youtube.com/watch?v=l56K8eAtCig
npmjs.com/package/is-even
ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-pyint/index.html
cristal.inria.fr/~weis/info/commandline.html
tutorialspoint.com/python/python_modules.htm
python.org/dev/peps/pep-0020/
benchmarksgame-team.pages.debian.net/benchmarksgame/fastest/go-python3.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

what would a python's feces look like after eating an alligator?

its always the same, so a bit of white calcium sludge. they break down their pray entirely

Based Python > /C/rocodile

I do admit that I often use python for different stuff, mostly because it is the easiest language to do in these cases and I can finish what I'm doing in the fastest way possible. But every time, EVERY SINGLE TIME that I use python I feel like a complete imbecile and I am pretty sure there is some amount of braincells in my head that are getting permanently damaged. Using it doesn't feel like programming, it feels like a joke. Not to mention how inefficient the end result is bound to be.

Attached: 1553682583905.png (438x632, 10K)

pero caca

god I wish that were me

Python is based, but Rust is actually the most sanely powerful.

Whats the best way to get into python?
I already know programming pretty well

When you nutted but she keeps sucking

moved away from the tard language that is Python and now I program in Go. Feels good mayne.

you shouldn't be using your big programming braincells on simple tasks. doing the simplest, stupidest thing that does the job lets you move on to interesting things.

You can never learn python perfectly because the biggest strength of the language is that everything you want to do has some parts of it already done by other people or by the language itself. You learn python by practicing a lot, pick up a simple project or a program. Then start doing it, but make sure to check on the internet for alternative solutions to all the actual problems and challenges that you face in your project. The idea is that python usually provides you with the infrastructure necessary to solve your problem that in most other languages you'd have to do/create by yourself.
So what I'm saying is that you don't really have to learn it, you get used to it and unlike most other languages like C/C++, Java, C#, GO and so on you don't need to get some background knowledge or theory behind the language to start doing stuff with it. You do simple tasks, that are very easy to remember just because they are insanely easy, in most cases you'd be feeling like arranging a puzzle meant for infants. Eventually you find out that for most of your simple tasks in your day-to-day programming you could use python to save yourself some time, a perfect example is making scripts or testing algorithms. Unlike a lot of people on the internet I think that Python could be easily the worst possible language to start learning programming with. It teaches you almost nothing of the real, hard and actually core stuff that programmers should know. There are plenty of core skills that are unlearnable with python like caring about the type of your variables or the return type of your functions, but the language still has a massive amount of guides and tutorials online that I'd say are useful enough.

Programming is a tool for solving problems. And the less programming you need to do, the better.
If you want to work on implementation minutiae then that is another field entirely. But it frankly isn’t important for most projects. I don’t need to care how my json parser is implemented so long as it works correctly and in an acceptable time.

>python3 eat.py alligator > /dev/null

That's a funny way to say Kotlin

Attached: IMG_20190706_184837_522.jpg (500x768, 64K)

Deploying python code is a nightmare.

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-07-05 20-16-23.png (71x62, 9K)

This is why docker exists. Every app gets its own little container :)

I'd like to dock up with you if you get what I mean ;)

Lets organize a swam over slack sometime :’)

It's named Python after Monty Python not the snake

Slower than Python 3.6 and 3.7, less useful at work, fewer libraries, and it's not even better at concurrency/asynchronous now

Imagine the smell.

yo OP I literally just spent all afternoon fighting with Python's garbo handling of bytes and ints, like I needed the two's complement version of a negative number in hexadecimal and for real that would have been easier in C.
Most powerful? no. Useful? Certainly. I think we all know the most powerful is Lisp.

Do you even pipenv, bro?

perl

that's a weird way of spelling Lisp

Attached: snake.webm (480x360, 1.26M)

I prefer Hy, the Lisp written in Python

Attached: B3D32A9A-CAAB-422A-91E5-DF242A669D7C.jpg (740x220, 59K)

hes a big guy

That's a weird way to spell C.

>Kotlin
Just fuck off, I had to do a project in Kotlin this semester at uni, Kotlin is far from sane or powerful.

This image turns me on

You will never be a woman.

you just reminded me that i didnt dilate yet today

Attached: 1535055673348.jpg (620x349, 95K)

I have a poorfag shitbox of a computer with two cores. Whats the easiest way I can use all my cores to get shit done in python? Keep in mind im a bit of a retard

I write everything in POSIX Shell scripts.
Today I wrote a web CGI for DICT daemon only using POSIX shell without any external utilites or programs (except curl). I didn't even use the simplest POSIX utilities like cat, sed, grep, etc. Tell me why would I need python? And if there's anything I can't do with pure POSIX Shell I can just use external utilities. Pic related. It's just dash parsing and formatting CSV.

Yes. I'm a sysadmin.

Attached: 2019-07-06-215522_718x877_scrot.png (718x877, 56K)

Python has a few big fuckups, notably assignment is declaration, a misfeature so bad even fucking JavaScript has deprecated it, and the utter typelessness of the language. I still use it but those are spectacular failures for a modern plang

use them to access amazon and buy more cores

60k dollars down the drain

multiprocessing library

>typelessness
python is strongly typed though

Are you talking about Go ?

Certainly if you can automate all the boring stuff...

that's an anaconda

nobody else wants read or write that shit

fucking shit man
youtube.com/watch?v=l56K8eAtCig
python is really the most powerful language

How about a full sized, big, African CROCK?

Damn, Python sounds really based. Kinda like the mother of all programming languages.

It's nothing without its libraries and C/C++ Interoperability. On it owns, it's simply an errand boy providing an interface between users and C program, while the C program does the real heavy lifting.

Attached: _73660296_snake_ap.jpg (410x230, 25K)

I don't see why, nodejs has more community libs and is just as simple to learn, and is faster.

If you like types, Go has types and is faster.

If you need even more speed, C++ and rust are even faster.

Seems to me like Python was the best for scripting until nodejs got good. Now the only reason to use it is if you don't know javascript, but know Python. But since JS is forced upon everyone for the web, the popularity, community libs and engine speed are just gonna keep surpassing Python even more year after year.

I understand how this can make you butthurt if you did most of your scripting before 2015 when python was king and hate Javascript because it was shit, but times and trends have changed.

npmjs.com/package/is-even

your mom is strongly typed by my dick

So what language is best to start learning programming ?

Attached: wonka.jpg (225x225, 8K)

>sum scripts
>programming

>pic
Fun fact, this is a more regular occurrence than FWC would like you to think. 'Domesticated' snakes are being released into the everglades at a rediculous regularity only to die when their eyes get bigger than their stomach and they LITTERALLY FUCKING EXPLODE from trying to consume a big boi gater.

that can be arranged

php

Like intestines because it's too large to eat and large pythons have a habit of having eyes bigger than it's stomach.
Bit like the literal snake variety 2bh.

Attached: 1562150605571.gif (640x360, 439K)

Snakes are not that bright.
Why do you think the GFC happened?

Attached: 1545959473075.gif (479x497, 509K)

step 1.
use the command line, not an IDE
in beginning, you will learn far far more about data/objects if you do not use an IDE. The IDE obfuscates. You see things clearer, you see the basic tools, of python (which the IDE will obscure). That is apart from the issues concerening IDE (maintenance,operation). Brings me onto

step 2.

use linux

python is installed in linux. python on windows is a nightmare - it is also slow.

3. learn about 1. the python command line >>, how to manipulate, identify objects (start by finding about the "type" command type(objectname). Everything is an object, you can interrogate objects. Python is open, can be used happily for introspection.

Guide to Python introspection

shows, "introspection", how to examine data/objects within the python command environment (the code that you may write to create a system can be run, line by line in the safe "sandbox", python shell (type "python" to get it) >>

next. learn all about the "python debugger", pdb. If you use "print value" .. or use print statements to track your code, you will get nowhere fast, it is very wearying. Find one of many guides to the "python debugger" (pdb module). Learn how to import it, learn how to operate it.

pdb.set_trace()

i said 'python command line'. that is, the "python interpreter".

v good article to get anyone goin in python (introspection)

cristal.inria.fr/~weis/info/commandline.html

next, "pdb"

learn about modules/import right away.

tutorialspoint.com/python/python_modules.htm

this article was "introspection"
gets you goin in examining things, learning facility/terminology. bye.

this advice is absolutely fucking retarded, if he already knows how to program i'm sure he knows the basics of debugging and OO design.

to OP: use whatever the fuck IDE/tools you want, they don't hide anything (any halfway good python IDE natively integrates with pdb and other helpful tools like linters and static analyzers) and only make your life easier. for python the only thing you need to understand is what it means to be "pythonic" - i know this sounds like bullshit but once you understand why and how the python language was designed, all of the techniques and best practices flow naturally from there. this will be much more helpful than trying to learn a language by using the fucking debugger (???).

listen, dickhead - they don't "make your life easier".. they may, down the line. in learning, dickhead, you don't use an IDE. as I said, it's like learning to drive, using a driverless car. You need to learn the manual operation of the system/car/python, before you use an IDE.

I gave in general, a few pointers that I have always tood by

learn about the python interpreter
learn about modules
go through the ibm article "python introspection"
learn about the python debugger, pdb
learn about exceptions

i didn't see that he said that he already knew.. I wanted to give an overview. the ibm introspection article is very very good, idiot.

learning the fucking debugger is essential.
it is not an advanced tool.

so, with this guys advice you have beginners who have spent lots of time configuring/using/installing an IDE. just one of dozens of cruddy fking ides. AND THEY CAN'T EVEN USE THE DEBUGGER. its IMPORTANT, that beginners learn to use/get used to using the intrinsic python facilities, rather than some fucking obscure, off the shelf fking IDE (of which there is a lot of garbage).
Try to contribute to threads in future /out.

this is also completely valid, for someone who 'is familiar with programming'. Anyone who is getting into python needs to know about the python platform. He's talking about "the zen of python" .. understanding of which, for any convert to python, would be some way down the line.

python.org/dev/peps/pep-0020/

the 'zen of python' doesn't teach somebody who has just picked up python, much. Better to use/do, introspect, using the FUNDAMENTAL python tools, provided by the benevolent dictator (etc)

"python is a systems language" ~ guido van rossum

jeez, where do i even start? there's nothing to learn with pdb if you've ever used any other debugger before, which i would assume is the case for someone claiming to have programming experience.

same with exceptions, same with modules, possibly the same with the interpreter (if previous JS experience or similar). you can almost directly port knowledge from other programming languages into python, but you will probably be misusing python features - that's why it's most important to learn how to do things in a pythonic fashion; to take advantage of the native capabilities of the language instead of shoehorning python into the box that is your existing knowledge. for example, exceptions are used as a very common flow control mechanism in python, while they're intended only to handle truly exceptional conditions in C++.

duck typing (another pythonic idea) is far more important than introspection in python. your ibm article explains how to introspect, but not when or why. i don't know why you're so obsessed with this one feature.

same with IDEs. as i said, IDEs give you access to all of the same tools (pdb, interactive shell) and more. the python command line is incredibly sparse as well, there's maybe a half dozen things that are useful - python, pdb, venv, setuptools is literally all i can think of, and setuptools is just a bunch of flags for the interpreter. is there truly value in typing out commands every time, or have you just staked this out as the hill you will die on for no reason?

perhaps we're making different assumptions about the OP's experience. to me, picking up python as a 3rd or later language is trivial - people joke about python being pseudocode, but it really is one of the easiest languages to use without prior knowledge. in my experience, the worst python code comes from people who are very good at other languages and refuse to learn python because their old way already works in the new language.

i scanned the post and thought it was a complete beginner. thats all /out
my advice was aimed at a nuclear beginner. i am sure it will help somebody.

i hate IDES.

as was stated on Jow Forums, some time ago, someone in experience, stated that people who had 'only ever programmed through an IDE' have no idea of the origin of data, it 'magically appears', is presented to them. Re: the importance of introspection. a prospective mechanic, say of the said car, would have to have a knowlege of nuts and bolts, the fundamental components of python, IDE programmers aren't flexible. Also. lots of IDE is boilerplate. There are many many reasons not to be using an IDE, initially, in creating anything.

C , ansi 11

i apologize for my tone in my first post. your advice is pretty good for true first-timers, and it's unclear what "I already know programming pretty well" really means. i agree that everyone needs command line skills, but i don't share your hate for IDEs. all of the anti-IDE people i work with run enough emacs/vim plugins to be basically using a command line IDE, but they refuse to admit that when i point it out. i think the quality of life features that are provided by IDEs are universally liked, but the level of obfuscation can be an issue for people who don't understand the basics well enough.

well we agree there. i apologise for my tone, also.
agree in 'obfuscation' .. my complaint about ides is the amount of boilerplate around it, that people have no idea of. I've used emacs with java and i found it to be really ugly .. i didn't see why you had all these long pathnames. It didn't appear to help me in anything. People were driving through the IDE, to produce a small amount of code (this being on a university course), most of the time was getting to grips with the IDE. a f3 racing driver should be using python alone. a f2 maybe some IDe tools. IDES obfuscate. recently have been helping a programmer getting across to python, with stated advice. fortnight of flailing around with IDE issues, I turn to him and say please ditch the IDE, it gives you no benefit at all, in beginning. spent a lot of time with ppl saying "how do i install python" (on windows) a. 'use linux', please. Im writing my own IDE. its pretty cool

underrated

Attached: 1560281974876.png (1200x963, 111K)

>tfw learnt programming from making bash scripts to automate random tasks
On the plus side, I now know about a dozen ways to pipe text to/from a program

Fuck you, I jumped here with the end attack.

What he is actually saying user, is that it is a shit language.

>Based Jow Forumsuy

I used to do the same, for stupid stuff like a tinder swiping bot or some sort of scraper.

Now I just use bash, it's basically python, but python 2 outperforms bash on a bigger scale. Bash outperforms python on smaller stuff. So if you need bigger data stuff, no need to actually use bash or python while you can use a compiled language like c.

Jesus christ, didn't expect to jump after you posted this, but I did.

Go smashes the shit out of python in speed and concurrency.

benchmarksgame-team.pages.debian.net/benchmarksgame/fastest/go-python3.html