/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Do not dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: 1428086597577.png (800x800, 553K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bluetoothgoodies.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

first for CRUX

Attached: 1562552267453.png (1908x9382, 1.21M)

umm, bros?

also, how's solus

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-07-07 21-20-40.png (1600x900, 1.22M)

Thats the part of the wiki I was reading without much progress. I realize since im a linux newbie, me being unable to connect to the net is my fault, but I still wondered why it didnt use a more straight forward approach.

This is kind of what I was wondering about. So I understand the parts they removed where nor vital to the OS install huh. Thanks user, will read into networkManager.

If you update Linux, you need a reboot.

So much systemd specific

I saw it personally how the arch wiki is cutting a LOT of information and they dont put it anywhere. On particular, if is not systemd specific it may get removed from the website.

How to i switch to linux from windows without actually doing anything I hate windows but linux is hard

>linux is hard
not really
use a n00b distro for awhile and you'll get used to it

Attached: 1562552579530.jpg (191x126, 5K)

Lubuntu is your friend

Kernel and driver updates can require reboots to load the new stuff. There are ways around this, but they're typically more trouble than they're worth unless you're using an ancient machine that takes several minutes to reboot and you can't spare it right now, in which case you can continue going without rebooting and you'll just keep using the old stuff until you do.

It applies to every distro

>when you want to use Linux but not be associated with stallman

Attached: 1456770573230.png (851x479, 387K)

aight, this was the first update immediately after a fresh install on my t420, hopefully it's just because it needed some driver

but he's usually right about things though

Attached: 1556645838937.png (486x507, 199K)

Here's your solution: Use Android.

get out, fag

You can use gpl software without becoming a screaming freetard.

>when you just use Linux and don't care about stallman

Attached: 1562550215393.png (352x377, 167K)

get out, faggot

Linux is the kernel developed by Linus Torvalds, not Richard Stallman.

Microsoft employees are posting pretty early today.

Or late, depending from where Microsoft hired them.

What this user said but also, I like that
>to finish installing updates
doesn't mean the same thing it does on windows and mac, where it actually has to do more shit during the reboot and takes forever with your machine being unusable.

That never happens on GNU/Linux, so in this case what that message actually means is
>it's all already done, you just gotta restart to actually load up the new shit... if you want it

PLease sir, don't say the needful !

Attached: 1562533036957.jpg (503x574, 126K)

That guy is still pretty young though.
When he gets older he'll realize that he agreed with Stallman all along and just never realized it.

Yes it is. But the word can be used also to describe any linux distribution abstractly. As of the fact who developed or not developed the kernel - any linux distro is associated with GNU and so consequently with RMS.

I was just fucking around. I'm running Debian at the moment after a few years of dabbling with other distros and learning things here and there.
I do have some questions about compiling if either of you are willing to help.

Attached: sorry.jpg (1024x962, 67K)

But why?

Attached: 1528688000815.jpg (899x1280, 378K)

neat

Attached: 02f.png (349x642, 110K)

I just messed up my Gentoo installation catastrophically. Random symbols everywhere, it was bad.

9 times out of 10 it's because of memes, and the person saying that actually has no clue what GNU or Stallman stand for.

How? And did you fix it?

I'm just starting over. I restarted my computer and I'm going for it again.

I see. Usually you can fix basically anything from the chroot, though.

hello I have two dumb questions:
>can I issue commands after suspending a process (ctrl+z) and still resume (fg) after?
>can I use multiple ttys simultaneously? e.g. compiling in one and editing configs in another

yes
yes

thank you user

Just though I'd leave this here.. Have you noticed how much more protectionist BSD fans are about their projects being more compliant to POSIX than Linux, when there are 2 Linux distributions already on the POSIX compliance list with a third on the way? For some reason, this fact triggers the bros in /obsdg/ when all they need to do is start striving for POSIX compliance.

Attached: Stallman vs. BSD.png (499x499, 236K)

what's the hardest, most pain in the ass distro to install? I want a distro that if I manage to install it successfully, it means that I'll have no problems installing and configuring any other distro ever, ever again

Any distro that's to be built from source, like Gentoo.

gentoo? nix including custom configuration? I don't know, none of them are hard. Just takes longer

Source Mage GNU/Linux, you'll comeback a wizard.

Im going to Uni this fall and I just got a laptop, I was wondering if I should put linux on it. I have a pretty simple windows home screen with rainmeter so it looks nice right now but I hate all the shit windows does. I have some experience with Mint, I dual boot it on my desktop but I dont know how to use the terminal really. Any suggestions?

Stay with Mint, stay away from Arch and Gentoo

does kde plasma uses up a lot of disk space? i just take a look at kde neon and its live cd size is comparable to that of xubuntu, which is considered a "light" ubuntu spin

Do you think Id need windows for anything in college? I might need skype but thats it i think

if your computer is less than 15 years old then no

What profile should I go for? There isn't a hardened desktop.

guilt by association mentality will zap a lot of joy out of your life if you let it

If you want hardened, obviously hardened.

You can use skype on your Mint, for other applications depends what your college use but is generally fine.

Generically speaking you can replace anything, like Inkscape for quick image editing, Scribus for professional word processing, or Libreoffice for compatibility with word documents and spreadsheets.

It would help to know if there is a particular application your college uses.

Hardened means like security-hardened right?

I just installed debian 10 and I am having issues with the lock screen. Whenever the screen locks, either manually or through inactivity the screen goes black and I can't get it open again. I have to reboot every time. What is going on?

Jow Forums bros pl help. I can't do anything. any key i type either doesn't come out or comes out extremely slowly like a minute or two after.

WARNING: Failed to connect to lvmetad. Falling back to device scanning.
Volume group "ubuntu-vg" not found
Cannot process volume group ubuntu-vg
WARNING: Failed to connect tolvmetad. Falling back to devicr scanning.
Volume group "ubuntu-vg" not found
Cannot process volume group ubuntu-vg
Found volume group "ubuntu-vg" using metadata type lvm2
2 logical volume(s) in volume group "ubuntu-vg" now active
/dev/mapper/ubuntu--vg-root: 268161/7708672 files, 29307716/30819328 blocks

I have absolutely no idea what to do. Please help.

Attached: 5683A48E-E963-47A2-900F-428458E3C908.jpg (3024x3024, 1.49M)

Gentoo is updating the @world set whatever that means. And it's taking forever.

install gentoo

that means "recompile pretty much everything". Go make a cup of coffee or go for a walk or something.

What's a GUI based, gnome compatible system monitor that can display CPU temp and clock?

Is Gentoo literally compiling source code right now?

what DE are you using?

not him but yeah. @world is checking and filling in the gaps/updating everything you have stated through profile, use flags and your explcitily installed stuff. unless you've specifically chosen a binary package for something like firefox-bin, it will be compiling from source for everything.

This could take all night. I just chose the hardened profile so it wouldn't be as bad as if it chose gnome/systemd. Ok good night.

yeah just let it do its thing. goodnight user

Instead of using the fischer price gui to update you can use the terminal instead:

# this will update your system but will not try to force you to reboot
sudo apt update; sudo apt upgrade; sudo apt sudo auto-remove

Or you could use Synaptic or some other gui that doesn't force you to reboot.

Then simply reboot your machine whenever you want to actually apply the updates.

is that the krusty krab?

Is there anything like this on Linux (arch)?
bluetoothgoodies.com/

I'd like to know this too

What is the normal timelapse between installing Arch, and it breaking due to updates, assuming no partial updates?

XFCE

just open a terminal and type 62 characters instead of pressing one button xd

just look at the times between news posts that mention manual interventions

sorry I can't help, but take a look on relevant arch wiki pages. they have useful info for common issues there that often fix my problems

I'm currently installing gentoo on an old laptop. What filesystem should I go with?

HELP

I am running Fedora 30 and am trying to connect my PS3 controller to PCSX2. It's not detecting it, and it seems I'll need sixaxis or ps3controller or xboxdrv. Only problem is none of these seem to be stable on Fedora 30.

How can I...
>Get Fedora to detect PS3 input via USB (blueooth not necessary, but welcome)
or
>Switch to an alternative PS2 emulator with PS3 controller support on Fedora
or
>Get any of the above-mentioned methods to work on Fedora 30?

Attached: pleb_uber_alles.png (645x434, 70K)

the general answer to "what filesystem" is ext4 unless you have some reason to choose otherwise. remember that tons of source trees use a fuckton of inodes, so if the drive is very small make sure you create the filesystem with fewer bytes-per-inode.

thanks

>Get Fedora to detect PS3 input via USB (blueooth not necessary, but welcome)
usb ps3 controllers should just werk, make sure you've rebooted if you have upgraded your kernel since your last boot
>Switch to an alternative PS2 emulator with PS3 controller support on Fedora
there isn't really such a thing

it doesn't

you're pressing the PS button?
anything show up in dmesg?

holy fucking shit all of the sudden it just werk'd
god bless you cheeky motherfucker

yea man gotta wake that shit up

How the hell do I add users in debian 10? neither the command useradd or usermod could be found.

Attached: wtf.jpg (348x321, 29K)

why almost my command not found after installing DE? So i just netinst debian, after first reboot i install kde-plasma-desktoo manually, but in the konsole all my command was not found (ifconfig, wpa and others) but when i select advanced on grub that only shiw tty all commands are available again? Who the fuck make this mess
Installing other de or terminal produce the same outcome

use sudo or su

Ues su - instead of su.

If Linux is so good then why is Windows more popular outside 3rd world?

Attached: 280c24a5.jpg (839x637, 81K)

how drunk are you

legacy

Luke Smith had gay anal sex with Trapcode last Linux Fest

asenna gentoo

ifconfig got replaced with iproute2 in stretch user, you know that. I think net-tools is still in the repos if you really really want it.

Kerran lankesin, ei enää koskaan linuxia

>fresh install of ubuntu (without xorg) takes up 3gb of disk space
>install xorg requires another 1gb
is this normal? from my memory both of them don't need that much space

Attached: PEGF.gif (498x498, 1.13M)

>both of them
What do you mean both? The first one sounds like it's the entire collection of all your installed software.
If so then 3gb isn't a lot, considering

>"failed to initialise nvidia kernel module" near end of log
please help
>tried changing permissions on /usr/bin/xinit
>tried reinstalling drivers
>tried without nvidia drivers
>tried reinstalling xorg-server
>remade initramfs
>tried with and without nvidia-config
>tried deleting xorg.conf
>tried deleting .Xauthority
>tried startx as root but get X server "connection refused" with top error
>startkde says "$DISPLAY is not set or cannot connect to the X server"

Attached: IMG_20190708_203154.jpg (3121x531, 403K)

~$ sudo snap install vlc
vlc 3.0.7 from VideoLAN installed
~$ vlc -version
VLC media player 3.0.4 Vetinari

wtf?? how do i get the latest and greatest vlc

Stop using snap.

>The first one sounds like it's the entire collection of all your installed software.
i installed it with mini.iso, which is just debian installer
i only installed the "base system" and does not pick any tasks

why linux is better than windows when windows is better than linux ? :) :) :)

Attached: trollface-deal-with-it-troll-face.png (991x806, 105K)

vlc page says to use snap. i get the same problem with apt-get and manually installing ppa's. i keep getting older versions