/tpg/ - Thinkpad General

Previous thread: Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Quad Core Compatible, Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440s - best price/performance ultra portable
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)

Chink upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250u quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250u
>T70 - T60, i7 7700 hq
IPS displays, USB 3.0, m.2 x4, Mini Displayport
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Lots of used machines for cheap
>Keyboards regarded as some of the best on laptops
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels, MIL STD tested
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator lights, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate niggers swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: 1200px-ThinkPad_X220.jpg (1200x900, 154K)

Other urls found in this thread:

aliexpress.com/item/32833607205.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.4c2a4c4dApw8Bj
download.lenovo.com/parts/ThinkPad/t440p_frubom_20160614.pdf
download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/t440p_hmm_en_sp40a25467_04.pdf
octoperf.com/blog/2018/11/07/thinkpad-t440p-buyers-guide/#hdd-and-ssd-storage
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Is this a good deal?

Is this machine good for just shitposting on chans/discord and watching animu?

Also, is there expresscard slot on it?

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-07-07 23-48-15.png (1366x768, 496K)

Thinkpads are like cheap suits, but for the same price you can buy a different brand that is tailored toward your needs, for instance: better build quality, ultra-portable, FHD IPS touchscreen or even extra connections on the motherboard for modifications, like an iGPU setup. Unfortunately, Thinkpads don't excel at anything, so, I can't imagine why anyone would ever buy one.

You're wrong and if you were to ever look up the specs on other laptops you would see a running theme, each brand excels at something and if build quality is what you want, then a HP 2570p would be a much better choice than an x220.

Prove me wrong iJeet

You just reposted your comment and added nothing of substance

Prove to me that these laptops aren't good value for their sub-$500 price.

If you’re spending anything over $400 on a ThinkPad and not putting it into an X1E / P1 you are fucking retarded.

This isn't hard concept, compare the price and the specs on a x220 and a 2570p and then think for yourself, "Which is the better purchase?"

if i'm buying an x230 can i use an x220's battery in the x230? no idea if they're compatible

HEY! Where the fuck do I source some quality batteries for the X60?
I can only find literally one Amazon store that sells them and thats it. The store looks shady too. Where do you get new X60 batteries?

Attached: GunOwnersOfMaine301.jpg (320x323, 17K)

What the fuck does the X220 have to do with anything?

Also, the 2570p seems around the same price *or more* as a T430 or T440p. What the fuck is the point you're trying to make?

Take your (You) and shut the fuck up, go back to jerking off to pictures of Steve or Tim Cook

Seems like it according to Lenovo www lenovo com/us/en/accessories-and-monitors/chargers-and-batteries/batteries/BATTERY-ThinkPad-Battery-44%2B%2B/p/0A36307

Is a thinkpad the best choice for $90? Is gonna use for Office, shitposting, YouTube, download shit and watch anime.

Or is better a modern entry level note used?

Seems good to me and yes I have a t420 with the same specs and it's great for that. I'm also pretty sure it does have an Express card slot.

Have you tried searching online for it?

If that's all your doing a thinkpad is pretty good desu. You might need some more RAM though, minimum 8gb should be enough. That's what I use my T440p for, but mine costed a bit more ($400 burgerbux) since I have 3 SSDs in mine and 16gb ram

Yes but I think you need a custom bios for the x230. If it's like the t430 it probably has a battery whitelist.

No its the same battery for both, check Lenovos website

god i wish there was a way to get the T60 style keyboards working on the newer models, i hate the tall ass delete key so fuckin much like how retarded do you have to be to not just hit delete normally like a normal person FUCK it makes hitting insert more annoying

Nice quads
>What the fuck does the X220 have to do with anything?
You asked for durability, the 2570p is more durable than the x220/x230. The reason it is priced near the t430 is because they didn't soldier the cpu and by removing the DVD drive the 2570p will actually do much more than the t430, while still remaining 2lbs lighter.

Thinkpads are not even in the same league with other brands, they're just basic laptops and for the same price you can do much better.

Can you give me a quickrundown on what thinkpads are good at and what other laptops are good at (elitebook etc)

The 2570p has a large modding community because the cpu can be upgraded and the DVD drive can be replaced with whatever you like, more storage or an iGPU is the most common options.

If you need a 1080p IPS then check out the touchscreen version of the E7240 or E7250 Dell laptops, they're more modern and less durable, but they come with msata SSDs.

If you absolutely have to have a mechanical keyboard, then you could get the X220, but if that is not a concern, then I would avoid Thinkpads.

Depending on condition, ram and ssd size, you should be able to pick any of these up for between $50 to $200.

The 2570p is very retarded, look at that keyboard and that generic wallmart laptop look. yes you can upgrade the cpu, but at this time and age where you can buy a bga reworked x230 with a quadcore i7, a 13.3 fhd screen and a trusty x220 keyboard why you ever want to use something like this piece of shit hp? also wat you mean by adding an igpu in the drive storage? are you retarded? the igpu is i(ntegrated) in the cpu you parody of a human being.

My mistake I meant to say eGPU, this will allow you to use which ever graphics card you like, so you always have the option to turn the laptop into a gaming computer.

>bga reworked x230 with a quadcore i7, a 13.3 fhd screen and a trusty x220 keyboard
What you are referring to is very expensive and equally stupid, no one wants to buy an overpriced, riced up x220 when there are so many better options for a fraction of the price.

thinkpads can do egpu too and without any mod needed.
show me the better options then.

I'm not sure if you stupid or trolling, but if you really don't understand what it means to have extra input on the motherboard then you should probably just stick with the Thinkpad.

>71777777

>you can buy a bga reworked x230 with a quadcore i7
Who is selling this?

I literally need nothing in a laptop but the ability to run Serato DJ Pro flawlessly. I'd like something that if stolen doesnt cost me a lot to replace. My dell g3 that I used got yoinked at a gig. Anyone else I know who DJ's seriously still swears by macbooks but there has to be a better alternative right?

What size computer do you need?

smaller is better. I already travel with a big Pioneer ddj-sr2

An X230 is a pretty good laptop for what you need then imo, 12.5” screen. Should be

Should I get a t440p or a t430?
I like the quad core option on the t440p, but realistically I'm probably just going to upgrade the ram and hdd. I really prefer the classic features on the t430 though.

Attached: t440p-vs-t430.png (1862x954, 1.71M)

Is $100 too much to pay for a T430 wit i5 / 8GB / 320GB HDD? It's in really nice condition and it's really convenient for me to pick up. I was thinking of offering $80.

Doesn't say which i5. I was thinking of upgrading it anyways though. I heard you can't upgrade a t430 to quad core. That true?

Attached: t430.jpg (600x291, 18K)

Is there any method of recovery BIOS for X60 without a flasher?
Like on a new Gookpads with flash drive/CD-disk and hotkey pressed on boot?

T440p if you want future proof/computer that you can upgrade in the future

Otherwise go T430

Try and bargain him down a little, maybe $80-$90 Thats a good deal though

extra input for what that a thinkpad dont already have? are you retarded?

chinks on taobao.
try ask xytechxytech on normiebook.

you can upgrade to quadcore the 430 too, and you can swap in the 420 keyboard for extra classic features.

The impression I'm getting is that if I want a new laptop (post 2013), ThinkPad isn't the way to go. Or are even the newer ThinkPads superior to alternatives?

Ordered a new T480 last week. Should arrive today, but delivery people are retarded.

I read up on Superfish and the rootkit thing, and the government's concerns about Lenovo being in bed with Xi. Should we be worried about buying their products? How should I protect my privacy while running windows?

As I understand it, new ThinkPads are still better designed than most commercial laptops. The screen leaves something to be wanting, though.

Hello, can I put an i7 and >4GB ram into the x201?

Attached: tumblr_pnap6hFnhj1w9iexs_400.gif (268x396, 1.51M)

My X230 arrives today. I'm getting excited, what distro should I put on it?

Attached: 2mlqb1mztn6z.jpg (734x1000, 255K)

Windows 10™

T450 (i5-5300U, 8GB RAM) or T440s (i7-4600U, 12GB RAM, 20% more expensive)?
Which one would you buy? Do you think there's a big difference?

Pic related?

Instal gentoo

>tfw X1C 3rd gen with 1080p for 200€

Attached: happy Otoyomegatari.png (740x200, 125K)

tzuyu is always related.

im in the market for a business craptop
is the 2570p really worth putting my irrational hate boner of HP aside?

last two laptops I've gotten from them have been garbage I legitimately don't trust them with build quality anymore

if you buy what that retard is shilling you're only going to hate HP even more

will hitting my x200 tablet with some canned air and reapplying the thermal paste make it not smell like burning hair?
Related: are the face buttons ACPI events or are they fucked? Showed nothing on xev and now it's taken apart so I can't check...

no you can find them cheaper from schools and businesses selling them off. you can even get better on craigslist.

hello /tpg/

>be me
>europoor uni student in need of laptop

just bought an x220 (i5, 8GB RAM, SSD) for 140 eurobucks

did i fuck up?

Normal 2nd hand price in europe

Netbsd

paypig here
thinking of buying the new x1 carbonara as i can get a pretty gud deal with the student discount + resale market is shit where i live
im thinking of getting the UHD 4k screen but general consensus seems to be that its shit/battery hog/scales like ass with linux/useless on a 14' display. should i save some bux and get a FHD display instead?

I have the same problem with my x61t
The buttons register only in laptop mode
The rotation and tools buttons have keycodes, but you'll need to rebind them (I did so through my wm)
The escape, enter and arrows worked out the box

you can put 8gb ram max i think. and yes, it exist with first generation i7, but its soldered so either you buy an i7 x201 or you stick with whats already in your.

I have a t580

Bad times lads. My x230 won't use the battery -- it shows up in linux and shows 100%, but goes black the instant ac is removed.
Anyone encountered this?

What wifi cards are compatible with a T440p? My current one only has 2Ghz support.

aliexpress.com/item/32833607205.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.4c2a4c4dApw8Bj

i just received my t420, is it worth upgrading from the nvs 4200m to a quadro k1100m? from what i see the upgrade is possible, correct me if wrong, but is it worth it?

>Bag with T450s in it fell out of my work locker
>Screens all fucked up
>have to go back to T420 until I can afford a new one
>Try to get 1tb SSD out of 450 so I can at least have a decent drive in my old machine
>Somehow strip two screws in the process of taking the backplate off, backplate is now stuck and I'm afraid I've damaged a ribbon cable trying to pry the plate up so I could ease tension on one of the screws and wiggle it out

Fucking kill me

I can speak from experience, HP's gone WAAAY downhill for like the last 15 years. One example I can think of off the top of my head was an HP laptop from ~2013 or 14 maybe that completely shit it's SSD. The ownler lost all of their data. Not even half a year after the laptop was bought.

I'm missing some screws on my T440p, namely the ones that hold the service panel in place. Is there somewhere that I can buy a complete set of screws from?

FRU 04X5422 Screw and Tape Kit

download.lenovo.com/parts/ThinkPad/t440p_frubom_20160614.pdf

If it is possible (I've never heard of it) then absolutely go for it. It's like 10x better. Performance of the K1100M is comparable to a GT730, little bit better actually.

Think my X220 is finally dying. Whenever you move it, it crashes. Which is pretty inconvenient when I am moving between labs for work.
Would I be better off upgrading to the X230 for my next model?

I find that HP's business laptops are perfectly serviceable. I bought my dad an 840 G3, it's pretty good all around, build quality is nice and the keyboard is no worse than the new Thinkpads. My brother bought an 820 G4 shortly thereafter. Main complaints: the HP trackpoint equivalent is total dogshit, if they were smart they would copy the IBM/Lenovo design now that the patents have been expired for a full two years. The screen is not great, just like the Thinkpads, but at least it's 1080p. All that being said it was definitely the cheapest of the 14" mainstream business laptops, and you're not making many sacrifices to save a couple hundred bucks.

Very thorough statistical analysis I must say.

I know this general mainly focusses on older thinkpads but is a S1 Yoga for $200 AUD good value?

Screen is a bit aids assuming its only offered with the 768p panel like it is in most stores in the UK, decent sized ssd as seemingly stock is nice but not the amazing bargain it used to be

If you can find a t series with a screen option you like for similar money its probably all around way better

The model I am looking at has a 1080P screen.

Yeah pretty good then, a laptop with 4-8gb of ram with a decent 1080p panel for 200 is a pretty good deal regardless of where you're from

Thanks daddy

Generally what models are in demand on ebay?

>Very thorough statistical analysis I must say.
That was one example. I and many of my friends/classmates/family members have had awful experiences with HP computers and laptops. Pretty much anything before 2004 from them I've never had problems with.

it's probably cheaper if you buy just the screws you need somewhere. On page 61 you should find the exact screws you need.

download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/t440p_hmm_en_sp40a25467_04.pdf

I'm hopefully joining a new company soon and need to get a laptop. My X230 is a wonderful machine, but it only does up to 16GB of RAM, but I need more to run VMs.

Does Lenovo do a 13" 32GB machine? What other options do I have?

The X230 might even be enough if only it could run 3 external monitors -- but that doesn't appear to be possible -- can user confirm?

The great thing about my X230 is a literally have no fear of it being lost/destroyed/stolen, because it's so cheap to replace.

$200 budget. what's a good laptop for java development?

Get the i7 because you can't "upgrade" it. It's soldered. It takes 8GB with regular BIOS. Get an Ultrabase for maximum respect. I bought my x201t for taking notes in college, great digitizer. Now I work in VMs for work and it does just fine.

Swap the 220 motherboard with a 230 one

What m2 sata will fit a T440p? kinda want to utilize that port

Attached: IMG_20190707_104039.jpg (2102x1237, 501K)

m2 2242 sata ssd

octoperf.com/blog/2018/11/07/thinkpad-t440p-buyers-guide/#hdd-and-ssd-storage

thanks duge

I've got a latitude e6430 and that shit heats up like a bitch. How would I deal with this bruvs? I cleaned it the other day but it didn't help

Attached: FB_IMG_1562522817449.jpg (429x336, 19K)

change the thermal paste and clean the fan if you haven't

Your company will give you a laptop to use. Never heard of one allowing your own.

Your company will give you a laptop to use. I never heard of a company letting you bring your own laptop.

fyi you can remove the whitelist on the t440p by taking advantage of a bug. just have to downgrade bios to a certain version

>avoid thinkpads
Touchpad faggot detected.
Don't listen to sorethumbs here. He doesnt know what hes talking about.

Attached: 1561140854099.gif (330x422, 975K)

it's becoming more common. BYO and they reimburse you. This way you get the machine you want but you gotta support it yourself. Canonical does this.

Just got a new T480.

I wanted to do a clean install incase the chinks are spying on me with some bloatware voodoo magic, but I kept getting an error when trying to create a recovery drive.

Are clean windows installs on new thinkpads a waste of time? I hear there's pretty much no extra software on thinkpads.

I'v been hearing some bad shit about Dells and their cooling. Are you in warranty?

that's a big fumo

who is this cute young lady? asking for a friend

Attached: jeff.jpg (1184x789, 206K)

Don't bother unless you want to also write your own firmware for BIOS and EC, followed by replacing the WiFi module, Storage devices etc

I ain't saying I agree with him, but the laptop he's talking about has a trackpoint. Probably not as good as a ThinkPad's, but it has one. Didn't notice a middle button though, so I'm assuming you'd have to use the touchpad to scroll.

Attached: tripcode.png (1185x638, 44K)

What newer models support Hackingtosh? (I need Mac for Adobe and Sketch)