Why is Unreal Engine hated by Jow Forums?

Why is Unreal Engine hated by Jow Forums?
It’s honestly the best way if you want to make 3D games. Literally no flaws in code.
inb4
>Epic
who gives a shit, I myself don’t like the company and for games I use only Steam but Unreal is just too good to ignore.
And it’s not like there’s any competition. All other engines suck at more complex 3D games.

Attached: A7B2306D-A175-448F-8FC0-B528ADAD9D70.png (600x600, 117K)

Other urls found in this thread:

southpark.cc.com/clips/382786/you-didnt-read-it
youtube.com/watch?v=9fC20NWhx4s&t=1s
openmw.org/2015/announcing-switch-openscenegraph/
youtube.com/watch?v=1CeRcJHdJbo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Who says it's hated, ignore the steamtards

go back to /v/eddit

? Game engines are technology.

Only garbage devs use UE4. Imagine not valuing your work and giving someone a cut of your profit just because you use their tool.

>inb4
>Epic
No, that's a valid argument. Using some fascist chink botnet instead of open source alternatives is retarded.

So give a better alternative,

Godot, Torque

meh, barely

Write your own engine faggot. Or hell just use an old engine. Every single game made in the Quake 1 engine is better than anything that's come out in the past 10 years anyway.

Wait a minute, isn't the Unreal Engine open-source as well?

>use your own engine
Yeah enjoy making it for 10 years before even starting with the game. The scene display feature alone would take like what, 2 years to make?
It’s good for very simple games. I’m talking about something more complex.

southpark.cc.com/clips/382786/you-didnt-read-it

Yikes.

There's more mathematics in game engines than in any operating system. Game engines are much more intricate to program and have tighter performance constraints. Yes, game engines are technology.

Bullshit you can remake quake 1 in unreal with the latest and greatest vectorisations and hardware raytracing and it would run at indefinitely high FPS. Your computer is just trash.

>There's more mathematics in game engines than in any operating system
Yeah, gaymers are retarded.
Look at seL4 and tell me it's easier than baby lingebra in your engine, you dropout scum. Not that you'd know any math used by seL4 team.

>game engines = linear algebra
It's okay to be ignorant but don't start spewing shit. A modern game such as lords of the fallen can need to solves everal np-complete problems, optimisation problems, euclidean and non-euclidean geometry, heavy use of cryptography especially for DRM/obfuscation, AI and predictive netcode, compressed data structures and more I'm missing. Whereas the linux kernel is mostly stringing together drivers and maybe encrypting something once in a while. Maybe some thread safety.

>talking about something more complex.
FOSS engines (or your own engine) are again better because you can change them and tweak them the way you want without having to waste money on DRM tax. So UE4 is shit for complex games.

Source available doesn't mean FOSS. Unity is also ((("open source"))) if you give them money.

UE4 can also be tweaked heavily. Tell me some tweaks you wanted to do but couldn't.

I use to like it but after playing around with it and playing UE4 games I'm less impressed. Every UE4 game I have runs like shit, in doom on the newest idtech engine I get 120+ fps on vulkan while all the UE4 games struggle to break 40 fps. Antialiasing is rubbish in deferred mode and the lighting is crap, almost everything is prebaked lightmaps. Included nvidia physx is crap, if you any sort of decent vehicles you have to program it all yourself, you would think decent vehicle and flight models would be an obvious inclusion for a multipurpose game engine. Epic guzzle cum from nvidia, microsoft and the chinese government, anything they want is a priority over actual customer needs. Vulkan and dx12 support is crap, it's not really optimized and runs like dx11, they perpetually push DX12 to appease MS and nvidia while ignoring user requests to focus on vulkan since it's cross platform. It's lacking some important rendering features, there's no way to use floating polygons to project decals, which is very important for detailed hardsurface models, constantly requested but epic only cares about fortblight and chinese mobile games.

>write your own engine
nigga it's not the 90s anymore, that's just not feasible unless you're making something simple. Even some AAA studios have stopped developing in-house engines

>Why is Unreal Engine hated by Jow Forums?
It is not.
Though, it is safe to assume most of Jow Forums would not like the EULA.

>without having to waste money on DRM tax.
:middle_finger:

That's only if you're successful enough to make big profits.

>np-complete problems
Using already known algos.
>optimisation problems
Solved by mathemagicians, again just copy-paste from a paper.
>euclidean and non-euclidean geometry
Barely touching basics of lingebra. Again, all solved by other people.
>heavy use of cryptography especially for DRM/obfuscation
Done by third-party library, OS and hw, with algos done by some mathemagican in 50's.
>AI and predictive netcode
Plug 'n' chug solutions most likely, copy-pasting at best.
>compressed data structures and more I'm missing
I have yet to see an engine using data structure from this millenium. Oh, i think DOOM used cache-oblivious tree from 2006. But again, copy-paste from paper, no math knowledge required.
>Whereas the linux kernel
You're dodging m8y. I specifically pointed out seL4, go look up how many papers they produced, pushing state-of-the-art in formal verification and other areas.
Lincucks can't even copy ZFS, let alone come up with something good themselves.
The only people who need more than undergrad in /v/-tier sw are guys at Foundry, Disney, etc. because they at least come up with new shit. Gaymertards just stick papers together, one level better than frontend guys who just stick libraries together.

Attached: cfbffced36c337c74cd6221b266253985646dc4f247eec6c93a147536142b9f1.png (322x308, 74K)

Nothing is wrong with the unreal engine, same for unity. Its just retarded devs who know 0 about proper optimization. They see shiny graphics and think that they're done.

But fuck Epic for killing Unreal Tournament just to shit out more fortnite emotes. Plus their ass store. They truly went from a we'll respected developer to complete ass in a really short time, shame.

>already known
>Solved
>third party
>copy paste
Sure then your game engine uses 100% CPU for nothing. It takes a ton of skill to sit down and implement those algorithms correctly and minimalistically, lest your engine drains 100% of your CPU for nothing. You're not even an amateur, you're excruciatingly naive for thinking this way. If it were that easy, game engines would be virtually free to make and take no more than a month to produce.
>formal verification
Is a meme and a side problem for self-made problems. How about not writing shit code? Other than cybersecurity there is absolutely no reason for operating systems to exist, they are just a compromise because we don't have 2-3 interchangeable computers with the exact same ISA. It would be better to not have them.

Imagine having this strong of an opinion about some people's hobby and children's toys.

Attached: havesex.jpg (640x640, 40K)

After all those other pet projects I'll make some simple game on a bare metal RasPi. Wish me luck.

Good luck but why don't you get a job

Luckily for everyone involved in computers its not hard to draw some pictures on a screen.
Remember that the software you are selling is called a "game" not beautiful image generator.
Its meant for intellectual amusement and not visual amusement.
Also remember that the most selling game of all time Tetris is a couple of square shapes stacking on each other.

Doesn't matter how much you're making, you're still depending on 3rd party garbage and are partially owned by chinks.

Let’s say I would want to create 3D RPG from scratch knowing nothing about programming in C++ as for now. Where to start from?
I would much prefer a physical book than tutorials btw, I know it’s retarded but I find it way more efficient when it comes to learning.

Also I have all the time in the world so don’t try to discourage by saying it’s going to take decades. I know it and I don’t give a shit, I spend all my day daydreaming anyway and puring my dreams and visions into a game doesn’t seem like such a bad idea.

>Torque
Hi VD, no Age of Decadence isn't a very well constructed game and it made a bad engine choice.

That's why I have so many pet projects. The evenings and weekends are short.

If it's hated by Jow Forums it's a good thing.

>he works for someone else
Look at this man and laugh.
Im literally posting from my office of my own business not giving a single fuck.

> It takes a ton of skill to sit down and implement those algorithms correctly and minimalistically
No it does not. It takes basic knowledge of your platform, i know it seems a lot in the age of webshitters, but it simply isn't. Any worthwhile undergrad curriculum will cover it.
>If it were that easy, game engines would be virtually free to make and take no more than a month to produce
First, something being easy doesn't mean it's fast to produce. Engine teams are dozen people usually, unless you take Epic or a company focused on engine dev, and most man-time goes to tooling, not the core systems.
Second, i know it's easy because i implemented multi splay trees for my uni's research dbms at time when the paper wasn't even published yet, it didn't require any mathematics beyond what i already knew.
>Is a meme and a side problem for self-made problems
Yeah, sure. As demonstrated by the damages caused by software worldwide, bug-bounty programs and exploits going for anywhere from 10k to 1kk on the market.
>How about not writing shit code?
Seems impossible for humans, even the best ones. If you want anything but "believe me m8, i dun dis 10 times" as assurance for your system working, you'll have to do at least some verification. Not that a manchild would understand, as his game is all offline data, with the occasional protocol being trivial (and still exploitable in most cases).
>there is absolutely no reason for operating systems to exist
There might not be on /v/aymer platforms like PS/XBOX/whatever, but good luck getting your software to run on 3 different platforms.
Software isn't just gayms and your online loli forum browser. You being a x86 retarded gaymer who doesn't need his shit to work, and flexes "muh performance" on a housefire ISA, wouldn't know anything about how the development of infrastructure for your chromosome-stealing ass works.
Real software can't just "ouchie, a crash haha, just load from save" because lives depend on it working.

Attached: jojo_kill_yourself.jpg (720x811, 68K)

>literally no flaws in code

Documentation is crap
Programming for it is misery because they leaned so heavily on the visual programming thing they forgot to properly support real programming
There's significant bugs that fuck with your workflow that have been known for several years and there's been no effort to fix them (one example being certain components/sockets just disappearing after a compile)
It's poorly optimized and buggy across the board and not even Epic can wrangle it properly, which is why there fucking cartoon-style flagship game runs like crap
It has actual, for reals spyware integrated
Epic is owned by Chinks

And fucking yet, it's basically the only non-meme choice for 3D. Unity is always This Close, But No Cigar, even though it at least has better documentation. Godot isn't even in the realm of viability for 3D. Source is a complete shitshow, as is CryEngine. Making your own engine is the true two-digit IQ meme, because the retards spewing the that shit only think of an engine in terms of putting triangles on the screen and maybe doing some simple physics and completely forget the heavy lifting it does in terms of memory management, tying all the moving parts together into a functioning game and having a GUI that improves your workflow tremendously.

It's fucking misery.

Attached: 2294267-bigthumbnail[1].jpg (450x300, 84K)

the delusional guy is in

I was sure the autistic guy was a weeb, lel

also, links to your magnificent game engine

>Making your own engine is the true two-digit IQ meme
Maybe for retardos like your.

fucking bloated, slow, unstable shit with one of the most awful APIs in existence

> I am better than thousands of highly skilled, experienced and well payed developers

> I just need 1000 dollars and copy paste stuff
> please give me money

If i input pathetic^pathetic in wolfram your names comes out user

>Sure then your game engine uses 100% CPU for nothing.
Like UE4, then.

>bloated, slow, unstable
stop using a 2005 laptop, nigger
A basic i5-8400, 16gb of ram and an SSD make UE4 run smooth as butter.

>feeding the "make your own engine" agdg shitposters
newfag

Is writing your own game engine another Jow Forums meme like using linux?

the performance of ue4 is way out of proportion with the visual complexity

it sits there eating gigabytes of ram and just to render a single cube and a skybox... at 100 FPS

>not using idTech 2
coward

just use ioquake3/spearmint/qfusion

the default shaders/engine is a bit heavy/gluttonous, but you can make games for mobile or switch with it,
Also this run at 100 fps on a gtx 1080 and it looks almost better than rendered CGI
youtube.com/watch?v=9fC20NWhx4s&t=1s

It's an extremly powerfull engine that can easily handle 8k texture, the biggest light map bake, ray tracing, millions of polys etc.
At this point it's only capable 3D engine that you can get really, it's only limited by its users.

Yes. If you go that way you'd lose motivation even before you complete 10% of the engine and move on to another projects and, if for some miracle you complete your engine, it's very likely to be a sprawling mess of bugs and inefficient code; and all for reinventing the wheel.

as said if you don't use your plasticky shit and upgrade, you will see that UE has always been one of the best cost/performance engines out there

also, complaining about RAM filled (which is quite stupid since any unused RAM is wasted RAM) in 2019? jeez get a job pajeet

Tell me about OGRE, is it worth using?

The OpenMW project doesn't think so.
openmw.org/2015/announcing-switch-openscenegraph/

It's very bloated 2000s style middleware

Industry standards in current serious indie dev world :

2D/3D engine : unreal and unity
texturing : substance and quixel/megascans
3d mesh/animation : maya mostly, blender to some extent
Music creation : ??? depend on the game I guess

anything else is a meme

no.

but there is HUGE difference in making an engine for educational purposes and making an engine to run your pet project / dream game.

Which part do you want me to make? I'm not going to spend two years on tooling, so tech demo would surely suffice?
Keep in mind i have about 2h daily to dedicate to proving some /v/aymer shitter that his heroes are as incompetent as he is.
>I am better than thousands of
Who you quoting?
>highly skilled, experienced and well payed developers
You mean the manchildren dropouts, who are notoriously underpaid? Yeah, i'm better than most of them. Switch our jobs and they get fired, while i'll be up to speed in no time.
I feel monetarily comfortable, sitting at 93rd percentile in Loicenceland designing ASICs for a shitty fintech company #7359. I really don't care about proving a bunch of manchildren wrong enough to drop 90%+ of my paycheck.

Attached: yukarithumbsup.jpg (469x384, 54K)

i really don't care about MUH GFX DEMO, i care about an engine being straightforward and rock solid, and i care about its tendency to make your end product suck (for example if you use unity your end product is probably going to be stuttery shit)

come back when ue4 doesn't choke with dynamic lights, doesn't have a separate lighting equation between dynamic and static lights, doesn't suck up all ram, can cope with multiple transparent layers, doesn't lose mouse precision by multiplying and rounding mouse deltas for no reason, doesn't crash and corrupt build objects, doesn't run like shit, doesn't have the most awful multiplayer model of any game engine, doesn't have a fucking suicide-inducing API, doesn't have layers of fucking bloat webkit instances and all sorts of fucking middleware shit fucking your performance in the ass, and isn't a big pile of fucking ocelot piss

it really feels like the engine and the tools are fighting you every step of the way

RAM filled with useless shit really IS wasted RAM

you're no authority

fucking imagine thinking indies mainly use maya hahaha

>Maybe for retardos like your.
>your
Based room temperature IQ poster

Attached: elle-leonardo-dicaprio-toast-07-the-great-gatsby-warner-bros-pictures_1[1].jpg (980x653, 64K)

I can't possibly think of a stupider argument than "what has more math, game engines or operating systems"

what's your point?

autism confirmed, thank god I never had to deal with shitters like you in my 12+ years of dev experience.

Everything you said shows your incapability to work in a team and lack of big vision so I would say that even if it's true that you have a job (you don't) you don't have anything public to show (since you're this retarded I imagine github or bitbucket are out of question)

basically, sod off kid

Attached: 60723071_10156532402583789_8681964651547721728_n.jpg (900x900, 98K)

Has huge input delay.
UEdevs put graphux first, gameplay second

you seem really obsessed with getting people to use unreal engine

true but the input lag is improving. still isn't good enough.

anyone even responding to that argument needs to stop

can't give a fuck less, I'm just having my monthly dose of reasons to avoid Jow Forums and all the uni rejects in it (making 98% of the users)

>MUH GFX DEMO
It's not really demo, megascans is basically industry standars textures, even with the biggest studio, RDR2 for exemple was made using the same textures, and it's not a gfx demo. RDR2 just used 512x512 version instead of the 4k ones.
Hundreds of studios use those textures.

>doesn't choke with dynamic lights
Dynamic lights works well on 4.22, from the basic spot light, directional light, skybox light, even the new point lights is good.

>doesn't have a separate lighting equation between dynamic and static lights
Baking light is a good way to optimize the game and get very goo visuals and good perfs, you just need proper UV mapping.

>doesn't suck up all ram
works fine with 8gb.

>doesn't crash and corrupt build objects
Never really had a crash in like 2 years. Using a 256gb SSD. Only had one baking a light for a big scene.

>doesn't run like shit
Run every well on a $600 machine and give very good performance/graphic/power results even on android phones and switch.

>and all sorts of fucking middleware shit fucking your performance in the ass
What middleware are you talking about? The plugins and integrated softwares works fine.

Absolutely. You'll spend a significant amount of time on just messaging, memory and data management and will do a shitton of work before you even start putting anything on the screen. Then you can pick your poison of either going for Vulkan (which, now that AMD has abandoned it, might become a meme rapidly), Dx12 (which will probably be jumped over in favor of 13 or even 14) or Dx11 (which got features backported from 12, but is miserable to work with and lives on borrowed time) to start rendering anything at all. Then you can start thinking physics, sound, AI, managing all that shit and tying it together. You'll also want to build tools for all of this and maybe think about how you integrate that your engine with an IDE, because good fucking luck getting anything done in an appretiable amount of time when you can't even build levels with drag and drop.

I'm speaking about serious indie devs, the one that sell more than 10,000 - 50,000 copies, they prefear maya to blender.

your 16 years old or chink asset flipper on unity that publish trash is not really a "serious indie dev" imo

nVidia proprietary software

I think the guy couldnt make it with unreal so he blames unreal for his poor decision/poor hardware/lack of skill/learning

Too bloated for most simple applications
Not free as in freedumbs

you can download it on github as an open source project, compile it as you wish and modify what you want, add and remove what you want.
What the fuck freetard want?

Jesus fuck user, you are speaking straight from my soul. This is what you get when the company making the engine has no interest in making a game with it. If they had made Unreal 4 and a new UT along with it, as it should have been, they would have realized how many piece of shit dead ends they were building into this. Instead they kept durdling on with Paragon and Fortnite as an afterthought and now it's biting them in the ass.

And the worst thing is they you're practically stuck with it if you want to do 3D, because the alternatives are somehow even worse for the overall workflow.

Attached: hu-qiong_1635956c[1].jpg (460x288, 28K)

Cryengine had the potential to be really great. What a shame.

liked and subscribed

>works fine with 8gb.
the editor routinely runs out of ram and crashes if you run it on 8gb. just use it for 20 minutes and poof, dead. if you watch a graph of memory usage there's clearly a memory leak there.

>Never really had a crash in like 2 years.
i've had crashes that caused project corruption, but over 2 years ago.

oh yeah the level editor sucks ass. radiant -- a tool that is decades old now -- is far superior because you can just block out the map with CSG brushes and progressively refine them. you can try to do that in UE4 but the tools for doing so are almost unusable. the in-editor modeling tools that epic promised were coming soon would have solved all this but they never released them, cunts.

>Never really had a crash in like 2 years. Using a 256gb SSD. Only had one baking a light for a big scene.
You are either Jesus or full of shit, because UE4 is notoriously unstable. It even constantly crashed for no reason at all while compiling for a good two years and still sometimes decides to kill itself out of nowhere.

nope the input lag is there

Well I've 16gb and never had any issue, I don't remember having issues with 8gb but it was 3 years ago on a weaker project. I guess it depend on the scale of the game.
And if you cant put $80 in
I mean with 8gb you cant even run chrome and photoshop at the same time now.

>oh yeah the level editor sucks ass
I used world creator for the heightmap, didnt use much of landscape tools.
Then for lights, textures, audio etc. it's basically just clic and grab, no issue here.
I would say it's a bit archaic but nothing problematic.

>the in-editor modeling tools that epic promised
kek, I don't even remember that, or vaguely.
Blender is enough for poorfag anyway.

>Cryengine had the potential to be really great
did it though?
the era of "look at how shiny the graphics are in this engine" ended a decade ago
all that matters is how usable it is, they all have more or less the same graphical capability now

maya is the industry standard, indies use blender because it's free

>autism confirmed
I knew that for a long time. Is this some "witty" argument?
>Everything you said shows your incapability to work in a team
Because achievers don't need to work in a team. I was working in a big-ish team during undergrad, thank god i don't have to interact with apes such as yourself, i'm already beyond my capacity for rage for having to write "understandable" reports for management.
The few people that work with me directly are as capable as me. I don't have to adjust.
>you don't have anything public to show
I value my time, so i don't work for free. My work fulfills my CS-related desires, so i prefer to study in my spare time instead of making yet another hobbyist plumbing system. The only public thing i have is CV, and i'm not doxxing myself because you're worse than the sjws you seem to hate so much.
It's sad that you need "something to show off" to get employed. In my industry, you get employed just based on the name of your uni and companies you worked for. You get offers all the time.
I know it's hard to believe, but not everyone needs to beg for work.

Attached: ac0.png (744x768, 721K)

yeah I assume all the big publishers use 8gb to develop a fucking videogame right? better save those dollas

>In my industry, you get employed just based on the name of your uni and companies you worked for
that's basically saying you're a retard doing something that requires no skill

>using method f, g, h
>decide to use a different but similar sort of object as a component of an actor
>cannot use method f, g, or h because they do not inherit from some bullshit class and the bureaucracy gods are displeased
imagine basing your game programming api around multiple inheritance and making your users juggle bullshit, for fuck's sake

Jow Forums hates everything to do with bideogayms

Maya LT is extremly cheap, like 15 dollars a month depending on the country, it's used by the upper indie devs, the serious ones.

I remember starting to learn Cryengine 3 because I had an FPS project, it was very easy to make an FPS/TPS with it, Cryengine was very good noob friendly, and looked really, really good. Still think it's the easier for basic good looking FPS/TPS projects. The interface/performance etc. were also excellent iirc.

>they all have more or less the same graphical capability now
dunno, out of the box cryengine 3 had better graphics than most unity games today
youtube.com/watch?v=1CeRcJHdJbo

some of us don't want to make outdoor maps and some of us don't want to build indoor maps by dragging premade models around. what a shitty workflow.

>kek, I don't even remember that, or vaguely.
it had a weird name like geotools or something

>Blender is enough for poorfag anyway.
you're not getting it. making an indoor map out of CSG brushes is the easiest workflow.

> implying
I get 5-10 daily people asking me for job but what do I know?

I know one thing, you're a sad, lonely and toxic guy that thinks he's the best when he's obviously not - so I assume you're a fresh grad in your 20-22s (since you haven't suicided yet)

once you will get to play with the big boys (you won't) come back at me with your super gaymur engine...pathetic

tell your parents (since you live with them) to slap your thick head a bit more than they did in the last 20 years

>some of us don't want to build indoor maps by dragging premade models around
how else would you do it?

why are you so obsessed with getting people to use ue4 that you get really personal and vicious at people?

i'd start with constructive solid geometry

are you kidding? that's how you made maps in the 90s, you cant make anything that looks remotely modern using CSG techniques

as stated above, I don't give a fuck about UE, just wanted to point out that the retard saying "just write it it's easy" is indeed a retard and a society reject