/fwt/ - Friendly Windows Thread

Welcome to /fwt/ - Friendly Windows Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about Windows and share their experiences.

This is NOT Windows vs any other OS thread.
*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly Windows Thread ***

Tell us about tools, utilities, configs, tips and tricks that make your life with Windows (more) bearable (or even pleasant).

Last thread: Posting an updated infograph, changelog:

>changes i did
added a piracy section
changed colors on a few icons that looked shit on the current color scheme
removed Little Registry Cleaner since its outdated, inferior, and shady (marked as PuP due to some malware bundling it)
made a new trip that i try to not lose

>accepted changes you suggested

>add back win7 x5
added POSReady 7, since the update future of normal Win7 is uncertain

>add win81
added Embedded 8.1 as an alternative OS

>remove ccleaner x4
removed

>remove DuckDuckGo x4
removed

>remove vlc x3
removed

>add chocolatey x3
>add Scoop x3
added, in a new section named "Package Manager"

>add photoshop
is professional / specialized and slightly botnet software, however piracy section now has CCMaker.

>replace ownCloud with nextCloud
replaced

>replace W10Privacy with wpd.app
replaced

>gog is not oss
made it purple

>mpv.net
added

>add WinDirStat x2
added

Attached: windows_software_infographic.png (1920x8181, 1.66M)

Other urls found in this thread:

bitbucket.org/windirstat/windirstat/issues/193/getfileattributes-appears-to-take-up
bitbucket.org/windirstat/windirstat/issues/26/use-nt-native-api-or-irps-for-enumeration
bitbucket.org/windirstat/windirstat/issues/164/look-at-using-the-ntfs-mft-to-speed-up
share.riseup.net/#JDMEJr5U0OGKtNkzzaRWOA
youtube.com/watch?v=3spnGnavWFg
microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=26558
mega.nz/#F!XfhmyIJa!tkyXE7pyGYVzLOE8jXN0-w
forum.ru-board.com/topic.cgi?forum=35&topic=80561&start=300#9
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Anyone try both ltsc and embedded 8.1? Wondering what the differences are.

>no MusicBee
It's honestly pretty comfy though it isn't OSS. Free though.

8.1 embedded has windows store, and some embedded tools (limit usb device types and other unimportant things, theres a list somewhere). Otherwise it's pretty much what LTSC is to win 10.

The first entries in the PDF and Search sections are flipped

Fuck, meant the title bars. I need to get my eyes checked

Does anyone have the windows 10 debloat guide? Or is it not necessary with ltsc version of w10?

>WinDirStat
WizTree is better imo. Rather than crawling through directories like WinDirStat, it scans the MFT so it's magnitudes faster at enumerating your files. It's freeware/donation vs WinDirStat's FOSS

whoops

Attached: windows_software_infographic.png (1920x8181, 1.65M)

Attached: 1558973593553.png (2023x7836, 1.85M)

this is old
disregard

unnecessary, wpd.app should do enough

I think I'll look into porting that feature over to windirstat

turns out there are already various issues discussing this on WinDirStat bitbucket:
bitbucket.org/windirstat/windirstat/issues/193/getfileattributes-appears-to-take-up
bitbucket.org/windirstat/windirstat/issues/26/use-nt-native-api-or-irps-for-enumeration
bitbucket.org/windirstat/windirstat/issues/164/look-at-using-the-ntfs-mft-to-speed-up

does microsoft not provide official ltsc downloads on their site?

only consumer versions are available for download. just get it from some random torrent

verify the hash that i can't post here because "Error: Our system thinks your post is spam. Please reformat and try again."

share.riseup.net/#JDMEJr5U0OGKtNkzzaRWOA

cant find any clean torrents unfortunately so none share the same hash.

its the file hash not the torrent hash obviously
try this:
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:6FAEC726C7BBB9248B3A3ED8D77BD1A7C4598F05

safe md5/sha1 sums are floating around, download from somewhere like my digital life and check the hash.

the thread with all the good svf-s got raepd

also, md5 and sha1 is not safe

How to mount a VHD(X) at startup on Windows 10? Used to use a startup script that ran before the logonui appeared (good if your user profile is on the VHD(X)), but since about 1709, it hangs: as far as I can tell, the VDS hasn't started up completely (any diskpart command just dies).
Any way of doing this, short of writing a device driver?

How is Steam "pay for" software? You only need to pay for things if you want to use the chat feature fully. You can just download Steam and play F2P games just fine.

>threads/63324/
>you need an extremely large stick and a strong arm to shake it vigorously, to even cover half the svfs there
What?

Attached: 18115922.jpg (400x400, 10K)

for a single checksum it's fine, but there are SHA256 sums out there as well. the point is to download from wherever you can find it, then check the sum. There are always magnet links in random threads on MDL. Look harder, user.

you basically can't use any community feature until you spend $5 on steam

you can set prerequisites for services.
maybe if you could make your thing into a service you could make it start after VDS

Actually did give that a try - winlogon and logonui had already started trying to log me on (with predictable effects). Once upon a time (Win2k?), winlogon fired up user-mode services synchronously, but nowadays it just sends everyone a start command, let's the SCM figure out dependencies, and hops right into logonui.

but SCM should "figure out" you depend on VDS, no?

>This is NOT Windows vs any other OS thread.
>*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly Windows Thread ***
Be aware, Linux users will flood your thread and attempt to troll it to hell, they did that with Haiku, and they failed to do that with *BSD.
They are probably the most cancerous and vocal group on the internet.

Yes, it does. But by then, winlogon and logonui are trying to log you on, because they don't wait for service startup.
That's why back in the day I used a startup script - I just had to wait a few seconds (I used the timeout command in the script), and by then, the VDS was up and running so I could belt out my diskpart commands to mount my virtual disk.
But since 16299 or 17134, no matter how long you wait, diskpart just hangs. Eventually Windows (which has a five or ten minute (can't remember) timeout on startup and shutdown scripts) figures out you're hung, kills it, and you're back at square one.
If you can think of a way of making winlogon wait until my...
Thanks user, a startup script with SC QUERY MyMountService on a loop until STATE : RUNNING should do the trick!

Attached: 1405101451185.jpg (400x309, 16K)

They want to "convert" people to use their operating system wherever they go, they look like a cult to be honest. They sound like those religious kids that knock the doors on every house and attempt to sell their bullshit books.

>POSReady 7
I've never heard of this. Where can I find it ?

youtube.com/watch?v=3spnGnavWFg

>sell their bullshit books.
Unlike the bible thumping religious kids that knock on your door, we are bringing FREE (as in FREEDOM) enlightenment in the form of GNU/Linux. Come, child, and be cleansed by the light that is libre software.

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (709x980, 97K)

So what's the most recent browser for XP? Does the POS update trick still work?

GOAT video desu.

We don't give a fuck about your software, if we ever need it, we know where to find it.
Trolling our threads and bitching about your software isn't going to make us use it.

Fuck off you retarded subhuman. Get a job and a haircut while you're at it.

You know he's just shitposting right ? Taking the bait like this is shameful.

Now, for the POSReady 7 section, please add that it might not have support for newer motherboards. ( I just tried it )

You should probably note that OBS supports NVENC

Search and PDF titles are switched around I think

My Windows was activated using kms38, is it worth it to change to kms_vl_all or is it not botnet?

HwIDGen > kms38 > kms_vl_all

>I forgot my trip
Bullshit.

bump

>HwIDGen > kms38 > kms_vl_all
It's worth mentioning that HWIDGen can't activate LTSC 2019 and Server 2019, also Office 2019 Volume has to be activated with KMS_VL_ALL

so is OP pic good by Jow Forums?
Should I consult it?

Only the KMS38 (38 years activation) option activates LTSC 2019.

A bif off topic but my computer will randomly restart when I play certain games, does anyone know why this could be?

Could honestly be anything. Overheating cpu, faulty gpu, motherboard or psu.
Swap out components to test it or take it to a computer shop and ask them to swap them and test.
Also check if it restarts on stress tests as well like prime95

My dad has both a surface pro 3 and a surface go over here. All he uses from Microsoft is onenote (he needs to sync shit with this), word and stuff related to the windows ink workspace. The rest is screen mirroring over wifi, 2 or 3 applications from the store and that's about it.

Anyways I noticed these things are quite slow. It takes a while to open something like chrome on the SP3 and it seems to boot slow as well. I scanned these for malware and the software running in the background doesn't seem to be the culprit for those boot times.

Would there be any issues with drivers or such on LTSC? I know both the store and edge can be added. I intend to install that, the stuff he actually requires, disable defender and replace it with something hopefully better.

WTF? VLC just works. Why remove it?

not that important, kms38 is only inferior because it tries and fails activating every once in a while, while normal kms activator succeeds

POS already ended support. There is no XP based system supported anymore at all

Start using reactOS, Microsoft is up in arms about it again. Means that reactOS is actually improving

Remove Open hardware monitor and replace with HWiNFO, it's actually updated and has a lot more features.

HWiNFO is already on it though

>KMS_V_ALL github page has a chinese description at the bottom
no thanks. what are the alternatives? KMS38?

>Only the KMS38 (38 years activation) option activates LTSC 2019.
Wrong, KMS38 doesn't activate for 38 years, it activates until 2038, so 19 years from now.
KMS_VL_ALL also activates LTSC 2019, the SECO Injector's .dll hook used by KMS_VL_ALL is automatically renews the 180 days period by 7 days, therefore it is infinite activation; loops forever.
If you also install Office 2019 Volume on LTSC 2019 then it's better to use KMS_VL_ALL, because KMS38 can't activate Office.

because github isn't official. Official thread is on MDL, with source

>muh chinese botnet
The github page of KMS_VL_ALL is unofficial, retard. Official source is on MyDigitalLife forums, it's just that some chinese guy has uploaded it on github from there, not everything is chinese conspiracy ya paranoid burger.

>requires login to even view the threads
fucking forums

defender is literally the best according to tests. it only has somewhat more false positives.

LTSC should work fine since it already had 1809 at one point in time naturally, but anyways what's to lose

>it only has somewhat more false positives.
More like a lot more than any other AV, Defender has even removed my own cracked binaries, made by myself, so i know they are 100% safe and there is nothing malicious in them.
I have my own conspiracy theory about this: US government pays Microsoft to flag cracked binaries as malware in Windows Defender signatures just to make normies scared of piracy, it's anti-piracy agenda.

they intentionally do that, yes.
I made a windows activator (in fact, the one that OP contains uses it as the main activator part) and it only got flagged after getting public.

then drop an email and ask if its me

microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=26558
mega.nz/#F!XfhmyIJa!tkyXE7pyGYVzLOE8jXN0-w

About to install w10. Can you disable windows defender? I'm not too fond of anti virus software bloating boot times even if it's just for 1 second

>About to install w10. Can you disable windows defender? I'm not too fond of anti virus software bloating boot times even if it's just for 1 second
Defender is very resource intensive, not only it slows down boot time, but also usual system tasks, to disable it is not easy, there are like 6 services, 20 registry keys and a few scheduled tasks that you need to modify, your best bet is to download original .iso image of Enterprise LTSC 2019 x64 and use the Optimize-Offline script from github to remove SecHealthUI from the offline image, the script will rebuild a new .iso with Defender fully removed with all of its dependencies and remnants.

yes you can
i wouldnt recommend what said though, simply disabled services don't hurt anyone (unless you *really* need that few gigs of space), and it's safer that way.

Will wpd.app break anything on ltsc 2019?
Also, I think you should add WINAMP to the music players list.

deezloader remix

I'd like to interject. What you are calling Windows is actually... erm, Windows. Right. Carry on then. Good thread.

>Will wpd.app break anything on ltsc 2019?
It can break notifications and Action Center if you disable too much services, for example i know for sure that disabling the "Windows Push Notification Services (WNS)" service in WPD will break Action Center and notifications, also, if you disable Microphone access, then you won't be able to use the Microphone not only in UWP (Metro) apps, but even in classical Win32 programs like Skype, Mumble, Teamspeak, etc, same with access to Camera.

replace firefox with icecat

Consider adding a virtualization section

Free software:
-qemu is available for Windows
-bochs: software emulation only, minimal solution
Partly free software:
-Virtualbox (for running win2k or later windows)
Non-free software
-HAXM: Intel's virtualization solution you can use with qemu to get kvm like performance
-Windows HyperV
-vmware (has freeware and paid versions)

didn't mean to quote that post, sorry

Dont know where to ask, so i wanna use rtorrent in wsl, but toreent cant start, is there alternative tk do this? like use virtuakbox and mount my windows partition on it? Or alternative rtorrent in windows

g-guys, how to install windows 10 enterprise? can I install windows 10 pro, and then upgrade it, or do I need to find a windows 10 enterprise iso?

you can try msys2 or cygwin, but running a native client should always be better

you need to find one, not that it;s particularly hard. there are bunch of links on mdl, as well as trusted hashes

thanks, i could easily find one

How do you disable it?

>"Windows Push Notification Services (WNS)" service in WPD
There's nothing that's called that in WPD, though

I imagine there's a bunch of fake malware CCMakers. Is there a known safe website to get it from?

iirc some reddit post has the hash. then you just grab torrent from some random torrent site

it's closer to "has paid version" than "freeware"
while it's true you can technically use parts of it without ever paying a dime, it's really designed to sell you things
it's like arguing that a supermarket is free because they sometimes have a stall where you can taste-test something for free... it's not really the point, is it?

>I imagine there's a bunch of fake malware CCMakers. Is there a known safe website to get it from?
The original source of CCMaker is on russian forum named ru-board.com - all other sites just reuploaded it from there and some pajeet-tier sites might infect it with malware. Always get it from ru-board if you want original.

forum.ru-board.com/topic.cgi?forum=35&topic=80561&start=300#9 (login required, use google translate if you can't speak russian)

Thank you. Only weird thing is that the MD5 in that post doesn't match the MD5 given in the archive. Not sure what that's about.

FUCK OFF
I still remember the spam YOU SHILLS flooded on /fglt/ and still do. The anti-GNU spam, the pro-BSD and pro-windows spam, and the shit in-between. And you still do!

Yet you have the nerves to say such things. FUCK YOU!

Attached: 1429422513993.png (1201x884, 2.39M)

Duh...I'm asking if the updates til last April are still available.
Despite the fact that I am one of the few who actually donates to the reactOS project, no it's still shit at this time.

Still need a browser.

>Despite the fact that I am one of the few who actually donates to the reactOS project, no it's still shit at this time.
they need more code donation than monetary, unfortunately i can't help them since I've used WRK before which means I'm legally not allowed to afaik

ReacOS has NetSurf and it supposedly works.

I'm a welder not a coder so I'm not gonna be able to help out. All I can give is a lil money to help cover costs.
Unfortunately without drivers it's not gonna work. While I can use reactOS on my own machine my kids first computer is an old XP netbook from eBay... something to start with that nobody cares if she breaks. And that's where the browser is needed.
So it doesn't matter what reactOS is using I still need the latest XP browser.

Fuck if it were my machine I'd just install Xubuntu and be done with it. But I have the latest working Firefox, but figured somebody had something slightly newer.

>Still need a browser.
MyPal works just fine on reactos.

It's a fork of Pale Meme modified to work on windows xp and 2003.

serious question, not trolling. Is there like any open source or alternative modded version of windows that doesn't have all that tracking stuff? I have read about the LTSC version is it good enough to use for regular joe?

>Is there like any open source
ReactOS is mostly unusable clone of XP. Other than that you're better off with wine, they share the usermode code anyways.
>or alternative modded version of windows that doesn't have all that tracking stuff?
theres one shilled here occassionally but its pretty shit. For example you can't get updates with it which is a much more serious security concern, since NSA can just exploit one of the millions of bugs.
>I have read about the LTSC version is it good enough to use for regular joe?
It is, have it installed for parents, so i don't have to deal with bi-yearly updates breaking their shit every time

>>or alternative modded version of windows that doesn't have all that tracking stuff?
Just use LTSC 2019, you can modify the original LTSC 2019 .iso image yourself with a tool like NTLite (proprietary) or Optimize-Offline github script (free, recommended), never use homebrew .iso images, learn to modify windows yourself - it's not that hard.

bump