Apply new thermal paste

>apply new thermal paste
>cpu now 15°c hotter always

the fuck? that wasn't the plan... what did I do wrong? applied too much?

Attached: 62c3ae5069d9ef64887aebb35cff507c_XL.jpg (1200x675, 121K)

Too much makes almost no difference. Maybe the cooler is mounted crooked and not actually making flush contact with the processor because it's caught on the brace in some way? Just remount it and check whether the problem persists.

I did :( was getting 'CPU heat error' and couldn't boot before. Then I made sure it's attached properly, but now my heat is way over the top. fml

Might need time to cure or you installed the cooler wrong

you fucked it up

That's not true at all. Too much thermal paste will cause temps to go up.

I'm probably going to shop for a new cooler, as I keep reading everywhere the intel stock coolers are trash and that definitely rings true in my experience (the stupid push pins break making it so the cooler lacks pressure against the cpu).

my only concern here: how do I ensure my new cooler won't 'overloard' my power unit?

>time to cure

Is that a thing? How much time do I need to give it?

possibly.

Slightly. But most excess will be squeezed out the side when you tighten the cooler.

>my only concern here: how do I ensure my new cooler won't 'overloard' my power unit?

Is this a prebuilt? If your PSU doesn't have enough headroom to accommodate a couple of fans then...yeah idk, must be a pos.

Coolers don't overload anything. Almost all fans use roughly the same amount of electricity, and other than that how well it cools is down to the size and design of the cooler. Intel's coolers aren't shit because they're "low power", they're shit because they're tiny and aluminum to save cosst.

What you actually need to look out for is whether a new cooler will fit your socket (google your CPU to find out what socket it uses), and whether extremely large coolers may collide with your RAM sticks or not fit into your case in their height, but even those things are only a concern in a few exceptional cases.

no mention of component, what thermal paste, or what cooler.

imagine using a """liquid""" to dissipate heat

Attached: 1561742793887.jpg (460x339, 28K)

sweet. ordering a evo somethingsomething 212 as we speak. i checked for size compatibility earlier and it's perfectly fine. some user in another thread said he fried his pc after upgrading cooler though and said i should watch out for that, which is why I asked.

cooler is i5-2500k stock (garbo) cooler with one pin broken already (but worked fine until i tried reapplying thermal paste)

the paste is arctic MX-2, replacing the (stock) paste i applied back in... 2011 or so when i built this thing

Not by 15C unless you've gone and emptied the whole syringe.

so i just took it apart and scraped off a whole lot of the paste, squeezed that fucker down mighty tight and ensure there's only a very thin layer...

it's booting now and in the bios it showed 41°c which is pretty good based on my prior experience... let's see...

still around 40° at idle in windows and 50° when i start doing stuff. gaming will probably put it at 70 or so but that's still an improvement.

case closed bros, thanks a lot.

i just sucked at applying thermal paste. makes me wonder how i managed to apply it well the first time about a decade ago.

good
the paste is only meant to fill microscopic surface imperfections where air (worse conductor than liquid) pockets are

Attached: 1561896311662.jpg (1024x576, 413K)

y that's very good to know. on my very first application i applied it under the assumption that... the more the better lol.

delid ur cpu and get 1-2g of thermal grizzly conductonaut, apply both on IHS and under IHS, or stop browsing Jow Forums

>CPU at 70°
>apply thermal paste
>CPU now at 31°
thank u thermal paste

Attached: 1559622102473.jpg (750x693, 396K)

Summertime on Jow Forums

Attached: thermal_paste_yes.gif (500x500, 2.51M)