IRC

Does anyone use this? Or is it dead like Usenet for actual discussion? It's open and distributed and also like Usenet seems to have died in the face of proprietary alternatives.

Attached: weechat-irc.png (1351x663, 344K)

It's dead. Stay away from it. Ignore all IRC posts. There be dragons.

Go back to discord, tranny. Leave our IRC servers alone

yep. nothing to see there, go away

GL finding a server that is interesting and is not already full of gatekeepers.

Obsolete. Use Matrix.

its alive and still will be long after discord (or whatever the TrendyChatAppOfTheYear is now) dies

huge chunk of OSS community is on freenode, there are shitton 4chins related channels on rizon and there are pretty cool junkies on tripsit.me

i personally don't use any social media or communication platform other than couple of chins for obvious and some personal reasons.

my issues with irc are:
>1. i don't know a decent way to find decent communities where i'll fit when it comes to my interests at the same level.
>2. i don't know about cloaks, vhosts and bouncers and a fast search didn't bring results like "this is how you do it and then you can hide your ip/hostname". all irc servers like rizon, freenode etc. have different qualifications and methods for getting a cloak. about vhosts and bouncers, all the stuff i could find with a non-in-depth search was really old software and forum posts. i'd do a proper research but then the problem with finding active and decent communities still stands so that kills my motivation.

i'll be genuinely thankful if any user can point me to the right direction regarding these questions, until then, irc for me is a thing where i use my boomer irssi config to ask and answer questions at support channels of distributions.

Attached: yldijlxk5a021.jpg (538x624, 120K)

Yeah freenode looked like the only place for technical discussion, everything else looked like weird sex chat or drug stuff.

I still use it and fairly active on the Rizon network.

I personally still use it but everyone is moving to discord. a community I've supported for years just had me set up an irc discord bridge bot for them to start the transition.
It's happening fast. irc is dying.

The people that idle on efnet and freenet are the ones that missed the boat during it's peak in the mid 90s to early 00's and are just hanging out hoping for a glimmer of what used to be elite and available to a mass audience. Everyone has splintered off to private IRC servers that are not a part of these networks.

Online chat is dead for the mainstream and a waste of time now that Google search exists.

If you need a friend then get a dog.

nah, it's just your tranny support group that's dying

Attached: 62a.jpg (500x392, 32K)

I was active on IRC from '96 to '99 or so. So no reason for me to get back into it then I guess? What about freenode?

Attached: gn38vv4t9hw11.jpg (1242x863, 147K)

Used it a lot, but then every single online community that used it moved to discord so I had to make the switch to that. The only thing I do on irc now is idle on old freenode channels and occasionally talk to like 3 people that used to be part of my university's linux group.

Isn't IRC where these fabled "scene" people /ptg/ creams over reside?

Attached: download.png (225x225, 6K)

Discord replaced IRC by being better in pretty much every way.
Shame about the centralized servers, shitty web based UI, and gross privacy violations though.

Attached: 1561874568340.gif (2267x1903, 395K)

but the centralized servers, UI, and privacy violations are discord.

what's left after you get rid of that? IRC.

so you just said discord isn't any better

it's unironically dead

>what's left after you get rid of that? IRC.
IRC can't natively embed, upload files (that embed in the chat), host emoticons for everyone to use and see in chat, embed videos, integrate voice chat, allow for channel organization, avatars, server side logging, video chat, and lots of other features.
IRC simply cannot do these as a protocol. You can go "WELL WELL THERE ARE PLUGINS AND CLIENTS" but most people will never use those, especially now that an integrated solution such as discord exists.

>IRC can't natively embed
knowing the kind of people who use irc this is probably a good thing
>upload files
yes, it can
>host emoticons for everyone to use and see in chat
cancer
>embed videos
this is the same as your first point
>integrate voice chat
use a voice chat program
>allow for channel organization
do you even know what you're talking about?
>avatars
see the first point
>server side logging
this is the only real downside and i wish the ircv3 monkeys would stop circlejerking over avatar protocol extensions and standardize a chathistory protocol that is usable

>can't natively embed, upload files (that embed in the chat), host emoticons for everyone to use and see in chat, embed videos, integrate voice chat, allow for channel organization, avatars, server side logging, video chat,
it's a feature, retard

>knowing the kind of people who use irc this is probably a good thing
>this is the same as your first point (videos)
>see the first point (avatars)
If trannies and zoomers on discord can behave, boomers on IRC can too.

>yes, it can
No it can't. You need a protocol such as XDCC that runs on IRC. You can't drag and drop an audio file/image/video/etc. and upload it into the room.

>cancer (emotes)
>use a voice chat program
IRC can't do it.

>do you even know what you're talking about?
Yes, when you connect to an IRC server you either get a shit show full of dead channels with messy topics, or you get a list of rooms with clear topics. You do not get hierarchies of channels like you do on discord. Pic related. You cannot do this with IRC.

>this is the only real downside and i wish the ircv3 monkeys would stop circlejerking over avatar protocol extensions and standardize a chathistory protocol that is usable
IRC is dead. v3 won't fix this. We can only hope something replaces discord like discord replaced Steam and IRC.

(You)
Forgot my pic related.
I must be fucking retarded because I forgot the pic related AGAIN.
It's worth noting when you join a discord """""server""""" everyone sees the same channels. Channels are only created and removed by the admins. The """server""" is a hub for a single community people.
On IRC servers tend to host multiple communities of people, with each community congregating in a single chat room. Maybe at most you have a "normal" room and a NSFW off-shoot, but even that hardly happens.

Attached: selection.png (470x1678, 150K)

Lmfao, go read the rfc idiot. Channels are deleted when they are empty.

It's still going, but i can see something else taking over, the functionality of discord with the open source, distributed user owned model.

I hear Matrix and Mammoth being banded around as alternatives?

I've used IRC since the 90s. My last usage of IRC was for EVE-Online. To coordinate shit we used IRC, but when I found myself making a sub-group within this organization in 2015 I couldn't justify using IRC and Mumble. The moment you start dicking around with Discord you instantly know it's superior to the IRC/Mumble duo. Had some brianiac managed to merge Mumble and IRC together into a single FOSS server/client with easy deployment I'd probably have used that. But as it stands, Discord is better. The creation of channels, the uploading of content and ease of voice communication is far easier than Mumble and IRC. The only thing keeping IRC alive at this point is the Freenode tech scene and I feel like this dam could burst in favor of some new hellish software solution like Telegram.

There will always be some grognards using IRC, afterall there is people still using oldschool 80s BBS and posting on Newgroups. But the glory days are over and trying to pretend the community is in anything but a death spiral is cult tier coping.

Clueless zoomer here, I guess you should use tor or another kind of proxy or VPN to interact with anonymity on public channels, or just chat with your personal friends.

nope, irc is DEAD

Attached: file.png (136x24, 511)

it is comfy, but there no good channels

Sadly Riot's Matrix implementation doesn't even come close to Discord.

No. Use Signal.
No, Line is better.
Go with Riot.
Riot sucks, use Mumble.
Fuck this shit, I'll just stick with IRC, it works and I don't have to jump apps every 6 months.

>you should use tor or another kind of proxy or VPN
most networks i know disable tor and free vpn.
>or just chat with your personal friends.
i sadly don't have close or "just friends" friends.

>Lmfao, go read the rfc idiot. Channels are deleted when they are empty.
Just because a channel has people idling it doesn't mean it's alive.

IRC is for text chats, mumble is for voip. They're both great respectively.
BTW private trackers have good IRC channels

What the fuck, how do you know all the items of my childhood?

as in the IRC server won't allow TOR or VPNs connections?

I usually info live IRCs when related to some site or community. That is, the community exists and is also maintaining and IRC server.

get on tor or a know vpn and join freenode, it won't allow you to connect to prevent "ban evasion".

Nope.

Try finding an active cracking group anywhere else

>THE Jow Forums technology board average user

pls Hiro just rename this shit to /b/

or ban all the american ranges