Year of the Linux Desktop is CANCELLED

It's over, Linux is bankrupt and finished. The latest numbers from the Steam hardware survey shows a huge decline in Linux use in June.

linuxreviews.org/Linux_marketshare_on_Steam_is_Dropping_Like_A_Stone

Attached: steam-with-some-games.jpg (2518x1876, 1018K)

>Judging users by people using steam
People using linux will all inevitabily realise that games are a waste og time and even if they have one guilty pleasure game they would just use it through wine not steam.
Truth is i am the ultimate normie, i catch on to shit only when it becomes a normie thing and when i tell you linux has become mainstream i'm right

Attached: henlobird.png (499x409, 322K)

why would anybody install steam on Linux when vfio exists?

Okay.

It's never going to happen until freetards stop squabbling amongst themselves and creating 20 different pieces of software to do the same thing in a slightly different way to satisfy somebody's autism, contained in one of 200 different distros. Stinky neckbeard spergs and their tranny boyfriends do more damage to Lincux every day than Microsoft do.

that has nothing to do with anything. the reality is linux as a desktop is an afterthought. Windows on the other hand was built from the ground up to be a desktop OS.

What was linux made for then?

Nobody asked for your opinion, retard. The facts are as stated.

Fun.

>Windows on the other hand was built from the ground up to be a desktop OS.
From seven and before sure, nowadays windows it's designed to be a botnet OS, a marketing platform and data harvesting tool, it keeps putting more and more layers between users and configurations with each version with hopes of users just giving up and submitting to it.

It have tho. Linux works but only with serious developers behind it, big companies make money from Linux everyday but no big guy dare to man up and take on microsoft in desktop market.
As for free developers, without leaders and management of course they gonna do things their own ways aka 6 millions distros just for the lol.

A replacement for Unix usage. Mainframes and servers.

You are the fucking retard. Most people start with the current famous distro. These often have fucking appstores and use the software that is available there.
Most normies don't care that there are 20 versions of a software when they only get one through their comfy way. When they still want to have something different they Google and or ask their Linux friend who introduced them. And get some decent results. Distro hopping starts mostly with switching DE and mostly then they realize what distros are and converge to their comfiest.

And last most normies never enter the neckbeard realm. They stay in GUI land.

> What was linux made for then?
As compsci project

>Most normies don't care that there are 20 versions of a software
They care when all 20 versions they tried all have 20 weird different flaws or lacking features. And no, tell them to fix it themselves is not an acceptable answer if you want year of the linux desktop to be a thing.

>..uh I really need to edit these work stuff VBA XSLX spreadsheet filess but I can't find Excel anywhere. Can you show me where it is?
>..also my kid keeps telling he can't get his Forknight game to run for some reason
>..I dunno about this Udindu thing, user, can I have my Windows Vista back?

You can have 2000 different desktop environments that doesn't change the fact that under the hood they all still use X or Wayland which are pretty damn bad for desktop use. You can look at the history of successful desktop machines throughout history, they are not structured like a normal Linux distro. Linux won't ever succeed on the the desktop until they ditch their shitty legacy stack or even possibly build a windowing system into the kernel.

good. I hope steam goes bankrupt so these gaming faggots can go back to windows. Gamers are the niggers of the linux world.

Linux is a kernel and vidya is for children.

>tell them to fix it themselves is not an acceptable answer
It won't fix itself either, yet here we are, the only reason proton/lutris/wine has gone so far in the last couple of years has been users putting things together to achieve something.

Looks like a reputable website.

Attached: Screenshot_2019-07-02 Linux marketshare on Steam is Dropping Like A Stone.png (154x155, 62K)

based

Cool blog op

Attached: Screenshot_20190702-171438_Brave.jpg (720x1403, 392K)

Lulz

I go to itch.io

Nice try though, Micro$oft. Troll harder.

Attached: adorable.png (300x100, 5K)

>108 messages
Jesus fucking christ.

Don't care if I have less games on linux there's still plenty I've not played, I'm not going to 10.

>CHOICES BAD
>PLEASE MS/APPLE CHOOSE FOR ME THANKS ME NOT LIKE THINK

The influx of gamers from poorer countries with pirated windows installs is probably the main reason.
Also a major issue, we need some serious investment into the Linux desktop, and as butthurt as people are going to be, if anywhere gets serious investment, its going to be Gnome.

Thank you.

I removed that stupid JavaScript warning, there's no reason to have it.

based. fuck steam and fuck steamjusticewarriors.

But, but, Linux gaming has come so far from a few years ago. All the zoomer / PC mustard racers are the cancer staying on Windows.
Gaming helped linux

I play using Proton. Shit's cool

>Gaming helped linux
That's why the falling Linux market share is bad news. It wouldn't be that bad if Valve stopped caring about Linux and I couldn't play Crush Crush anymore. But they do fund a lot of development which improves completely different areas. They need things like good graphics drivers so they contribute to Mesa. That helps everyone.

Attached: crush_crush_-_steam.jpg (3200x1799, 960K)

Vfio gpu passtrought
Game steaming
Steam proton work on non steam games
Lutris
Wine Dxvk *Wine skyrocket cause of Steam)
Native linux games on others markets

Also drms so it's renting, I was renting a game for 3$ a day as kid, why pay more ? -> Hack them

Also G2A arrival made more developpers to point piracy to users, many even made their torrents.

maybe because it's a pain to set it up, not everyone has the hardware for it and it doesn't work on just any hardware?

there was zero interest when it first started you fucking faggot. I'm currently PISSED that the shitty EAC garbage wont run on linux or even on proton those fucking faggots are annoying.

>no /fglt/ thread

Attached: 1561179505337.jpg (179x282, 8K)

Imagine being Ubuntu devs. You think they're paid by microsoft or something?

Attached: 1561584725783.jpg (980x995, 123K)

it's a known fact lintads are poorfags

it's just taking a hit because most people use ubuntu.
Give it a few months to sort out.

Nice straw man

Attached: 1559252924500.jpg (391x311, 38K)

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1538187407397.png (450x399, 319K)

imagine having to call someone just to install your own operating system

I think they are just lacy and retarded. They want to drop 32-bit cause it duplicates a lot of work and that's understandable. However, there is a difference between providing 32-bit libraries of everything and what's actually needed for compatibility: glibc, mesa, sdl, that's about it. You don't need a 32-bit kdelibs. Those Ubuntu developers are just retards. Actually, there's a lot of retardation going around these days. Just look at how zoomers on internship at Fedora are writing blog posts about how Xorg will "go into maintenance mode" because Wayland made some minor progress. I may end of buying a Mac just to avoid the risk of being infected by all the retardation going around in the free software community right now.

>Linux users actually think this

To be fair, I wouldn't put much stock in Steams user-counts for any OS. I've pretty much stopped using Steam on any platform because over the years I've come to realize how cheap and lazy these fuckers are. They've been incredibly good at pumping up the hype wagon, but only ever seem to make half-hearted attempts at actually doing anything. This 32 bit fiasco is a prime example, and I find it repugnant that they'd have the nerve to try to dump the responsibility on Ubuntu. They should be packaging this shit with their product if they can't be asked to drop it.

Steam is shit, but there aren't exactly viable alternatives at the moment.

The Windows store might be able to compete eventually, especially knowing Microsoft's slow-and-steady history, but that's going to take a while.

I also meant to add that it's easier and cheaper to just pirate their games, so that's another possible reason.

Abandoning 32-bit support is long overdue and Ubuntu are doing the right thing by forcing the issue.

>The Linux marketshare on their platform dropped by 0.08% in June leaving Linux distributions with a marginal 0.76% of total Steam usage.
Lol

>marketshare is in percentage
>when the number of users is rapidly growing on all platforms
It's literally nothing.
Actual surprise was that Linux could show positive growth compared to normalfag OSes like Windows and MacOS at all.

>Summer Sale happens
>Windows and Mac users all hop on Steam at the same time
>The proportion of Linux users decreases
Wow, it's fucking nothing

Now that Ubuntu is falling out of favour, what will be the prime distro to rule them all.

It needs that perfect combo of easy to install, good support, active community and enough money not to go tits up.

As someone who has been using Linux full time since 19.04 i've not been missing windows much. Though i might take a break for a little while because i have an itch to play some multiplayer games that sadly don't work due to anti-cheat shenanigans.

If i had multiple GPUs i think i'd legitimately put windows in a VM for gaming, might actually do that if i do a Ryzen 3000 build.

>Ubuntu are doing the right thing by forcing the issue.
They're not though.They've backed down and may end up stuck maintaining this shit until 2032, from what I've seen.

ubuntu isnt dropping 32 anymore

it's summer nigger. i spent the last month swimming in lakes and shit

>being that naive
yes they really are dropping 32-bit support. Valve announced that they are dumping Ubuntu has their primary supported platform and Fedora reached out to Valve asking if they could be the next Officially Supported Platform - and suddenly Ubuntu announced that there will be limited 32-bit support in the immediate _next_ version - with a small footnote making it absolutely clear that this next version will be the last one with any 32-bit support.

It's just delayed.

Linux is an os and programming is for trannies

To be honest i think it could be something perviously ubuntu based that Valve are going to reach out and assist them in switching to debian, as well as putting their development pathway into overdrive.

Is this what the retards crying about muuh loonix of the desktop year keep telling themselves so they can sleep at night?

More people would play on linux if most of the mainstream esports games didnt require windows because of anticheat. All you can play on linux is VAC games and some single player stuff, nothing big

>esports matters

To be fair, 99% of users on steam have Nvidia GPUs, and Nvidia is a complete bitch to use with Linux.

Why do you retarded niggers think that Linuxfriends want "the year of the Linux desktop"? I don't give a fuck how popular Linux is, I already have everything I want and it's going to be maintained anyway, doesn't matter how popular Linux is or stays.

My itch for PubG is and desire to play Insurgency Sandstorm is making me seriously consider going back to windows until the anti-cheat and DRM issues are resolved.

This. Linux being more popular would only make it more bloated, insecure and riddled with spyware. It would defeat the purpose of why most people use Linux in the first place. Not to mention more gay corporate CoC shit.

>until the anti-cheat and DRM issues are resolved
Enjoy you permanent welcome back to Windows then.

>reading any article that uses "zoomer" non-ironically
>thinking this doesn't make you a zoomer

This has already been debunked, even for gaming. Steam game adoption is actually going up on Linux, but non native titles played via wine/proton show up as Windows, except the built in Proton varient used in SteamPlay.

Linux is growing, gaming on Linux is also growing. Hell OSX gaming is falling to the point that Linux will soon be number 2 desktop gaming platforn

Javascript or the warning?

Pubg is infested with Chinese hacks and the company doesn't give a damn. Keep an eye on Apex Legends. It runs well in Proton technically, with easy anticheat being the only major issue. Many users have contacted the devs asking them to sort out Linux using players with wine/proton and they are looking into testing it and pushing EAC to get compliant

The mobile version has JavaScript which turns the title area into a search bar when you click the search icon. You don't really need that. There is also third party JavaScript from Google which tracks you and your family and shows an advertisement. You don't need that either. Thus; I removed the "no javascript" warning. You really don't need that warning, it's not like you are missing anything important if you disable JS on that site.

and AMD is better why?

back to v

it's because i don't use steam anymore

lol windows botnet!!!!

CUT MY LIFE INTO PIECES

Attached: 1548143876969.png (1197x79, 10K)

>dropped by 0.08%
Do you realize how fucking tiny that is?

Many reasons. AMDs gpu drivers on Linux are fantastic and almost fully open source. You can get actual 3D and 2D performance for gaming or browsing, using the open source driver. Better yet, the proprietary amdgpu-pro is something of a plug in atop the same open source codebase of amdgpu, so nobody has to maintain multiple !

Performance is equal or better than windows , even with features like freesync , in most cases. Some are vastly improved like open gl support - emulators with open gl for the moment until vulkan backends arrive play much better on Linux

that's a 10% loss

It's over lads

this, alll freetards together could surpass the botnet but they are so far up their asses it will never happen.
>muh 10 desktops
>muh 20 distributions
>thus muh 20 different libraries
>muh 5 package managers
>muh shared libraries
god fucking dammit what a piece of shit this community is
kill yourself retards

Faggots

>be 2020
>Microsoft buys up all other operating systems

You can now only use windows 10 or crapple.

What do?

not my fault you bought shit hardware.

It never had a start, when your 1% market share isn't really interested in proprietary games, or games at all for that matter.

>Everlasting Summer
wow Jow Forums gets its own game?

Discord's trying very hard, and I feel like they have a better chance of outsteaming Steam than other storefronts (you can already buy some games through Discord)

probably Manjaro, it's got the ease of install of Ubuntu coupled with Arch's god-tier documentation

>Fedora
oh man, I remember how much little kids struggled with Ubuntu when Steam for Linux first came out, I can't even imagine the circus that'll happen from Fedora becoming the go-to for loonix gaymen

if they are smart enough to use linux they sure as hell wouldn't be using steam. let alone buying games

Proofs?

It's so cheap for a 120/256 GB SSD it would make sense to install windows on a dedicated drive and swap it out when you get an itch for a game that isn't working through proton or natively

The linux desktop is simply unnecessary. I have 9 games on my linux laptop and they are all decent timekillers, none of which I needed steam for because the type of people that want to use linux usually don't want to use steam. If you need a desktop for work/processing power then you are either too busy to play AAA games anyways or is probably simply content with dual booting

Not to say I don't hope linux gaming takes off especially on steam, any less reason to take microcock is a good reason

I want to say fedora but answers to common problems aren't as easily searchable as they are for ubuntu and debian
plus fedora has this libssl.so problem regarding version issues and it makes me want to rip my cock right off

W7
>no ads in start menu
>updates do not override settings
>no forced updates
>does not use MS accounts for login
>no game DVR
>search actually works
>updates do not kill your hard drive or network
>changing defaults apps can be done by file type or by the app after an UAC check

W10
>ads everywhere, preinstalled shitty apps that you still have to buy to use
>cortana fucks your search
>forced updates
>updates override your configurations
>updates destroys your hard drive on the background
>updates uses your computer as a p2p peer fucking up your network
>game DVR clamps your graphics settings
>can't change default apps without going thought the new control panel
>2 control panels, both equally useless when it comes to updates

Admit it, Windows is dead for to tech literate people, they keep pushing more and more shit onto the users and not even pro/embedded/enterprise versions are safe, just compare how much control you had on W7 pro compared to W10 pro, now you have to use enterprise to get the same level of features.

Still doesn't prove what you said.

Gaben, the man responsible for people stealing free mods from others and charging for them, drops Linux support with false numbers because he can't make money from it.

Wow, almost like a scumbag salesman is upset he can't make money.

Linux is perfectly fine. Valve's latest garbage project to make money just wasn't scessfully so they lied about numbers as per usual