Is it true that you must know Computer Networks to be professional programmer...

Is it true that you must know Computer Networks to be professional programmer? For example my prof said you need CN for DevOps work

Attached: lain ip protocol.png (1078x684, 1.29M)

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/net/Socket.html
docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/api/system.net.sockets.socket?view=netframework-4.8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What does "Computer Networks" mean?

I mean you *should* know networking if you plan on doing anything network related, which means if you end up doing backend work you'll have to sorta know it. But not really in detail, nobody gives a fuck how routers send each individual packets through the backbone

For some programming languages, networking is a good chunk of it, but you don't need it to be able to program properly

TCP/IP Routing on straight Cisco routers, for example ping R1 to R4 dont work so you need to enable RIP on Routers. Guy said that all applications are online nowadays, so programmers needs to know stuff like that

You should know how a DNS works. You should know surface level how an IP resolves. You should know what a CIDR is, and what iptables is.

Attached: me_five_seconds_previous_to_posting_this.png (838x1244, 725K)

Why is Lain standing in front of a fishnet stockings-wearing stripper?

"DevOps" refers to system administration, usually of web servers and associated systems for development. Yeah, for that you'd need to have at least basic knowledge of "Computer Networks." Depending on the size of company you work for, or more specifically, how much work on networking and security is delegated to other people, you'll need to know more or less about networking. If you work for a small company where you are the sole person that manages the servers, you'll need to know a fair bit about networking and security. If you work at a larger company where networking and security is delegated, then you basically only need to know enough to not break stuff.

The fact that you say "must know Computer Networks" and conflate programming with Devops means to me that you don't even know what you're getting into. If you just want to be a code monkey then ignore "Computer Networks" and "DevOps" and learn javascript, otherwise, you need to start reading more about how computer applications work so you can understand all the layers and how they connect.

Depends what part of the application you are building. Most developers don't actually touch networking low level code, it gets managed by libraries and the OS, you only need to worry about that stuff if your application needs high performance/efficiency. Keep in mind that your professor has outdated information and if he was good enough he probably wouldn't be a professor, since you're out of highschool you should realize by now that 80% of learning is done by you, professors are just there to guide you in the right direction.

>You should know how a DNS works. You should know surface level how an IP resolves. You should know what a CIDR is, and what iptables is.
basically this

in other words, if your professor says something, do the damn learning yourself, read the supplied material and use the internet, you should be capable at this point of solving the questions such as the one you posed in the OP (unless you just barely started school, but even then, most developers start self teaching before school)

Well, hell yes. I'm sick tired of "webdevs" that don't know the first thing about TCP or DNS

this.

you should know networking, OP. it's not hard, it's just boring.

It does not hurt to learn

Even writing software that hits the OS or low level libraries like pcap is unlikely. There's almost never a point because it's already been done and probably better than you'll have time for/ be able to do. Writing something that utilizes a socket API is likely the lowest you'll ever have reason to go.

Conceptual knowledge of the lower levels
is important, but you'll get so much more out of learning how to configure common applications and settings. Installing certs, setting up Apache, etc.

you mean Unix sockets?

RIP

Attached: 160927210830-tk-ah0927-large-169.jpg (460x259, 19K)

No I absolutely do not. I mean IP sockets.

docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/net/Socket.html

docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/api/system.net.sockets.socket?view=netframework-4.8

You're pretty much guaranteed to need to make some application talk to another application at some point, so knowing some networking is good. Full stack developers would need to know more, while if you get into something more specialized it might not be as important, but you'll likely still need to hit some APIs at some point, and probably create some APIs so understanding enough to make that work is important.

so only HTTP?

The popularity of web services as made HTTP fairly ubiquitous, but it's not the only protocol. You might want to use something else if you're looking to reduce latency or bandwidth.

>to be professional programmer
all you have to do is get paid to be professional.
your prof lie, it obvious.
there is specializations, like system programming, database, etc
your program has to listen of a port, socket, whatever they call it in next language to receive incoming connections. you don't really need to know network layers naming scheme to make it work.

how important are computer networks for databases specialization?

because trannies are best programmers

Lain a whore.

>so you need to enable RIP on Routers.

Attached: photomiddef2193958bo8.jpg (423x637, 36K)

something wrong?

RIP doesn't scale past 16 hops
RIP floods its entire routing table every 30 seconds RIP blackholes routes until the next flood
RIP takes ages for a route to reach the other end of the network
RIP only accounts for hop count
Also it's not the 90s anymore, there's not much resources saved with choosing RIP over OSPF and the configuration is just as easy as you can just slap everything into area 0 (and if you get to a size where areas matter RIP is done anyway)

Nowadays you use OSPF (or IS-IS, depending on your field) for IGP and BGP for EGP and fun
There's VERY few reasons to use RIP nowadays, I only know of one: peering with your MPLS L3VPN provider when you need to disfavor a backup connection by adding a RIP offset