What was it like developing old DOS-ROMs from the 80s and 90s? Was it difficult to write the game code?

What was it like developing old DOS-ROMs from the 80s and 90s? Was it difficult to write the game code?

Attached: index.png (320x198, 39K)

Other urls found in this thread:

embeddedarm.com/documentation/third-party/x86-dos-rom-41.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

writing games was like hell on earth. DOS code is worse than bloatware

You were inventing the game code in assembly most of the time

>inventing the game code in assembly
literal hell on earth

>Developing old DOS ROMs
>DOS
>ROMs
DOS computers never used ROMs, unless you're talking about early non-x86 PCs that used cartridges & tape cassette drives

Oh really?
embeddedarm.com/documentation/third-party/x86-dos-rom-41.pdf

Attached: indexr.jpg (904x532, 47K)

>Ignores the fact that OP was referring to DOS-based executable files as ROMs

>DOS-ROMs

>DOS computers never used ROMs
Um, try saying that to Roberta Williams.

Yeah but it was fun

>Calling executable programs "ROMs"
Retard detected

>acting the self-appointed janny
>>>/faggotland/

Literally Wolfenstein and Doom were programmed in C, with some assembly to speed up performance critical parts.

Consoles were programmed in assembly until PSX I think.

In reality, early programmers used assembly not as much because of something better wasn't available, but to a large part, early computers couldn't support more complicated editors and compilers weren't that good. It's a reason C is still used today, to a large extent, it can be quickly and efficiently translated to machine instructions. Sure some newer languages can get better results in some cases, but it requires a lot more work (analyzing what should turn into which operations), and you're never going to get better performance out of a language that doesn't give you any control over memory use.

C and asm shit was simple enough to really understand and plenty of room to be clever with hard limitations so you couldn’t be lazy. Max comfy 2bh.

>Calls jannies like they'er trannies

if you aren't pedantic enough to get these simple details right, you'll never make it in a real tech job

Fuck niggers trannies fags and jannies.

i'm so glad that i was born just after the msDOS stuff was being phased out.

Attached: happy.jpg (300x168, 8K)

>Was it difficult to write the game code?
Id's games were programmed mostly in C that was linked to assembly-coded modules used for the graphics code. Some inline assembly was also sprinkled in for interrupt calls and functions that needed to be as fast as possible. Pascal was another popular language that was used by other DOS games studios. Almost everyone used Borland compilers afaik.

> Was it difficult to write the game code?
John carmack wrote a new game engine for each game he made, with some help from Romero and other programmers. Today it takes teams of programmers years to create game engines. It took far fewer man hours to make a state-of-the-art game back then. But I doubt that it was any less "difficult."

Attached: 1562359258712.png (591x445, 13K)

What do you call this "game" then?
The label clearly indicates it's a DOS ROM.

Attached: dosrom1b.jpg (800x802, 128K)

>Id's games
What the hell is this mean?

>cd rom
god damn zoomers are retarded

The hard part was making the ass load of drivers for the different video cards. Everything else was super simple.

>roms
kek

Id Software's games

how old are you?

half of the posters itt are idiots

Say if you had to make a game like the original fallout what would you use?

>DOS
>ROMs

Attached: 1494518168318.jpg (383x526, 53K)

Attached: dosroms.png (902x850, 421K)

lol Putin

>it's a codelet who thinks low level programming is hard episode
Getting really sick of these reruns.

John Carmack is a goddamn wizard though

that'd make you just barely old enough to browse here

it's a DOS game on a CD-ROM
do you call windows games WINDOWS ROM?

i'm too fucking old to be here

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (1280x720, 162K)

you seem to misunderstand what the "ROM" in "CD-ROM" means
you seem to be treating it like an alternative to "Software" (CD-ROM = CD Software; DOS-ROM = DOS Software), but this isn't true, ROM simply means memory which cannot be changed, the ROM in CD-ROM simply means the contents of the disc are immutable, it has nothing to do with computer software

-- oh, and if you thinking of all those nes/gameboy/ds/etc "roms", this is related, the "rom" name refers not to the contents, but to the fact that it's a dump of a rom, a rom file is short for a rom /dump/ file, a copy of a rom, it refers to the fact the source was a rom

>it refers to the fact the source was a rom
Just like the source of the DOS-ROM is the CD.

Attached: 1475832353308.png (449x442, 137K)

>DOS ROMs
>let me boot up my DOS cartridge
this is due to zoomers faking nostalgia, those "ROMs" are as valid as saying Android "ROMs", it isn't how read-only memory worrks

Shitposting aside, original .COM programs were effectively the equivalent of "ROMs", a 64KB block for the CPU to run mindlessly as is

>all software before modern, relocatable, elaborate-loader-required executable formats were ROMs

Attached: 1426390486933.gif (280x210, 1.41M)

Afaik most of Wolf and Doom was written in C.
There was an era when there wasn't full 32 bit addressing,which meant that instead of directly addressing memory with a pointer, you had to play around with segment selection, and use 16 bit pointers inside segments. DOS was shit, but thanks to all the highmem trickery, which allowed direct addressing from 386 and on, it wasn't that different from working on bare metal.
Also having direct access to the framebuffer, instead of using graphics APIs was absolutely comfy.

Technically, all executables and image files are like that. The OS program loader shoves the whole file into memory, headers and all; the only thing it will change, is any relocatable information and any import/export lookups and resolutions.

Dilate

DOS Roms is a stupid meme someone has been trying to push for a few months in /vr/ if you're wondering where the hell this came from

I was never able to play any of wolfenstein games because I refuse to fight with our real allies.

>he doesn't remember the Wessel Lied a nostalgic childhood song

Attached: FB_IMG_1560299470295.jpg (720x649, 64K)

That's a bunch of B.S.
Next you'll start saying Sega Master System was the original Sega name (instead of Sega System) and that people shouldn't say PSX when referring to PlayStation 1.

Attached: sega-system.jpg (2000x1369, 603K)

>DOS-ROMs
ROMs. Sure. In the olden days, you used to have to open your PC and exchange the ROM on the motherboard to be able to play. I remember getting my first tools to be able to do it. You had to be careful not to bend the ROM's pins or you wouldn't be able to replace it after playing.

what are you talking about? nobody has used the term "dos roms" ever, not then, and not now

the same autist who's been pushing dos-roms also tried the same shit with "sega system" and "scotformers".

It did result in hentai games being referred to as "Beat em offs" so I can't hate them too much

Look up Game Engine Black Book. Goes into the details of what a pain Wolf3D and DOOM were.

Carmack's skill is overstated. Most of the difficulties were dealing with the tedium of multiple video drivers, audio drivers, and memory extenders. What made Carmack great was his ability to work 16 hours a day completely focused on writing code.

Google "graphics programming black book"

That's from the last century.
We have 64bit, shaders and technology now.

exactly?