Let's settle it once and for all

Let's settle it once and for all.

Is it worth getting CS degree in 2019?

Attached: story-20170113165507-kwk-hero-image-670x447_resized_670x447.jpg (670x447, 151K)

Yes, imagine if you got a CE or god forbid EE degree. People shit on CS but its infinitely better than engineering degrees

Attached: 1561704427633.png (970x2048, 1002K)

Is it worth getting CS degree if you live in a country where 4GB is considered high-end?

No unless you want to waste away your life in a code monkey job that you will have to compete for with 20000 other people.

>t. failed engineering so I went into CS
CE and EE are both memes just like CS, actual engineering isn't.

You can't be certified as a professional engineer without completing an approved engineering degree. You can, however, be a programmer without completing a CS degree.

do you have any contacts in the industry? no? then don't bother. t. neet

CS/CE/EE will all get you past HR resume screening and into a graduate program.

Which is the only purpose of a degree in 2019.

If you can get into a top tier university then sure, you might have a shot at a very high paying job / ending up in the top 1% of academia.
But if it's a second rate university you're better off with a MOOC and odd jobs to keep afloat while you study.

>a programmer without completing a CS degree
Sure but a fag with CE or EE isnt going to design software. They are the monkies

The point is that you shouldn't go to school unless the degree you get is a hard barrier into the job you want. I can read about nursing skills every day for a year, but in the end I can't work as a nurse without the degree.

CS doesn't teach software design to any useful level, and in fact most CS graduates are awful programmers.

CS CE and EE are all literally code monkeying with a degree.

>EE
>not actual engineering
Failed out of your program I see

Honestly though unless you're a non-white/asian male or female, any area of engineering is a debt sentence these days. We already have too many engineers, and companies can get an H-1B Indian with a master's for 60% of the cost of an American with a bachelor's.

Source: studied EE, not working in engineering, loooots of engineer friends.

Why does she look so much like the Neo God Programmer, Jon Blow?

Attached: jonblow[1].png (508x706, 607K)

What isnt a debt sentence then? Law school is. Theres a glut i MBAs and econs

STEM bubble was popping 3 years ago, but Jow Forums didn't want to believe it back then
Now its really sinking in and you can see it in this thread
Hell for the hard engineering fields (mechanical, electrical, civil), it was common knowledge even back in the 60's-70's that you NEEDED to get into management before you got to a certain age, because even back then a company would just replace you eventually with some new cheapo grad.

Employment in America has been fucked for a long time. The highly regulated professions, like law and medicine, or highly intellectual, arcane shit like crypto investing, or grifter shit like finance are the only ways to make a reliable income these days if you are a cis white male.

>What isnt a debt sentence then?
Choosing a degree that isn't memed to hell and back. Anyone going into CS/EE/CE is just getting what they deserve for making piss poor life decisions. Or picking up trades which are making tons of money.

>highly intellectual, arcane shit like crypto investing, or grifter shit like finance
That is literally the grandfather of burning out young and getting replaced by hundreds of fresh grads looking to make it big.

>and companies can get an H-1B Indian with a master's for 60% of the cost of an American with a bachelor's

You do not want to work at a company that makes decisions like that. 90% of H-1Bs are fucking useless.

>You do not want to work at a company that makes decisions like that.

Well thats the problem isn't it? So many companies ARE like that.

The Virgin CS Degree vs. the Chad CS Degree with Internships and Personal Projects

Define meme and post stats

Yes. From a reputable school.

The resources a university can provide a bright student are worth the investment. Plus, life is about who you know and college is one of the best places to forge relationships that will benefit you for the rest of your life.

If you're not that smart or are an unlikable person who cannot make friends or charm a room, then you should stay on Jow Forums and do not waste your money on going to college. You will get nothing out of it.

What resources is a university going to provide a CS student that they can't find online or in a book nowadays?

Connections which is more important and worth infinitely more than any book you read or course you take.
I read 80+ books, aced all my courses and only got a job once I started networking.

getting you a job at Boeing or some other high up company or organization because they feel obligated to because you took classes together or some shit
that's literally it

>Boeing
>9 dollars
kek

Internships, tutors, laboratories, software, professors, super computers, fellow students, etc.

how big are your tits and for how long have you been on hrt?

>Connections

Right, it'll get you into that first graduate position, but that's all university is good for anyway.

A bright student shouldn't need help to learn CS given the masses of information and software that are readily available elsewhere. And a multi socket or distributed system isn't necessary 99.99% of the time.

yes. go to college and make some friends. maybe you'll get a gf too

>maybe you'll get a gf too

Steady on user

I will agree with you that self study is definitely a valid avenue to learning a new thing but there is much more to a career in the computer field than just technical expertise.

You learn more than just CS in college. Soft skills are very important and college is a good place to develop them. Being a normal, cultured and pleasant human is critical to landing and keeping jobs.

>is critical to landing and keeping jobs
Not to forget it being the largest obstacle between being stuck in a entry level job forever and advancing professionally.

So I'm slightly stoned, and I thought you guys drew a low HP healthbar above her head, representing her low IQ

>Being a normal, cultured and pleasant human is critical to landing and keeping jobs.

90% of it is just about making a conscious effort not be a cunt.

>a fag with CE or EE isnt going to design software.
user who has a CE degree and designs software for a living here, I call bullshit.

i like this

Broad Engineering curriculum, with loads of maths, managment courses, mechanical engineering coupled with electrical engineering will take you places. That is, if you're able to behave, communicate, and lead.

and CS or CSE aren't engineering but these are needed valuable degrees with different carreer paths

If you want a MBA then why bother with the engineering at all?

Attached: 1540823897183.jpg (2544x4000, 906K)

yes, if you're so insecure about what degree you get just get a master's degree in something afterwards

This

>settle it once and for all.
Who are you kidding? Do you know which part of the internet you are in?

got a 2 yr tech degree and probably making more than 90% of you CS fags

Get the cheapest cs degree you can, don't think getting an ivy league cs degree will solve all your problems

>t. cornellian
>inb4 bottom quartile ivy
fuck you

Cornelia is ivy?

>What isnt a debt sentence then?
Not being a white or asian male

or

Having a connection (friend, family member, etc) already in a managerial position at an engineering/tech company if you're going the STEM route

or

Having a trust fund. The door is almost closed for families that aren't already wealthy.

>keeps ragging on CS/EE/CE specifically
You must be really bitter about not getting in, or getting dropped. Your prospects aren't any different in any other engineering or technology degree, the sole exception being petroleum engineering (which is just specialized chemical engineering) because oil companies don't yet give a fuck about "diversity" because they're making so much god damn money.

Oh absolutely, the problem is the majority of companies are at least partially replacing their native workforce with H-1Bs. You can choose not to work at those companies, but that limits your pool to less than 15% of what it was, in an already completely fucked job market.

>he wants a job as a programmer
That's not how you do it. You go into IT and do programming shit on the side. Pays more and is lot more stable then the mostly contract shit you'd be getting with software jobs.
>sit on your ass all day
>ocassionally get up to look at servers or solve some retarded issue a normie is having, most likely just requires a reboot or some shit
>in between being a lazy oaf you can do programming

I wish I did CE instead as that seems way more interesting. I'm stuck code monkeying right now, not sure where to go from here

Why is she using the white power hand gesture.

Threads like these made me realize that I'm also an outlier even on Jow Forums. I thought the majority here are socially inept, autistic NEET guys. Was it all just meme?

are we in an age that branding is more important than technical skills, experience, wisdom and correct behavior? granted, branding is a skill too but...

40K for a girlfriend is a little too much, user. An entry level high class prostitute can be at most 1k and you don't have to taker her personal bullshit.

I changed from CE to math but I do remember my intro to EECE professor going over the requirements for being a professional engineer certifications. Hardly anyone that graduates in CE goes for it, it's like five additional years of professional experience and postgraduate testing, and most places only need a few relative to the amount of engineering workers that aren't certified.

>CE not engineering
>EE not engineering

Nice bait