BBS - the documentary

BBS - the documentary
youtube.com/watch?v=nO5vjmDFZaI

> The BBS (bulletin board system) scene of the 80s and 90s was a magical time.
> Long before the Internet escaped from the lab, connected the planet and redefined what it meant to use a computer there was a brave and pioneering band of computer users who spent their time, money and sanity setting up their home computers and phone lines to welcome anyone who called.
> In the Summer of 2001, Jason Scott, a computer historian (owner textfiles.com) wondered if anyone had made a film about these BBSes.
> They hadn't, so he decided he would.
> Four years, thousands of miles of travelling, and over 200 interviews later, "BBS: The Documentary", a mini-series of 8 episodes about the history of the BBS, was made available in 2005.
> Spanning 3 DVDs and totalling five and a half hours, this documentary is actually eight documentaries about different aspects of this important story in the annals of computer history.

bbs seem to be neat. :3

Attached: under-the-black-flag.jpg (740x555, 145K)

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.basedkaf.com/tags/bbs/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SDF_Public_Access_Unix_System
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Jason Scott is a cool dude

do you know him?

Thanks for this. I'll watch it later

I re-watch it often, pretty cool documentary. Should be mandatory for noob Jow Forumsents.

true.

they were just shitty versions of the internet

the internet has been destroyed by mainstream faggots. it used to be better. it might have not been as beautiful as today with all the spa frameworks and css3 but the people you hung out with were based.

I've met him a few times. Off camera he is way less animated in my experience.

>04:58:52

Attached: 1451367484491.jpg (400x400, 12K)

am i the only one who finds those bbs appealing?
i somehow would love to write a bbs. :)

How can we harvest these feels for p2p meshnets?

gnunet/zeronet/i2p/ect

>a brave and pioneering band of computer users who spent their time, money and sanity setting up their home computers and phone lines to welcome anyone who called
ah yes, the pioneering bravery of a 15 year old kid with a copy of renegade and a spare phone line

also join amprnet

those fuckers still use bbs

Lol, 15 year old didn't even have PCs and PCs still sucked at the time

>15 year old didn't even have PCs
you must be a zoomer if you don't think 15 year olds had PCs in the 90s
>PCs still sucked at the time
true, unless you had a lot of money

>zoomer detected

That's pretty cool!
Will do.

Reminder that MindVox > Jow Forums

Attached: MindVox-627x376.jpg (627x376, 42K)

Text files were the shit. Loved trading floppies of them.

bbs' were awesome. irc, usenet, and telnet games were a logical extension. then the web browser came along and ruined the internet for good.

I hate how everything is now consolidated on the web browser, when there's not really any thing it does well. It's supposed to be for linking documents, but the documents are shit.

HTTP was a mistake.
I miss gopher.
>sadfrog.png

there's a repeat somewhere in the middle and the audio desyncs during
very interesting so far though

I for one would love to see a gnunet bbs

Text boards were the closest the web ever got to BBSs, all you need is a small pastebin-like section for text files and it would be pretty much all there.

Attached: Textboard.png (768x1009, 130K)

;_; I miss the text boards

Surprised I never see any mentions of urbit around here. There's also mastodon or pleroma. The fediverse seems pretty cool.

Here in Europe QIC tapes were distributed with huge archives, using mail.

No. BBS was nothing like the internet. It was an entirely different type of service and experience.

I miss redcream and milkribs the most.

there probably already is one. haven't q00qled it though.

there was no "service" called "BBS", zoomer. you either ran a board, or connected to one.

based

Are there any actively developed, modern software packages for running a BBS?
Urbit definitely has some cool ideas behind it.

There's mystic bbs, also check out blog.basedkaf.com/tags/bbs/

The issue is nobody wants to leave their browser anymore. We could set something up for people on Jow Forums but the majority of the people on this board wouldn't be wanted in an environment like a bbs.

On a related note, what languages have the best (most accessible) libraries for creating TUIs?

why leave the browser just to text chat on a terminal. i mean this site is basically a bbs.

He still hasn't returned my magazines after I lent them to him to scan. Nigger.

based

>oh this sounds interesting maybe worth a wa-
>5 fucking hours long

fuck no

Attached: 1547150032649.jpg (960x1280, 157K)

the smallest barrier to entry makes any community loads better if you ask me.

yes, i agree desu

Fuck Nintendo right wing hardware.

Attached: Old_video_game_post_1.png (360x253, 153K)

anyone want to create a BBS now? kek

Why?

Yes dande
Yes

i don't know... i kinda like the format and i think it will keep normies away.

sorry, i misread your post and accidentally quoted you.

The uploader should've kept the episode format. This is a series of 20-45 minute episodes.

There should be torrents around if you're still interested.

The BBS series documentary is great. Jason Scott is an OG. I cut my teeth with 1200 baud dial up hitting local BBS's in 206.

I think that "ease of use" in computer has lead to the downfall of anyone knowing what anything is.

This. Absolutely this.

BBS scene was amazing. Computing during the 80s-90s is something I feel very blessed to have experienced and love seeing people keep the scene alive through either retro actives (reddit has a good retro computing subreddit) or watching the BBS documentary over and over.

I'd rush home after school and either dial into my normal BBS's (though might be a lot of busy signals at this time) or just dial random BBS's from a BBS list I had downloaded.

It lead later into wardialing and other computer exploring. Eventually ended up with a shell account on a university server and then discovering things like telnet, gopher, usenet..

It all changed from there.

this The torrent I got is 2.9GB. Runtime is about 6.75 Hours. Haven't finished it, myself but I definitely want to someday.

let him go down on me once, he was good, but i wasnt into it.

Has he even scanned them yet? He seems like a busy guy. Also nice get

Are there any active bbs services still around?
I mean it prob wouldn't be so bad if someone had one for this place.

it was such a one sided and weak attempt at documenting the bbs world. usa far greater boards than what was shown or talked about in this video, as did europe. would not watch again. do not want it to taint my memories of what it was really like.. and it wasn't cucked as this.

>Text boards were the closest the web ever got to BBSs,
bulletin boards moved to telnet during the 90s. there's still lots running. image boards are just a bootleg of old bbs setups.

>Are there any active bbs services still around?
yes, lots.

I will make the logo

>you must be a zoomer if you don't think 15 year olds had PCs in the 90s
Turning the time when BBSs were most popular? They didn't. Sure after mid/late 90's they did.

I finished at least twice, you lazy cunt

SDF is still around and kicking

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SDF_Public_Access_Unix_System

I had an Amiga 500 when I was 11 in 1994. Lots of my friends had Intel machines with DOS or Windows for workgroups or whatever the fuck it was called.

kek

i totally agree. LEGEND OF THE RED DRAGON BABY

ncurses.