/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Do not dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: 1491245993346.png (2000x2444, 761K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/licenses/license-recommendations.html#small
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

First for freeedom.

I was partitioning my 2TB HDD (shrinking and creating extended/logical partition) using gparted live when suddenly there was a blackout. When I tried to do it again, there was an error and it told me to run e2fsck -fy /dev/sda3.
I tried to run it through gparted live's terminal, but there's nothing caught. The test run like normal, there's no "error something. Fix? yes" or anything. Is it because I run it through the possibly outdated terminal? Should I make whatever newest distro liveusb and run the efsck again?
I haven't tried to partition the disk again because I need to do some work in the next hours, and I'm currently using my spare OS on another hdd.

Attached: 1537870389310.png (722x768, 413K)

Why does ls $(pwd) work, but ls

It shows /dev/fd/63, and I don't know what does that mean.

Reminder that GNU is not an operating system by definition, as it does not manage hardware.

$(pwd) prints your currect directory,executing pwd

Seething GNUtard.

have sex

so it's not gnu/linux but linux/gnu or what i like to call it linux with gnu

Should I install opensuse GNU or fedora GNU?

The GNU system is used with different kernels; the most popular variant is GNU with Linux.

See:
$ uname --kernel-name Linux
$ uname --operating-system
GNU/Linux

Red Hat Enteprise Linux Gnu

Depends on what you're using it for.

This is fairly the most stupid question ever asked on this board. It says "install gentoo" everywhere you look, but still, you don't know what to install?

i think he's memeing about the GNU/Linux < Linux/GNU thing

reconfiguring kernel rn
scrollin through
unsetting CONFIG_'s
trimming bloat
getting smol

Attached: blushmino.png (199x157, 28K)

restore the ext4 volume you tried to shrink from the backup you took before attempting to shrink it

Uhh, what backup?

the backup you took before starting a dangerous and uninterruptible operation? the one it warned you to make? that one

So what's the deal with JavaScript? You have to check to see if the JavaScript being executed is proprietary before you run it?

So for some reason I broke me kernel, fixing it didn't work so I quickly reinstalled the file system. I formatted / and boot and created a new /home partition because the old one caused some problems. I ran pacman - Syyu before recovering my old /home folder. Now how did linux remember what packages I had before? Pacman automatically got everything apart from a few aur packages. I think I am really dumb

If i wanna compile a program from source, is there any convention as to what directory i should make the program?

I didn't get any prompt to backup or anything. It was just regular gparted app and the only warning I got was something like pic related.

I could still boot from and access the data in the HDD, it's just whenever I tried to shrink and partition it, I got an error that told me to fsck it, but as per my original post, the fsck didn't return any error/fix prompt.

Attached: ximage378.png.pagespeed.gp+jp+jw+pj+ws+js+rj+rp+rw+ri+cp+md.ic.Ql6MUeEBDG.png (650x450, 106K)

Is there a way to use find with pipes?
This didn't work: $ ./scriptThatOutputsPathNames | find - -type f

*Red Hat Enterprise IBM/systemd

Is there anyone using dragora?

what was the error?

It's getting old.

>I didn't get any prompt to backup or anything.
>the only warning I got was something like pic related.

if you read your picture closely, it says "Editing partitions has the potential to cause LOSS of DATA.", which is usually a good sign to backup, but if it wasn't obvious, it follows up with "You are advised to backup your data before proceeding."

>MOM, ARCH BROKE X AGAIN

Yeah, that's not the problem. The data itself is still there and I can access them just fine. The problem is I can't partition it.

whatever you did, it wasn't what you thought you did

It's just systemd now - manages bootup, manages services, manages DNS servers (default: google DNS) etc

find: unrecognized: -
(and the usage help)

so you reinstalles / /boot and /home ?
then what did you keep? i know you can basically make partitions for every folder on your system but i never made more than 3 partitions. how many partitions do you have?

then back up what you can read now, format, and put it back
an interrupted resize can put the filesystem in a weird state, and i wouldn't trust a filesystem that is in a weird state

Why does the website say "Gentoo Linux" instead of Gentoo GNU?

because it's Gentoo Linux

why would i when there is parabola with openRC?

It's an error. Gentoo is not a kernel.

Maybe your script isn't making existing or correct pathnames or its doesn't have executable permissions

>Gentoo
>Genoo
>GNU

i don't like both pacman and openrc
i was pleased by void and xbps except some minor drawbacks which are not drawbacks at all

So there's really no other way other than that? I thought of doing it too but it seems too inelegant. I guess I'll just do that after trying all sort of thing first.
Thanks anyway.

well i hear ext4's fsck can work miracles, but even so, it's a last resort, and should only be used if necessary (being able to read the files doesn't necessitate it)

hello void fren
what's dragora based off again? what init system does it use?

Attached: 1543547938019.png (960x640, 481K)

Oh it's because of the --type thing
That's the old way of doing it I think. It might not work for you. I know --type d works on Ubuntu for directories but I'm phone posting from kuroba.

Looks like find doesn't take paths from stdin, but like always, you can just add this functionality by using either pwd | find "$(cat)" -type f or pwd | find "$(

stop using busybox

>Looks like find doesn't take paths from stdin
Then why does "pwd | find" work? Wouldn't the script write to stdout?

Well, it's made from scratch. It's glibc system using runit and its own package manager qi, on which it kinda concentrates its docs.

he didn't write "--type", he wrote "find - -type"
find doesn't support using a hyphen for stdin like that
$ find $(./scriptThatOutputsPathNames) -type f

Root boot home and swap. I kept home as a backup but formatted everything else and made a new home partition

zsh or bash?
for pure functionality, btw.

not because of muh epic cool prompts

Has anyone followed a particular guide for switching over to Open ZFS on Ubuntu?

>runit
>made from scratch
>its own package manager qi
can you tell me more about the package manager? that actually sounds like something i could put on a librebooted machine
that's strange. if you keep home you keep the stuff you installed to home (obviously) and your browser history etc.
bash, every feature of zsh can be patched in and it's still more lightweight

I don't even think my old home folder was mounted. The last time I reinstalled it didn't do that. The only thing that was not carried over were the ufw rules

is dash any good?

find searches in the current directory if no paths are provided on the command line

I'm the one who actually asked if there are dragora users, because i have't try the distro yet, so no, i can't.

for scripts; yes, for daily terminal use bash
you are right, seconding your question now

Bash, because GNU must stay strong.

GPL all the things!

Attached: 15430357167070.jpg (344x400, 39K)

Reminder that GPL isn't always the right thing; for small things GNU recommends Apache 2.0. gnu.org/licenses/license-recommendations.html#small
Found this while searching for a good license for shell scripts.

>accidently spend all my night ricing my archlinux install

why does this keep happening

Attached: on3gwklteuc11.jpg (236x230, 10K)

it's comfy
show your results frogposter

Ricing is like programming. It's never perfect, Theres' always something to make better, and when you hot the point where everything is fine, you get bored of your project and start an new one.

Attached: 1527947474632.jpg (800x581, 284K)

"The desktop is the mirror of your soul."

I'm aware this is very barebones but this is my first time doing this.

I still need to setup a status bar and fuck around with xmonad.

Probably go full autism with a matching browser theme too.

Attached: first-time-ricing.png (1936x1080, 293K)

pywal can be very useful.
what theme/userChrome do you use? hide that scrollbar.
other than that pretty comfy

How do you cut some seconds from an mp4 without fully reencoding it with ffmpeg?

What’s a good 802.11bgn/ac adapter that has an antenna and will plug and play on lunix? I’m searching amazon listings and it seems literally all of them use some shitty Realtek 8812AU chipset that requires you compile the driver from some github project.

Can I get a list of thinkpads that are good for going 100% libre? I want to libre boot and use the libre linux kernel.

>x60
>t60
>t400
>t500
>w400
>w500
>x200

how do i change the background of pic related in polybar? or stretch the icon or something
this annoys me for a long time now and i cant find any resources on it

Attached: 1551835241209.png (223x120, 31K)

Thank you.

fuck, same here.
very disappointed in myself, tbqh.

Is there any way to create a directory that is tag-based?
i.e. every file in the directory has a list of tags and you can search for files that have some tags applied to them.
I could write a few scripts for this myself but I want to know if there is some way to do this so that is works with the standard ls/mv commands.
I don't want to create a new partition

You can use hydrus

ffmpeg -ss 0 -to 1:00 -i input.mp4 -map 0 -c copy output.mp4
where '0' is the starting timestamp, and '1:00' is the ending timestamp
note that the output may contain a bit more than expected, especially if you move the beginning, due to i-frame misalignment, which can only be resolved by transcoding

Thanks!

What email stack should I use for a small office of drones.
Like 6-10 people.

-What client should I use?
-What DNS provider?
-Should I host it on a vps or local?
-Does it need a database?
-Does it handle U2F(they are old and don't understand password security)
-Can I isolate users from others?
-What other security related stuff should I add like fail2ban?

I got a couple months deadline to propose the whole hardware/software stack.
My intentions are to go fully FOSS and federated.

If I can't figure a setup by then I'll probably cuck out and go with google business and just use filtering with custom domains for each user and have them use outlook/thunderbird and be done with it.

Just use outlook. Freetard garbage can't be taken seriously.

>recommending microshit licensing
>calling FOSS garbage
Isn't there a win10 thread you can be shitting up, pajeet?
Since it is for a business; will you be supporting the solution throughout it's lifetime, or do you want one and done?

Halp

See archive posts:

Attached: 1537915233799.jpg (3840x2160, 1.46M)

where do you think you are?

based

I mention ac as well, which none of that would support. I’m not interested in total FSF freetardedness, just something that will werk ootb on normal kernels.

transparency sucks without blur
that wallpaper is very uncomfy and also reddit
don't use pywal, it's never good

how is this reddit at all?

Attached: Ahoy-russian-plane.png (4096x2160, 109K)

ironic shitposting is still shitposting

>racism

so you keep saying

This isn't your safespace, nigger.
kys
If 802.11ac is a requirement, you're kinda stuck with the rtl you mentioned earlier. The github repo for the driver looks well maintained though. They even have a .deb package.

someone?

Does anyone know how I can disable this IEC958 output forever? I am using Pulseaudio.
I looked online, but couldn't find anything substantial yet. It's annoying, because sometimes it turns itself on and I lose audio from the HDMI cable.

Attached: 2019-07-05-15:02:02.png (936x519, 34K)

>IEC958 output
Is that the headphone jack, by chance?