XFCE

XFCE is the most stable and feature rich desktop environment for linux. It is the defacto standard for true linux gurus and native arch linuxers.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 101K)

Calling Xfce the "most feature rich desktop environment" is just a fucking lie. I use Xfce exactly because it DOESN'T try to do silly half-assed implementations of gestures and fancy splitscreening and pull down menus and whatnot.

>shit res
>conky
>arch wallpaper
hello underage hackerman

I like XFCE, because it's simple. It's easy to get into it if one has used Windows one's entire life. My own setup emulates Windows' GUI pretty closely.

That looks like a YouTube thumbnail and it's also from 2013.

why have you posted a fluxbox desktop then?

Agreed, XFCE just works and seems to focus on stability rather than random features I don't need.

Basically have it looking like windows xp

>native arch linuxers
it sure is summer in here

I use windows because I have a job

I don't emulate Windows or anything, I was just sick and tired of Gnome trying to become a tabled GUI with Gnome 3 and with the godawful abomination that is KDE Plasma. I was happy with Unity for a while, but when I had the same regression bug three releases in a row, I was fed up. If you're wondering what the bug was, it was a memory leak that occurred when resizing windows on multi-screen setups which caused window resizing (including maximizing) to gradually become slower and slower until it could take up to 30 seconds to maximize a window and then LightDM would simply crash.

The reason why this regression bug kept coming back, was that the main developer responsible for the WM only tested on his fucking thinkpad with a single screen at 1366x768 resolution. When I found this out, by trawling the bugzilla, I was fucking outraged and decided to never use Unity again.

As for Gnome3, the final straw in that department was in the early days when every new release would break existing plugins. That by itself isn't that bad, but then consider the fact that you needed fucking plugins for everything, including changing the date format of the clock.

I tried Mate for a while too, but in the early days when I tried it it was only two developers and instead of focusing on actually continuing Gnome 2 development, they'd rather spend time "matifying" names of icons and applications, which led to frequent segmentation faults since Gnome 2 applications which they forked from had a bunch of paths and stuff hardcoded into them, and when the devs then changed names, stuff started to break.

1 / 2

I fucking had it with broken piece of shit DEs. Xfce isn't perfect either though, I still have a retarded issue with my multi-monitor set up: When you daisy-chain display port, X.org will name the monitors on the format MAJOR.MINOR rather than a single major number. This is fine, but in the Xfce configuration files, the dot isn't considered a valid character so everytime I log in my screen is detected as a new screen and I get a random background image.

2 / 2

I use Linux at work, because I have a real job. I only use Windows at home for gaming.

>defacto standard for true linux gurus.
The standard is an ssh session into ba headless server you fucking twat.

I don't like Gnome that much since the devs try to force their shitty defaults and hide settings. Want to change something? Get ready to use a tweak menu that provides partial customization, or you can get into learning cumbersome gsettings in the terminal. Nah. XFCE is easy to deal with and it stays out of my way.

Yeah, that's my experience too. I mean, I literally had to install a plugin to change the date format to something I wanted instead of the shitty defaults. I've been using Xfce exclusively for the last 5 years now, and despite the annoying DP daisy chaining bug and the lack of a proper system tray, I'm quite happy with it (or rather, not as annoyed as I were with the alternatives).

>gaming
Get a life, shitstain. Games are for kids and manchildren who's time doesn't matter.
Look at me for example, I own my house, no debts, no credit cards, have my own car, my wife has a car, we have one weekend car and also I have a vintage car as a hobby. Instead of games we hike, travel and go out regularly. We never have any problems with money, if something is needed we just buy it. Only took me 2 years after graduation to get out of daily monetary stress.
I can also do my job on an old street payphone and a paper notepad.
If you have to consider how much you pay for some basic tools then you are doing it wrong.

>things i like > things you like

>Look at me for example, I own my house, no debts, [...], have my own car
I have all these things too.

>have no credit cards
Why? Credit cards are great as long as you pay them down every month. I get all sorts of benefits and insurances from them that debit cards don't offer.

>we hike, travel and go out regularly.
I do too, I live 3 minute walk to the forrest so I'm out every day for a run or a comfy walk.

>If you have to consider how much you pay for some basic tools then you are doing it wrong.
Wait, you're saying that you're paying for Windows at work? Doesn't your employer cover the license?

I am my own employer, wagecuck

>my wife makes all the money while I sit at home trying to find clients
kek

Nah, my wife does the accounting for our company.

>work at home
>needs two cars

Attached: hmmm.png (189x204, 23K)

Business can't be going very well then if you're shitposting in an arch thread.

I never said I work at home, we have an office.

On the contrary, the demand for our outsourcing service has never been higher. But today is saturday, weekend and I free to shitpost all I want ;)

what's McDonalds paying these days?

I use Gnome because it doesn't make my eyes bleed.

It is outsourcing tech positions and it yields upper five figures per week. It is you who is going to go to McDonalds HR in the next couple years, lol

How is the screen tearing

poo

Screen tearing?
t. Xfce 4.14 pre-release user.

i just use gnome

Attached: 1562082877632-g.png (676x581, 359K)

>the lack of a proper system tray
what

then why are you on Jow Forums

Jow Forums?

oh right this is 4channel

tearfree

just FVWM

>I never said I work at home, we have an office.
Why do you need two cars if you work in the same place?

>But today is saturday, weekend and I free to shitpost all I want ;)
Why aren't you in the woods or banging your wife? Shitposting is a lot worse hobby than gaming.

One for me to go to work and go to work related places, plus shopping. Wife has one for the same reasons. We have a weekend car (camper van) for travel, hiking and weekend stuff. I also keep a hobby vintage car for tinkering. So actually we have 4 cars ;)
BTW anyone from around San Diego? We outsourced a significant portion of tech jobs in the area recently, just a heads up ;)

back in 2002-ish i used enlightenment. what happend to that?

They got stuck in 2002