/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Do not dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: 1562094192920.png (2765x3541, 475K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Power_management
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/File_Picker_meme
gnu.org/software/guix/download/
gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Binary-Installation.html
lkml.org/lkml/2014/4/2/420
techrights.org/2019/06/29/ousting-linus-torvalds/
bpaste.net/raw/VH2o
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

404 general

I'm sure this has been talked about many times, but I'm unable to find satisfying information about it...
Could someone please give a quick rundown on what are the differences between distros? Answers that I often get are, that the differences aren't big and take place mostly in 'package management', but I don't really understand what that means.

My main question is: can a choice of distro straight up cut me off of some functionality, or will it be just harder to obtain? (something in the sense that maybe in Arch you can just type 'pacman install this' and somewhere it would take a longer process)

Also, what are specialized distros all about? Like 'data science' distros for example.. do they simply have some useful programs preinstalled or is there more to it?

Attached: 1559380927818.gif (220x220, 315K)

I'm currently running a debian server, but I also use it for browsing, programming, and listening to music. I have another unused machine. I was wondering if there are any benefits to having a standalone headless server AND a desktop on separate machines, both running debian (or some other linux distro).

>what are the differences between distros?
package management. That means the way that the system obtains and handles new and existing packages. For example, debian and ubuntu use apt-get to install things, arch uses pacman, etc. That's the main difference besides things like the actual configuration that goes into some of them like arch and gentoo. Read this for more details: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>can a choice of distro straight up cut me off of some functionality
If by that do you're asking whether a specific distro can limit whether or not you can install x package that is available to other distros, then the answer is no because you can compile it from source if there isn't an install file available for it.
>Also, what are specialized distros all about?
These are typically distros that come pre-loaded with specialized packages that are usually non-free. These packages can also be installed on any other distro.

Well what makes it so one computer can run a piece of software and another computer can't?
Other software.
It's the combination of software you currently have which determines what other software you can run and they also determine any "quirks" you might have that others don't when you install something new, since binaries end up being slightly different if they're compiled with slightly different build chains. (this is one of the major problems that Nix and Guix solve in an elegant way)

When people say the package manager is what separates one distro from another what they _really_ mean to say is that it's the _repository_ that separates them.
It's the pool of software that you download from that separates you from someone else who downloads from a different pool.
In theory 2 different package managers that download from the same pool might also be a little bit different but not as much (at least not any more than 2 users downloading from the same pool but at different times might have slightly different behaviors in their software [another problem solved by Nix and Guix]).
But the main factor is the source, the repository of software.

if you can't think if a use for a physically separate machine then you likely don't need one

Unless the server is really important to you, or gets a lot of traffic and you playing games is slowing down the server causing your users to complain or something, then I don't think it really matters.
A different machine isn't going to give you more bandwidth or anything. Just more stability (in terms of resource usage and also software since the server likely has less overall dependencies than your desktop software).

Redpill me on Guix bros. Is it worth? Considering installijv it instead of gentoo.

installing*

in windows, you can copy and paste an image link directly into the path when posting an image. i.e. you don't have to download the picture to your pictures folder and click it.
is there a way of doing this in osx/linux?

no-one has been able to answer this question.

I really need to just save a copypasta or screencap for this question. There's too much to have to keep writing it over and over.
Maybe I'll fish something out of the archive and post it later.

is echo New_Name >> /etc/hostname enough or it needs a reboot

I was using nano to edit some config files and when trying to cut some text the whole thing stopped working. The pointer still idles but no input seems to do anything. Using arch btw.

Not a full reboot.
Just restart the network stack and you should be good.

Thanks guys. I currently only use this as a seedox, SFTP, SSH, plex, and subsonic server. I mainly just wanted something that is headless and runs in the background without me having to do anything to it while I have another machine to browse but I guess it isn't worth it since these features are working just fine and I'm not going to get more bandwidth by having two separate machines.
Do you guys have any suggestions for other cool shit I could/should do with my server besides what I already do? I've been trying to think of more use cases since I might as well get some use out of a running server.

windows actually downloads the image locally in a temp dir then reuploads from there

i'm sure you can script this easily

Attached: 1562094487060.jpg (391x311, 38K)

try pressing ctrl-q, ctrl-s pauses locks most terminals and it's easy to misclick

>osx/linux
GNU/Linux*

Attached: 1549552483922.jpg (526x300, 31K)

posting low quality pepes from search engine results is poor form
please don't do this

> >>
That appends. Use > to write.

It's not working. I checked the process in another session and it looks fine.

Our standard filepicker (the GTK filepicker) is fucking trash and we all know it. Of course there's also the thumbnail issue which I'm sure you're already aware.

The closest you can get to what you want would be to copy the URL, then hit a hotkey which runs a script to save the image to /tmp and also inject the new location in /tmp into your clipboard, then in the file upload box you'd hit Ctrl+L to display the address bar and paste into it.

So that's 2 extra hotkeys. Of course if you could enable the address bar permanently then it'd be only 1, but I don't know how to do that and wouldn't be surprised if there's no way to do it since the GTK devs really don't give a shit about you or me.

kill it with fire
you get to run programs again
neat, huh?

Attached: 1561385423234.jpg (634x635, 181K)

I cant get firefox to stop eating ram and not letting go of it.
It is currently using 14.2GB of 16GB and it is effecting the rest of my system.
Windows lag when opening and closing or being moved. No other program can run for more then a few minutes before its killed because of oom.

I've tried using ulimit and cgroups and systemd slices, but those dont seem to work on the child forms mainly "Web Content" that firefox creates which is what is using the most ram

Is there seriously nothing i can do to tame firefox?

is gnu/loonix less energy consuming than windows? i want to program on a plane and my laptop's battery isn't exactly in the best state by now. antergos is my distro

>antergos
aka lazy arch user
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Power_management

I'm dualbooting Arch Linux and Windows 10.
For some reason, I have no sound. This seems to be an issue among a lot of dual-booters, and from what I've been reading the past 3 days, it seems there is no known solution.
Anyone up for the challenge?

lspci yields: (See below)

(Continued from above)

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v6/7th Gen Core Processor Host Bridge/DRAM Registers (rev 08)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation UHD Graphics 620 (rev 07)
00:04.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v5/E3-1500 v5/6th Gen Core Processor Thermal
Subsystem (rev 08)
00:13.0 Non-VGA unclassified device: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP Integrated Sensor Hub (rev 21)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP USB 3.0 xHCI Controller (rev 21)
00:14.2 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP Thermal subsystem (rev 21)
00:15.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP Serial IO I2C Controller #0 (rev 21)
00:15.1 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP Serial IO I2C Controller #1 (rev 21)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP CSME HECI #1 (rev 21)
00:17.0 SATA controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 21)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP PCI Express Root Port #1 (rev f1)
00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP PCI Express Root Port #6 (rev f1)
00:1e.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP Serial IO UART Controller #0 (rev 21)
00:1e.2 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP Serial IO SPI Controller #0 (rev 21)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point LPC Controller/eSPI Controller (rev 21)
00:1f.2 Memory controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP PMC (rev 21)
00:1f.3 Audio device: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio (rev 21)
00:1f.4 SMBus: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP SMBus (rev 21)
02:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless 8265 / 8275 (rev 78)

install ubuntu

thanks

kinda yeah, I plan on switching to Arch this month though, now I'm a little more used to Linux. thanks, I'll give that a look

>still being Microsoft's bitch

It’s unfortunate. Sadly, I have a job.

I use rsync to maintain my backups. I use it to basically update the target with new files and delete files that have been deleted from the source. Problem is it doesn't seem to update files that have been changed on the source. For example if I modify a spreadsheet and run rsync, the old file remains on the target. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

rsync -r -t -v --progress --delete --ignore-existing -s /source/ /target/

anyone here use nix? I've just installed and I'm trying to make my basic system with plasma. I added these lines to the configuration.nix but I'm getting an error on rebuild unexpected '=', expecting $end. have I missed something? I got this before during install when I forgot a ; but it looks all there to me

Attached: IMG_20190703_104405.jpg (2660x1119, 701K)

i3 seems to hardcode its own terminal in its config file, how can I make it use my terminal, rxvt? I don't mind not having an elegant solution like reading the default I've set somewhere else, but I've tried both ```exec rxvt``` and ```rxvt``` as replacements for ```exec i3-simple-terminal``` and no matter what I do the keybind does nothing

You don't want --ignore-existing

Why the fuck doesn't a program exist to make an android tablet or iPad a second monitor in Linux through USB?

I don't always have internet. This exists on Windows. Tell me how to do this on Linux and I'll convert . I don't need touch, I just need it to be another monitor/screen. No, not remoting an actual extended desktop

oh shit. thanks!!

rebooted and now it says "unexpected $end" (I didn't change anything) and commenting out my lines shows the same error

GNU/Linux*

Hey all this is something relatively insignificant I've never bothered to look into for years, but how do I get the preview file selector screen to display thumbnails in the same way they do when opening Caja by itself?

Basically, when I open it in any setting other than uploading files I get full sized thumbnails but when uploading files (like on Jow Forums numerous times per day) I have tiny thumbnails that only preview one at a time which makes choosing meme reaction images a little harder than it probably should be

Attached: 1532148718388.png (610x689, 168K)

Compared to when I open it in other settings. Far more preferable

Attached: 1549339026542.png (546x470, 146K)

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/File_Picker_meme

Well that's dumb
So the KDE Plasma Desktop Environment is the only way around this shit?

where can i get crypto with out giving them my id? can't i buy with cash or something

Is dolphin seriously the only file manager with folder previews?

There's kiosks which will sell you crypto for cash, in my city at least.

Local bitcoins lets you use paypal

just use manjaro for dual boot like me friend
the only thing bad about it is the logo

Please direct your hatred to the shitty GTK and Redhat developers (who are a literal "my way or the highway" cancer the likes of which even Linus Torvalds has banned from contributing), and don't let this sour your opinion of GNU/Linux as a whole.

What are any pros and cons to using Void over Debian? I'm thinking of switching over.
My priorities:
>Need to spin up new systems with my configs quickly
>Would prefer Void to feel like Debian but without the extra fat
>Need latest proprietary drivers
>How does compatability look?

Also is there any reason to use dwm over Xfce? I heard it's lighter but I'm not sure if I want to switch.

I don’t wanna give up lul
Is Arch incapable of dual-boot?

>any reason to use dwm over Xfce?
20 year old PC or autism

I think I'll just go with this for now

Attached: guix-benefits.png (1216x703, 145K)

So basically it doesn't matter at all? Not even in terms of aesthetics?

Can someone help me? PulseAudio seems to be functioning properly. It’s detecting my sound card and everything, and is convinced it’s outputting audio, when it’s really not...

Someone...please?

Attached: C3932C60-8F73-4E5D-A332-7BCBB8A1B864.png (500x500, 63K)

fixed. cleaned up everything, nicely commented and redid the { }s

Turn your speakers on

>this is one of the major problems that Nix and Guix solve in an elegant way
I've been interested in installing Guix ever since it first got released.
In what way is its package manager different? Is there a brainlet-proof way of installing it?

I'm dual-booting Arch on my desktop and my chromebook with no issues.

They're on, sadly

Unrelated, I just picked Manjaro as my babby's first Linux, is this awesome y/n?

Attached: zamurai_lobsterface.jpg (172x153, 24K)

So it's possible! Can you help me?
envy24control returns this:
(envy24control:6524): Gtk-WARNING
e to locate theme engine in module

(envy24control:6524): Gtk-WARNING
e to locate theme engine in module
No ICE1712 cards found

Solved the issue!

Is it possible to give grub an OS to boot into, just for the next boot?
My grub by default boots into loonix if I don't chose anything. It would be nice if I could run a command before rebooting which rebooted me into Windows with no interaction, so I can go for a piss without waiting for the grub screen to pop up.

Fuck this, I'm going back to arch linux. I thought I would try OpenSuse because it's "backed by a company" and I heard KDE was good on it. KDE was way better on my Arch install.
Thought Arch was a meme, but this is the third time I'm coming back.

>In what way is its package manager different?
see But specifically in regard to the part of the post you quoted where I wrote:
>since binaries end up being slightly different if they're compiled with slightly different build chains. (this is one of the major problems that Nix and Guix solve in an elegant way)
the way they're different is that they guarantee the build chain is exactly the same. Every package is installed with a name that contains the cryptographic hash of itself and everything in its build chain. That way if you change anything in the entire chain, or any aspect of the package itself it gets installed under a new name. Because everything is built from source and they have their own special linkers every piece of software in their repos is built with this new linking system.
So it allows multiple versions of packages to co-exist perfectly without any conflicts whatsoever, and two builds on two different machines that have the same hash are always going to be identical (bit-for-fucking-bit identical, or at least that's the goal, some packages still aren't bitwise identical but they're considered bugs that need to be sorted out).

>Is there a brainlet-proof way of installing it?
Yes, because Guix can _build_ fully self-contained packages that can be run on any distro even without Guix installed, the maintainers use Guix to build Guix itself as a fully self-contained package. So you don't need it to be available through your distros package manager, you can just go here: gnu.org/software/guix/download/
and grab the (3rd option) GNU Guix 1.0.1 Binary
and right under the download is a link to instructions on setting it up.

Oh forgot to mention that on the instructions page: gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Binary-Installation.html
if you want, there is even a shell script that automates the entire thing for you.
Of course if you don't trust the script then feel free to do the instructions on the page manually. But the script is the extra "brainlet-proof" way to install it.

the only easy solution is to drag-drop from your file manager

>even Linus Torvalds has banned
go on

4 chan x

no the gtk 'filepicker' isn't fucking trash - it has type to search and supports dropping
if you aren't retards you'll set sort to modified so just downloaded pics are already selected when you open it

Opensuse is good but a bit "heavy". I always felt Arch and Debian out of the main distros are the lighter ones regarding your pc resources especially if they're not brand new computers.

firefox eating ram depends on the CONTENT
that said you could limit the virtual memory with firejail --rlimit-as=3000000000

have you checked if it's muted

lkml.org/lkml/2014/4/2/420
In fact, I think I should probably save a screencap of this.
>Let distributions merge it as they need to
>But I'm not willing to merge something where the maintainer is known
to not care about bugs and regressions and then forces people in other
projects to fix their project.

Note that Torvalds is stating the problem just from his perspective of merging into the kernel. But if you read between the lines you can see that what the developer is really doing is aggressively trying to merge stuff, even causing breakage, in an attempt to force change to happen HIS way.
It's not just negligence, the developer is breaking shit on purpose. That's how Redhat operates, and that's how systemd became the giant it is today. Every distro didn't adopt it because they liked it. They had no choice.

And if you think I'm being too paranoid about their intentions, here's Poettering himself (pic related) literally stating outright that pushing distros to do what they want is their intent:
>Well, it is definitely our intention to gently push the distributions in the same direction so that they stop supporting deviating solutions
>SO THAT THEY STOP SUPPORTING DEVIATING SOLUTIONS
Who the fuck do they think they are to decide what direction everyone should be going in?
Honestly my biggest complaint about systemd is starting to just be that its developed by these fucks.
I'm not against businesses, but lets be honest here. Although their business is rooted in open source software services that will never change the fact that it is BETTER for their business to take control of everything. And if anyone thinks they aren't going to be trying to do that then they're being incredibly ignorant. Redhat wants to take control and in my opinion that is the #1 reason systemd even exists. It's not because they wanted to give you something nice.

Attached: 1540689412451.png (844x717, 34K)

>Every distro didn't adopt it because they liked it. They had no choice.
wrong

it was simply and purely laziness

techrights.org/2019/06/29/ousting-linus-torvalds/

This was a nice read, thoughts? Hurd when?

how to set up simple email ?
>postfix ubuntu and namecheap
what am i missing?
bpaste.net/raw/VH2o

Then why does every non-systemd distro right now use eudev instead of udev?
Because they HAVE to, and eudev wouldn't even exist if it wasn't for the hard work of the Gentoo devs.
Get your facts straight.
If it weren't for the eudev fork then systemd would have basically succeeded in infiltrating essentially EVERY distro.

It's a regular old
>and I would have gotten away with it too if it weren't for you meddling kids
situation. Thank you Gentoo devs for meddling.

>Get your facts straight.
retard

Good post. You've convinced me I'm wrong now. Sorry for wasting your time.

if you read the previous posts again you will you are wrong, no need to be smug about being a retard

I already said you've convinced me. No need to keep posting.

here let me help you, this post of yours makes no sense as a follow up to the previous the decision to use systemd does not == the consequence of it
fucking retard

is there any way to tell which DirectX version is supported on my iGPU on linux? I know I am asking for much

Is Arch worth trying? I need newer kernels for my hardware, but I fear that it would crash.

Attached: 1560601626296.jpg (500x371, 102K)

great distro you have there
can't even check for a package

Attached: 1540710889336.png (1140x409, 15K)

DirectX is not available on linux

yes but not in a vm

yeah any spec website

it is with mesa and vulkan

the thing is im not sure whether or not intel HD 2000 supports dx11, some fuckers on forums say it presumably is achievable with drivers update
i know right

lol wut? No it isn't.
Vulkan is a totally different thing which isn't related to DX in any way.
Perhaps you're thinking of DXVK? Which translates DX into vulkan.

If that's the case then the answer to your question is if your iGPU can run vulkan then it doesn't matter what version of DX your iGPU natively supports, because you're not running DX you're running vulkan. So for example if your iGPU doesn't support DX12 but DXVK can translate DX12 (I don't know if it can or not) then your iGPU could run DX12 code through DXVK.
Hopefully I explained that right, might sound confusing.

what about galium9

I don't know anything about that. It's only through wine though right?
I suppose it's possible there could be some special wine code that requires certain GPU's. It's the first I'd be hearing about it.

So I can boot into my desktop again, but the GRUB terminal comes up on boot and sudo update-grub did nothing.

What do I need to do?

Disk /dev/nvme0n1: 477 GiB, 512110190592 bytes, 1000215216 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: gpt
Disk identifier: 74A76135-781B-402D-A22D-D3B778ED9E78

Device Start End Sectors Size Type
/dev/nvme0n1p1 2048 204799 202752 99M EFI System
/dev/nvme0n1p6 204800 1000214527 1000009728 476.9G Linux filesystem

Is the output of my fdisk if that helps.

>added extra space
FUCK
nb4 "reddit spacing xd"

You boot into your desktop and then a grub terminal pops up?
I have no idea what this means

I boot, I get grub terminal, and I enter some shit to get into my desktop.
I want to boot straight to desktop.