Why get a degree when MOOCs exist?

You can apply for financial aid if you're poor and do Coursera courses for free. Learning coding for free. If you actually learn coding then employers really respect you because they like self taught people. I'm laughing at degree fags rn

Attached: MOOC_poster_mathplourde.png (824x518, 53K)

>employers really respect you because they like self taught people
but recruiters and interview schedulers don't

If you make your resume look fancy with a fancy template, and know your stuff they'll be impressed

The quality is questionable I'm assuming. Also it doesn't have the pressure to interact with people and conduct yourself that a degree program has. I'm just doing a diploma program so it's probably not really better than a MOOC but sometimes this program is pretty high pressure even though I'm not learning that much useful stuff. I'm literally only learning C, Java, C# LAMP stack, Spring/Thymeleaf, diagrams, Linux. Not even learning Python or anything that's in demand but I'm only doing this because I fucked up my university education and I don't want to keep forcing my parents to keep paying money so I went for a cheap program that I could afford myself. Call me stupid but I think this is the right thing to do even if it's not the best thing for me.

>and know your stuff
yes, THEY have to know YOUR stuff
but YOU knowing YOUR stuff isn't relevant in this part of the process

you can have a degree, or you can have nepotism
there isn't middle ground

You made your choice. You want that formal certificate.

so where do you work, op?

Unemployed but then again not finished with my moocs

Just have to tell them.

>get MOOC certified
>qualified for entry level position
>impress employer with your skill
>convince them to pay for your real degree

That's the real redpill desu.

you'll never get passed HR idiot

You can't call me a Mook

Then what are you to be called?

I dunno but don't be callin me no mook

I have taken several Coursera courses and most were better than the courses I took I college. My company won’t hire anyone without a degree though except in rare circumstances where the person has loads of industry experience already. The degree can be in anything but you gotta have one. It’s like this in most major tech companies but maybe you can find a desperate startup or something and get paid shit until you get enough experience to move on.

>Not even learning Python or anything that's in demand
So learn it yourself in between studying. Your teachers (well the good ones) would be overjoyed for you to be doing that. You really mustn't think that education is only ever something that is done to you, because that's a bullshit way of thinking.

You don't go to a university to learn programming. If you did, then you and your university are retarded.

Why do people want to go through the motions of useless shit so much?

>mooc
Who?

Academic education doesn't exist to prepare you for a job.

But it should