Install openSUSE Tumbleweed

>The Tumbleweed distribution is a pure rolling release version of openSUSE containing the latest stable versions of all software instead of relying on rigid periodic release cycles. The project does this for users that want the newest stable software.
>Tumbleweed is based on Factory, openSUSE's main development codebase. Tumbleweed is updated once Factory's bleeding edge software has been integrated, stabilized and tested. Tumbleweed contains the latest stable applications and is ready and reliable for daily use.
>This idea has been discussed in mailing lists for a long time and was conceived into action by Greg Kroah-Hartman, originally as an 'add-on' set of rolling updates which could be layered on top of a regular openSUSE release. On November 4th 2014 the Tumbleweed rolling release and Factory rolling release merged, leaving the single openSUSE Tumbleweed rolling release we have today
>en.opensuse.org/Portal:Tumbleweed

Attached: opensuse.png (666x666, 33K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RbP9lNvmWKk
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Snapper#Automatic_timeline_snapshots
en.opensuse.org/SDB:Zypper_usage
old.reddit.com/r/openSUSE/comments/c7zm17/debian_user_seriously_thinking_of_jumping_to/
review.tumbleweed.boombatower.com/
software.opensuse.org
download.opensuse.org/tumbleweed/iso/openSUSE-Tumbleweed-NET-x86_64-Current.iso
lwn.net/Articles/761004/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

what's the difference between opensuse and gecko linux?

based
openSUSE is the peak Linux experience

youtube.com/watch?v=RbP9lNvmWKk

Attached: ebinresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 98K)

Unironically the best distro

I'm home :-)

Attached: Screenshot_20190701_160043-1.png (714x378, 287K)

not using the one and only Fedora, aka working man's distro

I like this guy and the video is nice but it's a little old, you can now update using only zypper dup with screen tmux or tty* (don't ever use a GUI for that, read the wiki and guides) and most of the btrfs headaches have been dealt with. If you still don't like how it works you can tweak the snapshot settings wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Snapper#Automatic_timeline_snapshots or go full ext4 (you won't be able to use snapshots tho). Personally I run btrfs / and ext4 /home.
Their documentation is excellent e.g. en.opensuse.org/SDB:Zypper_usage
And go with KDE.

Fedora, gentoo, arch and tumbleweed are all excellent choices. Go /back/ with your tribalism.

based Elstan McFrolicker

What's the difference between this and Leap? in terms of stability of course

i'm currently running Arch linux (have been using this for a month) and the moment i notice high breakage i'm switching to a more stable distro. i was thinking about Debian but openSUSE sounds nice

unironically their subreddit is very good because a lot of developers are there
old.reddit.com/r/openSUSE/comments/c7zm17/debian_user_seriously_thinking_of_jumping_to/

>Debian in the last couple years has been more preoccupied with political agendas and creating an echo chamber than fixing programs with bugs reported years ago. For me, IT was always a good place for diversity and whatnot, but some people and having power got into Debian and are forcing people to have their mentality. I use a computer to work and other things and not having to deal with why am I not pro active at something that honestly not only I don't care I also think it's non existent where I live. So went to look for a linux distro that is about... the system and the system only.
i-is that true

Attached: 75256242.jpg (800x486, 71K)

but what are you trying to say user? /comfy/ or that knees are bloat?

tried Tumbleweed
but the lack of an AUR was inconvenient.

don't get all philosophical on me

Yes. Not the user you replied to, but I’m not an very political person at all and I believe in using the right tool for the job no matter what the developers believe. However, the debian foundation spends far too much time worrying about what their developers are saying and diversity rather than making a good distro. Debian squeeze was one of the best releases ever, so much that NASA uses it I believe. But recently the technical decisions they make are just bad. There were developers who left because bug fixes would not be merged for years on end, and apparently debian’s packaging is more cumbersome than fedora’s or arch’s. Also, I wish debian could have more smoothly transitioned from sysv it to systemd. You would think the transition was complete by Buster, but no, there is STILL a compatibility shim needed. They’re also doing a usr merge now and god knows how long that will take.

Personally, I’ve moved to fedora. It has package hardening by default, a MAC, and vanilla packages. The boot times are atrocious, but it’s a stable secure system.

I did last night but I'm still trying to decide on DE. Is KDE the go-to?

Plasma (what KDE is called these days) is a fucking mess of buggy bullshit, which is sad because it seemed to actually be improving -- it feels very fast and responsive and isn't nearly as huge of a hog as fucking Gnome is, and it is feature-rich. Sadly, so many things are fucking buggy as all hell, making the entire thing frustrating at best and unusable at worst.
Use XFCE4 or LXQt.

you shouldn't use the aur anyway

what packages were missing from tumbleweed that made you look at the aur? I don't use a lot of packages but even latest sway and rofi were there in the main repositories
they have that openbuildservice that builds even for arch but maybe somebody else can talk more about that

xfce4 looks nice. is there official/community way I can make it tiling? running i3 as the wm seems a bit hacky

not him but when I used arch it was nice and easy to get bitwarden, megasync and protonmail bridge via the AUR

nvm I just saw that you can tile with keybinds

how do I know when it's 'safer' to upgrade? I'm not worried just want to avoid the hassle of reverting a snapshot
this last update review.tumbleweed.boombatower.com/ shows 20 bugs so should I wait for the next one?

I'm curious about openSUSE, but I can't find any real documentation on how Yast's package management works. All of the official docs are just "click the checkbox to install things", which really doesn't help much.

good post
i too feel like debian has declined in quality recently

what do you need to know? for conflicts it uses the same libs as fedora. the gui looks like muon synaptic etc but you should just use zypper desu. it's very powerful. there's also software.opensuse.org

FIX
THE
GODDAM
FUCKING
DISCOVER

Besides that crap that discover are, TW is a good distro.

>install tumbleweed
>no cute ascii geeko
:(

Its a chameleon

>Use XFCE4 or LXQt.
does kdeconnect werk with xfce?
is 5/5 software that one mang

>what do you need to know?
I'm used to using aptittude. How do I go about controlling which packages are manually installed, etc?

and his name is geeko

It's still called KDE.

Also I've had no issues with it. Been using 5.x for over a year now and it's been solid.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you guys are referring to as KDE, is in fact, Plasma, or as I've recently taken to calling it, KDE Plasma. KDE is not a desktop environment but rather an international free software community that develops Free and Open Source based software. Many computer users run a version of Plasma every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of Plasma which is widely used today is often called “KDE”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the Plasma desktop environment, developed by the KDE community.

"KDE is buggy" is a meme. It initially was really fucking shitting (every third-fourth click let something crash), but that's over. It's an amazing DE.

I have no fucking idea what they're doing in their repos but I'm sick of updating 200 packages at once every fucking time. I went back to Arch.

You're mentally deficient.

>mentally deficient
Six syllables, 18 characters
>stupid
Two syllables, 6 characters

I wish I could install packages from CRAN on linux as easily as on windows.

I wouldn't mind if they weren't so slow

Good distro. Their firefox build doesn't suffer from auto-suspend tabs after 2 minutes of inactivity.

Based interject poster.

Archtards suffer from baby duck syndrome.

I'd like to move to Tumbleweed from Arch, but I'm afraid I'll miss AUR and eventually come back. I use some AUR packages like intel-hybrid-codec-driver 2.0.0.r169.edead0c-2 (since my Haswell CPU won't decode WebM without it) and thinkfan.
What's your experience? Would you say you had problems with the number of packages available?

Don't do it my man. They say they have the OBS, but it's really fucking garbage. Package management sucks dick compared to Arch.

>but it's really fucking garbage
same could be said about your mom

Okay, distrohopping is a meme anyway

Stop breaking it then.

breaking what? arch? i said it never broke on me but i still fear the pacman rumors so i can't be sure

Stop shilling this shit

with a gui I don't know, I only use the gui to check the package cache because its easier
zypper remove --clean-deps $PACKAGE when I want to really clean all the dependencies
zypper addlock $PACKAGE enforces that the package will never get installed again
zypper dup for updating, don't use other commands or the gui and always do it inside: screen, tmux OR another tty
based arch donkey, check the image and maybe try to understand why you always use dist-upgrade (dup) when using tumbleweed
honestly I don't understand how anybody can use the aur to install so much random crap and botnet shit. i purposely molded my workflow over the years to never be a slave of self compiling so try to stick to whats in the main repos across the most popular distro. worst case scenario I make my own flatpak and have full control of whats being compiled
behavior which leads to this kind of braindead mentality, its like they want to be hostages of their software

Attached: Factory_workflow_2014.png (601x345, 56K)

If I draw a cute mascot will the project officially accept it?

Attached: NT32.jpg (2736x1824, 309K)

zey are a little weird with maskots

Attached: r.png (2000x2000, 173K)

Install tumbleweed,
enable disk encryption at install
grub does not work
install mint
enable disk encryption at install
just works

Attached: 1553523829309.jpg (1600x1200, 232K)

>mint

Attached: 11111.jpg (970x1200, 102K)

>gecko linux
ded

well it does not shit the bed like tumbleturd did

>neofetch --ascii_distro opensuse

t.archfag false flag

go ahead, you can do it in a vm download.opensuse.org/tumbleweed/iso/openSUSE-Tumbleweed-NET-x86_64-Current.iso
if you enable encryption
on boot you will be asked for it and then dumped into empty grub prompt

protip: TLP is installed by default if "laptop" is selected under software on install. You do have to manually enable tlp and tlp-sleep services using systemctl, though.

Been testing and using tumbleweed as I'd normally use a laptop for the past 5 days and it's been well, the snapshot releases thing is brilliant. Not much to complain about. It's either this or Pop OS; haven't tested that one yet.

I've been using the gnome desktop, is there a minimal KDE install option? Like if I only want a basic KDE desktop, and no other unnecessary apps? I assume the install is through the 'KDE Plasma 5 Desktop Base' option under yast software management, but since it autoticks all packages, can I choose to not install 'baloo' or 'kdewallet'?

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-07-03 02-22-04.png (818x662, 138K)

i prefer its father.

Attached: 2019-07-02-215024.png (1440x900, 567K)

2023 packages WTF, BLOAT

lwn.net/Articles/761004/
Why hasn't he murdock'd himself yet?

even if he stops maintaining it himself there are still loads of people willing to support it which aren't cucked like udindu or sjdebian.
the only chad distro left

Not him but I just tested and it worked. I'm not accusing you of lying because vms are a terrible way to test distros. Even Ubuntu and Fedora (desktop version) breaks there all the time and they are way more popular.

Attached: mogrify.png (1091x721, 102K)

maybe. draw one anyway - i need a new wallpaper
go home archtard

Gecko Linux installed the non-free stuff required for average use by default. You need to run a command to have it in Opensuse. Plus it has some more DEs.

can I use touchpad gestures on openSUSE? It doesn't work on Ubuntu and I would like to customize it a bit to switch browser tab.

I said the first one works, the second stage drops the ball

nah. I prefer mageia. just make sure to use the classic installer to remove all the preinstalled bloat

Attached: mageia.jpg (474x674, 14K)

Everything worked, I tested both xfce and kde desktops. I don't care if you believe me or not.

it worked for me and I had a more complex set up with multiple drives in my lvm

just ignore it, its the same retards that made opensuse implement https for delivering signed isos just to stop hearing fud every single time
not all of them are dumb, there must be at least a couple that spread fud on purpose
and of course the regular arch/manjaro GAMERS that shit on every single distro thread
arch is a good distro but some of their users are insufferable, they don't even know how much overlap there is between distros and maintainers

2 days ago on real hardware I did 3 different lvm/no-lvm/brtfs/ext4 installs and it dropped me on empty grub prompt after 1st password

ok then we all believe you, sometimes any distro can break in random ways depending on your hardware or if you made a very non trivial setup that nobody tested before, this is after all a rolling release distro
now go make a thread for arch and stop derailing

checking the encryption box is not non-trivial
in 2019 full disk crypto should be an opt out affair

best distro