/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on blue titles to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>R5 1600 - $80 at Microcenter, for motherboard choose the $50 Asus Prime X370, $100 bundled together
>R5 2600 - Good gaming CPU with great value
>R7 1700X - Budget rendering
>For extreme performance in FPS, rendering, or multicore workloads, wait for benchmarks on 7/7.

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3200CL16 is ideal
>AMD B and X chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>Used cards can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p
>eBay RX 580 8GB - $100-$130 used don't even bother looking at RX 570s this is rock bottom
>GTX 1660 - standard
>RTX 2060 - high framerates (requires complementary CPU and monitor)
1440p
>Wait for benchmarks on 7/7
2160p (4K)
>Wait for benchmarks on 7/7
>RTX 2080Ti - best fit for 4K but expensive

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>Don't bother buying a new monitor for gaming unless it's high refresh with adaptive sync
>A 256GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless
>$350 gaming build
Last thread:

Attached: 1540898642780.jpg (836x543, 111K)

Other urls found in this thread:

microcenter.com/product/476089/asus-prime-x370-pro-am4-atx-amd-motherboard
fr.pcpartpicker.com/list/L7xxXP
amazon.com/dp/B07JC4MB7V/ref=psdc_284822_t1_B07JCD8GQN
overclock.net/forum/327-online-deals/1728478-corsair-com-corsair-force-mp600-1tb-gen4-pcie-x4-nvme-m-2-ssd-212-49-a.html
pcpartpicker.com/list/KQTtjy
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/f2trTB
newegg.com/intel-660p-series-1tb/p/N82E16820167462?Item=N82E16820167462
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Is there really 3000Mhz DDR3 RAM?
I have a board that officially supports it but I never heard of such high clocks for DDR3

Attached: Free Ram.jpg (3514x2088, 2.88M)

why

Has anyone here done a USB flashback on a Crosshair VII? Wanting to do it now while I wati for Ryzen 3000s next week, is it as simple as
>Format USB to FAT 32, put the latest BIOS file on it and rename it to CH7.cap
>Plug USB into BIOS port on Motherboard, plug motherboard into PSU
>Hold the BIOS button for 3 seconds
>Let it go to work until LED stops flashing then it's done
>Unplug everything
?

don't flash a new bios yet
try it without the bios flash and report to us if it works out of the box, that's way more interesting

there could be more updates too so id wait either way

Reposting.

Used Alienware M18x R2 for $100 a good parts buy? I know it's old but it should still hold up okay for the price. Seller says he fucked with the video card heat sinks to fix a problem that is probably just a frayed ribbon cable so if he didn't break it worse it might just work with a new cable.

Update: found out from the seller's new feed that the video card heat sink repasting was in 2014. Not sure why he decided after 5 years he didn't want to mess with it anymore.

If I do try this and it doesn't work it'll just fail to boot right? Won't damage any parts?

Yeah that's a good point I'll wait until I have it

>shady seller wants to sell you $100 brick
yeah I'm gonna go with fuck no

So with the Supers coming out next week, where's the best place to grab a 2070? Have the price dropped?

it's cool, he's white

I'm obviously going to bring a live Linux stick to at least make sure it boots. If it's just the ribbon cable to the screen being cracked or something then it's an easy fix. But there's also a chance his Windows drivers were just fucked up and it'll work fine in Linux right away.

>buying a broken laptop from 2012 for 100 bucks
No.

It was like $2k at the time. Find me a $100 laptop that can play Arkham City on high at 70 fps.

open question: should we stop posting pcpartpicker links in the op? if you click links on their website, don't clear cookies and buy they get (((affiliate money)))

They're providing a service, I don't see the issue for monetising that.

you do know that the chips that go into laptops are the bottom of the barrel right?
the gpu is probably already fried, he might have """reballed"""""" it with a heat gun, and it will last you a month or two before dying.

>they get (((affiliate money)))
It's funny that /pcg/ hates Intel but are totally okay with pcpartpickler.

okay I think the next op whoever the faggot may be should compromise by adding this disclaimer
>PCPartPicker contains affiliate links. To deny them money buy using direct links in your browser's private mode.

>They're providing a service, I don't see the issue for monetising that.
Affiliate bullshit works to the detriment of the consumer due to shill campaigns and overhead costs. Nothing is put to use making things cheaper for the end-user. And it's really easy to deny them the affiliate money so we should at least inform the dumb goys basing buying decisions on an Arabian wrestling club website.

The price won't drop, 2060 super is 420 and 2070 s 600

AAAARRGGHH I JUST WANT TO KNOW HOW HIGH THE PRICES OF NEW CPUS AND GPUS ARE IN AUSFAILIA

How would he have planned it so carefully to let the GPU work for a month after the sale when the maintenance was performed several years ago? Everything about the symptoms he describes points to a faulty ribbon cable or Windows driver issue. Seriously, web search "pink screen laptop."

I'm trying to get r5-3600 on 7/7 but at the same time don't know what motherboard to pick, there is like 5 chipsets 7 brands 3 form factors, they may or may not overclock, they may or may not support Ryzen 3000, or they may possibly with a BIOS that needs to be upgraded with a dud CPU or by a service tech, etc. ALL OF THIS AMD MOTHERBOARD SHIT IS CONFUSING!

Attached: 1558974199400.jpg (300x309, 22K)

US and near microcenter? buy this board + a 3600 for $50 + $200 - $30 for the AM4 bundle deal. Then go to a customer representative and pay $0 or like $10 to flash your bios to the latest version. Wow that was easy and cheap!
microcenter.com/product/476089/asus-prime-x370-pro-am4-atx-amd-motherboard

Dude never ever buy on release date. And this just doesn't go for PC parts, but everything.

A lot of rumors going around

Attached: 1545087387452.jpg (400x605, 200K)

evatech.com.au had these prices listed before AMD told them to stop preordering. Not sure how accurate they'll be but gives you an idea at least
>3600 – $329
>3600x – $399
>3700x – $535
>3800x – $649
>3900x – $825

This. Especially since the 2700x will go down in price.

>Seller says he fucked with the video card heat sinks to fix a problem that is probably just a frayed ribbon cable so if he didn't break it worse it might just work with a new cable.
>fucked with
>probably just
its your money not mine.

My Cambridge microcenter doesn't have any x370s in stock anymore apparently.

how long does the new amd stuff take to release in australia? is it like a day aftter 7/7 for burgers?

I'm actually hoping the 2700x gets really cheap. I'm still on a i7 2600k so a even a 2700x is going to be a big upgrade.

I think the 3600 with an overclock would be better for gaming

Keep an eye out on the stock levels. They're been distributing X370 Prime boards to stores to get fucking rid of so you might get some more.

You should get it first since you are like 14 hours into the future.

I'm not hearing great things about suppliers having stock on the day of release desu.

This is the build I am working on:
fr.pcpartpicker.com/list/L7xxXP

I am looking for a monitor. Main purpose is FPS gaming. So a stable 100fps on 1080p is important for me.

Any recommendations?

amazon.com/dp/B07JC4MB7V/ref=psdc_284822_t1_B07JCD8GQN

u heard wrong

Umart sounded like they're not going to have stock when I spoke to them (they're my only local for same day pickup), and a mate of mine who uses ShoppingExpress religiously said they're not expecting stock until the end of the month.

15% off to any burgers planning on getting Corsair's PCIe 4 SSD overclock.net/forum/327-online-deals/1728478-corsair-com-corsair-force-mp600-1tb-gen4-pcie-x4-nvme-m-2-ssd-212-49-a.html

Now to suffer trying to find similar deals down under

Attached: 1458948447741.jpg (500x400, 10K)

>fr.pcpartpicker.com/list/L7xxXP
CPU is too weak for 100fps

>tfw microcenter will probably have 3600s on launch date
Not gonna buy one of course. I'll wait until month 1 is over and both companies price war until it falls to $150. Probably enough time for DDR4 prices to drop even more and for premium X370 boards to show up on ebay for cheap.

debating whether or not to buy out microcenter's stock of x370 primes though, easy flips on ebay

probably why that user has no stock in his store

We're talking about aussie stock

Yeah I know, was just rubbing it in. :^)

I know this is stupid but if I use a 2600x and I'm moving to a 3700x/3800x will I need to reinstall Windows?

Attached: 1543698319515.png (657x527, 29K)

How much of a real-world difference does it make moving from a SATA SSD to an entry-level M.2 PCIe model?

Yea I kinda thought it might gonna drag the performance down.
Which one would you recommend?

Navi-based Vega 56 replacement when?
56 is EoL and it'll prob be expensive by the time I want to buy it (late Aug)

I'm thinking of getting the new Ryzen 3 series after a few weeks of its release. Since I have Intel, I will also need a new motherboard. Is it really necessary to reinstall Windows? I'm too lazy to go through the process of reinstalling and configuring programs.

If it was a simple cpu swap then you wouldn't have to. But a new motherboard will always need a new windows install.

Any good deals on 1440p 27" IPS monitors for Yurop?

Need one but I don't really wanna spend more than 250 for a decent one

lmao what? you might have the rare driver problem like old drivers wasting resources but windows will work in a new motherboard

dude stop.

No.

I'm pretty sure the RX5600 is going to be more around RX590 performance than Vega 56.
The 5700 is 10-15% faster than Vega 56. Why would they make a new die that's only another 15% slower?

the fuck?

Most people who think they need this probably don't and would get the same day-to-day performance from something half the price.

Don't get a QLC SSD as a main drive.
This needs to go in the OP I guess. Too many fuck this up.

you stop first, it technically works and can save that user like 10 minutes in front of a setup screen doing if he has an nvme drive

RX5600 when?

M2 or 2.5"? The price for the EVO is the same and I figured I'd save the trouble of a cable by going M2 but what about heat issues? Perhaps a regular 2.5" would be a better choice?

I'm trying to decide if I want to get a good mobo or just cheap out. The deciding factor is precision boost overdrive which i've never used before.
About how much of a boost would I expect to see when I enable PBO?

x – $535
Damn it. Was hoping this would be under five hundred. I will get the 3600 then

so i've been running my ram for a couple of years which is rated at 1600 mhz, at 2133 mhz by simply choosing a higher clock in the dram frequency option in my motherboard bios and i just checked today and found out the latency in cpuz is cl12. now i've read the lower the cas latency the better performance you'll have especially in vidya. the jump from 1600 to 2133 has been pretty big for me in some games so is it worth trying to use my motherboards "memory try it" option to try cl10/cl11? it offers a performance mode and compatibility mode for each latency option.

Any aussies here had exprience with umart's 30 day return policy? Want to grab a shitty AMD processor to hold me over while waiting for the 3000 series next week so I can use my build, want to know if it's easy or not

Who's better at motherboards? Asus, msi, gigabyte?

Why do you think any seller would give you full refund of something you used?

They have a change of mind policy for 30 days and as far as I'm aware there's only a 20% restocking fee

I think msi is the value king in terms of b450 and x470 motherboards.

In many cases, the difference in performance between the GPUs is not that big. There's less than 15% between Vega 56 and 64, and around 15% between 1660 and 1660Ti, between 1660Ti and RTX 2060, and between 2060 and 2070.
So probably the stronger 5600 would be Vega 56 performance at 150W and the small one would still be faster than the 590 by 10% or so.

If you don't plan on hitting your m.2 with massive transfer loads I would say heat isn't an issue.

>only a 20% restocking fee
Sometimes I'm really glad I live in a country with sane consumer laws where the vendor eats the fees

Thanks, I initially got it for an mitx build but decided to do an ATX build instead and while I don't need the M2 any longer I started to think it might be better to return it for a 2.5"

I asked this in /sqt/ but didn't get an answer so I apologize if this isn't the right place either. For those of you who use Nox or any other android emulators, does it matter if I go with an Intel cpu or AMD? I do recall Intel being better for emulators in general, but this was a few years ago. I don't know if times have changed or if Intel is still the preferred emulation cpu. My 8350 FX is getting really old and I'm getting close to upgrading.

Ayo
I'm thinking ot upgrading my b350 + ryzen 1700 to a 3600X with a new mobo. And using the 1700X for a home server.
Any comments on this idea?

200MHz

Bruh this CPU is fine for 1080p 144hz.
I use a 1700 at 3.0Ghz for gaming and it doesn't even go over 10% usage for most games. The 2600 has higher single core performance, and 12 threads is more than enough.

Nox supports both, and modern AMD (Ryzen) and Intel processors perform just fine. No noticeable difference

Does a good CPU cooler help remove hot air from the GPU? All reviews focus on CPU temp only but mention nothing about how/if it helps the case temperature. Logically a dual fan push/pull should help remove more heat and increase airflow but perhaps the difference is negligible?

Yeah push/pull is negligible both for the CPU and the case. Depends more on the case's airflow

Just get althon 200ge for 75 bucks if you can't wait

I just figured that the hot air from the GPU rises towards the CPU and it you have a dual fan cooler it might help push the hot air out of the case faster since the output fan is behind the CPU cooler.

Yes, but that output fan is the key. And the intakes as well

WHER ETHE FUCK IS SUPER ANNOUNCEMENT AND INFO

Attached: tenor (2).gif (432x498, 1.27M)

Few hours :^)

Isn't there a point where more fans do nothing? Your exhaust fan can only push so much.

Is there any chance the 2070 super might be faster than the current vanilla 2080?

Almost time for AMD shitters to drop cash on another obsolete product. How many times are you retards going to fall for the marketing? Lol fucking spastics.

Will a water cooled 2080 be able to boost to near 2080Ti (air cooled) performance? Or should I might as well get an air cooled 2080 and save the $200 difference?

save the money, it's not going to get even close

OK, thanks. I thought maybe the increased performance would make it last longer and thus be of better value in the long run but I guess I'll get the regular air cooler then.

WAIT FOR THE RTX SUPER 2070 Ti

But prices have already started to drop for the 2080's and if the 2070 Super has the same launch price as the 2070 had it still be slightly cheaper but also have slightly worse performance so the 2080 doesn't seem like terrible value.

pcpartpicker.com/list/KQTtjy
I clearly have no idea what I'm doing, I just want a nice pc to occasionally game on. I usually just program but I'm getting some cash and I can't think of anything to spend it on. I think £1000/$1261.38 is probably my budget.

uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/f2trTB
There you go

Will wait for reviews, if it's good as it sounds I might upgrade, if not, I can wait because my 1600 is still fairly decent.

Can you explain:

>Don't get a QLC SSD as a main drive.
This needs to go in the OP I guess. Too many fuck this up.

Why is it not a good idea to use this SSD as a main storage? What kind of SSD should I use instead?

2070S : 2560 cores
2080 : 2944 cores
Same VRAM clocks

No chance of 2070S clocking significantly higher than 2080 to make up the gap in cores. I'm thinking 2070S has 80-90% the perf of vanilla 2080

Are Intel SSDs any good?
newegg.com/intel-660p-series-1tb/p/N82E16820167462?Item=N82E16820167462

>tfw Ryzen 1600 + RTX2060 combo

Call the cops, I don't give a fuck

QLC has lower write endurance compared to TLC. Not ideal for OS and frequently used programs where they do lots of writes. Having said that, it's still fine, the endurance is high enough for the average users. It's just that at the moment, QLC is not that much cheaper than TLC

Just buy 5700XT goy.