/obsd/ - OpenBSD General

OpenBSD is a free and open-source, security-focused, Unix-like operating system.

*Please remember that this thread is not meant to be a discussion about Linux vs OpenBSD*

FAQ:
>How do I get started?
-openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html

>What are the available graphics drivers?
-amdgpu(4): AMD Radeon GPUs using the amdgpu kernel driver (not enabled by default yet, still Work-In-Progress)
-intel(4): Intel integrated graphics chipsets
-radeon(4): ATI/AMD Radeon video driver
-efifb(4): EFI frame buffer
-vesa(4): Generic VESA video driver

>What are the available wireless drivers?
-man.openbsd.org/?query=wireless&apropos=1

>How do I set up Full-Disk Encryption?
-openbsd.org/faq/faq14.html#softraidFDE

>Why OpenBSD?
-sivers.org/openbsd
-over-yonder.net/~fullermd/rants/bsd4linux/01 (discusses *BSD in general)
-why-openbsd.rocks/ (shows up a random fact about OpenBSD whenever you load it)
-openbsd.org/innovations.html
-en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenBSD_security_features

>Should I use -release or -current?
-If you're using it in your home machine, then -current is most likely what you're looking for since it contains updated packages.

>How do I follow -current?
-openbsd.org/faq/current.html

>How do I upgrade -current to the latest snapshot?
-Just run sysupgrade(8) as root.

>How do I get help?
-OpenBSD man pages
-OpenBSD mailing lists: openbsd.org/mail.html
-daemonforums: daemonforums.org/
-OpenBSD FAQ: openbsd.org/faq/

>Book recommendations:
-Absolute OpenBSD (2nd edition)
-The Book of PF (3rd edition)

>Miscellaneous:

-c0ffee.net/blog/openbsd-on-a-laptop/ (tips for a laptop installation, contains some useful information)
-openbsd.org/lyrics.html (OpenBSD's songs)
-cdn.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/packages/amd64/ (list of available packages)

Feel free to ask questions and discuss topics that are related to OpenBSD.

Attached: J4dl4cT.jpg (1920x1200, 104K)

Other urls found in this thread:

9p.io/sys/doc/auth.html
flak.tedunangst.com/post/reop
research.kudelskisecurity.com/2017/04/25/should-ecdh-keys-be-validated/,
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll
knowyourmeme.com/memes/cultures/trolling
psycnet.apa.org/record/1985-27678-001
man.openbsd.org/adduser.8
openbsd-archive.7691.n7.nabble.com/Raspberry-Pi-support-in-6-4-td359057.html
openbsd.org/arm64.html
github.com/jasperla/openbsd-rockpro64
forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=109
cnx-software.com/2018/07/13/rockpro64-dual-sata-nas-enclosure/
youtube.com/watch?v=djU4Lq_5EaM
medium.com/swlh/when-software-kills-ab6f48a15825
mrsatterly.com/openbsd_games.html
wiki.openssl.org/index.php/GCM
wiki.openssl.org/index.php/Command_Line_Utilities
man.openbsd.org/man3/EVP_aes_128_cbc.3
blog.cryptographyengineering.com/2012/05/19/how-to-choose-authenticated-encryption/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Why isn't the OpenBSD project more inclusive of LGBTQ+? This OS is becoming a gravitational center for racism and homophobia in the tech community. What are we doing to change that? How is pic related considered normal?

Attached: 8e57ee8097d3ad87fba5a706d6722766ac5de8af0375c7744af534590e82038c.jpg (800x450, 52K)

You need go back to fucking faggot degenerate tranny piece of shit!

Hey dudes, how do I make the blinkenlights of my Memepad work? They stay on all the time now.

I would like to:

>turn the bluetooth light off perpetually (since no bluetooth support)
>turn the network light on when I have Wi-Fi enabled, and off when I don't.

How does one do this in OpenBSD?

Attached: 3558662_0.jpg (1200x630, 68K)

Alright Jow Forums, some is trying to kill gpg (again). If you use gpg to encrypt files, do you think OpenBSD signify(1) could eventually replace OpenPGP?

Attached: RIP_GNUPG.png (1009x895, 220K)

>replying to b8
You have to go back.

>Why isn't the OpenBSD project more inclusive of LGBTQ+?
Why should it be? It's an operating system development team, not a June Parade club
>What are we doing to change that?
Who the fuck is "we"?
>How is pic related considered normal?
Dunno, that was made by a holocaust museum, ask them. Dafuq does it even have to do with operating systems, let alone OBSD in particular?
>last but not least
gtfo fag, deviancy doesn't make you special

I'll just keep this here
9p.io/sys/doc/auth.html

New to BSDs. Been rolling FreeBSD the pats couple of weeks. Can anyone tell me why one would choose Open over Free?

signify doesn't do encryption, just signing
you can get simple encryption scheme from libsodium or similar API, but it does not have stable algorithm choices. tedu did some experiments with it, see flak.tedunangst.com/post/reop
signify uses surprisingly small keys. what kind of mad man would opt for 128 bit keys when 256 bits is the recommendation?
see research.kudelskisecurity.com/2017/04/25/should-ecdh-keys-be-validated/, I'm not quite sure if signify does some checks to avoid those broken keys
the commandline API is a fucking inconsistent mess. the same flag is sometimes input, sometimes output. you have to input paths for files that don't exist before or after the command runs and shits like that
the gzip behavior is a fucking mess

>why one would choose Open over Free?
The more honest answer would be to try both. Personally, I roll new services as Open except for fileservers, who get FreeBSD or FreeNAS.

FreeBSD is more performance-oriented and, while ported to many architectures, their focus is on x86-x64.

OpenBSD is security-oriented, and their developers value portability.

I prefer OpenBSD for a multitude of reasons but find myself using FreeBSD simply because I need the software and hardware support it offers and I'm willing to compromise.

if you behave like a sane human and contribute good things and not meaningless bullshits like CoCs, i'm sure the OpenBaSeD team would accept you no matter how you identify or what you like.

and you to , thanks.

if you value security, good code practices and focus on things that matter, at this moment Open is the choice. Free have choose a path that lead to misery.

>power failure
>filesystem corrupt

g-great os you have there theo

>sensitive data
>not using sysutils/apcupsd and respective hardware requirements
It's not Theo's fault if you're literally retarded

I live in India, power goes out sometimes. When will Theo do the needful and insert a better filesystem that is resistant to our Indian brownouts?

It has a gay filesystem so I'm using HardenedBSD until they implement HAMMER2 or something

lolis

Just buy a diesel engine

I'm in the market, right now, for an OS to go on my older laptop. It will be used almost exclusively for writing LISP.

Sell me on OpenBSD and I will sing your praises from the rooftops if I like it.

Just try it

>deviancy doesn't make you special
I second all the points made by this user, especially this. That is why the high suicide rates among lgbt people, they find it very difficult to swallow that they aren't special, at the end just normal human beings with some slight deviation.

The problem with this mindset is that we're like, totally liberal and it's fine if trannies seize a considerable amount of power in our organization as long as they're "based" trannies, and now you have no power to prevent them from CoC'ing your project, which they always will.

Even as a radical I am not saying we should be hunting trannies down and purging them from the repos, but the gay agenda is on the attack everywhere we look. If there is no major resistance and everyone just says "whatever", they are clearly going to win, as they are in real life.

Backups. Although I have had power go out a dozen times and FFS has never shit out on me.

Normally i'd tell you to fuck off but i'm in a good mood and i've some time to burn. I'll pop it on my laptop and get it configured.
Then i'll be back.

I would love to switch to openbsd, but I'm a little worried I can't run some programs on it, specifically android studio (yeah, I could use vim, as I do for c and python, but google added specific functions without which android dev is a pain in the ass). Is running my non-bsd apps in a vm a realistic solution?

Theo de raadt hacks your router and remotely remaps your keyboard, what do you do?

thank him for making my computer more secure, since i can no longer do anything with it

Friendly reminder:
For those who are unfamiliar with the concept of "trolling" and are replying to the so-called "trolls", these links might help:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll
knowyourmeme.com/memes/cultures/trolling
Interesting parts:
>11.All your carefully picked arguments can easily be ignored.
>12.Anything you say can and will be used against you.
>13.Anything you say can be turned into something else – fixed.
>14.Do not argue with trolls – it means that they win.
>15.The harder you try the harder you will fail.

>Some psychologists have suggested that flaming would be caused by de-individuation, or decreased self-evaluation. Source:
The American Psychological Association ("Social psychological aspects of computer-mediated communication")
psycnet.apa.org/record/1985-27678-001

_Just report and move on_

There's a section called "Why OpenBSD" in the OP, read it.

Good luck with that Intel Management Engine backdoor overrides lol

I want to dual boot FreeBSD with OpenBSD, I already have OpenBSD installed. What do?

Install FreeBSD on another partition

How do I handle the bootloader stuff?

Forgive me for I am retarded but I must ask for some help.

I have installed OpenBSD, I used a USB drive the install went well. The default selections for the installation process were ideal and it all went well.
The system has now rebooted and I am at a login prompt.
I did not set a login, only a root password.
So what do I enter for "login :"?

I realise this is probably laughably stupid to you all but I am attempting to learn, please assist me if you could.

I'm not sure what the best bootloader that supports both would be.

If you have separate drives in your computer, like two SSDs one for each OS, you could just use your BIOS to select which one to boot. Not as fancy as a bootloader, but works. It's how I boot Wangblows on my desktop (by default it just boots to Linux)

Did you create a user during installation? If you did, enter the name of the user at the prompt, then press enter and type its password.

I did not, which was extremely foolish of me.
I realised that the login was therefore "root".
Don't worry, i'll redo the entire install, paying more attention this time, not like it takes long!

No need to reinstall, just create a user by entering to the root account and using the adduser tool. Here's the manual for it:
man.openbsd.org/adduser.8

For the login, just type 'root', and enter the password. Root is a real username on any UNIX-like.

Then, do user add -m adolf && passwd adolf to create your own username and set its password.

I'll try that, thanks.

Fuck off
And you to

Hi anons! Linux user here (void), Interested in switching to OpenBSD when I have some free time. Just one question, do you have any experience in running OpenBSD on SBC's? Reading the documentation on this, It seems that Rockchip-based PINE64 boards (pic) are well supported.
Also, there are some experiences whit low-cost SBC's like the RPi Zero?

This is so far what I found:
openbsd-archive.7691.n7.nabble.com/Raspberry-Pi-support-in-6-4-td359057.html
openbsd.org/arm64.html
github.com/jasperla/openbsd-rockpro64
forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=109

The idea of a low consumption secure torrent seedbox and/or a low consumption NAS running OpenBSD is what brought me here.
The ROCKPro64 seems like the perfect candidate for this:
cnx-software.com/2018/07/13/rockpro64-dual-sata-nas-enclosure/

>inb4 muh bad filesystem
automatic backups are on the menu

Attached: RPro64_high_res.jpg (1500x1125, 441K)

Maybe you have to manage better your priorities, like installing a toilet before barely think on using a computer nor installing OpenBSD on it...

Attached: pooinloo.jpg (1121x755, 86K)

>automatic backups on the menu
Make sure to enable soft updates as well so you can get better performance.

Tbh no matter how good your file system is, you're always risking with your data if power goes out while you're using your computer. I recommend getting a UPS so that you can have a few minutes to turn off your computer.

Please leave racism away from this general, this general is known to have a friendly theme and I'd like it if it stays that way.

Reminder that this is a "Security-focused OS" where:
>packages from the main repository do not receive updates or patches to vulnerabilities
>if you want to patch vulnerabilities, you need to build that package from the ports tree
>but they don't recommend this because "it's not safe"
furthermore:
>apparently doesn't realize integrity is a fundamental security concept
>still uses BSD Fast File System.

>Does not have mandatory access controls.
>Here's your rwx, bro!

Bad hygiene habits have nothing to do with race. That was just shitpost and I'll leave it there, but stop being a bitch, this isn't reddit.

Troll of opposite truth strikes again!

This! Computing is for everyone including Indians, Latinos, and other People of Color. Indians have a very strong presence in technology. Also for LGBTQ+ folks as well who are behind many significant advances in operating systems, bootloaders, and programming languages. This is our goal in Free software.

>OpenBSD exists
>Linux soiboi status: seething
Maeks one :thonk: deepily

Attempting to troll OpenBSD generals is probably their only remaining form of communication with other humans.

>LOOK AT ME! I'M USING THEIR MEME ABOUT US AGAINST THEM, TO GET SOME (YOU)'S!
Thread theme song:
youtube.com/watch?v=djU4Lq_5EaM

FFS is finished software. It works well enough. HAMMER2 is on the way and it will take a while to get it right. That's okay, because we're not trying to shovel out shitware as fast as possible to please Jewish corporations like Linux is.

Read about pledge(2) and unveil(2). In combination with OBSD's new virtualization technology, this is genuinely superior to muh jails and muh capsicum.

Go dilate.

Don't respond to him, he's a troll that made the exact post 2 days ago ().

Please maintain high posting quality in /obsd/.

I am latino, and I ask you:
you praise quantity over quality?;
you praise "everyone can code" also?;
Quoting Theo: "Why are you guys so fork paranoid? Do you want everyone to vote for the same political party, too?"
Maybe you need to dig more, just bits.
medium.com/swlh/when-software-kills-ab6f48a15825

Computers shouldn't be for everyone, just for the ones (regardless of their race, religion or sexual orientation, obviously) truly interested on learn about computers and improve computers in order to improve human quality of life.
That's not quite what is happening today if you see the whole picture, not just the good and safe parts.

If you come here and ask when an OS developed by a small team, which is very committed to making quality software regardless of their many limitations, will implement a filesystem resistant to data corruption by frequent power failures (never done yet by any OS), you SHOULD FIRST be committed to solve your own power failures (installing solar panels, using low consumption pc's, using a diesel generator, etc), in order to have a working pc!. I know that is easier bitching in anonymous boards, but that never resolved anything before.

Sorry for my english, I'm still a dumb latino.

I forgot to add a nice portrait to my post.

Attached: nightmares.jpg (714x798, 71K)

What DE do you use on OpenBSD? Does it work well?

If you just use a WM, which one? Why not use a DE?

Attached: 40c41d0e2576f4a2dc5a000879f7c2a4e2733870d74577434752c7c1ca9d033f.jpg (1280x720, 160K)

why not use NetBSD?
seems like the best compromise between OpenBSD and FreeBSD

>What DE do you use on OpenBSD? Does it work well?
I don't use a DE.
>If you just use a WM, which one?
cwm, the one that comes with OpenBSD by default.
>Why not use a DE?
I don't need the features that they offer.

Can I play my vidya on BSD?
>Steam + GoG

A Theo's quote for the record:
" I am simply astounded at some of the things people keep repeating. I don't mean this applies to everyone, but is there a high quantity of attention deficit disorder in our user community? Or retards? Or is it just the same old trolling? OpenBSD does not incorporate non-free software."

There are very few games on OpenBSD.
If you want to game on a BSD, I'd recommend FreeBSD since it has WINE and a Linux compatibility layer, it has Nvidia drivers as well. be aware though that the gaming experience won't be as convenient as you have it on Linux because corporations like Valve don't focus on supporting *BSD.

So how's steam on BSD with the compatibility layer?

>I'd recommend FreeBSD since it has WINE and a Linux compatibility layer
NetBSD has WINE and a Linux compatibility layer as well

mrsatterly.com/openbsd_games.html

I don't know, didn't try gaming on a *BSD before.
I recommend dual booting Linux and OpenBSD, so that you can use Linux for gaming and OpenBSD for everything else.

Thanks fren

Attached: aa6.png (1000x1000, 439K)

Didn't know that, does it work well?

>I recommend dual booting Linux and OpenBSD
>so that you can use Linux for gaming and OpenBSD for everything else.
Why would anyone dualboot what's practically the same OS? Oh, wait... Because Linux is more POSIX compliant than BSD.

-->

>He has an archived link saved on his PC for later use against truthers
You seem deeply affected by this, to the point that you let it affect your life to this point.

Based. I just downloaded Chocolate Doom.

>Damage control
Why even argue with this guy? You've just fed him by showing how desperate of a cuck you are in not accepting that BSD isn't up with the greater OSes like EulerOS and Inspur K-UX.

Is there a way to remove the padding that happens when I enable line numbering (:set nu) in vi?

Sure, install vim.

I explicitly asked about vi.

right, and I responded with vi. vi improved that is.

I think even Vim does what he's describing.

Attached: out.png (484x316, 6K)

>Being retarded
Nothing's an improvement if it's not POSIX-compliant

Yes, I had this problem with vim as well.

I think the answer is no. This is all of vi's `set` variables and none of them are candidates. Vim has :set nuw=1, but I hardly see a reason for this because once you hit line number ten it bumps all of them up again.

Attached: vi.png (484x316, 13K)

Oh, thank you for spending time in investigating this.

BSDistrofags BTFO

You're explicitly retarded. Use vim.

You're explicitly butthurt for your retarded suggestion. See and go back to bookmarking archived shitposts in an effort to try and "deter" trolls.

When will they ever get a decent logo?

GPG is literally too complex for most people and is part of the reason snowden got caught.

GPG is shit and the openssl binary doesn't even support basic crypto like AES in GCM mode. Will *BSDfags ever be able to encrypt their files without calling C crypto primitives by hand?

I hate GPG too, but Snowden didn't get caught because of it, he voluntarily went public.

>openssl binary doesn't even support basic crypto like AES in GCM mode.
Hmmm, something tells that you don't even know what GCM is and how it works:
wiki.openssl.org/index.php/GCM
wiki.openssl.org/index.php/Command_Line_Utilities
man.openbsd.org/man3/EVP_aes_128_cbc.3

blog.cryptographyengineering.com/2012/05/19/how-to-choose-authenticated-encryption/
>The problem occurs when you use encryption in ***online applications***, where an an adversary can intercept, tamper with, and submit ciphertexts to the receiver. If the attacker can launch such attacks, many implementations can fail catastrophically, allowing the attacker to completely decrypt messages.

Don't pretend to be a crypto expert when you don't know shit about cryptography.

>openssl binary
>AES in GCM mode
Imagine being this retarded.

Since we're talking about cryptography, what's your favourite symmetric (and asymmetric) cryptographic algorithm?

>smugBSD

I'll start:
Symmetric: AES
Asymmetric: Curve 25519 (I used to like RSA in the past).

>samefag
Soft updates.

I just use fvwm because it’s comfy.

The Chad ECC vs the virgin RSA.