How the fuck is excel still the most massively used program in the business and tech world when it's functionally...

How the fuck is excel still the most massively used program in the business and tech world when it's functionally obsolete? Just about any task you can do in excel can be automated in R or Python? Excel can't handle nearly the same workload as most programming languages, yet it's still a defacto requirement to "know excel" for any sort of entry level position.

Attached: 1200px-Microsoft_Office_Excel_(2018–present).svg.png (1200x1200, 29K)

1. it's a jack of all trades
2. a spreadsheet can be understood and manipulated by an MBA who has never written a line of code in his life
3. it has three decades of inertia behind it

not everyone wants to learn a programming language
no programming entry level position requires you to know excel

while you waste time pondering and debating this question, i'll be over here getting tremendous amounts of shit done in excel very quickly and easily

i don't know, i like apple numbers more.

>Just about any task you can do in excel can be automated in R or Python?

Your presumption that anyone can pick up R or Python and do the same thing in excel is flawed. Business people don't know how to code. That's a fact that you better get used to if you ever plan on getting a job. Nobody gives a flying dick about your open sores shit can do the same thing just harder. so shut the fuck up and take this corporate dick up your ass, slave.

Asking that is like asking why do we have flashlights when night vision goggles exists. They're both just tools and they excel in different ways

upvoted

He's not wrong

Excel is much easier to share and is genuinely good for actual spreadsheeting. You have to be a turbo AUT not to realise this.

Plus, why not just use VBA scripts?

Yes dumbass, the average 44 year old secretary should just learn python instead of using the thing she's been working just fine with for decades.

It’s basically a Swiss Army knife for mathematics and data entry.

Attached: excel_for_scientists_and_engineers_numerical_methods.jpe.jpg (507x727, 116K)

"Spreadsheet Tools For Engineering" is also good

Because those institutions are filled with morons who don't know how to use a computer.

Attached: 1543957947568.jpg (387x437, 40K)

These in a vacuous sense answer the question in the OP. It's not that it isn't mostly obsolete, at least in the sense of having a human perform the tasks, it's just that it's become so ingrained into business cultural zeitgeist that your average boomer manager isn't going to try to rock the boat or deal with the fallout with laying off a bunch of other boomers when they're a few years from retirement anyways. I'd imagine most of those excel spreadsheet/reporting/data entry jobs won't exist though in the next 20 years or so.

Learning programming takes time and energy, and many people, especially those who are older and/or less tech savvy, might feel they don't have enough of either to learn how to program.

excel is better for granular manipulation of individual values.

python + pandas is better for when you have to modify/view data by criteria.

t. finance mba working at GS

it's easy af

>a Swiss Army knife for mathematics
ohhh no no no no

Because people are shit.

I work in windows deployment and I have dozens of cmd prompt and power shell commands. I keep them in an excel spreadsheet. I also keep the target pc names and ip addresses in a different worksheet that feeds a drop down list. A couple clicks and I’m sending commands where they need to go.

what a stupid ass fucking argument you got there chief. let me build up a 2 dimensional array import change 1 value at index 23 and re-export in rust instead of using excel point, click, change, done.

Attached: pUndMYB[1].gif (360x270, 1.82M)

yes, that was the joke you dense moron.

ignore the retard, he's never actually had a job that didn't have some element of flipping burgers or delivering pizza.

nobody wants to set up development environments, pour over documentation, string together libraries and debug programs when there's a self-contained piece of software with everything and the kitchen sink that accomplishes the same ultimate goal with minimal time investment and easier collaboration among people of all levels of tech literacy
basically what said

it's also just a waste of time in general for the kinds of one-off, small dataset projects people usually pass around excel sheets for.

How using excel to track 3 year long, multimillion dollar projects.

Oh yea and using outlook attachments and an 8TB network drive to share files across the whole organization which manages hundreds of such projects.

>fucking IDIOTS, how dare you use a GUI based ease of access spreadsheet tool instead of learning a programming language meant for large scale statistical analysis which generally over complicates the process of filling in boxes with numbers or creating sums of said boxes!!!!!!!!!

Ease of use for personal projects, maybe. It is terrible when multiple people need to work on the same sheet.

Scores of small COBOL and BASIC programs were easily and quickly replaced by a simple spreadsheet on a computer way back when.
If the data I'm editing is best handled in table format, why the fuck am I not going to just use Excel? I can just click at the cells I want to operate on, and then perform whatever math I want on them, zero effort.

See, what these people want is a spreadsheet, or really, spreadsheets that connect to an external database, but the people who primarily use Excel generally don't know enough to accomplish this.
A spreadsheet suited for a business of 10 people (where something more robust would very certainly be overkill and even get in the way) often doesn't get replaced when the business has 100 or 1000 or whatever since no one on hand knows enough to do the right thing when it's time to migrate elsewhere

Excel is fine for spreadsheets. The problem is that many retarded boomers (and nonboomers) try to use it as a CRM or a database. And you can only do so much voodoo with it. Eventually it becomes extremely unpractical.

Bait thread, or massive retard. I cant tell anymore

>but what about [contrived cherrypicked anecdote]
what about retards like you that would rather replace a 5x50 single page scratchpad spreadsheet that literally anyone in the company can collaborate on with a database and two programming languages each with their own learning curve and a few hours of time spent justifying their installation and configuration to IT for anyone outside of the development team

retards doing what retards do best is not an argument against any piece of technology, if someone wants to build their massive projects on some convoluted mass of autism and VBA then that's their problem when it crashes and burns, just like it's your problem when you get fired for doing more talking about ideals and technological purity than actually getting work done

Our budget template is a 73 page excel file. Our invoice template is a 12 page excel file. Completed invoices end up being 30-100 pages. Our invoicing system is so convoluted that we have to print out the pages just so we can work on matching the numbers up. I work for the gov, BTW, so I guess you can discard my story.

>defacto
Why can’t Anglos do Latim properly?

ease of use

because mid management administrators are still proud as fuck of their excel "certifications" that they got in 1996.

haha like anybody here knows what that is. they're more attracted to code then they are to finished software

(reddit spacing)

Jow Forumswhoosh

your company's frumpy middle-aged female secretary is not going to learn R or python, let alone spin up a database

Don't underestimate the power of shoving excel down the throat of every school student for 12 years.
It's now a standard in the business world, and organizations move slowly, to the degree where even if a change throw billions on it to stop it.
Add to that what other anons said about "code scary" and setting up an environment and it becomes too much. The effort is too great and they don't see the benefit.

then her job shouldn't even exist.

her job has nothing to do with databases or computer programming, she's a fucking secretary

when will incels figure out that not everyone lives on a computer

nobody is gonna manipulate data with python or R unless they've got a damn good reason for it

my problem with excel is that there are just too many features that 99% of people will never use, and which produce results that could be accomplished using combinations of features that people use all the time. MS should take a RISC approach and remove as many obscure and unnecessary features as possible, and encourage the use of macros to do more complicated things. a bit of DIY, but not too much

it's a microsoft product though, so the odds of any of that happening are next to nothing. most spreadsheet programs are much the same though

>he fell for the learn to code meme

oh no no no

have sex incel

Die of cancer

based

>not learning a programming language to do what you can already do elsewhere makes people "retards"
The fucking bubble this board lives in is unbelievable. It's as if your programming knowledge is the only source of validation you have in life.

It's a ubiquitous grid-format text editor.

validation from a mongolian basket weaving forum, no less. its unfathomable. i don't know why they want to look like hackers from the matrix, no one's going to see their screens outside of desktop threads anyway, plus they're fat, gross and their rooms look disgusting soooooooo

its some kind of computer asceticism is what it is. you could also call it autism

Newfag