I7 2600K in 2019

>Have had i5 3570K @ 4.3Ghz since 2012
>Lack of threads is starting to bottleneck me with newer games
>Setup is still functional, but the bottleneck is only going to get worse once the new consoles come out

Should I buy a Zen 2 chip? Wait out for DDR5/Zen 3 for maximum performance jump? Or spend $100 CAD on a used ebay 2600K to help hold me over?

GPU is an RX480 Nitro+ 8GB.

I was set on Zen 2, but with the new consoles coming out next year I feel like it might not be wise to buy the latest current tech.

Attached: big_b7257fcc55e1fdf11f45a294c272fe9d8f11416e.jpg (2880x1800, 3.96M)

Other urls found in this thread:

tr.aliexpress.com/item/32995994318.html
tr.aliexpress.com/item/32963630251.html
youtube.com/watch?v=pBtT-vYeIyE
tr.aliexpress.com/item/32863779699.html
tr.aliexpress.com/item/32840300151.html
youtu.be/xYxQ82wcA_s
youtu.be/mURKRL3p74E
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Let me guess, you have Windows 10?

i have 3570k aswell and w7, dont at me nigger

Attached: 1562004384102.jpg (718x379, 103K)

SOPA

>Should I buy a Zen 2 chip? Wait out for DDR5/Zen 3 for maximum performance jump? Or spend $100 CAD on a used ebay 2600K to help hold me over?

When DDR5's time comes, memory manufacturers might be colluding again.

I still use 3770 and his older soldered brother on my big machines and yet to be bottlenecked by CPU.
I hardly ever vidiya nowadays, though.

Buy a Xeon actually, I think x5650 or similar fits your slot. You can overclock them. 6c12t 4ghz easy.

I just wish they were slightly cheaper. $50 for double the threads on an ancient dead platform would be decent, but >$100 is painful.

If only I had an X58 mobo then I could jump on the $35 6C/12T Xeon bandwagon.

Sadly Sandy/Ivybridge use LGA1155 which doesn't support any of the sleeper Xeons.

>Wait out for DDR5/Zen 3 for maximum performance jump?
If you don't mind waiting another two years, then you clearly don't need to upgrade.

sleeper xeons?

X5650 is LGA 1366, i5 3570k is LGA 1155. i7 2600k is actually better for games since it has better single core performance and has AVX, which X5650 era doesn't

2600k is good enough for any game if your resolution is 1440p or higher. You're not going to notice much difference with Zen2 if you will only be gaming.

Xeons with insanely high price-performance ratios because normies don't realize they exist.

i.e. The X5650 which is basically the poor mans Ryzen 2600

3570K @ 4.4 here and been feeling the same too OP, if you haven't already make sure to disable spectre mitigation & downgrade Windows' microcode update DLL for a little boost, it's not much but it's something, got me from ~45 FPS average back up to 60 in some games at least.

Attached: 1372545475140.jpg (500x375, 48K)

>$35 6C/12T Xeon bandwagon
The mobo for my 4960x is dying, so I plan to get a replacement for my Haswell Pentium "server" which will double as a spare part to cannibalise in case of failure.

>15fps gain
>little boost

Well I wouldn't say it's definitely gonna give you 15FPS+ for free, that's really absolute best case scenario, but it should help give some kind of improvement though

>Wait out for DDR5/Zen 3
Man, it took amd more than a year to fix ddr4 years after intel and x99 was garbage from ddr4 standpoint until broadwell-e. Don't expect fully working ddr5 at least until 2022.

DDR5 isn't going to come with Zen 3, and the initial performance jump will be marginal compared to good DDR4 RAM, just like it's been the case going from DDR3 to DDR4. You can build, use and throw away another computer until DDR5 is well established, affordable and fast.

As for the 2600K, the minor performance upgrade isn't worth the hundred bucks people are still asking for the CPU. If a 3570K bottlenecks now, a 2600K will bottleneck next year. Also are you sure the 3570K is even bottlenecking your RX 480?

Barely any games utilise AVX. According to benchmarks, you can play most games 60fps easily on a 4GHz x3450 from fucking 2009.

So these Xeons and motherboards from aliexpress.... Are they genuine stuff? Those huanzhi motherboards look sketchy as fuck...

Define
>genuine
They are China homebrews, but they actually work with a few issues which are non-issues for the 24/7 server, which is perfect in my case.

Well can I really buy a Xeon and overclock it on such a mobo? I mean fuck I can literally get a 4c8t or 6c12t system at 4ghz for $100

dude a 3570k is not going to bottleneck an RX 480

I am pretty sure 1366 ones are suspicious, as I've heard plenty older boards died from chipset overheating, which is not gone.
2011 is more promising and 1356 if you're poor like me

I personally want to buy something like
tr.aliexpress.com/item/32995994318.html
Yes, it really works.
>overclock
From what I've heard, this is indeed doable, but you need to choose carefully and you also probably need to perform the BIOS update.

That depends on resolution and graphics settings

So can't I slap some heatsinks on the chips?

It won't work that way, they already have them. You could put better thermal compound, monitor the temperature and put a fan on top, but it's not a platform that will last.
Also, most repair shops refuse to even look at chinese motherboards, so repairs will be hard to find

V2 chips cannot be overclocked.
That motherboard is said to be pretty good, a friend of mine uses one

>overclocking a xeon
get an i7. don't overclock a xeon

2011 and 1356 Xeons are a meme, they can't be overclocked like the 1366 ones at all.

There are some select Xeons that are overclockable, but they are similar in price to Ryzen chips, which offers better upgradeability so they're also pointless.

I'd wager an 8 core E5 2420 would actually perform worse in games than a 3570K @ 4.5Ghz or above.

I have a broken motherboard lying around, how do I see how to fix it? Had an i5 2400 in it and one day it just wouldn't POST. No VGA error codes.

>games
if you are over 18 consider suicide

I don't need an overclock, I need 24/7 server instead of picrelated, which is perfect for my needs.
I've heard that *some* are overclockable, for example this tandem
tr.aliexpress.com/item/32863779699.html
but frankly speaking I don't really care.

Attached: 1551119759963.png (1680x788, 810K)

What's that font? SF Mono?

>SF Mono Regular
Yep.

>I HATE FUN!!!
>STOP HAVING FUN!!!
>I'M AN ADULT!!!!

That's still a lot of dough to shell out for a 4c/8t system with questionable motherboard reliability. For not a whole lot more you can get a decent B450 board and a Ryzen 5 1600. You may pay a little more for RAM but in the you get a system with a much longer lifespan and an upgrade path.

Hell the Ryzen 7 1700 is around €150 now, which is by far the best price/performance you're going to get for a server CPU.

>That's still a lot of dough to shell out for a 4c/8t system with questionable motherboard reliability
This is why I'm not considering that one.
~130$ 8/16 CPU + MB and
tr.aliexpress.com/item/32840300151.html
roughly 150$ for 64 RAM is a decent bang for the buck.

>PLAYING GAYMES IS NOT CHILDISH

Attached: 2019-07-01-231648_344x508_scrot.png (344x508, 250K)

Getting a CPU with HT won't get you a major boost, but it would be something. Depending on how much you're willing to spend, you could consider getting a 3770K or even 2600K (though this one doesn't even have PCIe 3.0). This would be the cheapest option but you will ultimately be stuck on 4C anyway, which is starting to no longer be enough. HT won't go all that far to patching up the deficiency.

Zen 2 will be a much more significant upgrade but it will be much more expensive as well. You'll have to decide how much you want to spend and go from there. Personally I'm currently using a 4790K and will upgrade to Zen 2 (unless benchmarks show something wrong with it).

>Wait out for DDR5/Zen 3 for maximum performance jump?
This is honestly a stupid question. You either need an upgrade now or you need it in 2-3 years. Decide on which, if it's going to be in 2-3 years then you don't need an upgrade now and this discussion is pointless. DDR5 is not coming very soon and DDR5 which will be actually worth the upgrade is going to take even longer still.

Nah, it isn't. I'm getting CPU bottlenecked at 4K in Far Cry 5 (~45-50FPS in some scenes) and TWWH2 with lots of units chokes on CPU like a motherfucker, I get drops to 30FPS due to the CPU in some battles. There are definitely games out there which will CPU bottleneck even at high resolution, doubly so when only using old quad cores, especially since Sandy actually is a fair chunk behind in IPC as well.

I'd be concerned about the idling issues these boards seem to have to use as a server. But it's a viable option I suppose.

Personally I'd still go ryzen solely for the fact you could go with a 4/6 core part to start with and upgrade to a used zen 2 chip may years down the line.

>and upgrade to a used zen 2 chip may years down the line
I've heard that new ones are significantly more power hungry than most manufacturers expected.
To the point that some new mobos come with the active cooling. They are probably really future-proof, but they are too new.

Attached: 1557959895213.png (419x238, 84K)

>zen 2
nevermind, I can't read and I'm just being retarded.

>downgrading to 32nm
>*NEW 22nm doesn't matter
Lol

The chipset is cooled because it supports PCIe 4.0, not because of how much power the CPU requires. I doubt you'd have issues with a Zen 2 chip on an older board as long as you don't have something absolutely bottom of the barrel and don't OC or use PBO.

I remembered it after I've typed it out. I probably should go to sleep.
Good %timeoftheday%, user.

>Should I buy a Zen 2 chip? Wait out for DDR5/Zen 3 for maximum performance jump?
Why the fuck? What could you possibly be doing to require the best hardware money can buy?
>GPU is an RX480 Nitro+ 8GB
And what exactly do you have to complain about? Get the i7 2600(k) and get on with your life. And you'll save yourself the hassle of running Windows 10 on your machine when the hardware just demands it. And it doesn't now.

>HEY HEY PLAYING GAMES IS CHILDISH! W-WHY, YOU ASK...? DOESN'T MATTER!!!!
>TO BE ADULT YOU NEED TO SLAVE FOR JEWS

Attached: 936.png (720x720, 447K)

Rip in peace

Why would you jump back a generation for a 2600 when you can jump up a step and get a 3770k? (Which all use the same socket iirc)
I'm still rocking 3770k oc'd to 4.5ghz and am not CPU limited by any games
If my shit was feeling sluggish tho, id do amd with ddr5. (Although it wouldn't be anytime soon)

It's a better chip that's designed to be "beat up" for extended periods of time, it's actually safer to overclock.

The 2600K is soldered and overclocks better than Ivybridge.

Xbox 360 emulator requires AVX, some games that came out recently like Journey also require it. I think it will be a requirement on most games soon, it's a real shame, other than no Sata 3, nvme or USB 3 the X58 platform is still very usable today

Those X58 xeons are insane overclockers though, and a lot cheaper than an identical i7

intel fans only play far cry, and you'll hear them cry alright

>its not a platform that will last
My X58 mobo is running almost 24/7 every day since 2011 with the chipset constantly between 70 and 90°C. The max temp for it is 103, so anything below that is just fine. I recommend getting a 40mm fan to put on the heatsink though, especially if you want to overclock, it likes to go above 90°C when overclocked. Only thing that failed so far on this mobo is a couple of DIMM slots, but there's 6 left still kek

That's why you delid it

By all accounts, there's not going to be any Zen 2+ and Zen 3 is coming next year.

>Kernel: 4.9.0-8-686-pae i686 (32 bit)

Attached: why-4.jpg (580x859, 138K)

You're mentally ill.

If Zen 3 does come next year then it will still be a DDR4 platform. DDR5 isn't happening on the desktop in 2020 unless Intel release a new HEDT platform right at the end of the year. Otherwise it's 2021 all round.

>DDR5 isn't happening on the desktop in 2020 unless Intel release a new HEDT platform right at the end of the year.
No way that is ever happening with current big die shit yields, 10nm in the gutter, and no new architecture Intel. I'd expect we have DDR5 beyond Zen 3 on 2021.

It was Core2Duo with two gigs and a Debian 6 when I've first installed this system, if I remember correctly.

Just get a 3770k, OC it, 2400MHz ddr3, disable mitigations and you should be good to upgrade your gpu with minimal bottlenecking without having to move platforms.

Bro I have a i5 3470 from 2012 wtih a used GT1050Ti. I'm waiting at least 2 years before upgrading because this setup still fulfills my needs (office shit, coding, and light gaming). Fuck being early adopters.

>bro just spend all this money on a dead platform

>Lack of threads is starting to bottleneck me with newer games
>GPU is an RX480 Nitro+ 8GB.
I'm 90% sure that it's not a lack of threads. 480 won't even deliver 1080@60fps in new shit. Bottleneck meme is getting a bit out of hand really.
Just upgrade GPU first and see how it goes. Zen2 won't help you with RX480.

I am sticking with my 1155 CPU setups. The next big technology jump I feel is just around the corner in 2020. If not, then the price drop wait will be worth it.

Attached: 1560078565991.jpg (3072x2304, 576K)

The funny thing is that the most used soiboy pics are from capefaggots, not gaymers.

Amd shills only play Near Shart
... when they don't poo in the loo.

delicious tears user

From the poo straining?

Attached: 1548616655727.gif (320x240, 2.65M)

should i get a 4 core 8 thread sandy/ivy bridge xeon for gaming? sub 3ghz but turbos to well above 3ghz.

what 8 thread xeon or haswell/broadwell cpu can i get used cheap?

But C2D was also 64-bit.

These Xeons are cheap because there are virtually no motherboards for them out there, except for some weird chink shit that is a hassle to order.

Zen 3 is a year away, and the first version of ddr5 available will likely be extremely pricey.

Yes, but I had doubts about the quality of support back in the day.
Now it has bitten me in the ass since Docker only runs 64.

None of them are priced reasonably or suitable for gaming, and I'm pretty sure Xeons of those generations were only available on the lga2011 and lga2011v3 sockets. Unless you already have an x79 or x99 motherboard or got one for under $50 usd, it's a rip off.

Xeons after Westmere-EP are really locked down. Only the single socket e3s and e5s (E3-12**, E5-16**) have unlocked multipliers from Sandy bridge to Haswell, and typically bclk could not exceed 105 because there was no strap/independent fclk control until Skylake so pci-e would stop working when you went higher. They don't exceed desktop core counts anymore either.

The dual socket Xeons (E5-26**) have locked multipliers and none of them turbo past 3.7 GHz so even if you force all core turbo and 105 bclk, you're still not breaking 3.9 GHz. If you're doing something highly multithreaded like encoding ore rendering, they're still a good choice but for gaming they don't have the singlethreaded performance you'd want first and foremost.

Even 1st gen Ryzen or TR cpus are better options if you're starting with nothing.

>suitable for gaming
This is rather wide category, user.

Attached: fuckyouintcel.png (1400x641, 180K)

Attached: benchmark.png (476x415, 25K)

~20% lower ipc and clocks well below 4 GHz on anything bigger than an 8c, it's doable but 1% lows are bad and overall value isn't very good when you can get a cheap b450 or x370 board and any generation of ryzen cpu to meet your needs.
youtu.be/xYxQ82wcA_s
youtu.be/mURKRL3p74E

If you could get an 8c e5-1680 for under $200 it's going to be marginally better than an old r7 but the motherboard and memory won't save you any money and you'll have no further upgrade path.

They suck donkey dick:

tldr: Shit memory support, shit PCI-E lanes, shit USB speeds depending on board, BIOS from 2004, no overclocking/underclocking what so ever.

>145/96 = 133.8%

Attached: wat-6.png (963x720, 602K)