I know? I've wasted lots, and lots, and lots of time on depressed people who I thought had promise. It's like trying to reform an alcoholic who's own body produces ethanol if they think about it. Their body fights their work, and their medication dulls their mind. It's fucking awful. I've come to realize that these people are not gifted at all. They will probably on average perform only as well as a dedicated "ungifted" person, but they're far less happy even in moderate success. It's not a gift. If you tell them they're gifted, it would probably piss them off if they had the energy to be pissed. They are cursed. Even in achievement, they are cursed.

Yeah, at least I'm something. I figured I'd be dead by now. I was really fuckin' sick in my late teens and early twenties. I'm gonna keep striving to do something big, but if I don't make it, fuck it I've done something alright.

As controversial as this may be, every single time I've suffered from depression, it's been because of physical issues. I think we really overhype the whole mental health aspect.

>Tenacity keeps us from being the sad failure OP is.
OP here.
i'm not a failure. just stating how it is. self taught programming faggots are a failure though. people can keep telling themselves that self taught programming is a thing. they are like nurses who think that the physician who came fresh out of uni knows less about medicine than them but quickly realize after some time that they only have rudimentary knowledge about medicine compared to him.
self taught programmers are worse because they never understand that there is more to programming than just typing code. they are basically niggers who think that picking cotton on the fields taught them everything about the cotton industry.

Yep, sorry. I lost track of things between the hours of posting, and for some reason thought Mr. Gifted was the thread OP. You're alright. Self taughts are 99% garbage. I'd know, I've been hired to replace their unmaintainable disasters. My rates for such work have steadily gone up over time, and companies still pay for it. Incredible, they'll hire me to do 120 hours at $110, but they couldn't afford an actual developer in the first place. I've seen companies do this, and at the same time have a job ad open for an "entry level developer" paying 5k less than I would have taken when I was fresh from school eight years ago. There is no God.

any logical person would realise that companies run by poor management would just result in everyone being tired and overworked in the long run

now I remember why I stopped coming to Jow Forums cause I was reading a bunch of demoralizing comments that puts negativity into my thought process and hinders my progress.