/obsd/ - OpenBSD General

OpenBSD is a free and open-source, security-focused, Unix-like operating system.

*Please remember that this thread is not meant to be a discussion about Linux vs OpenBSD*

FAQ:
>How do I get started?
-openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html

>What are the available graphics drivers?
-amdgpu(4): AMD Radeon GPUs using the amdgpu kernel driver (not enabled by default yet, still Work-In-Progress)
-intel(4): Intel integrated graphics chipsets
-radeon(4): ATI/AMD Radeon video driver
-efifb(4): EFI frame buffer
-vesa(4): Generic VESA video driver

>What are the available wireless drivers?
-man.openbsd.org/?query=wireless&apropos=1

>How do I set up Full-Disk Encryption?
-openbsd.org/faq/faq14.html#softraidFDE

>Why OpenBSD?
-sivers.org/openbsd
-over-yonder.net/~fullermd/rants/bsd4linux/01 (discusses *BSD in general)
-why-openbsd.rocks/ (shows up a random fact about OpenBSD whenever you load it)
-openbsd.org/innovations.html
-en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenBSD_security_features

>Should I use -release or -current?
-If you're using it in your home machine, then -current is most likely what you're looking for since it contains updated packages.

>How do I follow -current?
-openbsd.org/faq/current.html

>How do I upgrade -current to the latest snapshot?
-Just run sysupgrade(8) as root.

>How do I get help?
-OpenBSD man pages
-OpenBSD mailing lists: openbsd.org/mail.html
-daemonforums: daemonforums.org/
-OpenBSD FAQ: openbsd.org/faq/

>Book recommendations:
-Absolute OpenBSD (2nd edition)
-The Book of PF (3rd edition)

>Miscellaneous:

-c0ffee.net/blog/openbsd-on-a-laptop/ (tips for a laptop installation, contains some useful information)
-openbsd.org/lyrics.html (OpenBSD's songs)
-cdn.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/packages/amd64/ (list of available packages)

Feel free to ask questions and discuss topics that are related to OpenBSD.

Attached: D-E-lKvWwAI5Egr.jpg (750x1000, 93K)

Other urls found in this thread:

adelielinux.org/
man.openbsd.org/fdisk
unix.stackexchange.com/questions/482569/debian-10-buster-update-grub-command-not-found
openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html#Multibooting
warosu.org/g/thread/53880928
instituut.net/~job/LINX99_route_servers.pdf
openbsd.amsterdam/
undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20110420080633
openbsd.org/papers/asiabsdcon2018-xray-paper.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

lolis

Daily reminder that OpenBSD isn't even secure or POSIX-compliant enough to let users browse YouTube, Google, Facebook or other sites without getting you hacked.

Said the Linux user... tsc tsc tsc

That's why I use Inspur K-UX; it's the only POSIX-compliant Linux distro for PC, while EulerOS is the only POSIX-compliant Linux distro for phone.

If I wanted to go full paranoid and lock down all the hatches on OpenBSD system, what text editor and email client should I use? Ed and mutt?

If you wanted to go full paranoid, you wouldn't even use email.

nah, you would, but you would encrypt everything with pgp.
Also, vi is fine. No need to restrict yourself to ed, as openbsd has its own vi in the default install.

How is it compared to Linux?

Marginally better in performance, but marginally uglier with its default UI unless you're fine with late 80's aesthetics.

>Inspur K-UX is a Linux distribution based on Red Hat Enterprise Linux produced by Inspur, a Chinese multinational company specializing in information technology. Inspur K-UX 2.0 and 3.0 for x86-64 are officially certified as UNIX systems by The Open Group.

Enjoy your "security".

Attached: 1562398129277.jpg (480x480, 80K)

>marginally better in performance
Do not lie user. Every knows (even openbsd users) than OpenBSD has as shit performance if compared with Linux distros.

>Marginally better in performance
MY
FUCKING
SIDES

Attached: 2019-07-07-201559_766x645_scrot.png (766x645, 62K)

>Jealous that there are 2 secure Linux distros with full POSIX compliance
There's soon to be a third...

adelielinux.org/

BSDistrofags BTFO

Attached: tenor.gif (400x400, 155K)

Indeed

Attached: 2019-07-07-201756_752x594_scrot.png (752x594, 56K)

>Upset that the Chinese have made 2 secure and POSIX-compliant Linux distros
>When American'ts don't even know how to secure anything they make

Attached: 1557195651680.png (1537x899, 840K)

Can you guess how I know BSD is shilled by corporations and this thread is sponsored by CISCO and other companies?

See >better in performance

This is what you get when you deal with a weak and corrupt-propense license. Lies. And you, BSDfags, are all letting this slip.

Attached: why.jpg (288x492, 43K)

>And you, BSDfags, are all letting this slip
Correction; BSDistrofags

Previous thread
I'll just post how I installed OBSD and Debian 10 (which was released in the last couple of days)
-in case people with less experience than me want to see it
-in case people with more experience than me can improve it

First a note from OBSD fdisk man page which you should read first man.openbsd.org/fdisk
>CAVEATS
>Hand crafted disk layouts are highly error prone. It is common practice, though by no means required, that MBR partitions start on a cylinder boundary (generally head 0, sector 1, but head 1, sector 1 for track 0), and that MBR partitions also end at cylinder boundaries.

I set this up as non-EFI MBR because it seems to work ok for my purposes and I don't know enough about EFI yet. I start by booting the install USB drive as non-UEFI.

I did my first install with the "whole disk auto layout" to see what OBSD would do, then redid it making the partition smaller with fdisk but wasn't happy with how I lined up the OBSD partition so I redid it a third time. If you do something like that then during the install when it asks whether you want to use the (w)Whole disk MBR or (g)Whole disk GPT or OpenBSD area or (e)Edit you type e, then type "print" to print the partition layout and "help" to get the fdisk hints (they're also in the fdisk man page)... then if you're installing over a previous OBSD install type "edit 3", then if you look at the entries I made the lines that apparently have no entry I just pressed enter and it left the default (previous) value. You must leave the OpenBSD partition as partition ID A6 and bootable (it must be the only bootable partition according to the FAQ). I edited in CHS mode so I could set up the partition to end on a cylinder boundary (ending head 254, ending sector 63) using approximately half of a 250GB SSD.

Attached: SAM_0058.jpg (2592x1944, 1M)

Then type "write" to write the partition scheme and "exit" to return to the installer. MBR partition 0 in my layout is a logical partition with Debian 10 on it from my previous install (which I'm about to overwrite). You are allowed 4 primary partitions on a disk, and a large number of logical partitions, and you'll see that OpenBSD fdisk shows you all 4 primary partitions. Within the logical partition with Debian on it there are many further logical partitions, and within the OpenBSD partition there are further partitions viewable with the "disklabel" command. You can see that the suggested OpenBSD layout is using approximately half of my 250GB SSD. I press enter to select the auto-layout...

Attached: SAM_0060.jpg (2592x1944, 1.04M)

Install the sets...

Attached: SAM_0063.jpg (2592x1944, 1.06M)

Install Debian...

Attached: SAM_0064.jpg (999x607, 140K)

>BSDistrofags
>BS
I see what you did there ;^)

Now log into Debian, switch to root with "su - root" (if you use just "su" you won't be able to run "update-grub", which is explained on this page unix.stackexchange.com/questions/482569/debian-10-buster-update-grub-command-not-found ), and edit "/etc/grub.d/40_custom" as described openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html#Multibooting
Then if you want grub to load OpenBSD by default "nano /etc/default/grub" and change DEFAULT=2 (that selects which item on the grub menu is the default, with 0 being the first, 1 being the second and 2 being the third which will be OpenBSD), and you may want to change TIMEOUT to 2 too.
Then run "update-grub".

Log in to OBSD and look at the partition layout... the first entry shows the basic fdisk primary partitions, the further entries are related to the logical partition with Debian on it and I don't really understand what they mean.

Now I'll just give some links to previous posts I made about FVWM for people interested in playing around with FVWM.
I made a typo in this post, it should have been "sysctl hw.disknames".
There is this old thread about FVWM, may be helpful/interesting warosu.org/g/thread/53880928

When you first install I suggest setting "Use xenodm to log in" to "no" so you can see the startup messages. Then once you've seen them switch to root and type "rcctl enable xenodm" and reboot to straight into FVWM.

Attached: ob65fdisk.png (1920x1080, 46K)

Finally! Someone sees the hidden gem in my meme

If you want a command to run at log in time put it in ~/.xsession

xwd is X window dump, a preinstalled screenshot program, you can convert .xwd files to png/jpg etc with GIMP

fuck off

Attached: 1561986591427.gif (480x286, 1.71M)

>Upset over the truth
Face it; you can't really complain about Linux's compliance to anything while boasting that OpenBSD has better standards.

I have a legit question. What companies in the IT industry use OpenBSD for server use, outside of customer usage on VPS boxes?

I don't need to complain about Linux. I USE LINUX. Alongside Windows, OS X and recently OpenBSD.

So why be a salty retard over the honest truth that every OS you're running is shit?

proof?

>no TRIM support

>Responding to obvious trolls in an obvious troll thread

>salty
now that's called projecting

Attached: 1560671715486.png (5000x4000, 1.02M)

You need to go back

Attached: sataniabtfo.webm (1280x720, 1.3M)

based

Attached: 1560730060333.gif (480x286, 3.03M)

>Samefag being ultrasalty
Are you seriously that trolled by the honest fact that there are 2 Linux distros out with POSIX compliance and a third in the works?

>samefag
humm no sweetie

Attached: dsdsdsds.png (1288x575, 72K)

>Using 3 proxies to samefag
Time stamps never lie.

See

Attached: satania5.webm (1280x720, 2.65M)

Attached: tinfoilhat.jpg (1024x768, 427K)

So much saltiness tonight over a legitimate fact presented by

Forgot to add this one for even more saltiness. Man, you fags are pathetic; you're what ruin Jow Forums with your constantly fueling drama.

Why are you so mad, troll? Are you trolled?

Attached: 1561569343036.png (600x1078, 485K)

Why are you so triggered by pixels that light up in a specific pattern on your screen?

It seems you've got it the other way around, seeing how you keep responding to the same post repeatedly.

wasted gets, man. Just report the faggot and move on, instead of being a faggot as well.

Chill out troll or you get a heart attacks

Oh look; it's that guy who shitposted the great wall of cringe that shutdown the Haiku general thread again.

>guy shitposted
>haiku general
Who?

>Keeps on shitposting about
>Claims they're trolling the troll
Actually, no; that's how you FEED the troll by getting offended over the facts they present. And note that reporting this as trolling would also fall as missclassified or false reporting, since there's nothing they're inherently doing wrong by presenting this fact to you.

Redpill me on -current. Is it easy to install? Does shit break often?

Attached: large-6396.jpg (500x500, 82K)

Firstly, man the harpoons, Ahab! It's Moby Dick!

Secondly, OpenBSD is much more stable than Arch, just as well documented and doesn't have the security loopholes of Ubuntu. So no, it doesn't break unless you do something wrong to break it in the terminal. Installation's easy as well.

A couple of weeks ago, there was a spat between 2 trolls on the very last Haiku general ever to be posted here. One troll kept on sperging out about his mom not getting tendies, while someone else just kept on quoting every single on of his shitposts as a response, until he came out with about 20 or so shitposts making a big wall of cringey quotes.

The worse I ever seen in pkg_add -u not upgrading all packages and that just means upgrading to a more recent release of current. It is really fine unless you have a mission critical server.

Isn't there just a way of automating updates for this? Or is this something Linux is more advanced in?

Never needed it so I am unsure. Best of luck.

Don't listen to this faggots, try it for yourself on a VM. Period.

>Haiku general
So that's why nobody made a Haiku general in a while...

>Shilling
See

The best part is that the mom shitposter ended up getting all his posts deleted, probably got banned as well because most likely the other troll who was egging him on also reported his shitposts.

Fuck off from /fglt/ fags, stop shitposting, I thought you knew we dont want you there

Attached: disappointment.png (487x410, 138K)

Faglet detected.

Fuck it! Try also what this faggot shills , he will not let you go until you try his beloved Linux distro. Such miserable human being.

Haiku isn't Linux. You seem visibly upset. Point to me where Stallman touched you.

See And

This is some serious entertainment, watching you make an ass of yourself online.

Attached: mfw.jpg (195x298, 35K)

Why are you angry? Nobody was shilling anything.

I'm talking about these faggots...
Maybe I was wrong to mixing you in the pot, but hey! Now we have a third OS to try it on a VM, Haiku!

This thread is full of mom basement trolls. OP nuke it now. Let it go.

Attached: 1561781689212.png (591x273, 143K)

Well, there's no need to be upset over facts being presented by people who want to deliberately shit on your favorite thing. Just do the same thing right back at them. Secondly, just report any trolls you see, keeping in mind the dangers of false reporting.

Sounds like you're the guy described by

Nah, I'm new here, I want to read about something interesting on topic, but ended facing a "big wall of cringey quotes, quoting" like said.
Also I'm not native English speaker, maybe I sound annoying or upset when it's not like that at all, I'm not triggered by OS flamewars. Unironically, I want to try and see with my own eyes what they shills so passionately.

But nobody's shilling anything; you just think they are because you think presenting facts is trying to force someone into converting, like what the Jews thought Jesus was doing. Pic related.

Attached: Stallman vs. BSD.png (499x499, 301K)

correction: s/,\ quoting//

Some mid-sized internet exchanges like YYCIX use OpenBSD/OpenBGPD for their backend. instituut.net/~job/LINX99_route_servers.pdf

OpenBSD Amsterdam uses OpenBSD/vmm to host VMs for customer use. openbsd.amsterdam/

Various smaller companies like M-Tier and Genua use it for "hundreds" of employee workstations.
undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20110420080633

OpenBSD is used for secure networking/firewalling architecture in hospitals. openbsd.org/papers/asiabsdcon2018-xray-paper.pdf

>Listing papers instead of actual use cases beyond a university and an overpriced VPS that exists solely for collecting "donations" to the OpenBSD project.
Mind you, M-Tier and Genua sounds like they're doing something cool in implementing this on workstations, but I didn't ask about workstations; I asked about servers outside of rental VPS services like your 2nd example.

Because text editors have so many vulns

I said that I'm new here, so on linux too. Honestly I don't know what full POSIX compliance is, or why I should care at all about, there is too many things to learn now to me, both on Linux and *BSD.
Don't worry, when "this is why you should use POSIX compliance OSes" blocks my path, I will worry about studying it.
Meanwhile, your facts are pointless to me. I'm here to read about OpenBSD.
Make a Inspur K-UX thread and maybe I'll go to lurk around there.

>Forkbombing yourself through a vi keybind

You seem to be more mad that you're not finding anything beyond opinions up here. Perhaps you should go visit the OpenBSD and even Inspur K-UX websites to learn more.

Vi isn't pledged?

Do you specifically formulate your posts to make as many people hate you as possible? Or is it a natural talent.

Wasted get.

Also, what do you expect from a tripfag?

I'm done with this shit board. Good luck with the next openbsd thread.

You mad, brah?

>You seem to be more mad that you're not finding anything beyond opinions up here
Why you care about that? Are you projecting on me?
>Perhaps you should go visit the OpenBSD and even Inspur K-UX websites to learn more.
Why do you think you need to tell others how to surf the internet? Perhaps you should follow what you said also. I do that already, OpenBSD docs are very comfy to read.

>OpenBSD docs are very comfy to read.
What the fuck does that even mean, you gonna curl up in a fucking cabin and pull out some OpenBSD docs in front of a fire?

God you are such a faggot.

>I do that already, OpenBSD docs are very comfy to read.
So why are you claiming to be a noob? Poor bait.

>tripfag calling others faggots
You just made my day

If you hate me, that means I'm important to you. Thank you.

Attached: 1561795580261.gif (218x218, 1.5M)

Fuck off you huuuuuuueeeeeeeeege (tripcode) faggot

What makes this thread any better than every other Intel vs. AMD thread, or every "How do I do this" thread, or every other consumerist or troll thread being shitposted up here?

If you're looking for a good thread, go to the archives, prior 2010.

Read some docs make you expert?

OpenBSD's users, what is your favorite text editor?

Attached: 3e2f09380820cb3b6061a23feef5fd541fda7196962a13f592a3c3c32bda5d73.png (932x711, 246K)

mg

vi

Aaaand the unix hardcores say vi or vi-like what a surprise

And?

>A couple of weeks ago, there was a spat between 2 trolls on the very last Haiku general ever to be posted here. One troll kept on sperging out about his mom not getting tendies, while someone else just kept on quoting every single on of his shitposts as a response, until he came out with about 20 or so shitposts making a big wall of cringey quotes.

Top kek

mg is an emacs-like not a vi-like