How reliable is Fedora? Does it shit itself on upgrading releases...

How reliable is Fedora? Does it shit itself on upgrading releases? For desktop usage for normal work(no server) between Fedora and Arch which one would you pick?

Attached: b.jpg (474x266, 6K)

Other urls found in this thread:

educba.com/centos-vs-fedora/
educba.com/linux-vs-ubuntu/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Fedora is the best

Fedora for sure. The most stable in-place version upgrade I've ever used.
Bleeding-edge updates like Arch, and stable release like Debian. The perfect mix.

Attached: winter.png (733x303, 36K)

fedora master race checking in

I mean nearly every single one of the top supercomputers in the world run redhat because of it's high reliability mixed with also being fairly up to date and overall an advanced os with good support
fedora is just consumer redhat

Definitely the best desktop Linux experience out of the box. Arch is probably better if you want to tinker around a lot, but stock Fedora is great.

I'd personally choose arch as its a bit less bloated than Fedora but it really depends on your use case. Fedora is a bit more stable tho which is a plus.

fedora would be based if they switched to kde default and supported it better, gnome is gay shit

stop memeing and start living

OP here, what are the first things you should do after installing it, besides adding repos/installing third party to install codecs and other non-free stuff?

I've been using the KDE spin for years, it's just as good as the vanilla Gnome... probably a bit better.

Ex arch user here, now on fedora. I simply did not have the time for arch. Arch is very fun if you dont need to be productive, but it takes alot of time. Arch as a toy and fedora as a work machine imo. Sucks that dnf is so slow though.

Dnf being slow is kind of a meme because it updates the repos every time. Example:
>dnf update
Is the same as
>apt-get update && apt-get upgrade
Repo updates are good practice anyway, so in that context, it's not slow at all.

with non meme operating systems that's where you're done with it and just use the computer, most people aren't used to that though

Does Fedora still have the TUX web server built into the kernel?

>How reliable is Fedora?
Am using it for 5 years now. The only time something broke was because I forced some scripts from another distro on it. >Does it shit itself on upgrading releases?
No, but fresh releases seem to always have their little quirks which you may interpret as shitting itself on upgrading. Stay half a year behind and your good to go.
>For desktop usage for normal work(no server) between Fedora and Arch which one would you pick?
I am biased as I already chose Fedora as my main, but a plus of it would be that you're also learning parts of CentOS and RHEL for future projects.

Attached: 5b6e22aee4d87c68e8d2b4f809bb42b48bedca21r1-1080-612v2_hq.png (1024x580, 218K)

Every now and then you have to shift+Function over to a tty console to log in and bypass the log in gui due to gnomeshell glitches et c.
Another solution is to set up x yourself by installing fedora core instead of the D.E. spins.

Mate or Cinnamon work best, xfce on fedora tends to have a fucky compositor problem

If you're going with Gnome there will probably be a lot of tweaks/extensions you'll have to do since it ships vanilla.
And, change SeLinux to "permissive" or "disabled" (Google that). SeLinux is made for closed-network servers, so it can be a pain for regular desktops.
Also, if you have any services that require exposed ports, you'll have to open those manually because firewalld is enabled by default, which is a good thing.
*Tips hat*

Attached: thatfeelwhenusingfedora.png (442x293, 66K)

You know what, CentOS is a better choice

Can Fedora be treated as rolling release?
I can just upgrade without problems when new distro version releases, right?

>You know what, CentOS is a better choice
Nice meme. Maybe for a server, but for a desktop? Lemme go suck a dump truck full'a dicks first.

Fedora is pretty great. I'm not sure how well it handles upgrades to the next version, you should be fine but I think some people recommend reinstalling.

dnf is pretty based too, I especially like the delta rpm upgrades it does. Never really had a problem with dnf except a while back when I had nvidia and was trying to install the drivers the wrong way (use rpmfusion).

Personally I prefer Ubuntu based distros and apt since that's what I was raised on. Fedora is a good distro though.

It can be treated as rolling yes, but technically isn't because there are six-month version upgrades, which are flawless and easy.

educba.com/centos-vs-fedora/

Eat shit.
See OP:
>How reliable is fedora?
It's testing for Red Hat Enterprise Linux, so not at all
>Will it shit itself after updates
Regularly, I've found Arch to be less buggy and that's pathetic

Yes, although they sometimes remove software from the official repositories between versions (e.g. F30 sacrificed SciTE).

I am trying to choose between Fedora and Opensuse Tumbleweed.
I use Arch on my desktop and I love it, but I am about to get a laptop for work and I need everything to be already setup so I don't have to go search for packages when I need to do something normal like browsing my phone's files with usb.

At the same time I need up to date software, Ubuntu is out. Fedora and Tumbleweed seem to be the only options. Maybe Manjaro too but the Arch memes made me racist against it.

I guarantee you don't run CentOS as a desktop. Post a pic or you're a fucking liar.

I've used CentOS as my desktop OS since it was available.

More to the point, if you can't use CentOS as your desktop OS, then maybe you can't handle Linux at all.

The fuck is that article?
>The advantages of CentOS are more compared to Fedora as it has advanced features in terms of security features and frequent patch updates and longer-term support whereas Fedora lacks in long-term support and frequent releases and updates.
>CentOS package contains all the required things for entire release whereas Fedora distributes its most of the packages over the network rather than in a single distribution.
>CentOS officially supports x86 and x64 architectures of operating systems and supports the Physical Address Extension Feature whereas Fedora current versions support Servers, Work Stations, and Personal Computers.
>CentOS was developed and its design was based on RHEL which is available as a paid subscription service whereas in Fedora users can upgrade the software without any reinstallations.
>It has many advanced features in it to provide great features for the users and hence it has been the choice of most the users.
>Fedora being an open sourced and freeware it has some features which are proprietary, it is not being chosen by most of the users in their computing machines to reduce project costs in the commercial point of view whereas in the case of CentOS, it has few advantages compared to the Fedora like technological advancement features and frequent releases which will be considered by the most users to choose it as the Linux distribution.

What did you expect from a site that compares Linux to Ubuntu?
educba.com/linux-vs-ubuntu/

How's the current desktop? Never installed a gui with it..

No pic, he definitely uses Windows.

Problem with CenOS desktop is, all the packages are so old, they can't run modern desktops at all. For example, they're a full version behind on Gnome and KDE and that's all you get because the GCC compiler is so damn old.
This is great for servers, but desktop is lacking.

Attached: gibson.png (637x427, 43K)

>bloat buzzword

Attached: 1561662683045-g.png (599x553, 210K)

I uninstalled firewalld on day zone, switched to ufw and never worried again.

sudo yum remove benis

Attached: 1551845248301.png (201x250, 5K)

Pretty sure OP is looking for up to date software.
Nice try Debian and CentOS shills. Go back to your server farms.

Attached: ebf14338dbf5cd7bfc2620344221482e.png (480x480, 44K)

OP asked
>How reliable is Fedora?

And your notion of "up to date" is "bleeding edge". There will never be a reliable bleeding edge software because it's an oxymoron.
You are a regular moron

I dual boot both, I would say fedora if you do anything programming wise, opensuse if you do virt stuff.

>The people hated Jesus, for he told them the truth

Mageia is the real answer
>based & rpm-pilled packages
>in-house management of nonfree and commercial software "tainted" repos
>focus on stability AND desktop user needs like multimedia

Now, when the guy says he wants a distro with everything useful in a working state by default, I think of PCLinuxOS KDE Full Monty but sadly that distro is abjectly unsupported and frankensteined.
Wish the guy who maintains Full Monty would do his own spin onto a major distro base instead

dnf is awfully slow. Go Arch.

CentOS still has based Yum

Also CentOS has delta-rpm support (although it has to be turned on)

the version 7 just realeased. But people rarely talk about it.

>CentOS still has based Yum
Only for a couple more months. Cent 8 is all dnf.

Mageia is so fucking based.

It gets drowned out because stabilityfags never try anything but what they were first told to use (debian) and bleeding-edge-fags are convinced they NEED the ALPHA RC of all software on the machine so they love arch.

Normative humans just end up using ubuntu or distrohopping until they find something that has what they need, or give up and go back to Windows

Disgusting clown world bullshit

No, and that is my major reason for sticking with it instead of Opensuse and Manjaro/Arch.

Very stable yet current packages.

Attached: 1557609370042.jpg (752x960, 59K)

Has anyone else ever used YaST effectively? It never seems to behave right

>"Arch"
>"less buggy"
I have been running Fedora since v27; now on v30 without a single system boot error/bug.

I had Arch on a laptop that didn't boot multiple times within 4-months. Then after Arch I tried Manjaro on a new laptop for 6 months that died again. I said fuck Arch and ran Solus on that laptop for 2-years without a single problem. I grew tired of lack of packages on Solus and decided to have both of my computers run Fedora 29/30 but GNOME on the desktop (still running without reinstallation for 3+ years) and Kde plasma on my laptop.

I also tired out Arch on a little sbc and within 2-months refused to boot.

Arch is unusable unstable garbage.

YaST is OK, but you have to add the right repos via Zypper.
Fedora is similar with RPMfusion, but Gnome Software Center has much better integration.
I use the KDE Spin, but still install Gnome Software Center because it's so fucking good with dnf and Fedora.

It is always being worked on. Opensuse actually has many more bleeding edge packages then Arch offers often. I wanted to like it but tumbleweed suffers from frequent crashes. Leap is pretty good from what I hear but the upgrade cycle reliability is still questionable when compaired to the upgrade stability of Fedora.

Yeah that is just the kde team being... special in their own way. The kde software center distro compatibility is often a major turnoff for me.

I think you should try mageia, it's like if Fedora didn't need rpmfusion, and has the Mandriva control center which is awesome

>kde team being special in their own way.
Lel, yeah Discover sux dix. But if you install gnome-software and uninstall Discover, it works great. You just have to be careful not to install something that pulls down half of Gnome with it, which is no big deal if you're not retarded.

You guys know Linus Torvald runs Fedora on must of his computers right? He said he hated heavily proprietary distros but wanted something clean and stable with current software to do kernel testing.

Actually looking back on the relationship between Linus and the FSF really started to fall apart when Linus supported many things Red Hat was doing with updates while the FSF wanted mostly the opposite for the kernel.

Attached: 1562235141759.png (460x460, 2K)

Yeah I might give this a go on my f30 kde laptop. Kde does have a lot of customization features that GNOME w/ tweak tool simply don't have unless a tweak is coded.

I like both desktops. But... there is still a hole in my heart for the Crunchbang#! Testing 'ol days. Openbox & fluxbox was something special for a bygone era of 32bit systems and a whole slew of customization distro installed scripts.

Yup confirmed. Linus has said this multiple times over the years.

Attached: 1426002140479.png (650x488, 523K)

>Does it shit itself on upgrading releases?
not yet, I have noticed it not install an update for whatever reason that it already has downloaded if you restart while at the same time as checking for new updates but that seems like a sanity check and it installs the update fine next restart

setting max_parallel_downloads=10 in /etc/dnf/dnf.conf speeds things up a bit

Fedora is the best.
The only argument you will hear here is
muh NSA muh corporation muh systemd
muh pottering
and a bunch of other bullshit

nobody runs CentOS on a laptop unless it's for a specific project.
most like fedora better for a desktop.
fedora has betas and a constantly updated nightly branch, fucking idiot.
Red Hat doesn't even rely on the testing Fedora does, fucking idiot. Since they test and fix a Fedora snapshot with their own fucking patches for more than a year before releasing Red Hat.
They just benefit because Fedora installations are very similar to Red Hat.
Just like Ubuntu is using the kernel 4.15 giving zero shit upstream doesn't maintain 4.15, because they maintain their own shit.
Saying Red Hat relies on fedora to maintain their distribution is absolute bullshit

This kind of shit is why I use parrot for my development. It's made to run all kinds of stuff.

the fact that Linus hates the FSF is fucking based.
I love him and the kernel.org guys

>That GPU
I'm sure whatever ati atrocity is embedded in your motherboard would do better.