/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Do not dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: 1518235461920.png (967x593, 24K)

Other urls found in this thread:

tldp.org/LDP/Bash-Beginners-Guide/html/
tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/
gnu.org/software/bash/manual/bash.html
ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/
ftp.us.debian.org/debian
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Why this doesn't work?
$ xdg-mime default zathura.desktop application/pdf
$ xdg-mime query default application/pdf
inkscape.desktop

nvm fixed it myself.

Okay, stupid question here.

Where's the best place to save these AUR packages? They're currently sitting in my user folder and it feels ugly and I want to know if there was a better place to clone these git packages.

I can't get PCmanFM to display my removable disks. I ticked the checkboxes to automount devices but to no avail. I also manually mounted my drive but it did not work either. Dolphin automatically mounts my drive and displays it, but I want to use PCmanFM.

Attached: 491.jpg (377x378, 42K)

Now my drive shows up in PCmanFM but ONLY when I first click it in Dolphin. What is this madness?

just stay in dolphin

no

What are some cool terminal commands?

Attached: 1543924420597.png (231x154, 24K)

xxd /dev/urandom

rm -rf

man is the coolest of them all

hexdump -C /dev/urandom | grep --color 13\ 37

man man

haha benis xDDD

nevermind, figured it out

i can't be the first one standing before this assumably simple task

How easy is it to move from nvidia to ayyyymd drivers?

have you installed gvfs?

New Debian when?

would it physically hurt you to explain how

read the polybar wiki, it's not hard

i read it, the manual and the wiki but can't seem to figure this gui icon shit out. there is no module for it nor a script i could use to bind it to a module

you're retarded, I shouldn't have to spoon-feed you

Attached: 2019-07-06-124240_1280x800_scrot.png (1280x800, 112K)

oooooh, it's called tray?
not a native speaker.. be kind ;_;

Pajeet go home

also not a streetshitter thou

This is a friendly thread. Keep the racism out.

Installed Arch and KDE, fonts look all shit. How do I fix fonts in 2019?

read the wiki noob

calling people pajeet is not racist

I put them in ~/Programs/

Does anyone have some good truecolor skins for Midnight commander?

It's amazing to me how there is literally one thread where people explicitly want to be helpful here and it still attracts smollbrains who can't comprehend the word 'Friendly'.

Being friendly is boring. This is why this thread is dead.

4 u

Maybe anons are friendly but express themselves through harsh love ;^)

Attached: D24D3607-6311-4500-81FF-59779C178C7E.jpg (1280x720, 167K)

Ok, maybe I'm just going full tinfoil hat but I think someone is snooping on me. After opening another person account on my PC (with the Ubuntu 18.04.5 partition) yesterday the same account was apparently opened by someone else at 7 in the morning today, according to the security notification that Google sent to this person's phone. So, it's there a way to check if something is wrong with your system's security on Ubuntu? I'm a fucking noob so I have no idea.

Wasn't debian 10 release supposed to be today? Well, where is it then?

asking for dumb shit you can find in the manual isn't friendly either, retard

this
being called a faggot or 'racist slurs' comes with being here, there are alternatives (the one with the upvote system or the one with the 1000 word filters for example)

meant to link this user

>how to install arch in 21 steps
no wonder people go for easier distros. but after having read guide it seemed pretty straightforward from what i could tell, i'm going to try it on a vm first and then go for the real deal

Hey sorry for the stupid question in advance but I can't find the info I'm looking for (and honestly dont know what I'm looking for)

I currently have a Lenovo Ideapad (110?) running Windows 10 and its a hunk of garbage at this point. I still need to use it as I don't have the funds to replace it so I was thinking I may ditch windows 10 for something that has less bloatware and is generally lighter. Would this be a good solution to my problem of it running so damn slow?

Is there a certain distro you would reccomend? I was thinking Ubuntu or Kali (there are some tools on there I'm interested in learning) but worry that these will also be bulky and resource intensive.

i'm new to linux as well but one tip i will give you for what it is worth is that you should only go for linux if you have the time to do so. it does is a lot lighter, my laptop now takes half the time it used to boot up BUT pretty much everything, from installing programs to setting it up, have to be relearned. it does is worth it mind you, just takes some time since you cannot mindlessly do what you're already used to.

The installation isn't really hard once you understand what the commands do.

It's everything after your installation that's going to be painful because this shits takes a lot of time.

i already use antergos, so maybe it shouldn't be all that hard? i still don't know how aur works exactly and i imagine there's much more to be learned with the switch, but at least it won't be as bad as if i were to start from here. i know the very (very) basic of bash and am slightly more used to using the shell. plan on using i3 instead of gnome this time also, but i might regret this one later

You just need to configure everything yourself and sometimes things don't work out of the box. I struggled with drivers for example and that shit is not fun, for real. That and if you use i3 your system will be extremely barebones so you need to toy for hours with your config files to get something good looking so good luck with that.

How the fuck do you install python3.6 on debian 9

full mitigation of zombie load can only be achieved by disabling hyper-threading?
Intel sucks!

You upgrade to debian 10 and install python3.7
Debian 10 is stable now btw, and debian 9 is oldstable. So really it is time to upgrade.

the tarball / deb from python.org

my vps provider doesn't allow the upgrade yet
so

Just installed opensuse tumbleweed in a vm
Any idea why every single color scheme is using white fonts, even the light ones?
I did a kde installation without the recommended packages, so I'm probably missing something important

Attached: tw.jpg (1920x1080, 196K)

i started using Linux, because my old laptop started having troubles running Windows 7. I installed Arch because it seemed to be very lightweight, and it was extremely fast, even though I installed it on a USB stick (i had no free space on my hard drive)
The thing that matters most is what DE/WM you use. Don't use GNOME or KDE if you want something light. Either XFCE, LXDE or just a WM is better in that aspect. I recommend openbox with xfce-panel or lxpanel.
Don't get frustrated because you don't understand how Linux works. Most things are well documented.

You don't need permission from your VPS provider. If you have root then you can do it yourself.

whats the best source to get into shell scripting?

maybe i'll stick to gnome then, and just set up a few key shortcuts since it is what i miss from when i had i3 (of course i switched off of it real quick). don't even get me started on drivers though, my laptop's touchpad still doesn't work till this day so i need to use a usb mouse

Any recommendation for a good music player?

Bash Guide for Beginners and Advanced Bash-Scripting Guide from tldp
Plus Bash Reference Manual from GNU

Basically these:
tldp.org/LDP/Bash-Beginners-Guide/html/
tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/
gnu.org/software/bash/manual/bash.html

mpd+sonata
use pulseffects for eq

thanks user

>To open the KDE application meny by pressing the Winkey, you need to bind the hotkey to ALT+F1
Is there any actual explanation behind this or is it just Linux being Linux?

works on my machine by default

mpv

Linux is the kernel.

depends on what you want but the best basis is mpd imo

This drop down meny, not the Windows style task bar that's default on KDE

>Two things can't have the same name
And you have autism

Attached: 123.png (542x506, 79K)

seems more like KDE being KDE

Is there any image viewer that doesn't have a cluttered as fuck interface but still has basic features like cropping images? I'm using Gwenview right now but Jesus H Christ is the interface unnecessarily complex

Stop blaming an unrelated kernel for something in KDE.

viewnior

Why would an image viewer have image editor features? That's bloat.

NEW DEBIAN WHEN WTF WHY IS IT TAKING SO LONG FUCKKKKKK

nomacs

1.) the tasks are often done together
2.) one task in fact pretty much requires the other, you have to see the image to edit it
3.) you suckless fags apparently never heard that aphorism about "Make things as simple as possible, *but no simpler*"

Yeah, you're right, I should download GIMP when the only image editing feature I need is cropping, because that wouldn't be bloated

geeiqe and gimp

just modify the sources.list
buster-backports, buster-updates are already here ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/

xv is around 1MB

How to crop images with imagemagick?

Why not just use ImageMagick? You probably already have it installed.
It's primarily intended as a CLI image editor, but it also has an image viewer and comes with some really simple GUI elements to make changes such as cropping

You can do it from the CLI with the "-crop" flag and specifying the geometry.
However, if you're the same user as above who wanted to do it visually you could instead just run "display image.png" to bring up its viewer, then select transform>crop

>Lintards can't screencap arbitrary rectangles
absolute state

Attached: 1562439682908.jpg (500x313, 20K)

use xv

fuck off, this is lintard general

No. I want release.

stop using X
grim -g "$(slurp)" screenshot.png

Attached: 1562369539797.png (300x297, 230K)

So if qemu/kvm deprecates every other virtual machines then why does virtualbox/vmware player still exists?
Is qemu really that much faster than everything else? What does it do that's so special?

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Lintard, is in fact, GNU/Lintard, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Lintard. Lintard is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Lintard”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Lintard, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Lintard is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Lintard is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Lintard added, or GNU/Lintard. All the so-called “Lintard” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Lintard.

iirc kvm is kernel builtin, so vmware/qemu simply utilize it, they don't really do jackshit
so basically kvm is a linux feature
don't know why virtualbox can't into kvm tho, probably because it's oracle which means java-tier code

what a GNUtard

Attached: 1562285584732.jpg (1157x1001, 165K)

can someone recommend some comfy youtube videos or channels to watch that will help me get more familiar with linux?

GNU/Tard

Linux is a tardnel

Attached: luke smith shill kit.png (306x306, 130K)

I feel like videos are a very bad tool to learn Linux. Stick with reading wikis and manpages if you don't understand something.
There is pic related, but I wouldn't recommend him as a way to actually learn something.

Attached: serveimage.jpg (1280x720, 200K)

The news post that Buster is out is up on Debian.org, and its a broken link because they haven't put the rest up yet. kek

trying to get openvpn to connect to a vpn server from command line
sudo openvpn VPNFILE.ovpn
just hangs at Initialization sequence complete, however if I connect via network manager gui it connects with no problems, anyone got any ideas as to how to make openvpn connect to the server via terminal?

>E: Repository 'ftp.us.debian.org/debian stable-updates InRelease' changed its 'Codename' value from 'stretch-updates' to 'buster-updates'
>N: This must be accepted explicitly before updates for this repository can be applied. See apt-secure(8) manpage for details.
>N: Repository 'ftp.us.debian.org/debian stable InRelease' changed its 'Version' value from '9.9' to '10.0'
>E: Repository 'ftp.us.debian.org/debian stable InRelease' changed its 'Codename' value from 'stretch' to 'buster'
>N: This must be accepted explicitly before updates for this repository can be applied. See apt-secure(8) manpage for details.
Trying to update to buster, I fucked up my debian, help

i don't know what that means
i'm going to put a distro on my old thinkpad to play around with, just wanted something to have on while i'm working

Attached: Booklet Front.jpg (3793x1849, 1.83M)

I can't take him seriously at all after he made those videos saying that all systemd hatred, and the "unix way", is a meme.