What is Jow Forums approach to improve language learning?

What is Jow Forums approach to improve language learning?
Is it worth apps like Duolingo?

Attached: duolingo.png (500x900, 108K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaced_repetition
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

books

fpbp
/thread

books or audiobooks
the point is to hear it / interact with it

Doubt. I used to read books in english, but i'm still getting called pajeet or esl constantly. Books are not going to help you speak that much, only understand written language and improve vocabularly.

I read books in English, but I don't speak a word of the language. So no, you are not going to learn a language with books. You better man up and speak it daily.

probably your accent lol

imageboard in language you want to learn.

Attached: 1516354539682.png (512x512, 51K)

I'm currently learning chinese which is more or less the hardest language for an english speaker to learn and I've been studying this question for about half a year now in addition to learning chinese.
my overall answer is that you need a wide variety of different learning materials, and ultimately you want to be using native audio and text material as your primary learning tools in addition to actually using the language for real.
I use lingodeer which is like duolingo but paid and focuses on east asian languages, where it's much better than duolingo
I also use pleco, which is a dictionary, and it's flashcard function to learn with spaced repetition. this is like anki and teaches words + characters
I also have audio resources I use while driving. for example pimsleurs
then I also have graded readers which have a rough vocabulary level to them
I also have grammar books that I read through
many people use textbooks as well, but I found this didn't work well for me. at least with chinese.
I like the apps because they have a good connection between reading+hearing+speaking and let you look things up easier than on a book, but they simply aren't enough to be everything you learn from.
I also practice with the chinese people that are everywhere where I live.
watching chinese tv, and reading regular chinese materials would be a major part of the learning as well but they're simply too difficult for me after a half year of intensive learning, roughly 1-4 hours a day. I also intend to play total war 3 kingdoms in native chinese.
finally, I intend to book one on one lessons with a tutor in a few months once I have better knowledge and mastery of the basics

>Jow Forums
>books
>interact

Attached: doubt.jpg (300x222, 8K)

its not worth learning any language except english

Attached: freedom-is-best.jpg (625x614, 115K)

it's going to be chinese

i used duolingo for German and it got me a decent amount in? Problem is things like that dont teach you how to construct sentences, only read and understand whats said.
Now that said ive only gotten about half way through their courses and i have like a 5th grade level of skill if i had to guess.

Learned more with duolingo vs rosetta stone.

Still not even nearly fluent in anything I studied though.

Wife and I are learning Russian via memrise + Flash cards and some russian speaking friends
I'd like to find some good resources on real sentence structure and grammar but there are few resources (that I can find) for learning russian
listening to native speakers is probably the best so I try to download Russian news and listen to that.
Any slavanons got any resources? зapaнee cпacибo

אם אתה קורא את זה אתה הומו.

Spaced repetition is the science-backed approach. Anki is pretty good for that.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaced_repetition
Otherwise I'd just recommend full immersion.

yet you are forced to learn french and spanish, mutt

kindly do the needful sir

we're offered several languages to learn including spanish, french, italian, german, japanese or latin. you're not forced to learn any of them.

Basic concepts:
1) Learn vocabulary
2) Learn sentence structure(s)
3) Understand sentences in "slow" contexts (e.g. reading, starting with the most basic shit)
4) Construct sentences in slow contexts
5) Understand sentences in "fast" contexts (i.e. conversations/speech; the best example usually being a newscast intended for a very broad audience; popular movies are also good; anything else will likely be too idiosyncratic to be useful as a language learner)
6) Construct sentences in fast contexts

Ultimately, those last two points (conversational language skill) are the most important, but you need a solid footing in the language to get there.

Thanks for the info. Here’s my tumtum piercing

Attached: 7EC82968-116B-4D76-8A1A-BCAFD0F06EED.jpg (3264x2448, 1.28M)

Good luck user. I tried doing this a bit back but gave up. I ought to pick up where I left off and start studying Chinese again.

i miss daddies cock so bad :/ do I act like this because of lack of normal childhood?

depends, are you a girl (female)?

Youtube is pretty great tbqh. Subscribe to interesting channels that speak the language you're trying to learn and watch the videos without subtitles.

English is a foreign language to me. Reading is all you need after a certain point, you start noticing the patterns in the language that grammar rules don't easily convey.

Passively learning things doesn't help unless you are high IQ. You need to speak to people repeatedly in real conversations. Get a voice chat language exchange app like wakie when you get good enough

Btw language learning gets increasingly difficult after childhood

this could actually work, but you'll mostly learn extremely colloquial language

I found that learning colloquial language was one if the harder task for me when i was learning foreign laguages, and once i did, i found communicating with people that much more fluid and enjoyable, and communication with others is one of the most effective methods of reinforcing and learning.

duolingo teaches you how to play duolingo, it's far from able to actually teach you the language itself

Best way to learn Japanese?

you can't learn japanese

it's not actually possible once you're older than 13

Well then he still has time!

I learned to read hangul in like two days using one of these apps (Droplet? something like that). Hangul isn't very hard to read, but still. I'm a retard and it worked. Now actually learning korean..that's another story. Been at it for years and i'm still not even at a conversational level.

learn the characters first using a mobile app or something. then fully immerse yourself in japanese shit, start listening to jpop groups on YouTube so you're exposed to the characters trough the video titles. Lyrics are a good way to learn too. Watch their movies with subs on, then try rewatching the same movie without subs. Just stay the fuck away from anime.

Duolingo is a game. It's good supplement to actual study.

If you can afford it hire a teacher (Skype makes this easy).

As a self learner, every language has a different approach. You wouldn't learn Latin in the same way as Chinese. Find communities of learners and imitate the methods of successful ones. If you're not going to study at least an hour a day you are wasting your time.

you can study for 20-30 minutes and then watch a movie in the language you are trying to learn, or something like that. also, I found it fun to just go on imageboards in that language and try and figure out what they're talking about.

you're doing something wrong, probably not working hard enough. korean is hard but you should at least be roughly conversational after 2 years

If you don't live in Japan it's a massive waste of time. It takes thousands of hours to be an intermediate for little career gain. I have JLPT N1, so trust me when I say that it is completely pointless to learn Japanese if you don't live in Japan.

If you do live in Japan, do RTK, memorize a phrasebook and then practice from there.

Attached: 1523142378281.jpg (640x480, 16K)

i'm just a lazy cunt, really. I'm learning the language for all the wrong reasons too (namely to read the shitposts on ILBE and to sperg out about my kpop waifus more effectively).

Sure, I would count that as study. Just make sure the movie doesn't have subtitles in English. If subs helped you learn everyone on /a/ would be speaking Japanese fluently

There should be only one official language on Earth, don't really care much which, whatever as long it makes translating dead
t. ESL

that's why I said to stay the fuck away from anime in a a previous post. i'd probably watch the movie with subs on, then again with subs off. even better would be to print the subs out and only look at them physically when you really didn't understand something at all.

Any audiobooks that can help me learn weeb?

I want to learn Japanese for fun and for consuming Japanese content

I have no motivation though and procrastinate heavily. Is there any hope? I was going to pick Spanish but it sounds bad, German isn't very useful either. I'm in my 20s

Attached: ff.png (1920x1080, 3.11M)

Or should I try Mandarin?

learning an asian language takes about as long as learning 3-4 european languages, anybody who does it should have a damn good reason or a more legitimate interest than anime

>get into a jpop group
>find 3D waifu
>obsess over her like an insane person
learn japanese for her. if it works for koreaboos, it should work for you too.

>you don't even know english

It takes like a year of an hour per day to understand anime.

That's a good idea. Best thing is to find a movie you love and rewatch it repeatedly. It really helps. Something originally in English and dubbed in your target language is also a perfectly acceptable source of listening.

you know mandarin is in many ways harder than japanese right, go look up the shi poem

Thats it? I need to start then. What do you recommend for starting?

I'm a cunny man myself

I have heard mandarin is harder yes, I assumed it might be more useful though. But Chinese dont have anime or any real quality media I can think of

there's probably underage jpop girls, there's a bunch in kpop.

Attached: iu[1].jpg (474x710, 51K)

is right.
Learn how to speak like an American and consume as much English media as possible and you'll finally be able to get out of the ESL curse.

chinese has nearly no interesting media, it's mostly useful in that it lets you communicate with chinese people and to function in china or deal with chinese locations. because of that, you can really only successfully learn it if you are actually going to be doing something with the language. picking it up just for movies or games or whatever like people do with japanese will be a complete waste of time and you'll never even come close to learning the language. it's just too damn hard.

>Être moi
>navigue sur Jow Forums pendant 7 ans pour apprendre l'anglais
>avance rapide à hier
>unanglaissauvageapparaît.webm
>il me dit des phrases que je n'arrive pas à comprendre
>je répond aléatoirement 'lol faggot' 'cringe' 'based and redpilled' 'yikes'
>il me regarde comme si j'étais fou

I think it went pretty well overall

duolingo is shit and useless

Only good thing about duolingo is the gamification/social pressure part. When you get your streak going you don't want your friends/family/studying partners to see you slack off and lose it. I think biggest obstacle to learning a language is quitting learning altogether, whatever gets you to avoid this is helpful.
Compared to more traditional ways of learning, duolingo is in my opinion inferior use of time but in the end it will be worth it if it makes you avoid quitting.
Overall, I think the avoiding-quitting part of language learning process is under discussed, strategies to avoid quitting are underrated.
Duolingo alone isn't enough of course, for me it's just a reminder app with some social pressure added. I don't expect to learn much from it, I do most of my learning outside of it.

I learned Japanese to watch anime, read manga, VNs, LNs, etc and it was worth it because now I have 1000x more fap material.

ディジェティ

I think 4 chins helped for a few bits, but yeah mostly with profanity. L'immersion en pratiquant sur quelque chose qu'on aime reste le mieux.

תלכו תזדינו עם ישראל חי

Anki + eroge.

Attached: anki sisyphus.png (960x476, 681K)

Book + Anki

What do these moon runes mean??