Haskell users out there, convince me to use Haskell

People keep telling me to learn Haskell ...why?

Attached: hasklole.png (1200x847, 15K)

Hello retard

One does not need convincing on *anything* with regards to the fulfilment of knowledge.

You have to make this decision yourself.

That must have been a typo. You should learn Lisp.

you need to learn both to understand fully what other languages are missing
lisp cannot replace haskell's type system and haskell cannot replace lisp's dynamic qualities

>being a Haskelloser in a 2k!9

C.

C teaches you nothing

yourself faggot
Haskell is pretty hardcore and if you are already familiar with things like monoids, recursion, lists/sets and the lambda calculus in general you'll very much feel at home.
Performance-wise, you can get better performance than with any other language thanks to lazy evaluation but at the same time you'll lose performance because it's implemented in C and it's a high level, non-procedural language.
Only downsides are editor/IDE support and the error codes, they're not very informative and unless you can find the error by yourself, you'll feel lost.

First triple digit IQ post I've seen on Jow Forums in months.

Thanks user, sounds neat, I'll check it out, I like trying new things.

Soon OOP langauges will bring all the features functional programming has and haskell & friends will be obsolete, you know its true, its already starting

If you're learning it to get a job, don't learn it

Learn it if you want to have a different perspective on how to solve problems in usually a much neater and elegant way.

Because Scala's doing so well these days huh?

>it's implemented in C
Being implemented in a certain language is merely a property of the implementation, not the language itself.
That said, GHC is almost entirely written in Haskell. Only the runtime uses a reduced C dialect. But that doesn't mean Haskell implementations _must_ use it.

Haskell is shit, forget it, if you must use functional language better learn erlang

>t. grandpa
Most people these days start out by learning Python or JavaScript. C has a lot to teach them.

I don't use Haskell but I think you should learn it so you can understand academic papers.

Attached: hmm.png (750x924, 647K)

Why Erlang? Its use case is so specialized.

What does C teach?

How to manage memory and CPU time.

>Only downsides are editor/IDE support
Intero
>Haskell error messages
>not informative

Knowing how to manually manage memory well is not a skill most programmers will call upon.

Most programmers are complete idiots. I recommend not following their lead.

OP here, I agree with this statement.

That's a good argument for learning Haskell.

This. Check out "Write Yourself a Scheme in 48 Hours".

Is there a haskell interpreter/compiler without llvm bloat?