FairPhone

Is this thing based? I looking forward to buy FairPhone 3 in next year or so, and it wil be my phone for the next 5-7 years.

Attached: file.png (1023x727, 426K)

Other urls found in this thread:

shop.fairphone.com/en/spare-parts
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The idea of a modular and upgradable phone is fundamentally flawed.

Why? I do not want to buy every year a new phone. Why would I, if i can replace screen, battery, and other components all by myself?

Why not, goy? *rubs hands*
Don't you care about our economy?

this is so fucked, man. Is there any chance that our earth will be a better place?

Overpriced shit

iCuck detected

Replace with parts what cost like 2 new china phones

I've bought the FP2 at release and is still using it. I've yet to have to repair it. I did replace the battery, those just age poorly. That's kinda the 'flaw' I see in modularity. If you make a good phone users probably won't need to replace it until it's facing external factors. Like software getting slow because software developers are idiots. Or you lost it/totally wrecked it. The modularity makes more sense when you can upgrade the performance sensitive parts.

My decision to buy it was because I've had phones where the charging circuit/headphone jack gave up and camera died. In one the charging PCB was easy to replace. The other was effectively fucked.

I think I'll keep buying these if only for the peace of mind that I won't have to throw more phones away. It's always a hassle.

As for a review on the phone I've found it serviceable. It was powerful on release and it still does all I ask of it. I did have crashes during early updates but they've since disappeared. The case needed replacing. The original case it came with just didn't hold up at all. The brim came off and it was a very common problem. I'm confident they learned and are gonna have that fixed on release with the FP3. You should pre-order if you want the phone just at release. I pre-ordered 1 month ahead and I got it 3 weeks after release. As for extended functionality use of the modularity I've been looking for an extended battery when I was going to swap the battery. But there wasn't one.

That's probably not something you'd have to deal with with more popular phones. But who knows. Maybe the FP3 is a greater hit than the FP2.

It obviously won't affect most people because they don't care (clearly) but it feels good to not have so many deaths attached to your phone.
The parts are not that expensive. It's not something you're gonna buy regularly either. They're at a premium compared to the stuff workers steal out of Samsung factories but that's to be expected.

It may be "fair" or not (hard to verify) but version 2 was noticably worse than a $150 robot + Chinese-made phone while it cost what, $700?

I don't think they have the engineering skill to make the next version more noticeably useful and powerful and not so expensive.

BTW practically speaking the Chinese phones are making it basically just as easy to replace parts.

They wouldn't do actual modular upgrades and the fairphone *could* win there, but fairphones don't have the yearly part upgrades with cheap, midrange and high-end standard parts (e.g. latest high-end Sony camera chip to replace your old one, cheap pedestrian 6GB RAM module or premium super fast 12GB RAM module...) to make this practically speaking an interesting option.

Mostly the parts are actually just worse and very expensive, you REALLY have to believe HARD that you're doing something good by supporting this phone.

>hard to verify
I've obviously not independent researched every one of their claims but they give enough information about their suppliers and the changes they've introduced to the places to make it clear that they're not bullshitting in the assembly pipeline.

What's the hardest to verify is absolutely the rare earth minerals sourcing. Some of that is fairtrade minerals though. And that's verified by fairtrade.

Thanks! It is nice to listen real phone users with solid arguments.

I like the ideal, but their business model needs work. The phone's a decent buy at launch, but then they don't drop the price or refresh specs, and it becomes reeaally hard to justify buying one if you're joining the party late. Imagine paying $600 for an SD801 with 2GB RAM in late 2018.

Retard.

Attached: webshop_1428x1428_indigo.jpg (1428x1428, 165K)

>gives no reason why
shill post

Only if you're trying to sell people an entirely new phone every 2 years.

>And that's verified by fairtrade.
I don't trust the verifying entities like Max Havelaar.

Last time I saw how they operated, they were still slapping on their label and doing spot checks for a rather generous amount of money going to their staff - not buying the goods from the mine and accompanying the materials until they're a final product with at least the full logistics chain under their control. Spot checks should be reserved for checking if the mine isn't perhaps buying cheaper raw materials from other sources.

>The phone's a decent buy at launch
The phone was barely average at launch, the modular approach actually didn't result in frequent part updates with nice choices but everything just got old, and so on. It's just not competitive even if you ignore that they cost 2-3x as much.

From a political perspective, this is probably the best phone so far.
I would go for it if I wasn't a poorfag.

t. butthurt chinkjew

Attached: 1537293296572.jpg (456x600, 42K)

They can't really compete, they have to rely on activism to justify their price.
It's tough to be that company when no huge crooked nose keeps your back.

Do these things allow any degree of customization or do they just encourage you repair them when parts wear out? It'd be cool to plug in a smaller screen and a physical key set or swap out a camera for more storage space or something but as far as I could tell the actual design of the phone was fairly rigid and unchanging. I like the idea but as far as modular designs go the moto phones seem to have more going for them in that area. I'll see what FP3 is like before I decide to purchase.

Attached: Pho_Obj_ModularSmartPhone.jpg (727x484, 42K)

It's tough to be that company if you have ideals and want to do everything right OTHER than to have suitable skills and machines to pull off a competitive show, yes.

>Do these things allow any degree of customization
Theoretically but they don't actually keep releasing the parts required for this to be a real thing.

So really, it's a phone that is basically as easy to repair with spare parts as the average Chinese smartphone, except it's easier to open up than SOME of these.

BTW this is what you can get:
shop.fairphone.com/en/spare-parts

They even let the phone stock itself run out before a successor was ready.

because the CPU on a mobile device is a "system on a chip" and the memory, processor, graphics, radios, security, gps, and pretty much everything is sold and functions all-in-one. you cannot replace the radio on a cell phone. you cannot replace the gpu on a cell phone. you can sometimes get away with replacing ram chips with larger capacity versions but they are soldered on top of the CPU die

the problem with modular phones is that if you are beholden to Qualcomm for your chipset, and you have a finalized motherboard design, at that point making the battery and the screen upgradeable would cost more money than just slapping it together and selling it. people would not be super happy about a phone that has the same specs except for storage, the screen, and the battery, and charges out the ass for upgrades to those things because it requires special modular parts

it is theoretically possible but the end product would be garbage and not what you expect

It really is tho. They do the whole "LOL GUYS LOOK AT US WE DONT ABUSE NIGGERS AND CHINKS AS MUCH" Which is probably why it costs X2 the amount it should

VIRTUE SIGNAL: HANDHELD COMMUNICATION-DEVICE EDITION

Obviously you would have to design your own board, case and maybe sockets (if the few standard parts aren't ideal) so you CAN change the RAM, storage, camera and battery easily while making everything sit very tight.

Attached: itoddlers BTFO.gif (498x278, 1.69M)