Which is a better career path? IT Networking or Software Development?

Which is a better career path? IT Networking or Software Development?

Attached: hqdefault[1].jpg (480x360, 41K)

more jobs -> IT
better jobs-> software

personal preference

Networking. Pajeets are shit at it, because it requires genuine skills and it's really easy to tell when it isn't working.

who makes these images?

programming

you need to know networking for programming anyway

"Networking" is inherently tied to decades-old protocols which might cease to exist in the foreseeable future.
Programming is timeless.

for many fields, you really don't

>"Networking" is inherently tied to decades-old protocols which might cease to exist in the foreseeable future.
I can't tell if you're pretending to be retarded or just retarded

Go ahead, try to make a compelling argument this time and people might listen to you.

Why not both? You'd be infinitely better network engineer if you know how to program, or better programmer if you knew how the underlying network works.

What about embedded dev?

so networking moves to a new protocol, what makes you think it will erase networking as a profession as a result?

It won't, of course, but you'll have to learn new stuff since what was previously used effectively becomes irrelevant. Hell, even IPv4, arguably the most important networking protocol in wide use nowadays, is slowly, but steadily getting replaced by IPv6, which is fundamentally different in many ways.
There are virtually no general, technology-agnostic principles in networking, unlike computer programming.

If you can see the tech-agnostic principles for programming but can't see them for networking you're either autistic, retarded or ignorant.

What are the tech-agnostic principles in networking?

You're just ignorant then, carry on.

Learn them both, sysadmin and netadmin are deprecated roles today without at least knowing automation, but at FAANG it's networking oriented software engineers that rule that part of their infrastructure.

pick the one you hate less

I consider myself to have a good foundation in networking though it isn't my job so I'll give this a try. I think it's good discussion anyway

1. The network layers (physical, data link, network, transport, session, presentation, application). Very helpful to understand regardless of protocols to communicate with other docs

2. The algorithms for finding other computers on the network. Their specifics might be tech reliant but their general details are not. Dijkstra's algorithm for example is still relevant tho not used exactly

3. Securing data in transit requires knowing what data is relevant to the transit and what isn't. Cant encrypt the recipient address for example

4. Network design has nothing to do with the tech. Proper segmentation of a network, where to place firewalls and network services, servers, users

5. Ipv4 firewalling is tech dependent but the concept of filtering message is tech agnostic

6. Authentication is tech agnostic. Kerberos, public key infrastructure, etc. The Needham-Schroeder key sharing protocol was developed in the 70s, was found vulnerable in the late 80s, and fixed in the early 90s and is still relevant today despite tech changes.

7. Load balancing is never going away

8. The political nature of the entire internet is not going away. Tech may change but it's still a vitally important global investment that depends on cooperation between many countries

You really should learn both. Regardless of what part of tech you get into networking is very important. Not enough software engineers get it at all

Networking

no skills, just memorization

there's no 'skill' involved with networking, claiming that just makes you look desperate and pretentious.

>sysadmin and netadmin are deprecated roles today without at least knowing automation

Which is to say they're not depreciated. There is still an immense business value to having somebody watch over infrastructure. Automation is fragile and gets out of date and has to be maintained.

I mean the whole "death of sysadmin/netadmin" thing is throughly out of touch with reality. There's still so many jobs and the field is going to be shrinking no time soon.

Programming may be the field with overall better career prospects but I don't enjoy the field even close enough to do the lifelong learning required. This is actually the bigger consideration OP. The career burnout rates for ALL of these fields is pretty high.
Programming/networking/sysadmin are very needy fields that expect you to be learning during your free time.

If you learn how to be a plumber you learn how to be a plumber once and then you're pretty much set other than occasional skill updates. Pay is great. Indoors. 9-5. Be a plumber.

Netadmins have known how to use ipv6 for years and years they just avoid doing so because it actually low key sucks balls. Yes you have to learn new stuff as the new shit becomes irrelevant hmm almost sounds like another field called programming hmm...

P.S. If you want something on the more network side with better career prospects look into netsec. Learn how to be a literal hacker.

networking
2-3 weeks of getting the company up to speed and actual work
3 months of stupid normie questions and posting on websites about how stupid everyone else is and how you're superior
3 months of doing nothing and getting blamed for every stupid fuckup from everyone else
then corporate realizes you are no longer necessary and lets you go or puts you on hourly

software development
a couple of months of working remotely from home
a couple of months of dealing with stupid company politics bullshit
you get an offer to sell the software
you take a percentage and retire early with infinite income

I also have to generally agree with this guy
Honestly you can go further from the dev side if you understand the ops side... you can go further from the ops side if you understand the dev side. Businesses lack people who understand both more than they lack code monkeys and cable jockeys. You don't REALLY need to pick one or the other...

You go even further than that if you understand communication, how to manage people, and all those soft skills. Since the real world is deeply corrupt and actually being good at your job will only take you so far and learning how to deal with people will get you further. The skills also generally have more longevity and general applicability than any programming/networking skills.

Accurate.

Also, IT easier to get into without a degree but places a higher importance on certifications. You can get by with previous experience alone in IT but you’re really just crippling yourself. There aren’t nearly as many options for verifiable self-teaching in programming.

Lol not really

I can’t fucking wait for IPv6. NAT is dogshit.

dont you mean "verifiable self-teaching as in programming"?

Both....

playing soccer