3 hours to build firefox package on arch linux

3 hours to build firefox package on arch linux
any idea why took so long? I mean I thought compiling would take 3~5 minutes at best
how come? I thought pacman was like apt-get

Attached: Pamac.jpg (1024x561, 53K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/67.0.4/linux-x86_64/en-US/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

There are so many things wrong with what you just said.

you're mixing up compiling and downloading binaries (Already compiled programs).
pretty surprised you managed to even install arch.

>this unfettered autism
nigga just download a binary like nigga why are you being this fucking serious about a browser

took me 2 days reading stuff to install arch but i'm surprised about the AUR.
I actually don't know the difference between a binary (like .deb or .rpm) and compiling from yay/pacman

>not using distcc and AWS free tier
never gonna make it

compiling -> take source code and turn it into a program
binary -> a program you can just download and run
also there's literally no reason to compile firefox yourself unless you know what custom shit you want, so why the fuck did you get it from the AUR?

A binary is a compiled program. Think of it like a cake.
You can probably go the store and buy a cake far faster than you can yourself. To bake a cake you need to follow the recipe to make it. That recipe and baking process is compiling. You can make the same exact cake if you follow the same process as the original bakers.
.deb and .rpm files are installers specific to certain package managers. You can't run them directly, but the binary is located inside.

You can't just install the binary, you know.

bruh it's literally pacman -S firefox
then enter Y when it asks for more input, nigga it's easy

this nigga

he uses AUR for everything
kek

How does learning how to install and work with Arch and for that matter linux/bash in general help me become more hireable?

I don't use AUR I was just curious to see how is installing software outside
Tried to mess with PKGBUILD

thanks

>any idea why took so long?
your computer's shit

>all those retards breaking their necks explaining to a bait post with a pic from reddit

Attached: 1552076958665.jpg (125x120, 2K)

it's not bait. Pic is not a screenshot obviously but it did take 3 hours to build firefox

ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/67.0.4/linux-x86_64/en-US/
from 1 to 10 how stupid do you feel

0 because I had no idea there was two files (one bin and the other a huge file to compile)
Firefox bin is the binary but I thought the source file was something like makepkg which would take 3 minutes at best

I don't know the difference between the yay/pacman command which took 3 hours to build and this firefox-67.0.4.tar.bz2 which looks like is already compiled
I thought all tarballs were for compile

>these are the people complaining archlinux broke

I want to get into Arch, have never used before, and as if I wasn't intimidated enough, the fact that you're saying it took 3 hours to configure Firefox terrifies the hell out of me

I'm sure this terror is unfounded and there's probably a reason it took you that long, especially considering what said, but it doesn't make me any more confident in my ability to get started with Arch.

if you use firefox youre a retard, use icecat

it took 3 hours because it's a huge program probably written in a language that takes a long ass time to compile

if you hate this check out gentoo

Don't get me wrong I'm still gonna do it

Honestly, it'll probably take me longer than OP just to get it installed, much less configure it

dont install from aur unless you have to...
aur packages are almost like downloading random stuff from the internet, meaning theres a possible security risk, it might not work, it might fuck up other things, etc...
judging by your pic, you're not using pacman, you're using pamac, a GUI wrapper. in it, you can tell if you're installing from the AUR or not if when you search for a package, on the left, you're on the "AUR" tab. in cli pacman will never install from AUR (it can't), there are other programs for it.

I downloaded tar.bz2 how do I install it ?

for what purpose? 99% of the time you should install from pacman, no downloading... what are you trying to install

>99% of the time you should install from pacman
firefox. I could install using pacman and yay (bin) but i wanted to install the .tar to learn

oh well in that case theres bound to be a readme somewhere, probably in the tar... when you install from tarballs installation steps may vary but are usually described in a readme file inside the tar.

ins't there a way to extract and install .tar in the command line?

tar -xvzf mytarball.tar
then read the readme and follow what they ask for.

You must be a fucking failure in society.

>nigga

>bruh
>nigga

>this nigga

wiggers are so fucking gay lol.