What does Jow Forums think of AutoCAD?

Is it a good software?

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 168K)

>proprietary
>is it good?
No.

from what I've seen, only shops with a big AutoCAD legacy stick with it, most places have moved onto other tools

It's slow and bloated and it works like shit. It installs like 10 programs on your PC, only works on windows, basically requires you to go to school for it, and it just sucks. Use libreCAD, and if you need 3D, use sketchup.

extremely gay. but im struggling to remember when that software wasn't.

>basically requires you to go to school for it
you know you're retarded when this happens.

It's boomersoft. I can't speak for architectural stuff, but for machined/moulded/fabricated parts it's inferior to just about every alternative.

just amazes me how people were able to build all sorts of shit without this proprietary bullshit or computers whatsoever

I agree, it's boomerware. It performs like turd, especially Solidworks. Unfortunately it's still the industry standard (like anything from Corel) so you have to suck it up and adapt. Otherwise Fusion360 is way superior for most tasks.
Name a freetard alternative that's worth anyones time

LibreCAD is kinda janky... Sketchup is alright but in it's Pro version which isn't free.

AutoCAD and other Autodesk BIM software are industry standard software for construction and design.

Anyone who claims otherwise is a fucking idiot.

>Use libreCAD
I expected this exact breed of delusion to appear ITT, you did not disappoint me Jow Forums.

proprietary software can be good

SolidEdge, mate
AutoShit is 90's tech

No love for FreeCAD? I mean is it Blender tier? No, but it is getting there. The work bench interface is a bit strange at first but it has real capability. One thing I have learned talking to old school engineers about CAD is that the tool matters little compared to actually using ANY tool to learn design and structure. Care about tools when you are working on a team and need to collaborate.

>most places have moved onto other tools
Such as? News to me.

From what I have seen big companies use it because they grandfather'd in a good contract. Otherwise the standard has been shifting towards Soidworks and friends. They are both shitty but necessary in their ways. If you must use either than use whatever you can easily pirate or your company uses.

Where is that? Here in Europe AutoCad seems still popular.

I can't call it good, but it is the best in it's field.
t. Architecture/Engineering firm

I work for a company that does specialty laser cutting. These enormous Trumpf fiber lasers run an embedded version of Windows and basically only read .dxf files from AutoCAD so by default its what we've used for years.

America and French speaking nations.

>construction and design.
>t. Architecture/Engineering firm
Did I go back in time? Revit is the new standard -- if an Architect is using AutoCAD we tell them to fuck right off.
t. Engineering firm that works with architects

no offense user, but while there MIGHT be some free alternative for BIM projects, autocad has literally no rival
even studios that absolutely hate autodesk still use it, theres no alternative
also it doesnt install shit if you're careful during the install

I use A+Cad. Anyone else?

It's good for 2D, terrible for 3D, I still have nightmares from Acad Electrical and non intuitive 3D extrusion/cuts. I prefer Solidworks for 3D, and fusion 360 for cad/cam.
I've studied acad in uni and I've been assisting teaching acad and acad electrical in uni as student demonstrator, never used it for anything else tho.

It's horrible, unintuitive shit that runs like ass. I took a cad class and absolutely hated it beyond all words.

I don't like it for 2D architecture, it's just too steep of a learning curve to achieve what I can already do with specialized software.

Sucks that they don't want to try and port it to Linux.

I've been looking at BricsCad suite as a alternative for work.
BricsCad-BIM specifically.

It supports the same filetype and they have a Linux troubleshooting team.

I did lot's of subcontracted cadmonkey freelancing fresh out of college, early 2000's, never thought I'd see the day they would be shunned by anyone,e specially by bigger companies. Kinda sad now.

What is freelancing? How do you do freelancing as a cad worker?

If all you want to do is put down lines and have no interest in the 3d modelling bits of Revit? No, but it's better than Revit.
If you need the 3d modelling bits of Revit? Fuck no, and it's still better than Revit.

This, unfortunately.

Also this, even more unfortunately.

?
knew a lot of engineers, they worked for w/e and they said, that user knows his acad stuff, hook him up. did mostly architectural and decoration blueprints for small firms and randos though.

I know a lot of autocad, what is the best way of getting in touch with engineers that are willing to give freelancing work? Are there job postings on websites that will give freelance work?

I refused electronics/electrical anything though. Even though they were all 2d simple jobs apparently my brain couldn't deal with them pesky symbols.

This just looks like AutoCAD with some bullshit on top.

Attached: 1552631147220.png (1920x1080, 1.8M)

I started with engineering friends hooking me up to fix their own fuckups or to meet deadlines, off the books kind of stuff, then I grew a reputation and started to be requested by randos. The architect that renewed my house back then also started hooking me up with her friends after I did my own house, revising and redoing her job and doing it properly. Payment was always very iffy. I'd would have some architect paying 1k for one house blueprint, and big firms telling me to do an entire condo complex for 50 bucks - from scratch. probably interns that heard of me and were trying to save on 50k+ contracts with real cad offices. there were so many of them though, I was always a bit paranoid about that.

always promote yourself within the standards. Make sure to sign the technical drawings and bitch when some idiot recently hired engineer edit it out of the file. there was a trick I used when dealing with people I didn't like much. But I basically I exported the .dwg to the plotter and delivered the extracted plot file (what was it called?), they could navigate it just fine but any modifications would have to be done in the .dwg which I kept to myself. They could plot, rescale, rearrange viewports just fine, but on 3d drawings it could become quite messy to edit anything.

no, you extract the plt (?) file and save it as .dwg. haven't fired acad in over 15 years, so i'm not entirely sure exactly how it was done.

How do you not know revit? I was using it in school literally over a decade ago

It is good. AutoDesk are assholes, ported shit to Mac, which is rarely uses, but won't port to Linux.

>what is the best way of getting in touch with engineers
hard liquor bars

no command line

Attached: Yl07MpM.png (1150x400, 1.32M)

Rhino + Grasshopper is superior

Attached: 1554355183322.jpg (2255x2915, 1.18M)

>Rhino
my nigger
but I don't think it has much marketshare

i dont understand who use that shit?
if gimp exists

top zozzle
>here's your plans bro

Attached: property_plan_01.jpg (441x350, 37K)

>and other Autodesk BIM software
Revit falls into that category.

There's other non-Autodesk BIM software as well but they're used strictly on a firm by firm basis.

Companies still use Autocad solely because some companies employ hundreds if not thousands of architects/engineers and they couldn't be arsed to spend a decent office PC for each individual. Autocad can run on older setups, while a Revit/3DSMax rig will require workstation level stuff.

I once worked for a large architectural firm, they give away boomer prebuilt 2700k + GTX400-600 series to newcomers and apprentices while the real desk monkeys who actually do stuff have the latest i7s, Quadros (sometimes 80 series cards or Titans) or entry level Xeons.

You need a decent PC to run this

Once you actually start putting down everything most toasters will go to shit and on big projects everything becomes a slow mess

Autodesk is also not optimized for AMD so you're not getting your money's worth even if you went Ryzen or Threadripper

I just use freecad like a dummy
for 3d printing, fuck houses

freecad is way better than autocad & librecad
fuck them both

Hey cadfags. Show me how to scale something on one axis

Attached: images.jpg (500x375, 15K)

solidworks is 3d

>Got put on a CAD project in the first few weeks of starting an internship
>First big project I'm put on
>Contribute to it for over three weeks before it goes out the door
>Get put on a Revit project right afterwards
>mfw having to click on buttons in the ribbon like a monkey instead of just typing command line shit like I'd gotten used to
It's not even that good, it's just that Revit is that much worse without it, and you don't even realize how much you miss it until it's gone.

Attached: puke.png (444x444, 112K)

In catia you can constrain your geometry with formulas, if you want to you can set it up so one plane acts like a slider and scales everything. Or use some excel sheet to do it. That's probably a thing in other cad-programs too