What is your backup solution? How much data are you protecting?

What is your backup solution? How much data are you protecting?

Attached: 3.5GB of floppy disk.jpg (450x387, 67K)

just get some mini SAS HD arrays and just stuff really big drives in them. daisy chain if you have to, you'll only lose speed. the more the better.

8x8tb snapraid with 2 of the drives configured as parity

i pray to Buddha to make backups for me

Internal 2x 8tb
External 1x8tb

Back up done manually by self discipline and being organised. I don't trust automation.

Right now, I just have one of these.

Attached: 817iyXUKc2L._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1500, 90K)

4× 2TB mdraid 10 with live data
2× 4TB zfs raid 1 as live backup in datacenter
2× 2TB separate disks as cold backup 100 km away

1TB WD HDD USB 2.0 BOI

How do people backup volumes which are larger than drive sizess?

Like if somebody has a volume larger than 14tb how in the fuck are they backing it up?

2 nas boxes, first is just 2x2Tb drives mirrored second is 4x3Tb drives in raid 5

How do people bring home groceries which are larger than bag sizes?

Like if somebody has groceries larger than 14l how in the fuck are they bringing it home?

>What is your backup solution?

Attached: Spurdo_yolo.jpg (403x403, 20K)

Im just wondering how companies which have huge datasets bigger than drives back those up?

Like if you have a 16tb dataset and the biggest drive is 14tb how do you even back that up, its not like you can make an image of it, tape only? split the image maybe?

OP is showing the world's total supply of 3.5 inch floppy disks.
There are no more. This is it.

Two bags?

Anyone have experience with using rclone on OneDrive? Looking to take advantage of my uni microsoft account (unfortunately we don't get a GSuite one)

Attached: image.jpg (800x1460, 271K)

>1tb external seagate drive

I own a usb stick.

this

I don't care fuck it delete my saves and my work. It was all meaningless anyway.

External 2Tb drive and duplicity doing encrypted backups periodically with a cron job.

For every harddrive I own I have a second one of equal size. I weekly sync files from the main drives to the backup drives. C (just the user folders) on Tusedays, D on Wendsdays, E on Thursdays.
Worse case scenario, if a drive takes a nose dive I'll be out a week worth of files for that given drive.
I have 12TB of usable drives and 12TB of backup drives.
Planning on doing something offsite for my most important shit and update it once every month or so (A thumb drive would be fine for the really, really important shit like passwords and photos)

If your storage is 1:1 why not simply set up RAID 1 ?

Absolutely based
This is exactly what I do. I recently moved my "internal" drives to a secondary Ubuntu Server machine, so I can keep them encrypted at all times with LUKS.

RAID can be used to create volumes larger than drive sizes. Throw two 14TB drives in RAID0 (yes RAID0 is bad for this use case it's just the example for the easy math) and now you have one 28TB volume. Multi-part archives are a thing too. Have you ever encountered a directory with .rar, .r00, .r01, and so on?

Thought about doing that but ended up with a syncing setup due to simplicity.
That and the backup drives are external so if I wanted to unplug one and take the drive to say a friends house to share the files its nice and easy and the syncing application dosn't care if it's unplugged. I'd had RAID setups shit themselves if one of the drives go missing for any period of time (understandably so).
For what I'm doing it works well for me.

Holy shit this

internal, always on, backups as frequent are as thought they should be
external, only plugged in for accessing, backups added seasonally
external, only on for writing, backups added yearly
optical, yearly

Yes user, glad to hear someone else does things manually. A tip for you: use the program Free File Sync, if you've not already heard of it. Very useful!

>Free File Sync
Second this. Easily the best syncing program I've used on Windows.

it's important to note that you can do the same with software raid, a feature of zfs and btrfs
and many large datasets are in some sort of structured DB format that can be expanded and replicated across many nodes (cockroachdb for ex)
lastly, tools such as ceph can provide object storage and replication across a large set of nodes. objects here meaning files or filesystems. these may be bounded by the size of individual storage pools on the nodes,
but the general point is that datasets stop following block device logistics, and storage is negotiated on a smaller level
hope this helps

1tb internal
500gb external
i guess i should upgrade since i got a job and my animu collection is growing bigger.

Now: 128gb ssd internal, temporary location for downloads. 2x 1tb external, 1 for bulk storage other for backup. Both are connecetd 24/7.
Soon: 128gb m.2 ssd for OS and programs, 2tb hdd for bulk, both internal. 2x 2tb external for backup, 2x 1tb for something. Maybe rpi torrentbox...

>use the program Free File Sync
I've been using Create Synchronicity

I store data on four 2TB HDDs, two go into my PC, I make two identical copies of the same media and use only one to not risk losing everything in case of hardware failure. System files are way smaller than media and less important for me. It may seem like a waste of money, but it's actually way cheaper and occupies much less volume than other forms of storage, and with the extra backup it's almost as safe as having vinyls or printed books. What do you guys think? Is there a better way to store media?

5TB Onedrive. its abysmal to use, but its safe and cheap.

nobody? I have no experience with backing up to cloud storage.

RAID is not backup. RAID does not protect against accidental deletion or a malware fucking up all your files

After having two different external hard drives dying within 24 hours of each other and taking out all of my data:

Recycled dell tower with a Xeon 1630v4, 16gb ECC ram

Added two 10TB WD drives, shucc'd from easystore enclosures, setup in a ZFS pool as mirrors

ZFS blocks sent to backblaze's B2 store.

The goal is to have high guarantees of data correctness (ZFS is auto checksumming), with the ability to endure any write fuckups / bitrot within reason (pool gets scrubbed once a week), the ability to withstand any two data sources fucking up (each drive is a single data sources/, plus B2).

I've not setup B2 just yet, going to upgrade to 0.8.1 ZFS and use native encryption, so blocks are transmitted encrypted, but recovery will work without the key (obv. Will need the key to access the data, but any machine can reconstruct the blocks and be ready - eg. Tower is stolen, can move all blocks into a cloud virt and decrypt later if desired)

Never going to lose my shit again, senpai

Attached: 1557794822826.jpg (625x607, 75K)

>What is your backup solution?
I got two 3TB HDDs, with 3 partitions each, and all the 6 partitions have the same stuff. So RAID 01 or 10, whatever the name is.
>How much data are you protecting?
About 1 TB.

Get on my level.

Attached: 8824b303991f4c2cf5db5e5496601305.jpg (800x764, 89K)

A 16gb SDCard

tfw internet speed not good enough for a cloud backup

Attached: 1555322668869.jpg (1024x764, 53K)

An old 80GB external HDD since I only have about 60GB of data.

What was the name of non-RAID solution where I can mix bunch of drives with different size and even include some parity?

4 * 8TB WD drives shucked from easystores in an old PC with an i5 and 8GB of RAM

installed ubuntu server, set up drives in RAID10 with mdadm, set up samba, save all my data to this.

Nothing.
I've learned to let go.

>So what do you do to prevent your wife from fucking other men?
>"nothing, I've learned to let go"

That's right. If my wife wants to fuck other men I want nothing to do with her.

>calling your data your wife
cucked by holding on