Microsoft developer reveals Linux is now more used on Azure than Windows Server

>web.archive.org/web/20190701160059/https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-developer-reveals-linux-is-now-more-used-on-azure-than-windows-server/

Attached: t.jpg (1460x1074, 177K)

Other urls found in this thread:

appleinsider.com/articles/19/06/30/editorial-no-bill-gates-windows-was-not-iphones-natural-nemesis
commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Siemens-nixdorf-logo.jpg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Linux is a kernel.

One that intel and microsoft contribute tons to specifically for server hosting purposes

It's free, after all.

Why is Bill Gates reading about Citroën history?

what laptop is it?

It's because linux is cheaper. I have azure accounts (bought for cheap from some chinese lmao) and they charge you an extra ~50% for using windows server as a 'license fee'. If they made the fee significantly less, or removed it altogether, I imagine more people would use windows server.

Is there a reason to Azure then?

I just Ubuntu everything because I have no idea what I'm doing.

Only old and fat people who haven't learned anything new in the last 10 years use windows on the server.

> I imagine more people would use windows server.
> need another DB instance, wat get: Linux w/128 MB OS mem usage or Windows w/1GB mem usage
> Windows it is, I love paying for bloatware

great article on what gates did not achieve

appleinsider.com/articles/19/06/30/editorial-no-bill-gates-windows-was-not-iphones-natural-nemesis

ford recently kicked microsoft software off their cars

Azure has windows server, not just normal Windows

Business strategy.

Right, sorry. Windows with 4GB memory usage

>I imagine more people would use windows server
Have you actually ever installed and maintained a Windows server? I have installed and maintained a few including Core. I hope never again.

I'll spin one up now and see how much RAM windows server 2016 uses, then

Windows is far superior.

Is this news? I am not sure of source but I read years ago that azure and its whole infrastructure was running on linux servers. I thought this was widely known

F16s_v2 on Windows server.

Attached: azure.png (703x591, 22K)

So... yes?

well it's less than half of what you said

But pretty much twice of the original 1GB claim.
Now install IIS and MSSQL

They probably just didn't want to figure out the licensing hurdles or wanted to cheap out on CALs.

By default MSSQL will use all the ram available to save the precious IOPSes.

It's confidential, or else someone will adopt it as his main computer, write drivers for it and install gentoo.

Not sure of the model, but the logo seems like it might be Siemens Nixdorf.
commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Siemens-nixdorf-logo.jpg

*enhance*

Attached: .png (2560x1707, 155K)

Windows servers are massive pain in the ass

azure is badmouthed and hated even at hn and Jow Forumsprogramming where ms shills work fulltime
but all cloud providers are a bunch of assholes so fuck them all anyway

And soon it will replaced with WSL2

They don’t even do core anymore on their MCSA exams. Like all the materials and lectures have it there but with a big disclaimer that it’s been removed from the test. It’s that bad that even they admit that it’s not worth knowing.

>Running WSL in production
God help that user

What's wrong with it?

jokes on you since WSL2 is just the Azure kernel running inside Hyper-V.

reminder that once you enable wsl2 both your main windows os and linux runs virtualized
cant even play csgo on faceit or esea because running inside a vm is a cheater paradise

But it's the future. They will virtualize win32 in order to support old applications the same way.

once you enable wsl2, once you enable Windows Defender Guard, once you enable Windows Sandbox feature, once you enable memory integrity security... you know the drill

>Is there a reason to Azure then?
The entire point of cloud hosting it to let someone else manage the infrastructure and OS. It's not OS dependent.

>cant even play csgo on faceit or esea because running inside a vm is a cheater paradise
Oh no! Things that don't matter.

it's so near to metal that you won't notice shit

but Service Packs do had features. I remember Firewall included on XP SP3.

but your brain will

My work is making me study for an MSCA Server 2016, what am i in for?